FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > When therapy ends

When therapy ends

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

For those that have gone through therapy or counselling for mental health issues, how ready did you feel when it came to an end?

Who's decision was it to end, yours or your therapist?

I may be facing this soon and will admit to being a bit concerned. Therapy has helped me understand why I feel like I do better but not sure if I feel better equipped to deal with the thoughts, which I think may be an ongoing issue.

I am still not sure what needs to change, if I can change, to make my life better

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I'm sure he/she won't push you out the door if you don't think you're ready...

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

I always use the old have it when I don't want it and leave it when I do.

It's too easy to have it become an emotional crutch and the therapist should be preparing their patients for the slow release

By *uietlycheekyMan  over a year ago

aberdeen

"For those that have gone through therapy or counselling for mental health issues, how ready did you feel when it came to an end?

Who's decision was it to end, yours or your therapist?

I may be facing this soon and will admit to being a bit concerned. Therapy has helped me understand why I feel like I do better but not sure if I feel better equipped to deal with the thoughts, which I think may be an ongoing issue.

I am still not sure what needs to change, if I can change, to make my life better "

Bittersweet when I was discharged…. Delighted I’d finally got to a place where I was ‘back in business’

My counsellor was awesome .. weirdly/awkwardly it felt like a break up … you know one of those awkward ‘well I’ll see you around I guess ‘ moments !

By *ayHaychMan  over a year ago

Leeds (Home) / Sheffield (Work)

Endings is therapy can very be complex. A contract should always be made at the beginning of therapy. Therapists should be preparing their clients for the ending, even with a basic “today is session x and we have x more after today”.

It is like a break up though, especially when you have got to know someones deepest pains and you’ve worked together for many many months.

One thing which is useful is to identify what it was from the therapy which helped, and how you can use your own resources, support networks, or other networks/groups to get the similar things. This is why peer support groups can be so helpful, especially for those who need to be heard and validated.

A side note. Some private therapists (not all!!!) be it practitioner psychologists, therapists, counsellors, etc may string people a long for quite a while to make more money. The NHS doesn’t have the budget to offer endless therapy. Any therapist you see should be accredited by a UK body in my opinion (for example BPS, HCPC, BABCP, etc).

By *irthandgirthMan  over a year ago

Camberley occasionally doncaster

Not as informed as some other opinions on here. I was very lucky when I received counselling, I only needed a few sessions and was given the tools to move on on my own. I was starting to get to the point where I was thinking up stuff to say just to fill the time. For me that was counterproductive. We agreed that I should concentrate on applying the tools I had learnt.

By *orthcoupleCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle

"Endings is therapy can very be complex. A contract should always be made at the beginning of therapy. Therapists should be preparing their clients for the ending, even with a basic “today is session x and we have x more after today”.

It is like a break up though, especially when you have got to know someones deepest pains and you’ve worked together for many many months.

One thing which is useful is to identify what it was from the therapy which helped, and how you can use your own resources, support networks, or other networks/groups to get the similar things. This is why peer support groups can be so helpful, especially for those who need to be heard and validated.

A side note. Some private therapists (not all!!!) be it practitioner psychologists, therapists, counsellors, etc may string people a long for quite a while to make more money. The NHS doesn’t have the budget to offer endless therapy. Any therapist you see should be accredited by a UK body in my opinion (for example BPS, HCPC, BABCP, etc). "

All excellent advice, also, therapy should probably have set goals from the start which should make closure easier to identify

I (ragnar)ended my counselling when I felt ready, my counsellor was more than happy for me to do it, as she felt I had progressed.

We kept in contact for a short while, she kept an eye on me just in case.

[Removed by poster at 28/07/22 13:29:35]

"I (ragnar)ended my counselling when I felt ready, my counsellor was more than happy for me to do it, as she felt I had progressed.

"

Insert Mandalorian "this is the way" GIF

I knew I was ready to finish up as I felt I was covering old ground. Still felt a wee bit scary stepping away from it though.

"I (ragnar)ended my counselling when I felt ready, my counsellor was more than happy for me to do it, as she felt I had progressed.

Insert Mandalorian "this is the way" GIF"

No idea what this means....

I guess it's all dependant on the reason for the referral, treatment and ongoing symptoms.

It might be that it's simply time, which is good, that's the goal.

It could be that you've run out of your alloted treatments, in which case, refer back to your gp, enquire about other services, support etc etc.

And the last and least favourite choice, you might need to go private. In which case, no more Netflix, avocado toast or Starbucks, come on, boot straps and all that other wank people say.

By *i_guy_sloughMan  over a year ago

Langley

I have been in and out of therapy pretty much my entire adult life, I don’t see it as something that will ever truly end for me but more something that I will dip in and out of as I need it.

Each time I have been through Therapy it has been my decision to bring it to an end but my therapist has only ever been a phone call away if things aren’t working out as planned so I don’t feel like the rug has been pulled from under me.

» Add a new message to this topic