FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > The Antichrist-mas

The Antichrist-mas

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Oh I really hate this time of year. As an atheist and as a human being. I'm tired and saddened by the months of constant bombardment from gaudy, feel good adverts depicting warm family values amongst scenes of snow covered beauty. I mean when was the last time anyone had a snow covered Dickensian winter scene when they opened their curtains on christmas day?

Personally, never happened. Grey misery, lots. Crisp frost, occasionally. Snow, never.

Constantly trying to get us to buy loads of shit people don't really need, for people we usually can't stand. People who alot of the time we try and avoid for most of the year, yet all of a sudden we feel compelled to invite them round for a day. To thrust their Ikea candlesticks at them and shove a large poorly cooked piece of poultry down their necks and fill them up with some nameless liquer you found at the back of your drinks cupboard.

All this of course is usually perpetrated by one of the many millions of people who claim to be christian, but yet who's arses havent seen a church pew in a month of sundays. Unless it was for someones wedding/baby drowning/funeral. And then only because you were promised free food/drink afterwards.

"But it's all about family isn't it?"

Fine. Really, I get that. So do it in the summer on a warm day and have a bloody barbeque, on a day of your choosing so it doesn't require a 4 month advertising shit-storm of greed on the slim pretence of being religiously motivated. At least if it was in summer it would be closer to Jesus actual birthday.

And yes, as an atheist I'd be happy to come in and work for double time over the bank holiday. As long as the so called christians bring in receipts from their local church saying they went to two services that day and praised the person they supposedly believe in for bringing them their saviour. Instead of sitting around eating, drinking and arguing about which bloody Bond film to watch.

Christmas. Festival of cuntery. Yes I'm in a foul mood and need coffee.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Oh I really hate this time of year. As an atheist and as a human being. I'm tired and saddened by the months of constant bombardment from gaudy, feel good adverts depicting warm family values amongst scenes of snow covered beauty. I mean when was the last time anyone had a snow covered Dickensian winter scene when they opened their curtains on christmas day?

Personally, never happened. Grey misery, lots. Crisp frost, occasionally. Snow, never.

Constantly trying to get us to buy loads of shit people don't really need, for people we usually can't stand. People who alot of the time we try and avoid for most of the year, yet all of a sudden we feel compelled to invite them round for a day. To thrust their Ikea candlesticks at them and shove a large poorly cooked piece of poultry down their necks and fill them up with some nameless liquer you found at the back of your drinks cupboard.

All this of course is usually perpetrated by one of the many millions of people who claim to be christian, but yet who's arses havent seen a church pew in a month of sundays. Unless it was for someones wedding/baby drowning/funeral. And then only because you were promised free food/drink afterwards.

Fine. Really, I get that. So do it in the summer on a warm day and have a bloody barbeque, on a day of your choosing so it doesn't require a 4 month advertising shit-storm of greed on the slim pretence of being religiously motivated. At least if it was in summer it would be closer to Jesus actual birthday.

And yes, as an atheist I'd be happy to come in and work for double time over the bank holiday. As long as the so called christians bring in receipts from their local church saying they went to two services that day and praised the person they supposedly believe in for bringing them their saviour. Instead of sitting around eating, drinking and arguing about which bloody Bond film to watch.

Christmas. Festival of cuntery. Yes I'm in a foul mood and need coffee. "

Other than that everything else ok?

I prefer Easter myself, less hectic or commercial, less pressure to buy buy buy etc...

"Oh I really hate this time of year. As an atheist and as a human being. I'm tired and saddened by the months of constant bombardment from gaudy, feel good adverts depicting warm family values amongst scenes of snow covered beauty. I mean when was the last time anyone had a snow covered Dickensian winter scene when they opened their curtains on christmas day?

wanna meet for a coffee then?

Good morning. Coffee - black or white? Slug of brandy in it? Let's compare notes then, as I'm sure mine will read pretty much the same as yours! Bah humbug all round.

Got it in a nutshell, Jodie. Love it. The one person (my ex) who constantly banged on about 'Christmas is for families' turned round 3 years ago, went into hyper-hypocrite mode and ruined 'it' for her own family.

Thank G.... Whoops! Nearly... Thankfully I was not brought up with any 'blind faith' and was never sold this belief in a winter festival, stolen from the Pagans and Romans/Greeks, held at the wrong time of year to 'celebrate' (Ha!) the birth of the central character, when we are encouraged to 'think of others less fortunate than ourselves'.

What effing good is thinking about a homeless person for a couple of days at the end of December when you couldn't give a stuff about them the rest of the year??? What good is taking a food hamper to an elderly person in December, when you don't even give a thought to offering to take them out for a day in the sunshine (when we get some) in the summer??

All a load of crap as far as I am concerned.

And if anyone wishes to refer to me as a Scrooge - go right ahead. But at least my conscience will be clear the rest of the year.....

Apologies for this being a non-Thursday rant....

Pork

Christmas. Festival of cuntery. Yes I'm in a foul mood and need coffee.

Got it in a nutshell, Jodie. Love it. The one person (my ex) who constantly banged on about 'Christmas is for families' turned round 3 years ago, went into hyper-hypocrite mode and ruined 'it' for her own family.

Thank G.... Whoops! Nearly... Thankfully I was not brought up with any 'blind faith' and was never sold this belief in a winter festival, stolen from the Pagans and Romans/Greeks, held at the wrong time of year to 'celebrate' (Ha!) the birth of the central character, when we are encouraged to 'think of others less fortunate than ourselves'.

What effing good is thinking about a homeless person for a couple of days at the end of December when you couldn't give a stuff about them the rest of the year??? What good is taking a food hamper to an elderly person in December, when you don't even give a thought to offering to take them out for a day in the sunshine (when we get some) in the summer??

All a load of crap as far as I am concerned.

And if anyone wishes to refer to me as a Scrooge - go right ahead. But at least my conscience will be clear the rest of the year.....

Apologies for this being a non-Thursday rant....

Pork"

Wanna join my bah-humbug club?

So you won't be wanting this delicious mince pie I've just cooked for you then?

"Wanna join my bah-humbug club? "

I am already Life President of the NW Kent branch aren't I...????

By *kmale421Man  over a year ago

wirral

" Pork"

Scrooge!!!!

we only bother to cook christmas dinner because my son comes round, if he didnt we wouldnt bother.

i like buying christmas presants and i like christmas decorations though.

i am bored with it after christmas day though, it goes on to long and there is too much rubish on the telly.

Man, what I said about Divali a few weeks ago was tame compared this this!

If people don't like Christmas I urge them to tell their nearest and dearest that they don't like Christmas, they don't want a present, they don't want to be invited round for dinner and, in some cases, they don't even like the person they're talking to.

But they won't.

" Pork

Scrooge!!!!

"

And proud of it!!!!!

"Man, what I said about Divali a few weeks ago was tame compared this this!

If people don't like Christmas I urge them to tell their nearest and dearest that they don't like Christmas, they don't want a present, they don't want to be invited round for dinner and, in some cases, they don't even like the person they're talking to.

But they won't."

I told my ex. Got me nowhere....

By *kmale421Man  over a year ago

wirral

I have to disagree at least a little bit with our OP.

Christmas may once have been a Christian festival, but the reality is that most people simply doff a cap at most to the religious aspect of Christmas day.

There are many Christians whom do go to Church over the Christmas period, even if that isn't actually on the day itself and to be honest even if they are "token" Christians it is good that the faith has a day in each year (2 if you correctly include Easter Sunday) where that faith is focussed.

However to associate the bandwagon of commercialism with Christianity is in my view incorrect. The commercial aspect of Christmas is focussed around Santa, almost every ad you refer to for the previous 4 months preceding Xmas day is focussed around images of Santa. I suspect that if for example, next year Santa was banned from commercial promotions and stores could only promote Christmas using imagery of Jesus, the loss of commercial sales would be dramatic.

As for Christmas dinner, I do believe it is good and nice that it enables people to focus on their families even if just for a few hours, and a small amount of attention is given to homelessness or to the little old lady down your street. Unfortunately the real world quickly breaks into this little cocoon and problems within families become exposed, one of the many after effects of Christmas.

For me personally though, despite the fact that Christmas nowadays is different to Christmas past, I'll still enjoy seeing my Mum and my daughters and brother and sister and wishing them all the best as we share a little drink at sometime over the Christmas period. Then it's onto New Years Eve and the fun of time shared with friends.

This country would be in a worse economic state if it wasnt for christmas the country needs us to spend our money to reap benefits from the tax revenue gained from christmas shopping and parties etc the list is endless !! For me its all about spending times getting Merry after a very hard year in work and being with friends and family roll on Christmas Leave

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"Man, what I said about Divali a few weeks ago was tame compared this this!

But they won't."

I try this every year Wishy. I've tried asking them not to give me presents but donate the money to charity instead and I'll do likewise. But the look of horror on their faces and incredulity in their voice you'd think I'd asked them to sacrifice a goat or something.

They all seem to think I'm being miserable and they go out of their way to try and forcibly jolly me up.

And who was it offered me a mince pie? When I get hold of you I'll make you the fairy on top of your own tree!

» Add a new message to this topic