FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Bronze

Bronze

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

So the men's 4 X 100 team have " won " a bronze

Surely the only medal you can win is a gold, the rest are just runners up prizes ?

Is the celebrating defeat ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

No

Mr

"No

Mr"

So you'd see coming third as successful ?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"So the men's 4 X 100 team have " won " a bronze

Surely the only medal you can win is a gold, the rest are just runners up prizes ?

Is the celebrating defeat ? "

No, it's celebrating coming third.

"No

Mr

So you'd see coming third as successful ?"

With two women, then yes.

No, it's celebrating coming third."

And that's a reason to celebrate ?

"No

Mr

So you'd see coming third as successful ?

With two women, then yes."

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

And that's a reason to celebrate ?"

Yes

Yes "

Coming forth and not receiving a medal. Still cause to celebrate ?

evesham

You get that it means they're third best in the world, right?

evesham

Yes

Coming forth and not receiving a medal. Still cause to celebrate ?"

Yes

Yes

Yes"

Fifth ?

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

Because you are celebrating beating the team who came 5th

"Because you are celebrating beating the team who came 5th"

Is that an achievement?

Yes

Yes

Fifth ? "

If you're good enough to compete at an international level it doesn't matter where you come in the race. You should celebrate getting there.

evesham

Yes

Yes

Fifth ? "

Yes. They've worked hard on their sport and fought their way into the final set the world championships. That in itself is quite an achievement. For a lot of countries maybe don't have the same funding and athletics programmes s the big ones such as America it's just something to be able to share the track with them.

And that's a reason to celebrate ?"

Yes. Over 4th place

"You get that it means they're third best in the world, right?"

Swansea

"No

Mr

It's a lot more successful than DNF.

I'd suggest that only a person who hasn't taken part in athletic sports and/or is very negative would ask this question. Third isn't first, but it isn't last either. Winning a bronze will feel very different to winning a gold. The word "win" can be used in lots of ways and they don't all need to be coming first. If you win a scholarship but so do 4 others are you suggesting that you shouldn't celebrate?

If it helps, I came third in my last race and absolutely I see it as a success. I went into the race massively uncertain if I'd even be capable of finishing. The conditions were horrific through the first 10 hours or so and 65% of the field were DNF. Just getting to the finish line was more than many people on earth are capable of. To do so as only the third fastest was a massive thing for me.

If you're unsure if this is a success, have a look at their times and see how close you can get.

Mr

Yes

Yes

Fifth ?

Yes. They've worked hard on their sport and fought their way into the final set the world championships. That in itself is quite an achievement. For a lot of countries maybe don't have the same funding and athletics programmes s the big ones such as America it's just something to be able to share the track with them.

"

Well made point but I still think the term " winning" a bronze is wrong.

Maybe achieved a bronze is more apt ?

I’m all for winning op. And if I compete I’m doing everything I can to be top. But as a winner knows, it’s not going to be continuous, you have to not be scared to lose.

And yes, I would think 1st and 2nd had beat me, but I have still come third out of that race. And unless it was out of a race of 3, And I’ve ran my absolute best in that moment. I’m happy. If your not celebrating with me, then you can shove it up your ass and let me watch you do better!…………. No? Didn’t think so.

Leeds

"

Maybe achieved a bronze is more apt ?"

People still win the booby prize

"I’m all for winning op. And if I compete I’m doing everything I can to be top. But as a winner knows, it’s not going to be continuous, you have to not be scared to lose.

And yes, I would think 1st and 2nd had beat me, but I have still come third out of that race. And unless it was out of a race of 3, And I’ve ran my absolute best in that moment. I’m happy. If your not celebrating with me, then you can shove it up your ass and let me watch you do better!…………. No? Didn’t think so. "

Two people did.

evesham

Yes

Yes

Fifth ?

Maybe achieved a bronze is more apt ?"

Did anyone else get the bronze? No, just them. Therefore they won it.

Again, quite often at that level you know who will come first before the starter gun goes off so the real race is to determine the lower medals.

Winning posits is very important in a lot of sports as it determines your seed position etc and can, in some sports, dictate which heats etc you start in at other competitions in the year.

It's much more nuanced than sports day at school

"I’m all for winning op. And if I compete I’m doing everything I can to be top. But as a winner knows, it’s not going to be continuous, you have to not be scared to lose.

And yes, I would think 1st and 2nd had beat me, but I have still come third out of that race. And unless it was out of a race of 3, And I’ve ran my absolute best in that moment. I’m happy. If your not celebrating with me, then you can shove it up your ass and let me watch you do better!…………. No? Didn’t think so.

Two people did. "

And they both have their own reasons to celebrate for what they achieved. They don’t take away from my PB or my dream of beating 4th because that’s the absolute best I could have done.

Do you not understand that winning a medal is still winning a medal regardless of colour?

Voronezh wouldn’t have been preferred, but you can celebrate over all the other losers.

*bronze wouldn’t be preferred.

Swansea

"

Maybe achieved a bronze is more apt ?

People still win the booby prize"

Exactly. They didn't win the race, they won a bronze, in rugby you can win the wooden spoon.

I think your question has two parts op. Firstly is semantics about the word win and this post from Sally shows why you're wrong.

The second was about celebrating an achievement and frankly if you can't understand why being just the 3rd fastest in the whole world is worth celebrating, nothing anyone will say is going to change your opinion. I'd suggest though that it's a view very few people share. Or, this whole part is a troll.

Mr

By *arlomaleMan  over a year ago

darlington

As my old manager would say 2nd you mite as well finish 22nd he was ya typical shouting swearing angry man glad they are not many about now at grass roots football

"As my old manager would say 2nd you mite as well finish 22nd he was ya typical shouting swearing angry man glad they are not many about now at grass roots football "

You mean winners ?

darlington

"As my old manager would say 2nd you mite as well finish 22nd he was ya typical shouting swearing angry man glad they are not many about now at grass roots football

You mean winners ? "

???

"As my old manager would say 2nd you mite as well finish 22nd he was ya typical shouting swearing angry man glad they are not many about now at grass roots football "

I get this mindset though. Kind of. Many footballers who come runners up immediately take off there medal after receiving it because that’s not what they wanted.

Some people can’t bear to lose that game, but over all they then should remember that celebrated to get to that final match.

"As my old manager would say 2nd you mite as well finish 22nd he was ya typical shouting swearing angry man glad they are not many about now at grass roots football

I get this mindset though. Kind of. Many footballers who come runners up immediately take off there medal after receiving it because that’s not what they wanted.

Some people can’t bear to lose that game, but over all they then should remember that celebrated to get to that final match. "

So as I said the bronze medal is an achievement and well done for that

But to describe it as winning a bronze I'm not so sure.

evesham

Some people can’t bear to lose that game, but over all they then should remember that celebrated to get to that final match.

"

Well whenever you've trained you're while life to achieve something on the international stage and come 3rd in the world at the thing you've dedicated your life to and sacrificed so much for you can tell us how you feel about it.

To shit all over their achievements by saying they lost is pretty awful in my books.

Well whenever you've trained you're while life to achieve something on the international stage and come 3rd in the world at the thing you've dedicated your life to and sacrificed so much for you can tell us how you feel about it.

To shit all over their achievements by saying they lost is pretty awful in my books. "

To shit all over their achievements by saying they lost is pretty awful in my books. "

They did lose surely that's obvious

I never said it wasn't an achievement

darlington

Some people can’t bear to lose that game, but over all they then should remember that celebrated to get to that final match. "

his problem was he thought shouting would make us better looking back he was a product of his time where the shouting swearing was probably seen as motivation glad to see things have moved on especially in the grass roots of football

Some people can’t bear to lose that game, but over all they then should remember that celebrated to get to that final match. his problem was he thought shouting would make us better looking back he was a product of his time where the shouting swearing was probably seen as motivation glad to see things have moved on especially in the grass roots of football "

I shouted (grass roots) dimly passionate and encouraging screaming. I never berated or swore or pointed out mistakes. But I get involved like I’m on the pitch.

Once a player always a player I suppose.

Your manager sounds like a dick. But I do get where he’s coming from wanting to be first or nothing. How he projected that and encourage that is a different way of managing I suppose.

By *rAitchMan  over a year ago

Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe

In my early teens I took part in motorbike competitions. I wasn't that good and always finished in the lower end of the results table.

My dad used to say "don't worry about it. It's taking part that counts, and if it wasn't for losers like you, there'd be no winners".

He also used to say "well, if nothing else, you're consistent. Consistently crap, but consistant".

My dad certainly knew how to give encouragement! His sayings may sound negative, but spurred me on to win an event and achieve 6th overall in the season out of 50 or 60 competitors. I still have my trophies!

OP, You could watch the interview with Matthew Hudson Smith, and guage whether he felt bronze was a runner's up medal?

[Removed by poster at 24/07/22 09:07:33]

The Olympics introduced the 3 medals in 1904 and you’ve only just got round to questioning it now.

"No

Mr

In a menage yes

By *ife NinjaMan  over a year ago

Dunfermline

The OP could, of course, train and take part, and let us know how it felt

Leeds

"The OP could, of course, train and take part, and let us know how it felt "

And if he came second we wouldn't clap !

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Is the celebrating defeat ? "

No, success is what you make it. Celebrate being the best you can be

Tin town

Yes

Could be. Depends on context.

By *ife NinjaMan  over a year ago

Dunfermline

"The OP could, of course, train and take part, and let us know how it felt

And if he came second we wouldn't clap !"

Good idea. If you're dedicated enough to do athletics, take whatever prize is given you x

By *melia DominaTV/TS  over a year ago

Edinburgh (She/Her)

[Removed by poster at 24/07/22 09:12:18]

By *melia DominaTV/TS  over a year ago

Edinburgh (She/Her)

"No

Mr

Absolutely...

A third place runner will feel so much better than someone who is second. It is a psychological thing (ted talk.. very interesting)

Third place - I have achieved a medal.

Second place - I could have one!!

Don't get me wrong. First would be great. But would rather be third than second...

Tin town

Did he achieve much success?

As someone famous once said, people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel.

"The OP could, of course, train and take part, and let us know how it felt "

I've come second third forth etc many times

Not once did it feel as good as winning

Not sure what that says about me

Tin town

"The OP could, of course, train and take part, and let us know how it felt

I've come second third forth etc many times

Not once did it feel as good as winning

Not sure what that says about me "

Isn't the point that success and winning and what they choose to celebrate can be different for different people.? The fact nothing other than 1st place is "winning" for you (which is fare enough) doesn't mean its the same for everyone else.

By *riel13Woman  over a year ago

Northampton

Yes

If it's better than you have done before, why isn't it?

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

Getting Silver and Bronze encourages you to do better next time I think.

Leeds

My daughter passed her English GCSE on her third attempt. She didn't need to get the top mark for us to celebrate, we were just delighted that she had passed

By *ohn KanakaMan  over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

It's all relative. If you've won gold at the last championship I'm pretty sure bronze isn't seen as a success.

But if it is a sign of progress and/or being competitive at championship level than its definitely a success.

And for a young competitor at their first championships or a competitor returning from injury, just getting in to the final or even semi final can be a success if it matches or betters the expectation.

Success isn't just a gold medal

By *ooBulMan  over a year ago

Missin’ Yo’ Kissin’

Nope!

It's celebrating all the hard work, relationships lost, friendships put on hold, injuries & getting over injuries. Getting picked, not picked. Maintaining training when you'd rather stay in bed like everyone else. Getting up early. Travelling. Losing. Wanting to give up[ but carrying on. Wanting to cry but remaining stoic.

So in essence NO! It's well deserved. Much better than being 4th..... Cos that is close but no carrot!!!!

Missin’ Yo’ Kissin’

"Nope!

It's celebrating all the hard work, relationships lost, friendships put on hold, injuries & getting over injuries. Getting picked, not picked. Maintaining training when you'd rather stay in bed like everyone else. Getting up early. Travelling. Losing. Wanting to give up[ but carrying on. Wanting to cry but remaining stoic.

So in essence NO! It's well deserved. Much better than being 4th..... Cos that is close but no carrot!!!! "

.... OR, should I say "close but no Carat?"

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Back in the day I was a half decent sprinter

Nowadays though I'd be lucky to finish

I doubt Lucy Bronze would be happy if The Lionesses came third in Euro 2022

Missin’ Yo’ Kissin’

"Back in the day I was a half decent sprinter

I doubt Lucy Bronze would be happy if The Lionesses came third in Euro 2022 "

Success & failure is all about learning from life.....

If they do they will dust themselves off & start again. If they do come 3rd (and I hope they don't), they will learn a lot about themselves!

When you fail you learn volumes!

Tin town

"Back in the day I was a half decent sprinter

I doubt Lucy Bronze would be happy if The Lionesses came third in Euro 2022

Success & failure is all about learning from life.....

If they do they will dust themselves off & start again. If they do come 3rd (and I hope they don't), they will learn a lot about themselves!

When you fail you learn volumes! "

And learn equally from your successes... (apparently)!

» Add a new message to this topic