FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > London 2036?

London 2036?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *abio OP   Man  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

So…. With how much it costs a new city to host an Olympic Games the IOC are struggling to find a viable solution when it comes back to a possible European turn to host

So London are possibly looking at hosting again… all the venues are still there bar 1 or 2 which actually in real terms wouldn’t cost a lot of money to retrofit

It would need government approval to bid

So… would you support another Olympics here???

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yes

Absolutely, the 2012 Olympics were incredible and it seemed everyone in the country was engaged.

Also as you say most of the infrastructure is there bar one or two so from a sustainability perspective it makes sense

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

By 2036 central London will be 20 feet under sea level, and the summer temperature will range between -20 at night to +75 during the day. Ebola will have taken 95% of the population due to an unfortunate "herd immunity" policy that Liz Truss mandates in 2029, stating that it just needs two weeks to flatten the curve. The computer virus of 2027 destroys all electric car systems, meanwhile the same year fuel for internal combustion engine vehicles reaches £2000 a litre. That's okay though as nobody is travelling due to the fragmentation of the United Kingdom and the hard borders at 10 mile intervals throughout England. In 2035 the North Sea freezes over in June, and the Mediterranean evaporates. I doubt that anyone will be worrying about where to hold the Olympics.

"By 2036 central London will be 20 feet under sea level"

That's the swimming pool sorted

By *ohn KanakaMan  over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

But there's no accommodation at the Olympic site anymore? How would that work?

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"But there's no accommodation at the Olympic site anymore? How would that work?"

I'm sure they can make a temporary Olympic village.

I loved loved loved the 2012 games and was lucky enough to help out.

If it came back again I'm not sure we could re capture the magic of 2012 but it certainly would be special and I wouldn't complain.

Would this mean more Olympic football at St James’?

By *orthwhile27Man  over a year ago

dark side of the moon

Absolutely

By *oeBeansMan  over a year ago

Derby

"By 2036 central London will be 20 feet under sea level, and the summer temperature will range between -20 at night to +75 during the day. Ebola will have taken 95% of the population due to an unfortunate "herd immunity" policy that Liz Truss mandates in 2029, stating that it just needs two weeks to flatten the curve. The computer virus of 2027 destroys all electric car systems, meanwhile the same year fuel for internal combustion engine vehicles reaches £2000 a litre. That's okay though as nobody is travelling due to the fragmentation of the United Kingdom and the hard borders at 10 mile intervals throughout England. In 2035 the North Sea freezes over in June, and the Mediterranean evaporates. I doubt that anyone will be worrying about where to hold the Olympics."

May I ask where you get your sunny disposition on life?

Nope. I was supposed to work the 2012 Olympics but refused. By 2036 it will be like the Eurovision Song Contest....and think of the carbon footprint it will generate!...

[Removed by poster at 22/07/22 21:37:44]

"But there's no accommodation at the Olympic site anymore? How would that work?

I'm sure they can make a temporary Olympic village.

I loved loved loved the 2012 games and was lucky enough to help out.

If it came back again I'm not sure we could re capture the magic of 2012 but it certainly would be special and I wouldn't complain."

I think it would be great too, but there's a lot of bitterness in East London that the compulsory land purchases that created the site led to luxury flats (many of which are empty) and not the promised affordable/social housing and I can't see it going well.

Plus there's been huge changes to parts of the site since the games, the stadium itself was reduced in size, the velodrome would need rebuilding, would it not just be cheaper to start from scratch somewhere else like Glasgow or Edinburgh rather than rehash what was an incredible time in London?

No its time we had a world cup

By 2036 will be too old to give a shit about Olympics

Or starved to death or frozen as food and heating bills will be astronomical by then

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

Yes - 100%.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"By 2036 central London will be 20 feet under sea level, and the summer temperature will range between -20 at night to +75 during the day. Ebola will have taken 95% of the population due to an unfortunate "herd immunity" policy that Liz Truss mandates in 2029, stating that it just needs two weeks to flatten the curve. The computer virus of 2027 destroys all electric car systems, meanwhile the same year fuel for internal combustion engine vehicles reaches £2000 a litre. That's okay though as nobody is travelling due to the fragmentation of the United Kingdom and the hard borders at 10 mile intervals throughout England. In 2035 the North Sea freezes over in June, and the Mediterranean evaporates. I doubt that anyone will be worrying about where to hold the Olympics.

May I ask where you get your sunny disposition on life? "

Don't worry, climate change will thaw us all out

By *ed and WolfieCouple  over a year ago

Gravesend

Waste of time and money. Most of the sports aren't real sports anyway, and by then the all inclusive woke society will insist that unless everyone gets a medal you are being discriminatory lol

"Waste of time and money. Most of the sports aren't real sports anyway, and by then the all inclusive woke society will insist that unless everyone gets a medal you are being discriminatory lol"

Wonder how many different sexes there will be by then

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

Plus there's been huge changes to parts of the site since the games, the stadium itself was reduced in size, the velodrome would need rebuilding, would it not just be cheaper to start from scratch somewhere else like Glasgow or Edinburgh rather than rehash what was an incredible time in London?"

Actually in terms of the Olympic stadium you could put that upper tier back on … plus West Ham might not actually mind the increased capacity, upper tier also back on the swimming pool, retrofit the velodrome, one more temp indoor arena a la the copper box (which is what London did for it to be rebuilt for Rio!) and the rest were basically temporary seating arenas….

In terms of money it would cost far less than one from scratch which is what you would need to do for any other uk city…

Yes and the Olympic football can go all around the country, the sailing again in Weymouth

The housing would be the only real issue because even since the Olympics Stratfords transport connections have gotten better

By *eroLondonMan  over a year ago

Mayfair

"By 2036 central London will be 20 feet under sea level, and the summer temperature will range between -20 at night to +75 during the day. Ebola will have taken 95% of the population due to an unfortunate "herd immunity" policy that Liz Truss mandates in 2029, stating that it just needs two weeks to flatten the curve. The computer virus of 2027 destroys all electric car systems, meanwhile the same year fuel for internal combustion engine vehicles reaches £2000 a litre. That's okay though as nobody is travelling due to the fragmentation of the United Kingdom and the hard borders at 10 mile intervals throughout England. In 2035 the North Sea freezes over in June, and the Mediterranean evaporates. I doubt that anyone will be worrying about where to hold the Olympics.

From a fortune cookie inside a McDonald's Håppy Meål.

"Waste of time and money. Most of the sports aren't real sports anyway, and by then the all inclusive woke society will insist that unless everyone gets a medal you are being discriminatory lol"

Which sports aren't real sports?

By *eroLondonMan  over a year ago

Mayfair

"Waste of time and money. Most of the sports aren't real sports anyway, and by then the all inclusive woke society will insist that unless everyone gets a medal you are being discriminatory lol

Which sports aren't real sports?"

One-legged arse-kicking contests?

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Waste of time and money. Most of the sports aren't real sports anyway, and by then the all inclusive woke society will insist that unless everyone gets a medal you are being discriminatory lol

Which sports aren't real sports?"

Back in my day when men were men and didn't bother with all this sissy grooming, sports were sport and people were 'ard.

Back in my day when men were men and didn't bother with all this sissy grooming, sports were sport and people were 'ard."

Sissy grooming would be a great sport for 2036

Stockport

Let's face it, almost any weird shit that I make up is going to underestimate real life. After all, who would have believed anybody 14 years ago if they predicted that in 2022

- We would be nearly 4 years into a world wide pandemic with no end in sight

- Russia would be openly conducting a war against a neighbouring country, utterly flattening towns and cities with bombs and shells

- Temperatures in England would be reaching new record highs every year and villages would be getting burned down

- There would be permanent 20 mile queues of traffic on the roads to Dover, caused by England itself mandating crippling trade and movement barriers between us and the European continent

- The Prime Minister would introduce laws making it illegal to have parties, then openly run his own d*unken gatherings where photographs were taken, and finally flatly deny that those gatherings occurred even when the photographs were published on the front pages of national newspapers

- A woman with all the intelligence of 50 kilos of lard would be the front runner to replace the above Prime Minister who was still refusing to leave office even after he had made a not-resignation statement

- Inflation would be reaching double digits and millions of UK workers would be in a situation that they could not even afford to buy food for their families, where mass starvation would occur if it was not for charities giving out food

- Every hospital in the country would be loaded at 100% during the typically slow season of summer, and average response time when needing an emergency ambulance could be 15 hours in some places

- Cases of polio, ebola, and bubonic plague were being reported every couple of days

- A disease related to smallpox would have grown within a matter of weeks from a single initial case in Europe to several thousands across the entire first world, and no sign of the infection reducing

- Donald Trump would have been the US president, refused to step down even when he lost the following election, and would have attempted to incite civil war so that he could stay in power

- The price for domestic gas and electricity could triple in less than a year

- Single men would still not be able to get a shag on Fabswingers?

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

"But there's no accommodation at the Olympic site anymore? How would that work?"

I can put a few of the male gymnasts up for a couple of weeks

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

Let's face it, almost any weird shit that I make up is going to underestimate real life. After all, who would have believed anybody 14 years ago if they predicted that in 2022

- Russia would be openly conducting a war against a neighbouring country, utterly flattening towns and cities with bombs and shells

- Temperatures in England would be reaching new record highs every year and villages would be getting burned down

- There would be permanent 20 mile queues of traffic on the roads to Dover, caused by England itself mandating crippling trade and movement barriers between us and the European continent

- The Prime Minister would introduce laws making it illegal to have parties, then openly run his own d*unken gatherings where photographs were taken, and finally flatly deny that those gatherings occurred even when the photographs were published on the front pages of national newspapers

- A woman with all the intelligence of 50 kilos of lard would be the front runner to replace the above Prime Minister who was still refusing to leave office even after he had made a not-resignation statement

- Inflation would be reaching double digits and millions of UK workers would be in a situation that they could not even afford to buy food for their families, where mass starvation would occur if it was not for charities giving out food

- Every hospital in the country would be loaded at 100% during the typically slow season of summer, and average response time when needing an emergency ambulance could be 15 hours in some places

- Cases of polio, ebola, and bubonic plague were being reported every couple of days

- A disease related to smallpox would have grown within a matter of weeks from a single initial case in Europe to several thousands across the entire first world, and no sign of the infection reducing

- Donald Trump would have been the US president, refused to step down even when he lost the following election, and would have attempted to incite civil war so that he could stay in power

- Single men would still not be able to get a shag on Fabswingers?"

This read like a Terry Pratchett book to me

Stick 'em in Buckingham Palace

By *ellhungvweMan  over a year ago

Cheltenham

- Single men would still not be able to get a shag on Fabswingers?"

On the plus side you have finally written the full dictionary definition for hyperbole so that is a positive

Newcastle and Gateshead

"No its time we had a world cup "

That’s not happening any time soon… Asia in 2022… North America in 26, then probably South America for the anniversary in 30 , probably Africa in 34 so earliest Europe will probably host again is 34 or 38!!!

Got much more chance of getting a euros here … could be as soon as 2028 ! You also have enough grade a stadium here in England to host a 24 team tournament on your own!

By *acksparrow99Man  over a year ago

Canary Wharf, London

No. Living in London is hard enough without extra tens of thousands of people visiting the place.

By *ed and WolfieCouple  over a year ago

Gravesend

Back in my day when men were men and didn't bother with all this sissy grooming, sports were sport and people were 'ard.

Sissy grooming would be a great sport for 2036"

Not real sports: rhythmic gymnastics, synchronised swimming, poncing about on a horse whilst it dances........

I think we should host it again but I don't think it would be in London. Manchester or Birmingham could definitely hold the Olympics. Whilst London 2012 did cause some animosity and lots of people and businesses were relocated against there will on the whole it did great things for East London.

Not real sports: rhythmic gymnastics, synchronised swimming, poncing about on a horse whilst it dances........"

Have you any idea the skill and athleticism needed for those 3 things? You have probably managed to name the most skilled sports possible.

Not real sports: rhythmic gymnastics, synchronised swimming, poncing about on a horse whilst it dances........

Have you any idea the skill and athleticism needed for those 3 things? You have probably managed to name the most skilled sports possible. "

I'd argue any activity that depends solely on judges for deeming the winner is more of an art than a sport.

Not that it matters.

By *oxesMan  over a year ago

Southend, Essex

"So…. With how much it costs a new city to host an Olympic Games the IOC are struggling to find a viable solution when it comes back to a possible European turn to host

So London are possibly looking at hosting again… all the venues are still there bar 1 or 2 which actually in real terms wouldn’t cost a lot of money to retrofit

So… would you support another Olympics here??? "

Put it simply hell yeah . . . As what Brisbane olympics will do move some sports multiple or different cities thusly spreading the amount of people around the country causing less costs.

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

Great just what we need, more episodes of the last leg...

Stockport

- Single men would still not be able to get a shag on Fabswingers?

This read like a Terry Pratchett book to me "

Pratchett would never have come up with anything as farfetched and plainly ridiculous as that lot!

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"So…. With how much it costs a new city to host an Olympic Games the IOC are struggling to find a viable solution when it comes back to a possible European turn to host

So… would you support another Olympics here??? "

Lets have another Olympic legacy. The last one went so well after all.

Will be the LIV Olympics by then anyway and in Saudi.

Grenfell.... for example.... still not found that money have they?

By *elvet RopeMan  over a year ago

by the big field

Stick them all in some travelodges at a cost of £2billion...2/3rds of which will be snaffled in to the usual suspects back pockets

couple, us we him her.

"

Plus there's been huge changes to parts of the site since the games, the stadium itself was reduced in size, the velodrome would need rebuilding, would it not just be cheaper to start from scratch somewhere else like Glasgow or Edinburgh rather than rehash what was an incredible time in London?

Actually in terms of the Olympic stadium you could put that upper tier back on … plus West Ham might not actually mind the increased capacity, upper tier also back on the swimming pool, retrofit the velodrome, one more temp indoor arena a la the copper box (which is what London did for it to be rebuilt for Rio!) and the rest were basically temporary seating arenas….

In terms of money it would cost far less than one from scratch which is what you would need to do for any other uk city…

Yes and the Olympic football can go all around the country, the sailing again in Weymouth

The housing would be the only real issue because even since the Olympics Stratfords transport connections have gotten better "

Isn't there enough

Seized russian oligarchs mansion's to accommodate all of the athletes

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

What sports represented at the Olympics are not real sports

couple, us we him her.

"I think we should host it again but I don't think it would be in London. Manchester or Birmingham could definitely hold the Olympics. Whilst London 2012 did cause some animosity and lots of people and businesses were relocated against there will on the whole it did great things for East London. "

The whole point is that most of the infrastructure is in place in terms of facilities and London hosting it again is to save money building new facilities.

Why move it from the CAPITAL?

Just to appease the north???

England is small enough to have event's held all over and in fact couldn't Manchester and Birmingham be used to house the athletes,by then (hopefully) Hs2 would be completed and the Olympic village can then be used for proper affordable housing in deprived areas of both cities and are still only (if the Hs2 is running) only 45 mins for The Capital .

But I'm sure all the moaning mini's and NIMBYs will be wingeing soon enough.

evesham

"I think we should host it again but I don't think it would be in London. Manchester or Birmingham could definitely hold the Olympics. Whilst London 2012 did cause some animosity and lots of people and businesses were relocated against there will on the whole it did great things for East London.

The whole point is that most of the infrastructure is in place in terms of facilities and London hosting it again is to save money building new facilities.

England is small enough to have event's held all over and in fact couldn't Manchester and Birmingham be used to house the athletes,by then (hopefully) Hs2 would be completed and the Olympic village can then be used for proper affordable housing in deprived areas of both cities and are still only (if the Hs2 is running) only 45 mins for The Capital .

But I'm sure all the moaning mini's and NIMBYs will be wingeing soon enough."

Birmingham will have decent venues as well thanks to the commonwealth games starting next week.

I'm dying my hair to match my uniform today

couple, us we him her.

What sports represented at the Olympics are not real sports "

I know right.

I'm guessing that the poster has an opinion that anything that's not football isn't a real sport!

People really don't get the whole idea of the Olympic games,it's not just about popular sports it's designed to be inclusive to get every sport a chance .

I love the obscure sports and loved the popular ones.

Just because people in this country don't like it,it doesn't mean it's not popular somewhere.

Another point on accommodation.

If it's timed right there's enough universities in and around the capital that have rooms sitting empty from June to September in there thousands.

Southampton has something like 6000 rooms and it's only an hour from London village.

What sports represented at the Olympics are not real sports "

to be fair as much as i like it shooting

couple, us we him her.

"I think we should host it again but I don't think it would be in London. Manchester or Birmingham could definitely hold the Olympics. Whilst London 2012 did cause some animosity and lots of people and businesses were relocated against there will on the whole it did great things for East London.

Birmingham will have decent venues as well thanks to the commonwealth games starting next week.

I'm dying my hair to match my uniform today "

Exactly and why not make it the GB Olympiad and spread the events and facilities around the country.

Using London as the selling point to the Olympic committee,but utilising all the fantastic cities and facilities nationwide.

couple, us we him her.

What sports represented at the Olympics are not real sports to be fair as much as i like it shooting "

But shooting is extremely popular and important in some countries and taken very seriously.

Tin town

... here are our 10 favourite facts to get you started:

*All athletes competed naked

Wrestlers and pankration (a sort of mixed martial art which combined boxing and wrestling) competitors fought covered in oil

*Corporal punishment awaited those guilty of a false start on the track

*There were only two rules in the pankration – no biting and no gouging

Boxers were urged to avoid attacking the on-display male genitals

*There were no points, no time limits and no weight classifications in the boxing

*Athletes in the combat sports had to indicate their surrender by raising their index fingers – at times they died before they could do this

*Boxers who could not be separated could opt for klimax, a system whereby one fighter was granted a free hit and then vice-versa – a toss of a coin decided who went first

*oh and the games lasted 5 days

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

For the Olympics the minimum requirement for an Olympic stadium is 80,000…. And a swimming pool with a 15000 capacity, and 3-4 indoor arenas, plus a rowing arena, a hockey arena,

The commonwealth games have done legacy bits for Manchester and Glasgow, and they will for Birmingham… but the Olympics is different levels

By *htcMan  over a year ago

MK

No. London is a crime ridden place. It should be not be hosted in London. Every news site in the world reports how much crime happens in London, stabbings and theft via moped, with all the other crime.

If it does come to the UK host it somewhere else, not London, Birmingham or Manchester.

evesham

"No. London is a crime ridden place. It should be not be hosted in London. Every news site in the world reports how much crime happens in London, stabbings and theft via moped, with all the other crime.

If it does come to the UK host it somewhere else, not London, Birmingham or Manchester."

Because no crimes happen in those places

"No. London is a crime ridden place. It should be not be hosted in London. Every news site in the world reports how much crime happens in London, stabbings and theft via moped, with all the other crime.

If it does come to the UK host it somewhere else, not London, Birmingham or Manchester."

I'm pretty sure london's crime levels don't constitute a global new story

Out of interest how many new venues are there, the redevelopment of Alexander Stadium was long overdue, I know they decided to host the track cycling in London rather than build a new velodrome, have they built a new pool? (Not a pop at Birmingham or the games I know there are solid reasons for that)

But I'm sure all the moaning mini's and NIMBYs will be wingeing soon enough."

Well actually we live in the area where the Olympic Games were held and the vast majority of the facilities are no longer in use or would need major renovations. The Olympic village was not used for proper affordable housing that is the problem.

I'm dying my hair to match my uniform today

Exactly and why not make it the GB Olympiad and spread the events and facilities around the country.

Using London as the selling point to the Olympic committee,but utilising all the fantastic cities and facilities nationwide."

Because it doesn't work like that a city hosts the games not a country.

I know right.

I'm guessing that the poster has an opinion that anything that's not football isn't a real sport!

People really don't get the whole idea of the Olympic games,it's not just about popular sports it's designed to be inclusive to get every sport a chance .

Just because people in this country don't like it,it doesn't mean it's not popular somewhere.

If it's timed right there's enough universities in and around the capital that have rooms sitting empty from June to September in there thousands.

Southampton has something like 6000 rooms and it's only an hour from London village."

Southampton is a lot more than an hour from East London.

There's bevan outcry from competitors if they had that sort of travelling time!

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I want to know how we measure the intelligence of lard.....

Fascinating.

Tin town

Well actually we live in the area where the Olympic Games were held and the vast majority of the facilities are no longer in use or would need major renovations. The Olympic village was not used for proper affordable housing that is the problem. "

Still at least they kept the legacy commitments they made for the Olympic stadium to be used for athletics and didn't hand it over to a football team or anything.

I know right.

Southampton has something like 6000 rooms and it's only an hour from London village.

Southampton is a lot more than an hour from East London.

There's bevan outcry from competitors if they had that sort of travelling time!"

With traffic driving you are looking at over 2 hours to drive from Southampton to London. Or an hour and 23 minutes of the train.

The suits, the politicians and assorted other wankers desperately need another opportunity to

line their pockets.

Let’s get behind it for them.

Well actually we live in the area where the Olympic Games were held and the vast majority of the facilities are no longer in use or would need major renovations. The Olympic village was not used for proper affordable housing that is the problem.

Still at least they kept the legacy commitments they made for the Olympic stadium to be used for athletics and didn't hand it over to a football team or anything. "

It's still used for international athletics meets but given how few of those there are is it supposed to sit empty 362 days of the year? That's why Olympic stadiums are derelict in so many other countries

One of the London running promotors regularly hosts events within the village and there's an annual half marathon on the site too.

The legacy was not supposed to focus on purely elite events.

Tin town

Still at least they kept the legacy commitments they made for the Olympic stadium to be used for athletics and didn't hand it over to a football team or anything.

It's still used for international athletics meets but given how few of those there are is it supposed to sit empty 362 days of the year? That's why Olympic stadiums are derelict in so many other countries

One of the London running promotors regularly hosts events within the village and there's an annual half marathon on the site too.

The legacy was not supposed to focus on purely elite events."

Well no but what's not supposed to happen is that the bid time lie through their teeth about legacy... Look at all the other purpose built Olympic stadia.. Athens, Sydney, la etc...just be honest...

We want the tax payer to fund the new build of a stadium that we have absolutely zero idea of what we are going to do with after it's been used for 18 days....

The legacy was not supposed to focus on purely elite events.

Well no but what's not supposed to happen is that the bid time lie through their teeth about legacy... Look at all the other purpose built Olympic stadia.. Athens, Sydney, la etc...just be honest...

We want the tax payer to fund the new build of a stadium that we have absolutely zero idea of what we are going to do with after it's been used for 18 days...."

What part of the sporting legacy did they lie about?

The housing situation is a disgrace buy the sporting legacy is in my opinion something to be proud of. Many of the facilities are used for amateur racing and trainingbon a daily basis

By *iberius61Man  over a year ago

Pontefract

"By 2036 central London will be 20 feet under sea level

That's the swimming pool sorted "

Well the open water swim anyway

» Add a new message to this topic