FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Do you ever wish you had the power

Do you ever wish you had the power

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *phrodite OP   Woman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

to "unsee" things you have seen? I am talking for example, but not exclusively, the sad story about the man who cut his wife's throat, or even some pictures or posts on fabs.

How do you manage to erase the image, seen or imagined from you memory?

Genuine question.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yes I do

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan  over a year ago

Aylesbury

You dont, they are with you for life now.

"Yes I do "

Me, too. Perhaps I shouldn't try so hard ... they say if you are trying to forget something it sticks to your mind like glue, don't they?

"You dont, they are with you for life now. "

I would love to find a way, not just for myself. When my kids were young, I used give them calming images to think about like summer meadows etc but you cannot do that for yourself, really?

I very deliberately don't read some news stories as I'd never be able to forget the details.

Very much so. Although words are what I respond to, it's the images which remain in my head. For weeks, months, even years. I have to force myself to detour and distract.

"I very deliberately don't read some news stories as I'd never be able to forget the details. "

I have done this (for example, I deliberately did not read or watch everything around 9/11 and more recently about Ukraine but sometimes it is there and you just can't escape?

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

I know a guy that stress tests air planes for their air worthiness. I wish I didn't know that as his education is beyond numb. If you believe anything you read online, that might worry you.

"Very much so. Although words are what I respond to, it's the images which remain in my head. For weeks, months, even years. I have to force myself to detour and distract. "
How do you manage to achieve that?

Yes.18 Years ago i saw a thing online that was pure evil, animal cruelty being filmed and it has stayed with me

"You dont, they are with you for life now.

I would love to find a way, not just for myself. When my kids were young, I used give them calming images to think about like summer meadows etc but you cannot do that for yourself, really?"

I often do a guided tour in my head of a favourite place. It forces my brain to focus on the detail.

By *ack688Man  over a year ago

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

Kinda like Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! You would certainly need it to be coupled with the information to know to not go and look a pretty whatever it was again

By *avexxMan  over a year ago

cheshire

not easy try to think of things that have made you happy,, and of course made you laugh,, positive x

"I know a guy that stress tests air planes for their air worthiness. I wish I didn't know that as his education is beyond numb. If you believe anything you read online, that might worry you."
Imagination running riot, eh?

"Yes.18 Years ago i saw a thing online that was pure evil, animal cruelty being filmed and it has stayed with me"
That is so sad. {sad}

I would love to find a way, not just for myself. When my kids were young, I used give them calming images to think about like summer meadows etc but you cannot do that for yourself, really?

I often do a guided tour in my head of a favourite place. It forces my brain to focus on the detail. "

That is helpful actually.

"Kinda like Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! You would certainly need it to be coupled with the information to know to not go and look a pretty whatever it was again"
I sometimes struggle to make that jump from leaving the horrible image behind and focus on a beautiful image instead.

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

"I know a guy that stress tests air planes for their air worthiness. I wish I didn't know that as his education is beyond numb. If you believe anything you read online, that might worry you.Imagination running riot, eh?"

I didn't add I found that out over 20 years ago - like others have said above, it's stayed. I've no idea what he's doing now

"not easy try to think of things that have made you happy,, and of course made you laugh,, positive x"
Laughter being the best medicine for so many things.. it's just getting to that point really, isn't it?

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan  over a year ago

Aylesbury

"I very deliberately don't read some news stories as I'd never be able to forget the details.

I have done this (for example, I deliberately did not read or watch everything around 9/11 and more recently about Ukraine but sometimes it is there and you just can't escape?"

I saw some pretty messed up stuff as a teenager, they never really left me

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

I've definitely seen stuff I could happily have lived my whole life without seeing but beyond wishing I hadn't had to see it for the sake of those involved I'm actually proud of the fact that by seeing it and doing the stuff I did I helped make things better than they were.

It gets easier the ones that stick in my mind the most are the oldest.

Mr

I often do a guided tour in my head of a favourite place. It forces my brain to focus on the detail. That is helpful actually."

It does work. I have a couple I use. One is the town I grew up in - all the town centre streets. I have panic attacks so I guess I am used to having to force myself to switch my brain over to another channel. If that makes sense.

"I very deliberately don't read some news stories as I'd never be able to forget the details.

I have done this (for example, I deliberately did not read or watch everything around 9/11 and more recently about Ukraine but sometimes it is there and you just can't escape?

I saw some pretty messed up stuff as a teenager, they never really left me"

If I knew how to send a hug on here... I would!

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

"not easy try to think of things that have made you happy,, and of course made you laugh,, positive x Laughter being the best medicine for so many things.. it's just getting to that point really, isn't it?"

Definitely helps. There's a time and place but being able to laugh about something absolutely doesn't mean you don't care about it.

Mr

"I've definitely seen stuff I could happily have lived my whole life without seeing but beyond wishing I hadn't had to see it for the sake of those involved I'm actually proud of the fact that by seeing it and doing the stuff I did I helped make things better than they were.

It gets easier the ones that stick in my mind the most are the oldest.

Mr"

That is encouraging in the sense that you built a resilience based on a negative event.

I have done this (for example, I deliberately did not read or watch everything around 9/11 and more recently about Ukraine but sometimes it is there and you just can't escape?"

It can be difficult to escape it sometimes.

The tip of focussing on a new image sounds worth a try.

"not easy try to think of things that have made you happy,, and of course made you laugh,, positive x Laughter being the best medicine for so many things.. it's just getting to that point really, isn't it?

Definitely helps. There's a time and place but being able to laugh about something absolutely doesn't mean you don't care about it.

Mr"

Oh, I get that - otherwise we would never laugh having attended a funeral, would we? And sometimes the wakes actually bring out the lighter side of life in people. Almost like the sad side is saturated, therefore, we go to the light-hearted one.

I saw some pretty messed up stuff as a teenager, they never really left me If I knew how to send a hug on here... I would! "

It can be difficult to escape it sometimes.

The tip of focussing on a new image sounds worth a try. "

No.

There are many things I wish I hadn't seen or heard but an ability to wipe memories could be awful.

I saw some pretty messed up stuff as a teenager, they never really left me If I knew how to send a hug on here... I would!

"

Ah, thank you. back - fingers crossed that worked

By *eadinthecloudsMan  over a year ago

Manchester

I wish I could unlearn the real meaning behind the lyrics to Mr brightside. It's ruined that song forever for me

"No.

There are many things I wish I hadn't seen or heard but an ability to wipe memories could be awful.

"

What makes you say that, I wonder?

"I wish I could unlearn the real meaning behind the lyrics to Mr brightside. It's ruined that song forever for me "
I can understand that. Sometimes it is better to not know or see or hear....

Ha ha yes sometimes the eye bleach is need

Manchester

"I wish I could unlearn the real meaning behind the lyrics to Mr brightside. It's ruined that song forever for me I can understand that. Sometimes it is better to not know or see or hear...."

The song genuinely makes me sad now. PSA for all that don't know yet. Don't Google it.

"Ha ha yes sometimes the eye bleach is need "

"I wish I could unlearn the real meaning behind the lyrics to Mr brightside. It's ruined that song forever for me I can understand that. Sometimes it is better to not know or see or hear....

The song genuinely makes me sad now. PSA for all that don't know yet. Don't Google it."

I just did.

Manchester

"I wish I could unlearn the real meaning behind the lyrics to Mr brightside. It's ruined that song forever for me I can understand that. Sometimes it is better to not know or see or hear....

The song genuinely makes me sad now. PSA for all that don't know yet. Don't Google it.

I just did. "

Noooooo! I warned you!

I just did. "

I did as well...

"No.

What makes you say that, I wonder? "

I think I'd regret my use of it. And how would I know what to avoid if I couldn't remember the hurt certain things cause?

"Ha ha yes sometimes the eye bleach is need "

Ha ha hope all is well with you x

I just did.

Noooooo! I warned you! "

Actually that made me chuckle... despite everything I said before, and others have said... I could not stop myself

I dont watch the news as it bums me out but the dark things iv seen and the things iv had to live thru to protect my kids i hope i never forget its made me cautious and a better protector i know what people are capable of and im ready for it all

Manchester

I just did.

I did as well... "

Nooooooo. Damn human curiosity!

"Ha ha yes sometimes the eye bleach is need

Ha ha hope all is well with you x"

Indeed, same with you, I hope x

"Yes I do

Me, too. Perhaps I shouldn't try so hard ... they say if you are trying to forget something it sticks to your mind like glue, don't they?"

Yeah sometimes it’s best not to and you don’t think/remember the image…

"I dont watch the news as it bums me out but the dark things iv seen and the things iv had to live thru to protect my kids i hope i never forget its made me cautious and a better protector i know what people are capable of and im ready for it all"
Understandable

'I've seen things you people wouldn't believe..', credits to Roy Batty..

In over 30 years of military and police service, yes I have visual memories I wish I could erase..

I'm not sure how I do it but I disassociate from it.

I think it stems from a personal mental health breakthrough where I can now talk about my experiences, subjectively, without taking myself back to that place.

So for your scenario, I would view something by kind of taking emotion away beforehand and afterwards depositing it in a mental recycle bin (I picture an actual recycle bin and chuck it in).

Then I make sure I have a happy thing to see/think of afterwards and I talk through that so it becomes a stronger memory than whatever came before.

Tends to do the trick for me but I am also really good at forgetting things (good and bad) but that is a blessing and a curse

[Removed by poster at 22/07/22 19:58:30]

"Ha ha yes sometimes the eye bleach is need

Ha ha hope all is well with you x

Indeed, same with you, I hope x"

I am good thank you good to see your good been a little while from a seen you post

X

or awful people you have met or bad memories

goes to google meaning behind mr brightside xx

Manchester

"goes to google meaning behind mr brightside xx"

Not another one!

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

I avoid it whenever i can, but if I mistakenly see it, I have to over expose myself to it, in order to desensitise myself from it

ive got adhd it would have done my head in

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Can't not remember some sights etc that were part of the line of work, and whilst a couple of them do bring back uncomfortableness a bit of time in nature acts as a great reset..

"I avoid it whenever i can, but if I mistakenly see it, I have to over expose myself to it, in order to desensitise myself from it"
Interesting, I can see that work for some.

"I'm not sure how I do it but I disassociate from it.

I think it stems from a personal mental health breakthrough where I can now talk about my experiences, subjectively, without taking myself back to that place.

So for your scenario, I would view something by kind of taking emotion away beforehand and afterwards depositing it in a mental recycle bin (I picture an actual recycle bin and chuck it in).

Then I make sure I have a happy thing to see/think of afterwards and I talk through that so it becomes a stronger memory than whatever came before.

Tends to do the trick for me but I am also really good at forgetting things (good and bad) but that is a blessing and a curse "

I can also see that this....

"subjectively, without taking myself back to that place"

sounds like it might work for some.

"Can't not remember some sights etc that were part of the line of work, and whilst a couple of them do bring back uncomfortableness a bit of time in nature acts as a great reset..

"

Nature and time.... absolutely agree that should be part of it.

By *essiCouple  over a year ago

suffolk

"I avoid it whenever i can, but if I mistakenly see it, I have to over expose myself to it, in order to desensitise myself from it"

Something like this,like a moth to the flame in some respects..in order to try and learn from it over time

By * la carteCouple  over a year ago

Dublin

Oddly enough, whereas there are lots of sad and ugly things I have seen/heard/read/experienced or just know, I actually don't want to un-know them. They are all a part of what makes me who I am and how I think, feel and behave - hopefully for the better...not knowing bad, evil, sad etc means I may very well have had less inclination to see the positive, happy and inspirational things but most of all - to appreciate every healthy and happy moment life has given me and my loved ones - to be grateful and mindful...and to pass it forward and wish it on others . Mrs

» Add a new message to this topic