FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Snake bites on the rise

Snake bites on the rise

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ssex_tom OP   Man  over a year ago

Chelmsford

News that over 300 people have been bitten and needed medical assistance in the UK in the last decade which is close on 30 a month. This is due to the increase in people keeping snakes as so called pets. Just one man died and one had a finger amputated but many went into intensive care and 13 who were bitten were under the age of 5.

Do we need to stop this so called pet ownership or will it just drive it underground. Snakes are not loving animals like dogs. They are cold blooded buggers who can only think of their next meal. What's going on here guys?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

300 in 10 years is 30 per year?

By *heonixrising500Man  over a year ago

Barnsley

My trouser snake only spits lol

"News that over 300 people have been bitten and needed medical assistance in the UK in the last decade which is close on 30 a month. This is due to the increase in people keeping snakes as so called pets. Just one man died and one had a finger amputated but many went into intensive care and 13 who were bitten were under the age of 5.

Do we need to stop this so called pet ownership or will it just drive it underground. Snakes are not loving animals like dogs. They are cold blooded buggers who can only think of their next meal. What's going on here guys?"

If we kill all cold blooded animals that only think about their next pair of shoes, do we need to cull our wives?

By *tarburst babydollMan  over a year ago

Dingwall

The hubby had to get medical attention for a snake bite a couple of years ago. But this was not a pet he got bitten by an adder at work

By *ickshawedCouple  over a year ago

Wolverhampton

"News that over 300 people have been bitten and needed medical assistance in the UK in the last decade which is close on 30 a month. This is due to the increase in people keeping snakes as so called pets. Just one man died and one had a finger amputated but many went into intensive care and 13 who were bitten were under the age of 5.

Do we need to stop this so called pet ownership or will it just drive it underground. Snakes are not loving animals like dogs. They are cold blooded buggers who can only think of their next meal. What's going on here guys?

If we kill all cold blooded animals that only think about their next pair of shoes, do we need to cull our wives?"

A very interesting philosophical point

Do we need to stop this so called pet ownership or will it just drive it underground. Snakes are not loving animals like dogs. They are cold blooded buggers who can only think of their next meal. What's going on here guys?"

One death. How many people have been killed by dogs in the last ten years?

Snakes are not a problem in this country!

St Patrick strikes again lol

By *eyond PurityCouple  over a year ago

Lincolnshire

I haven’t seen them in pubs for years…was refreshing though

K

By *os19Man  over a year ago

Edmonton

Sorry at first I thought this was a thread about the drink snakebite which some pubs do not serve for various reasons.

"I haven’t seen them in pubs for years…was refreshing though

K"

I thought this.

By *immyinreadingMan  over a year ago

henley on thames

Good maths there! I make it 2.5 per month rather than 30. Across a population of 70 million … that’s a pretty low risk

By *eyond PurityCouple  over a year ago

Lincolnshire

Tom - I've just been reading about the rise of megasharks, and here you are, worried about a few snakes

C

Definitely got the wrong end of the stick....

Snake bites you are talking about are not what I'm thinking and mega shark... just read mega pint.

By *immyinreadingMan  over a year ago

henley on thames

"Tom - I've just been reading about the rise of megasharks, and here you are, worried about a few snakes

C"

Most people are more at risk from a mega shart than a mega shark

By *odgerMooreMan  over a year ago

Carlisle

I’ve watched several documentaries on Netflix about a combination of an extreme weather event combined with dangerous animals if you search for the Sharknado series of documentaries its really scary what could happen here in a few years…. With Globular warming and the rise of the seas… between that and Lorraine Kelly in the morning …..

By *rincess peachWoman  over a year ago

shits creek

Sounds more to me like mistakes made as a snake owner than anything.

I wonder how many of the bite "victims" blame the snake or know they made a booboo and take responsibility themselves.

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Tom - I've just been reading about the rise of megasharks, and here you are, worried about a few snakes

C"

Do they have laser beams?

Tom - apart from the fundamental lack of accurate maths you do realise that significantly more people are injured and killed by dogs and other animals than snakes?

Even cows are estimated to cause 3 deaths, 40 serious injuries and around the same number of lesser injuries each year.

And that doesn't include choking on steak or drowning in milk.

A

Chelmsford

And how many wild snakes kill dogs ..

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

I've been reading the report on which this news item was based, and it was quite interesting to while away some of my non-forum time...

Firstly, the 300 people were over an eleven year period, so it's even less frequent than stated.

Of the 300, some were zoo keepers, and other professionals, so not relevant to "are more people keeping pets", and a couple had been bitten abroad and were just treated here.

That left 260 pet owners getting bitten by venomous snakes. And I wondered how many owners of venomous snakes there were, as it seemed statistically relevant.

The Born Free charity asked every council for their numbers of Dangerous Wild Animal licences, and there were about 500 snakes in that analysis as at 2020.

So in theory, if you have a snake for 10 years, you're 50/50 to get bitten by it. However - not all the snakes identified in the 260 pet owners NEED to be licenced. it appears that there are some (a fair few, actually) venomous snakes that are not covered by the Dangerous Wild Animals Act.

Neither, it turns out, are many other animals. For example - the Komodo Dragon. You can have one of those trotting around the garden if you want, and you don't have to tell anyone

Why isn't THAT a news story (the snakes, not the theoretical dragon)???

Anyway, back to the 260 bitten pet owners. About 40 of them appear to have been bitten by something that should be licenced, out of 500 that had licences (assuming everybody bitten had a licence).

Which means your odds of being bitten by your own venomous snake are around 7% per decade of ownership. The odds of dying of a snake bite are about 100 times lower (there were 2, I think).

Chelmsford

"I've been reading the report on which this news item was based, and it was quite interesting to while away some of my non-forum time...

Firstly, the 300 people were over an eleven year period, so it's even less frequent than stated.

Of the 300, some were zoo keepers, and other professionals, so not relevant to "are more people keeping pets", and a couple had been bitten abroad and were just treated here.

That left 260 pet owners getting bitten by venomous snakes. And I wondered how many owners of venomous snakes there were, as it seemed statistically relevant.

The Born Free charity asked every council for their numbers of Dangerous Wild Animal licences, and there were about 500 snakes in that analysis as at 2020.

So in theory, if you have a snake for 10 years, you're 50/50 to get bitten by it. However - not all the snakes identified in the 260 pet owners NEED to be licenced. it appears that there are some (a fair few, actually) venomous snakes that are not covered by the Dangerous Wild Animals Act.

Neither, it turns out, are many other animals. For example - the Komodo Dragon. You can have one of those trotting around the garden if you want, and you don't have to tell anyone

Why isn't THAT a news story (the snakes, not the theoretical dragon)???

Anyway, back to the 260 bitten pet owners. About 40 of them appear to have been bitten by something that should be licenced, out of 500 that had licences (assuming everybody bitten had a licence).

Which means your odds of being bitten by your own venomous snake are around 7% per decade of ownership. The odds of dying of a snake bite are about 100 times lower (there were 2, I think).

"

So what do we do to eliminate the risk?

Get rid of these buggers ?

By *ooBulMan  over a year ago

Missin’ Yo’ Kissin’

Oh, I thought it was about a drink they banned yonks ago.....

I wouldn't mind one now!!!

"Oh, I thought it was about a drink they banned yonks ago.....

I wouldn't mind one now!!! "

You can still get a pint of snakebite in Newcastle.

By *escourtesMan  over a year ago

hereford

Hissing Sid? call captain Beaky and Batty Bat to sort Im out

By *areToShareCouple  over a year ago

Bingham

Your mathematical abilities are shocking!

300 people in the last decade.

12 months in a year. 12 x 10 (decade is 10 years) = 120

300 ÷ 120 = 2.5

So, 2.5 a month, not 30!

Not quite such a dramatic scenario now is it?

By *izandpaulCouple  over a year ago

merseyside

"And how many wild snakes kill dogs ..

"

Or pet snakes kill wild dogs

Or

Pet dogs kill wild snakes

Or

Pet snake owner called Eric kills wild dog lover called Maureen.

Tom, you make the virus forum far more relevant than just plain old disease.

I have this vision of a single man, trawling the Internet, dark shadows under his eyes, empty pot noodles littering the floor, muttering away looking for other interesting facts, telling the man in the local shop you are conducting world beating research.

Love it, keep up the good work.

"

So what do we do to eliminate the risk?

Get rid of these buggers ?"

What risk? It's a self-sorting problem. If people choose to own a venomous snake, they might get killed by it.

The risk of a non-snake owner getting bitten by a venomous snake is so small that it rounds to zero anyway (it's about 40 divided by the entire zoo visitors around the country every year for 11 years)

By *ovespudsMan  over a year ago

Swindon

"

REALLY

So, just because a few idiots or unfortunates got bitten by a pet or wild snake, you want to stop people from enjoying their love of pet ownership.

And exactly what animal doesn't think of where its next meal is coming from, I'm already looking forward to my dinner and that's nine hours away.

Get a life !

Ps NO, I don't have a pet snake or any other pets. But I do have a respect for other people's interests and beliefs,

except when they're buffoons.

Aaaah good eating

"My trouser snake only spits lol"

Cock cobra

"My trouser snake only spits lol

Cock cobra"

hooded or not hooded

What a crock of shit OP.

You've obviously never kept snakes.

I've kept 2 and still have my corn snake. She'll quite happily curl up under my jumper or MrsC cardigan and go to sleep where it's nice and snuggly warm.

Snakes are only aggressive when confronted or threatened. They are naturally agoraphobic and will hide away or a do a runner when approached. If handled regularly they soon become accustomed it.

I wouldn't give my little girl up for anything.

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

I'm more concerned about spiders in my bathroom, Tom.

Tastes like chicken..

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan  over a year ago

Aylesbury

"And how many wild snakes kill dogs ..

"

Nature red in tooth and claw Tom

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"So what do we do to eliminate the risk?

Get rid of these buggers ?"

We eliminate risk by never going anywhere, never doing anything. Don't live in a house it might collapse. Don't eat food it might hurt you. Water can be fatal at a high dose.

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

Life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"News that over 300 people have been bitten and needed medical assistance in the UK in the last decade which is close on 30 a month."

That’s proof you don't require a maths GCSE grade C or above to work for the daily mail statistics department.

Plenty adders around Pitlochry area of Perthshire

They coil up and bask in the sun to take in the heat of the sun.

Very easy to step on one in long grass

Why is your instant thought to be a ban?

Also any animal if hungry enough turns into a cold blooded bugger. Just look at flight 571 that crashed into the andes mountain and what they did when hungry

"I'm more concerned about spiders in my bathroom, Tom."

Get a snake, keep then well under control for you.

Also, no guest will ever take too long in there...

I got bitten by an adder at Bradgate Park when I was a kid.

"I got bitten by an adder at Bradgate Park when I was a kid."

So it appears that snake bites are decreasing, based on these freshly released statistics

By *lassychassisCouple  over a year ago

Wolverhampton

As someone who has kept snakes, and other reptiles now for roughly 26yrs, i feel your worries are completely over exaggerated. As stated there are many other animals with higher fatality rates in the uk.

I keep large pythons and can assure you my cousins horses are capable of much more damage than my animals can cause.

While your giving these stats out tho, what species were people being bitten by? If they were venomous the hosp would need to know this as not all anti venoms work for all species, you need the right one. How many of the hosp trips were nothing more than a precautionary tetanus etc?

Apologies but it really seems that nothing is known by the OP regarding snakes and this is just an example of a little bit of knowledge becoming dangerous.

» Add a new message to this topic