FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > England football top scorer

England football top scorer

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I heard something on the radio the other day saying ellen white is about to pass wayne rooney for englands all time top scorer what a load of rubbish

Which side do you fall on?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

If she scores more England international goals than Rooney, she's the top scorer. It's a numbers thing. The bigger the number, the higher the goal scoring record. Simple really.

She's got 52 so far, Rooney 53. She will almost certainly supercede Rooney during this Euros tournament.

My issue is 2 things 1st the competition level

And also nobody compares sarina williams vs the mens champions nadal and such or the cricket teams achievements or any other sport hell most of yhe time we get told its not a fair comp looking at the levels which i agree with as its not as in crowd numbers quality backing and such things yet when it suits the promotion you can compare i dunno it put a bee in my bonnet

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Someone looks like they might score more goals than someone else, is that the gist of it?

I agree it needs to be under similar conditions to compare. How do the conditions differ?

North West

"My issue is 2 things 1st the competition level

And also nobody compares sarina williams vs the mens champions nadal and such or the cricket teams achievements or any other sport hell most of yhe time we get told its not a fair comp looking at the levels which i agree with as its not as in crowd numbers quality backing and such things yet when it suits the promotion you can compare i dunno it put a bee in my bonnet"

People DO compare Serena Williams and the Nadals/Federers of this world.

It's not Ellen White's fault that deep seated misogyny and prejudice prevented her section of the football world from having a proper professional set up until 2018. She just pulled on the white jersey with Three Lions on it, on a wet Wednesday in Walsall and scored. And scored and scored.

She's worked fucking hard for what she's achieved.

"Someone looks like they might score more goals than someone else, is that the gist of it?

I agree it needs to be under similar conditions to compare. How do the conditions differ?"

standard of opponent experience level dont get me wrong im no expert on football or the womens game iv seen 5 games in my life in 2012 and the norway game and the leap in quality speed and ability looks huge amazing jump but i dont see it as right to compare the two when england women are beating all amateur teams barring about 10 of them

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Women playing against women means a fair comparison of men playing against men. England men play against easier teams that enter competitions in exactly the same way that the women do. England women won't be able to score as they have been when they play against higher rated teams. The women are currently 8th in the world of women's football.

Regardless of being male or female they are representing their country in competitive sport. We should be proud of their achievement. In an England strip Ellen has done amazing and should be credited for that

And also nobody compares sarina williams vs the mens champions nadal and such or the cricket teams achievements or any other sport hell most of yhe time we get told its not a fair comp looking at the levels which i agree with as its not as in crowd numbers quality backing and such things yet when it suits the promotion you can compare i dunno it put a bee in my bonnet

It's not Ellen White's fault that deep seated misogyny and prejudice prevented her section of the football world from having a proper professional set up until 2018. She just pulled on the white jersey with Three Lions on it, on a wet Wednesday in Walsall and scored. And scored and scored.

She's worked fucking hard for what she's achieved. "

i agree its not her fault just think some of the talk a bit ott

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Same sized, goal, ball, pitch and number of opposition players regardless of men's or women's team's..

Fair play to her if she achieved it..

In time other nations women's team's will progress so the margins between will lessen..

North West

She's worked fucking hard for what she's achieved. i agree its not her fault just think some of the talk a bit ott"

Most women playing at international level at the moment will have started out having to work as well as play. Hardly any male players within the Football League set up will have had to do that. Can we not just give Ellen and the rest of the women some fucking kudos?! They've worked AGAINST the established system to get women's football into the mainstream. They need to have exposure, publicity etc to grow the game.

As an 11yo, I was asked to leave the mixed gender team I played for (FA rules) and because there were no girls teams in my area, that was the end of me playing football. No girl has to make that decision nowadays and it's the likes of Ellen White who will inspire more girls to continue to play.

This reminds of the battle of the sexes in tennis when Bobby Riggs claimed no woman could beat him until Billie Jean King did.

By *ex HolesMan  over a year ago

Up North

I bet they were all shit Sunday league goals as well

By *inCity BluesMan  over a year ago

London

"

Competition level? You must be joking. The majority of Wayne Rooney's England goals came in qualifiers playing against the international equivalent of League Two teams.

Look at his scoring record: Belarus, Lichtenstein, Andorra, Kazakhstan, San Marino - how many would Bobby Charlton or Jimmy Greaves have scored if they'd played that lot every couple of years?

Rooney scored 53 goals for England:

16 in World Cup qualifiers against way inferior opposition

14 In Euro qualifiers against way inferior opposition

16 in friendlies where nobody gives a shit.

That leaves seven goals. Just SEVEN goals in major tournaments. Four of those in just two games in Euro 2004 against Switzerland and Croatia.

Just ONE goal in a World Cup finals tournament, in 2014 2-1 defeat to Uruguay.

He may be England men's top scorer, but that doesn't really mean a lot these days, does it?

"This reminds of the battle of the sexes in tennis when Bobby Riggs claimed no woman could beat him until Billie Jean King did. "

Bobby Riggs was 55 when BJK beat him , she was 29. He was a victim of his own bravado.

In saying that it would be nigh on impossible for Ellen White to score against a mens premier league team although possibly she might against a team of 55 years olds.

North West

[Removed by poster at 16/07/22 13:18:37]

North West

Competition level? You must be joking. The majority of Wayne Rooney's England goals came in qualifiers playing against the international equivalent of League Two teams.

Look at his scoring record: Belarus, Lichtenstein, Andorra, Kazakhstan, San Marino - how many would Bobby Charlton or Jimmy Greaves have scored if they'd played that lot every couple of years?

That leaves seven goals. Just SEVEN goals in major tournaments. Four of those in just two games in Euro 2004 against Switzerland and Croatia.

He may be England men's top scorer, but that doesn't really mean a lot these days, does it? "

Yeah, no-one complains when England Men annihilate San Marino's butchers, bakers and candle stick makers in qualifiers, but when Ellen White scores in an 8-0 game against Norway (ranked 8th in the world), well.......

By *dam_TinaCouple  over a year ago

Hampshire

Competition level? You must be joking. The majority of Wayne Rooney's England

He may be England men's top scorer, but that doesn't really mean a lot these days, does it? "

So Rooney only got 7 goals in major tournaments? Slightly better than Booby Charlton (5) and Jimmy Greaves (2).

He may be England men's top scorer, but that doesn't really mean a lot these days, does it?

Yeah, no-one complains when England Men annihilate San Marino's butchers, bakers and candle stick makers in qualifiers, but when Ellen White scores in an 8-0 game against Norway (ranked 8th in the world), well....... "

its the amount of amateur players vs profesional thats the issue when it comes to those figures thats part of the point its an impossible comparison ellen white is a great goal scorer for england women rooney was great for england men nobody compares usain bolt against the fastest women ever they have there own individual records

By *iscean_dreamMan  over a year ago

Port talbot

I don't think they should fall into the same table, completely different level of football

In my opinion… and opinions are like arse holes, everyone’s got one… she may score more goals than him but it won’t be breaking his record and the men’s and women’s games are totally incomparable.

The difference in levels is astronomical and will be for the rest of my life at least.

London

"So Rooney only got 7 goals in major tournaments? Slightly better than Booby Charlton (5) and Jimmy Greaves (2). "

Yeah, and three of Charlton's goals were in just one tournament. Mind you, that was the 1966 World Cup.

Remind me how many trophies Wayne Rooney won with England? OK, that's unfair. Stick to just making tournament semi-finals...

Wayne Rooney's England scoring record is like David Beckham's appearance record: it means nothing. Two good England footballers, certainly, who are absolutely fuck all compared to the legends of the game.

"So Rooney only got 7 goals in major tournaments? Slightly better than Booby Charlton (5) and Jimmy Greaves (2).

Yeah, and three of Charlton's goals were in just one tournament. Mind you, that was the 1966 World Cup.

Remind me how many trophies Wayne Rooney won with England? OK, that's unfair. Stick to just making tournament semi-finals...

Wayne Rooney's England scoring record is like David Beckham's appearance record: it means nothing. Two good England footballers, certainly, who are absolutely fuck all compared to the legends of the game. "

And Gazza and Shearer won nothing and would wipe the floor with all of them.

"So Rooney only got 7 goals in major tournaments? Slightly better than Booby Charlton (5) and Jimmy Greaves (2).

Wayne Rooney's England scoring record is like David Beckham's appearance record: it means nothing. Two good England footballers, certainly, who are absolutely fuck all compared to the legends of the game.

And Gazza and Shearer won nothing and would wipe the floor with all of them."

true story

"In my opinion… and opinions are like arse holes, everyone’s got one… she may score more goals than him but it won’t be breaking his record and the men’s and women’s games are totally incomparable.

The difference in levels is astronomical and will be for the rest of my life at least."

Absolutely this

London

"And Gazza and Shearer won nothing and would wipe the floor with all of them. true story "

Oh what rot. Gazza had enormous potential, agreed, but was too immature and undisciplined to make the most of it. He'll be mostly remembered for the goal against Scotland in 96 Euros and crying in the 1990 semi.

Shearer was like Rooney, another good English footballer, but absolutely nothing compared internationally. (And he's as boring as fuck on MOTD).

Face it - none of us will ever see an England men's team win a World Cup or even a Euro, no matter how much they dive or cry racism when they lose. Still, we can always admire the kneeling and the rainbow laces. Something to be proud of

England women are the best hope for an England football team to win a major tournament.

By *dam_TinaCouple  over a year ago

Hampshire

Wayne Rooney's England scoring record is like David Beckham's appearance record: it means nothing. Two good England footballers, certainly, who are absolutely fuck all compared to the legends of the game. "

I think Jimmy Greaves is the best goalscorer of all time. I was just making the point that you made a big deal of Rooney only scoring 7 tournament goals and compared him unfavourably with Greaves and Charlton who both scored fewer.

North West

Look fellas, if the wankers at the FA back in the 1920s hadn't decreed that women's wombs would fall out if they continued to play football and banned all women's teams from FA stadia, we'd be at a different level. But we're not. We only got a full pro structure in 2018. Yes, 20-fucking-18.

So, we're doing our best boys. Our very best. Sorry it's not good enough for you.

Or are you threatened by the Ellen Whites of this world?! I can't tell.

Just give up comparing and support the Lionesses*, for the fucking love of god

*Or whichever nation you wish to choose.

By *avexxMan  over a year ago

cheshire

jimmy greaves all the way,,, i have enjoyed watching england ladies,, they very very good,

"Look fellas, if the wankers at the FA back in the 1920s hadn't decreed that women's wombs would fall out if they continued to play football and banned all women's teams from FA stadia, we'd be at a different level. But we're not. We only got a full pro structure in 2018. Yes, 20-fucking-18.

So, we're doing our best boys. Our very best. Sorry it's not good enough for you.

*Or whichever nation you wish to choose. "

woah woah woah nobody disagrees they got fucked over by the pull up your braces brigade nobody is saying its a bad thing from what i cam see its just 2 different things is all not 1 dodgy figure to spin the promo

North West

Also, Ellen White, et.al are way better role models for young people than Wayne Rooney. I'd rather my kids (of any gender) looked up to her than him.

"Look fellas, if the wankers at the FA back in the 1920s hadn't decreed that women's wombs would fall out if they continued to play football and banned all women's teams from FA stadia, we'd be at a different level. But we're not. We only got a full pro structure in 2018. Yes, 20-fucking-18.

*Or whichever nation you wish to choose. "

100% agree. The women’s game is relatively new because of this fact. Unfortunately until they can draw the same commercial revenue as the mens game it won’t change.

"My issue is 2 things 1st the competition level "

But she’s playing against women. Who in comparison are at her level…..

so the opposition are trying to stop her scoring just as much as they tried to stop Rooney. No?

So, again, in comparison, she either super good, or the other defenders are super shit. You decide.

North West

*Or whichever nation you wish to choose. woah woah woah nobody disagrees they got fucked over by the pull up your braces brigade nobody is saying its a bad thing from what i cam see its just 2 different things is all not 1 dodgy figure to spin the promo"

My friend, girls like me were BANNED from playing as recently as the mid 1990s because of ridiculous fucking sexism. I was a good football player. The boys at my secondary school wanted me to play in our interform football but I wasn't allowed. Completely prohibited by FA rules (no mixed teams above age 11). Forgive me for the bee in my bonnet but it's a pretty big fucking issue for me. I'm sick of sly digs at the England ladies and ladies football in general.

I've been a massive football nut my whole life yet it's always Mr KC (who hates football) who gets the footy related questions directed to him. Ongoing fucking sexism!

By stating that Ellen White may soon break his record (and I hope she does) is that not just a fact and not necessarily a comparison between the two?

The same way Dame Sarah Storey is

Britain's most decorated Paralymian.

Whether male or female it's one hell of an achievement

By *avexxMan  over a year ago

cheshire

no dig at england ladies from me think they are excellent,, the way they pass the ball movement off the ball its all top class,,

By *heNerdyFembyWoman  over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

How can you claim the Top Scorer for England is anyone else than the Top Scorer for England?

It is in the description, the person who has scored the most goals while representing England.

Now if you want to ask who is the BEST English Striker, that's an entirely different question and allows for comparisons of who they are playing with or against.

"How can you claim the Top Scorer for England is anyone else than the Top Scorer for England?

It is in the description, the person who has scored the most goals while representing England.

Now if you want to ask who is the BEST English Striker, that's an entirely different question and allows for comparisons of who they are playing with or against."

Would you say the same if someone scored that amount of goals for the under 21s?

Excellent point.

Port talbot

*Or whichever nation you wish to choose. woah woah woah nobody disagrees they got fucked over by the pull up your braces brigade nobody is saying its a bad thing from what i cam see its just 2 different things is all not 1 dodgy figure to spin the promo

My friend, girls like me were BANNED from playing as recently as the mid 1990s because of ridiculous fucking sexism. I was a good football player. The boys at my secondary school wanted me to play in our interform football but I wasn't allowed. Completely prohibited by FA rules (no mixed teams above age 11). Forgive me for the bee in my bonnet but it's a pretty big fucking issue for me. I'm sick of sly digs at the England ladies and ladies football in general.

I've been a massive football nut my whole life yet it's always Mr KC (who hates football) who gets the footy related questions directed to him. Ongoing fucking sexism! "

I haven't seen anyone make any digs or say England ladies are crap etc because they aren't but it's weird comparing stats of men and women and having them on the same table as they're playing against different teams and playing for different teams and not together

"How can you claim the Top Scorer for England is anyone else than the Top Scorer for England?

Now if you want to ask who is the BEST English Striker, that's an entirely different question and allows for comparisons of who they are playing with or against."

england once had an all amateur international team top scorer Vivian Woodward scored 44 amateur goals for england and 29 for the full england side so do we add them together or do we include goals with england youth international teams like i say theres too many things to look at

Eastbourne (she/they)

Now if you want to ask who is the BEST English Striker, that's an entirely different question and allows for comparisons of who they are playing with or against.

Would you say the same if someone scored that amount of goals for the under 21s?"

If it were unqualified... yes.

By *UNCHBOXMan  over a year ago

folkestone

And we could compare different eras within the different sexes. For example if Dixie Dean had the opportunity to play as many internationals as players have been able to in the last 50 years he would have without doubt been the leading goalscorer. He scored 18 in 16 games. If he had played in world cups and European championships there is no doubt without injuries he would have been the leading English goalscorer of all time.

North West

*Or whichever nation you wish to choose. woah woah woah nobody disagrees they got fucked over by the pull up your braces brigade nobody is saying its a bad thing from what i cam see its just 2 different things is all not 1 dodgy figure to spin the promo

I've been a massive football nut my whole life yet it's always Mr KC (who hates football) who gets the footy related questions directed to him. Ongoing fucking sexism!

I haven't seen anyone make any digs or say England ladies are crap etc because they aren't but it's weird comparing stats of men and women and having them on the same table as they're playing against different teams and playing for different teams and not together "

I didn't necessarily mean digs on here, but in general (in society). The sexism on Twitter and other forms of social media is sickening and makes me furious.

The facts are:

Ellen White has scored 52 goals for England Ladies

Wayne Rooney scored 53 goals for England Men

These are the facts. Whether someone wants to compare them? I don't really care. Scoring 50+ goals for your country is a pretty decent achievement and should be celebrated. Gender irrelevant.

North West

"And we could compare different eras within the different sexes. For example if Dixie Dean had the opportunity to play as many internationals as players have been able to in the last 50 years he would have without doubt been the leading goalscorer. He scored 18 in 16 games. If he had played in world cups and European championships there is no doubt without injuries he would have been the leading English goalscorer of all time. "

^^^This

Would you say the same if someone scored that amount of goals for the under 21s?

If it were unqualified... yes."

Fair enough.

I don't think it will be too much longer until the women's football is being shown live alongside the men's premier league. The premier league is its own worst enemy now with the amount of money it produces. It's pricing itself too far away from the fans who want to watch. Lots of players think they're bigger than the club who pay them. I'm starting to think I'd rather watch a less technically gifted team which tries harder than a team of multi millionaires who can't be arsed.

Unrelated but it could be a way to close the gaps in commercial revenue.

Why don’t women follow the women’s game in the same way men follow the men’s game?

North West

Maybe read Ellen's own take on it. She couldn't give a shit about comparisons:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jul/13/ellen-white-wayne-rooney-england-record-equal

Eastbourne (she/they)

"And we could compare different eras within the different sexes. For example if Dixie Dean had the opportunity to play as many internationals as players have been able to in the last 50 years he would have without doubt been the leading goalscorer. He scored 18 in 16 games. If he had played in world cups and European championships there is no doubt without injuries he would have been the leading English goalscorer of all time.

^^^This"

If I had played football, been selected for the england team and scored 100 goals, I would be the top scorer...

Port talbot

I haven't seen anyone make any digs or say England ladies are crap etc because they aren't but it's weird comparing stats of men and women and having them on the same table as they're playing against different teams and playing for different teams and not together

I didn't necessarily mean digs on here, but in general (in society). The sexism on Twitter and other forms of social media is sickening and makes me furious.

The facts are:

Ellen White has scored 52 goals for England Ladies

Wayne Rooney scored 53 goals for England Men

These are the facts. Whether someone wants to compare them? I don't really care. Scoring 50+ goals for your country is a pretty decent achievement and should be celebrated. Gender irrelevant. "

Exactly, so to me she's already England ladies top scorer and Rooney will be England mens top scorer until he's past by someone that plays for England mens team

North West

"Unrelated but it could be a way to close the gaps in commercial revenue.

Why don’t women follow the women’s game in the same way men follow the men’s game?"

Society. If girls haven been exposed to the game as kids (because of a lack of opportunity) and attitudes at men's games can be very variable towards women, there's your answer.

We NEED a high profile ladies team to inspire more girls and women to get interested in football.

North West

"And we could compare different eras within the different sexes. For example if Dixie Dean had the opportunity to play as many internationals as players have been able to in the last 50 years he would have without doubt been the leading goalscorer. He scored 18 in 16 games. If he had played in world cups and European championships there is no doubt without injuries he would have been the leading English goalscorer of all time.

^^^This

If I had played football, been selected for the england team and scored 100 goals, I would be the top scorer..."

The point being, when Dixie Dean played football, due to the challenges of international travel, there were very limited opportunities to play for England. The number of games played nowadays each year is way higher, so far more chances to score.

By *W ChapMan  over a year ago

Swindon

[Removed by poster at 16/07/22 14:47:21]

Swindon

Yes she will score more goals than him for her England football team than he did for his. It's a fact.

The problem is where to draw the line for comparisons.

Does Womens Athletics get compared against Mens for records, no and rightly so, womens records are held in the same esteem as mens (imo) but to draw comparisons between them would remove all the womens records for all of our lifetime for sure in the vast majority of events.

Celebrate both on their own merits.

Eastbourne (she/they)

"Yes she will score more goals than him for her England football team than he did for his. It's a fact.

Does Womens Athletics get compared against Mens for records, no and rightly so, womens records are held in the same esteem as mens (imo) but to draw comparisons between them would remove all the womens records for all of our lifetime for sure in the vast majority of events.

Celebrate both on their own merits."

This is comparing "Who is the Best Striker"

not "Who is the top scorer" though.

One factors in all aspects of the player, their performance, their competition and a variety of other factors.

The other is literally down to who put the most balls in nets.

Why don’t women follow the women’s game in the same way men follow the men’s game?

Society. If girls haven been exposed to the game as kids (because of a lack of opportunity) and attitudes at men's games can be very variable towards women, there's your answer.

We NEED a high profile ladies team to inspire more girls and women to get interested in football. "

I’ve just read that only 26% of sports fans identify as female.

It’s getting better but there’s still a long way to go. Women’s boxing and MMA is relatively new but is coming on leaps and bounds but you’re right, we need more high profile stars to be role models to the younger generation.

"Yes she will score more goals than him for her England football team than he did for his. It's a fact.

One factors in all aspects of the player, their performance, their competition and a variety of other factors.

The other is literally down to who put the most balls in nets."

so its Vivian Woodward then

By *asilyled1Man  over a year ago

ogmore valley

Celebrate both on their own merits."

I agree. There is enough to go around to applaud womens and mens sports seperately,unlike the Brit awards.

Womens football has come on so much especially England,and their rugby team is immense. One thing is for sure,male or female,none of this achieved without hard work so good on both of them I say

Swindon

The other is literally down to who put the most balls in nets."

We are talking about who's scored the most between them. You can't say who's the best striker, it's impossible to compare.

North West

We NEED a high profile ladies team to inspire more girls and women to get interested in football.

I’ve just read that only 26% of sports fans identify as female.

It’s getting better but there’s still a long way to go. Women’s boxing and MMA is relatively new but is coming on leaps and bounds but you’re right, we need more high profile stars to be role models to the younger generation."

My Dad took me to football (Tranmere Rovers) every Saturday pretty much, from the age of about 6. We travelled all over the country following TRFC. I was a RARITY as a young female fan. I'll be 37 this year, so if we extrapolate, it's fairly obvious why there are so few female football fans in general.

And female participation in sports more widely - lots of (mainly societal) reasons. Things like having to walk from the changing rooms in your swimsuit, past the boys. Fucking gym skirts with stupid gym knickers and having to take your gym skirt off and do athletics in just gym knickers and a see through white polo shirt. While the boy's cricket/softball outfielders gawped and made stupid comments. The lack of decent sports bras until very recently meaning fully developed teens at school trying to run with their boobs smashing them in the face (while the boys gawp and make comments). Periods. Shit like that. I didn't give two shits back then, hence why I pursued lots of sports up to county level, but a lot of my friends abhorred PE and found any excuse to skip it.

By *UNCHBOXMan  over a year ago

folkestone

^^^This

If I had played football, been selected for the england team and scored 100 goals, I would be the top scorer...

The point being, when Dixie Dean played football, due to the challenges of international travel, there were very limited opportunities to play for England. The number of games played nowadays each year is way higher, so far more chances to score. "

Yes that’s why I see it unfair that a modern player (last 40 years) is put on a high peristal because it’s unfair on players from 50-80 years ago who didn’t have the same opportunity’s. The pitches today are like carpets and the balls are incomparable.

Eastbourne (she/they)

The other is literally down to who put the most balls in nets.

We are talking about who's scored the most between them. You can't say who's the best striker, it's impossible to compare.

"

I agree but that is exactly what is happening in this thread. People are trying to compare.

Personally I think the phrase "Top Scorer" stand on its won, and does nothing to diminish Wayne Rooney'#s accomplishments if Ellen White ends up scoring more than him.

They are/were (depending on perspective) both phenomenal athletes at the very top of their sport.

The comparison isn't really fair, if Rooney had played against teams of the quality of 1980s Andorra, Luxembourg, Faroe Islands etc on a regular basis he probably would have a lot more goals. Harry Kane will surpass his total soon too.

Realistically several England women players are likely to go beyond Rooney's total. Beth Mead has 27 goals in 42 appearances, Alessia Russo 7 in 10. Both have many games ahead of them and all they need is a few more games against the likes of Latvia, North Macedonia, Luxembourg amongst others and they will be chasing Ronaldo's record never mind Rooney.

North West

"The comparison isn't really fair, if Rooney had played against teams of the quality of 1980s Andorra, Luxembourg, Faroe Islands etc on a regular basis he probably would have a lot more goals. Harry Kane will surpass his total soon too.

Realistically several England women players are likely to go beyond Rooney's total. Beth Mead has 27 goals in 42 appearances, Alessia Russo 7 in 10. Both have many games ahead of them and all they need is a few more games against the likes of Latvia, North Macedonia, Luxembourg amongst others and they will be chasing Ronaldo's record never mind Rooney."

But most of Rooney's goals WERE against Andorra, San Marino, Faroe Islands et.al. That's what's amusing about all this

"The comparison isn't really fair, if Rooney had played against teams of the quality of 1980s Andorra, Luxembourg, Faroe Islands etc on a regular basis he probably would have a lot more goals. Harry Kane will surpass his total soon too.

Realistically several England women players are likely to go beyond Rooney's total. Beth Mead has 27 goals in 42 appearances, Alessia Russo 7 in 10. Both have many games ahead of them and all they need is a few more games against the likes of Latvia, North Macedonia, Luxembourg amongst others and they will be chasing Ronaldo's record never mind Rooney.

But most of Rooney's goals WERE against Andorra, San Marino, Faroe Islands et.al. That's what's amusing about all this "

he also had a much higher level of comp

North West

But most of Rooney's goals WERE against Andorra, San Marino, Faroe Islands et.al. That's what's amusing about all this he also had a much higher level of comp "

Against the amateurs of San Marino, when England routinely scored 8, 9, 10 goals? There's a far more level competition within the ladies Euros right now than between England Men and San Marino/Andorra/Faroe Islands at any time in Rooney's career or now.

But most of Rooney's goals WERE against Andorra, San Marino, Faroe Islands et.al. That's what's amusing about all this he also had a much higher level of comp

Against the amateurs of San Marino, when England routinely scored 8, 9, 10 goals? There's a far more level competition within the ladies Euros right now than between England Men and San Marino/Andorra/Faroe Islands at any time in Rooney's career or now. "

england men world cup qualifying 22 goals scored 39 womens i cant find goals scored only goal difference of 68 for euro qualifiers thats insane

By *arlomaleMan  over a year ago

darlington

I’d say Rooneys goals for Man Utd is more impressive especially when you look at the world class forward they’ve had over the years personally like most of the England players from that era they hated playing for England and disliked their England team mates Rooney was class in the 2004 euros and that was it 1996 euros and France 1998 was the best I’ve seen of an England team and Glenn hoddle was the best manager shame he went a bit mental

And also nobody compares sarina williams vs the mens champions nadal and such or the cricket teams achievements or any other sport hell most of yhe time we get told its not a fair comp looking at the levels which i agree with as its not as in crowd numbers quality backing and such things yet when it suits the promotion you can compare i dunno it put a bee in my bonnet"

Roger Federer publicly said that he is second to Williams. So it’s not “nobody” who compares Williams to the mens champs.

By *innocentMan  over a year ago

Littlehampton

Guarantee 100% of the men commenting on this thread ,would be laughed at playing football by professional female players.

There's the only answer you need.

Professional

Has absolutely nothing to with whether you have a cock or not.

Roger Federer publicly said that he is second to Williams. So it’s not “nobody” who compares Williams to the mens champs."

Again the point of levels still stands. She might have more Grand Slams but she plays less sets and wouldn’t have one in a mixed competition.

"Guarantee 100% of the men commenting on this thread ,would be laughed at playing football by professional female players.

Professional

"

Not really. I’m shite at football but a non league side would wipe the floor with them. This isn’t a dig at them it’s just the different levels.

Eastbourne (she/they)

"Guarantee 100% of the men commenting on this thread ,would be laughed at playing football by professional female players.

Professional

"

I'd even say that if as much effort was put into supporting Women's football, on all levels it could potentially become even more popular than men's football.

But it gets nothing near the attention

By *instonandLadyAstorCouple  over a year ago

Not where we seem to be...

The top women's teams play each other.

The top mens teams play each other.

The men have their highest goalscorer, the women have theirs.

Both incredibly gifted and successful.

Same ball, same size pitch, same numbers in the team, same rules.

It's really that simple.

Winston

Littlehampton

Professional

Not really. I’m shite at football but a non league side would wipe the floor with them. This isn’t a dig at them it’s just the different levels."

What ?

So you are saying an amateur tennis player could beat Serena Williams.

Stop being silly ,and accept the fact women are better at something.

Littlehampton

Professional

I'd even say that if as much effort was put into supporting Women's football, on all levels it could potentially become even more popular than men's football.

But it gets nothing near the

attention"

Sadly most mens football knowledge comes only from turning on the PlayStation .

The women's game is so much better than the men's.

Professional

Not really. I’m shite at football but a non league side would wipe the floor with them. This isn’t a dig at them it’s just the different levels.

What ?

Stop being silly ,and accept the fact women are better at something."

The 203rd ranked male beat both sisters. He was smoking in between sets and beat them with ease.

Now who’s being silly?

Littlehampton

Professional

What ?

The 203rd ranked male beat both sisters. He was smoking in between sets and beat them with ease.

Now who’s being silly?"

Now post the year this was done,and come back to me when you realise that FEMALES AT THEIR PRIME are on the same level as any man.

Silly boy.

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Now post the year this was done,and come back to me when you realise that FEMALES AT THEIR PRIME are on the same level as any man.

Silly boy. "

Do you want to Google FC Dallas u15s boys VS US Women’s Team?

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

Do you want to Google FC Dallas u15s boys VS US Women’s Team?"

is that the multiple time olympic champion us womens team?

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

Do you want to Google FC Dallas u15s boys VS US Women’s Team?is that the multiple time olympic champion us womens team?"

He’s coming here white knighting and I’m presenting examples of how he is incorrect and he resorts to insults. Tells me all I need to know.

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

Do you want to Google FC Dallas u15s boys VS US Women’s Team?is that the multiple time olympic champion us womens team?"

Don’t forget World Cup winners.

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

Do you want to Google FC Dallas u15s boys VS US Women’s Team?is that the multiple time olympic champion us womens team?

He’s coming here white knighting and I’m presenting examples of how he is incorrect and he resorts to insults. Tells me all I need to know."

so we playing fifa later then

Littlehampton

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

Do you want to Google FC Dallas u1

5s boys VS US Women’s Team?"

The sun is shining ,get outside.

Realise women are earning far more money than you ,and their best player is about to show Wayne Rooney that not being able to score against Moldova in a world cup qualifier (a team full of window cleaners) is pathetic.

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

5s boys VS US Women’s Team?

Realise women are earning far more money than you ,and their best player is about to show Wayne Rooney that not being able to score against Moldova in a world cup qualifier (a team full of window cleaners) is pathetic.

"

And this is how you admit defeat without actually admitting anything

Eastbourne (she/they)

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

Do you want to Google FC Dallas u15s boys VS US Women’s Team?is that the multiple time olympic champion us womens team?

Don’t forget World Cup winners."

Got to love how you use a team sport example to refute a singles competition sport.

How about we compare the winners of the Bake Off too?

Littlehampton

Men getting so butt hurt over women being able to do something just as good as men , so entertaining

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

"

that latvia look real world beaters

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

He’s coming here white knighting and I’m presenting examples of how he is incorrect and he resorts to insults. Tells me all I need to know.so we playing fifa later then "

I’m in

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

Got to love how you use a team sport example to refute a singles competition sport.

How about we compare the winners of the Bake Off too?"

time trial usain bolt wr womens world record there 2 times to put against each other as close as you could get

Littlehampton

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

And this is how you admit defeat without actually admitting anything "

Defeat of what ?

You are quoting random things that aren't in a professional setting .

Some random ad hoc games that mean nothing.

Explain to me why a women's football team could absolutely destroy you and 10 male friends.

Eastbourne (she/they)

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

How about we compare the winners of the Bake Off too?time trial usain bolt wr womens world record there 2 times to put against each other as close as you could get "

How about you use Tennis to compare to Tennis...

By *JB1954Man  over a year ago

Reading

I remember around 1974 onwards. Some of the females who used the same public house as me. Played for a female local team. Some of us regularly

watched them on a Sunday when they played. Two years running in football close season they played as a friendly against the males in the public house. Most males who played in the games were playing in local Saturday mens league. Yes females twice beat the male team. Third year males decided not to play as were getting a lot of ‘ stick ‘ from people in public house about losing for a third year. Females had just won their league .

Littlehampton

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

He’s coming here white knighting and I’m presenting examples of how he is incorrect and he resorts to insults. Tells me all I need to know.so we playing fifa later then

I’m in

"

I could prove my point on FIFA,if needs be. Gender means nothing when it comes to ability .

Repeat that sentence in your mind until you understand.

MEANS

NOTHING

WHEN

IT

COMES

TO

ABILITY

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

How about we compare the winners of the Bake Off too?"

The thread is about football. I just stayed on topic.

Williams won her first tournament the same year that match took place. She won Wimbledon and the US open 2 years later. She was the world number 5 at the time.

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

He’s coming here white knighting and I’m presenting examples of how he is incorrect and he resorts to insults. Tells me all I need to know.so we playing fifa later then

I’m in

I could prove my point on FIFA,if needs be. Gender means nothing when it comes to ability .

MEANS

NOTHING

WHEN

IT

COMES

TO

ABILITY"

i was taking the mick

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

I’m in

MEANS

NOTHING

WHEN

IT

COMES

TO

ABILITY"

If this is true you’ll be able to give me some examples to back this up.

Believe it or not I am a feminist but no matter what my beliefs it doesn’t change facts.

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

How about we compare the winners of the Bake Off too?time trial usain bolt wr womens world record there 2 times to put against each other as close as you could get

How about you use Tennis to compare to Tennis..."

you said single comp i gave single comp

Littlehampton

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

How about we compare the winners of the Bake Off too?time trial usain bolt wr womens world record there 2 times to put against each other as close as you could get

How about you use Tennis to compare to Tennis...you said single comp i gave single comp"

Just give up fella,read the thread. You are making yourself look a bit weird now.

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

How about you use Tennis to compare to Tennis...you said single comp i gave single comp

Just give up fella,read the thread. You are making yourself look a bit weird now. "

It’s his thread

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

How about you use Tennis to compare to Tennis...you said single comp i gave single comp

Just give up fella,read the thread. You are making yourself look a bit weird now. "

its my bloody thread il type what i want cheeky bugger

Eastbourne (she/they)

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

How about you use Tennis to compare to Tennis...you said single comp i gave single comp"

I also said we should use bake off winners... but you didn't latch on to that did you?

There has to be a similar type of athleticism in the sports. And track is not the same as tennis is not the same as football.

I mean other racket sports would be vaguely comparable but only just.

Littlehampton

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

I’m in

MEANS

NOTHING

WHEN

IT

COMES

TO

ABILITY

Believe it or not I am a feminist but no matter what my beliefs it doesn’t change facts."

A woman is better at doing certain things than you are .

A man is better at doing certain things than you are .

A man can out play a woman.

A woman can out play a man .

Why is that so difficult for these people to understand.

Is it hot under that rock ?

Eastbourne (she/they)

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

Just give up fella,read the thread. You are making yourself look a bit weird now. its my bloody thread il type what i want cheeky bugger"

Yeah but your thread was about top Scorer... which has nothing to do with what you are talking about now...

How does starting the thread make you any more right?

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

I also said we should use bake off winners... but you didn't latch on to that did you?

There has to be a similar type of athleticism in the sports. And track is not the same as tennis is not the same as football.

I mean other racket sports would be vaguely comparable but only just."

sorry i know about 7 tennis players and a few girls who can fire ping pong balls out of there snatches

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

I’m in

MEANS

NOTHING

WHEN

IT

COMES

TO

ABILITY

Believe it or not I am a feminist but no matter what my beliefs it doesn’t change facts.

Is it hot under that rock ?"

These people? What do you mean by that? Is that racism?

Probably not but you’ll see how ridiculous it is when people get offended over something that wasn’t said.

Women will be better than men at a lot of things and men will be better than women at others. It just so happens the 2 sports we are talking about men are better and you’re getting worked up.

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

Just give up fella,read the thread. You are making yourself look a bit weird now. its my bloody thread il type what i want cheeky bugger

Yeah but your thread was about top Scorer... which has nothing to do with what you are talking about now...

How does starting the thread make you any more right?"

the point was simple its apples and oranges not apples and orange apples why do we compare womens and mens footballers for somethings not others yet in other sports they are not compared together

By *moothforestMan  over a year ago

New Forest

About time that women's sport is regarded as equal in stature. As usual it's white middle aged men calling the shots and denigrating the achievements of women.

Eastbourne (she/they)

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

Just give up fella,read the thread. You are making yourself look a bit weird now. its my bloody thread il type what i want cheeky bugger

How does starting the thread make you any more right?the point was simple its apples and oranges not apples and orange apples why do we compare womens and mens footballers for somethings not others yet in other sports they are not compared together "

Who is top scorer is not comparing Womens and mens athletes, it is stating who is the Top Scorer...

So the whole comparing the two isn't even on the original topic whatsoever.

Littlehampton

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

I’m in

MEANS

NOTHING

WHEN

IT

COMES

TO

ABILITY

Probably not but you’ll see how ridiculous it is when people get offended over something that wasn’t said.

Women will be better than men at a lot of things and men will be better than women at others. It just so happens the 2 sports we are talking about men are better and you’re getting worked up."

Oh my gosh.

Let's just hope this fella doesn't have a daughter.

Imagine how suppressed shed be when trying for sport ,just because daddy Loves men so much

Littlehampton

Surprise surprise..No man has taken me up on my offer of FIFA

By *riel13Woman  over a year ago

Northampton

He is top scorer against other male players at his level.... She is top scorer against other female players at her level... What's the problem?

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

I’m in

MEANS

NOTHING

WHEN

IT

COMES

TO

ABILITY

Women will be better than men at a lot of things and men will be better than women at others. It just so happens the 2 sports we are talking about men are better and you’re getting worked up.

Oh my gosh.

Imagine how suppressed shed be when trying for sport ,just because daddy Loves men so much"

I have 2 sons who love and respect women bit also understand facts.

The oldest also knows how to use an apostrophe.

Eastbourne (she/they)

"He is top scorer against other male players at his level.... She is top scorer against other female players at her level... What's the problem? "

I think the problem is some people have a problem with her being called the top scorer (without qualification of gender) when she surpasses Rooney...

I know ridiculous right?

"Surprise surprise..No man has taken me up on my offer of FIFA "

I don’t play FIFA or I’d beat you at that too

Port talbot

"Surprise surprise..No man has taken me up on my offer of FIFA "

I'll beat your ass on Fifa later if you haven't found anyone to throw your money at by then

"He is top scorer against other male players at his level.... She is top scorer against other female players at her level... What's the problem?

I think the problem is some people have a problem with her being called the top scorer (without qualification of gender) when she surpasses Rooney...

I know ridiculous right?"

When she shags more grannies I’ll compare the 2

Eastbourne (she/they)

"I have 2 sons who love and respect women bit also understand facts.

The oldest also knows how to use an apostrophe."

This is a site which many use from a mobile device which isn't conducive to having precise grammar at all times... being a member of the Alt-Write does nothing but make you look bad.

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

How does starting the thread make you any more right?the point was simple its apples and oranges not apples and orange apples why do we compare womens and mens footballers for somethings not others yet in other sports they are not compared together

Who is top scorer is not comparing Womens and mens athletes, it is stating who is the Top Scorer...

So the whole comparing the two isn't even on the original topic whatsoever."

and then i fleshed out the whys of my opinion as being my thread im able to

Littlehampton

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

I’m in

MEANS

NOTHING

WHEN

IT

COMES

TO

ABILITY

Oh my gosh.

Imagine how suppressed shed be when trying for sport ,just because daddy Loves men so much

The oldest also knows how to use an apostrophe."

I hope they can spell 'but' better than daddy also.

ULTIMATE FAIL

This is a site which many use from a mobile device which isn't conducive to having precise grammar at all times... being a member of the Alt-Write does nothing but make you look bad."

Insulting someone’s parenting abilities when they don’t know you looks a bit worse… don’t ya think?

Also being perpetually offended makes you look a million times worse.

Port talbot

"He is top scorer against other male players at his level.... She is top scorer against other female players at her level... What's the problem? "

That's exactly what I thought as well

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

I’m in

MEANS

NOTHING

WHEN

IT

COMES

TO

ABILITY

Oh my gosh.

ULTIMATE FAIL "

You do realise these women won’t shag you fella? You don’t need to keep this up.

Littlehampton

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

How does starting the thread make you any more right?the point was simple its apples and oranges not apples and orange apples why do we compare womens and mens footballers for somethings not others yet in other sports they are not compared together

So the whole comparing the two isn't even on the original topic whatsoever.and then i fleshed out the whys of my opinion as being my thread im able to "

If you keep digging that cringe hole , Australia is cooler than UK at moment.

Littlehampton

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

I’m in

MEANS

NOTHING

WHEN

IT

COMES

TO

ABILITY

Oh my gosh.

ULTIMATE FAIL

You do realise these women won’t shag you fella? You don’t need to keep this up."

What ?

I'm not replying to a female.

I'm replying to you.

Eastbourne (she/they)

This is a site which many use from a mobile device which isn't conducive to having precise grammar at all times... being a member of the Alt-Write does nothing but make you look bad.

Insulting someone’s parenting abilities when they don’t know you looks a bit worse… don’t ya think?

Also being perpetually offended makes you look a million times worse."

They addressed a hypothetical parenting situation. Not your parenting situation.

You are the only one who seems to have gotten offended in this.

They addressed a hypothetical parenting situation. Not your parenting situation.

You are the only one who seems to have gotten offended in this."

Not offended I just give as good as I get.

The green arrow tells a completely different story about you though.

Eastbourne (she/they)

"ULTIMATE FAIL

You do realise these women won’t shag you fella? You don’t need to keep this up."

Only sample size of this I have is me... and he is in with a better shot than you with me...

"ULTIMATE FAIL

You do realise these women won’t shag you fella? You don’t need to keep this up.

Only sample size of this I have is me... and he is in with a better shot than you with me..."

I am truly devastated. I will cry into my gorgeous wife’s arms immediately

Same commitment and dedication to the sport she loves and has worked extremely hard in the game so fair play to her, a extremely good role model for the younger generation.

People are so sensitive just be happy for her and be proud of her achievements.

Eastbourne (she/they)

The green arrow tells a completely different story about you though."

You obviously like to speak on topics you know nothing about, and I am not gonna have any truck with that.

Have the day you deserve.

The green arrow tells a completely different story about you though.

You obviously like to speak on topics you know nothing about, and I am not gonna have any truck with that.

Have the day you deserve. "

Good day

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

So the whole comparing the two isn't even on the original topic whatsoever.and then i fleshed out the whys of my opinion as being my thread im able to

If you keep digging that cringe hole , Australia is cooler than UK at moment. "

im not cringing at all i dont hide behind a need to impress people with my opinion its simply my opinion and yours is yours you attempted snide comments mean nothing to me i dont know you but a person on the internet im cool with that will this thread cost me anything no will i gain anything no im not overly fussed either way

Littlehampton

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

So the whole comparing the two isn't even on the original topic whatsoever.and then i fleshed out the whys of my opinion as being my thread im able to

If you keep digging that cringe hole , Australia is cooler than UK at moment. im not cringing at all i dont hide behind a need to impress people with my opinion its simply my opinion and yours is yours you attempted snide comments mean nothing to me i dont know you but a person on the internet im cool with that will this thread cost me anything no will i gain anything no im not overly fussed either way "

Not quite sure of your Confidence levels, but not every debate on the Internet is designed to 'impress' people.

Unless you are Insecure and need validation from strangers.

If you can't take people disagreeing with you, don't post to a public forum.

Quite simple really.

North West

"Same commitment and dedication to the sport she loves and has worked extremely hard in the game so fair play to her, a extremely good role model for the younger generation.

People are so sensitive just be happy for her and be proud of her achievements. "

Thank you. 100% this.

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

If you keep digging that cringe hole , Australia is cooler than UK at moment. im not cringing at all i dont hide behind a need to impress people with my opinion its simply my opinion and yours is yours you attempted snide comments mean nothing to me i dont know you but a person on the internet im cool with that will this thread cost me anything no will i gain anything no im not overly fussed either way

Not quite sure of your Confidence levels, but not every debate on the Internet is designed to 'impress' people.

Quite simple really. "

eh think you need a re read of what i just said

Littlehampton

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

If you keep digging that cringe hole , Australia is cooler than UK at moment. im not cringing at all i dont hide behind a need to impress people with my opinion its simply my opinion and yours is yours you attempted snide comments mean nothing to me i dont know you but a person on the internet im cool with that will this thread cost me anything no will i gain anything no im not overly fussed either way

Quite simple really. eh think you need a re read of what i just said "

Oh gosh. How sad.

Anyway. Congratulations to Ellen White.

If more people spent their time looking into the reasons why the levels are so far apart and rectifying it rather than arguing we’d be one step closer to equality in sports.

Professional

What ?

Now who’s being silly?

Silly boy.

Quite simple really. eh think you need a re read of what i just said

Oh gosh. How sad. "

im not the one reverting to name calling and sly digs

By *os19Man  over a year ago

Edmonton

"I heard something on the radio the other day saying ellen white is about to pass wayne rooney for englands all time top scorer what a load of rubbish

Which side do you fall on?"

. So by the wording you have used England’s all time top goalscorer let’s change it to Brazil all time top goalscorer we have Pele 77 goals and Marta 115 goals how many of you have heard of Marta

By *rilogyMan  over a year ago

Eastbourne

Rooney played under some awful managers though, carried England to between 2008-2012 when the golden generation got old. 2004-2006 we could of won if we had a better manager no doubt about that.

"I heard something on the radio the other day saying ellen white is about to pass wayne rooney for englands all time top scorer what a load of rubbish

Which side do you fall on?. So by the wording you have used England’s all time top goalscorer let’s change it to Brazil all time top goalscorer we have Pele 77 goals and Marta 115 goals how many of you have heard of Marta "

What difference does that make? It's well known that women's football does not have the following that mens does so therefore their players are not going to be as well known. Does not take away from their achievements.

Edmonton

To me it’s quite straight forward you have a men’s top goalscorer and a women’s top goalscorer and until someone invents a gender bender category let’s keep it that way

Port talbot

"To me it’s quite straight forward you have a men’s top goalscorer and a women’s top goalscorer and until someone invents a gender bender category let’s keep it that way"

Yeah I agree with that

Eastbourne (she/they)

"To me it’s quite straight forward you have a men’s top goalscorer and a women’s top goalscorer and until someone invents a gender bender category let’s keep it that way"

I think the argument is who gets to claim the title of

"England's Top Goal Scorer"

With some saying, whoever has scored the most goals, and others arguing the man, because man. (yes I am being deliberately facetious)

Port talbot

"To me it’s quite straight forward you have a men’s top goalscorer and a women’s top goalscorer and until someone invents a gender bender category let’s keep it that way

With some saying, whoever has scored the most goals, and others arguing the man, because man. (yes I am being deliberately facetious)"

You have mens football and womens football, should have mens top scorer and womens top scorer. It's pretty straightforward

By *moothforestMan  over a year ago

New Forest

Which side do you fall on?. So by the wording you have used England’s all time top goalscorer let’s change it to Brazil all time top goalscorer we have Pele 77 goals and Marta 115 goals how many of you have heard of Marta "

I have. Legendary Brazilian women's footballer.

Eastbourne (she/they)

"To me it’s quite straight forward you have a men’s top goalscorer and a women’s top goalscorer and until someone invents a gender bender category let’s keep it that way

With some saying, whoever has scored the most goals, and others arguing the man, because man. (yes I am being deliberately facetious)

You have mens football and womens football, should have mens top scorer and womens top scorer. It's pretty straightforward "

I am not disagreeing with you. In any way.

The problem being that OP and others are talking about what the answer is when Gender isn't mentioned.

It really doesn't take much to clarify what record you are discussing. and I am happy to do so!

Edmonton

Which side do you fall on?. So by the wording you have used England’s all time top goalscorer let’s change it to Brazil all time top goalscorer we have Pele 77 goals and Marta 115 goals how many of you have heard of Marta

I have. Legendary Brazilian women's footballer. "

. Yes I have as well but when Neymar breaks Pele men’s goalscoring record which he probably how many well say that Pele is now 3rd Neymar is now 2nd and Marta is still 1st

Which side do you fall on?. So by the wording you have used England’s all time top goalscorer let’s change it to Brazil all time top goalscorer we have Pele 77 goals and Marta 115 goals how many of you have heard of Marta

I have. Legendary Brazilian women's footballer. . Yes I have as well but when Neymar breaks Pele men’s goalscoring record which he probably how many well say that Pele is now 3rd Neymar is now 2nd and Marta is still 1st"

To be fair she’s probably better than Pele. Obviously his Brazil goals count but the rest we’re against plumbers and children in his back garden.

North West

He may be England men's top scorer, but that doesn't really mean a lot these days, does it? Rooney played under some awful managers though, carried England to between 2008-2012 when the golden generation got old. 2004-2006 we could of won if we had a better manager no doubt about that."

England Ladies have had various managers of various calibre. It's irrelevant. Goals scored is goals scored. Or have goals scored in a men's competition suddenly become worth 2x goals scored in a ladies competition?

I have. Legendary Brazilian women's footballer. . Yes I have as well but when Neymar breaks Pele men’s goalscoring record which he probably how many well say that Pele is now 3rd Neymar is now 2nd and Marta is still 1st

To be fair she’s probably better than Pele. Obviously his Brazil goals count but the rest we’re against plumbers and children in his back garden."

Were**

Edmonton

I have. Legendary Brazilian women's footballer. . Yes I have as well but when Neymar breaks Pele men’s goalscoring record which he probably how many well say that Pele is now 3rd Neymar is now 2nd and Marta is still 1st

To be fair she’s probably better than Pele. Obviously his Brazil goals count but the rest we’re against plumbers and children in his back garden."

. How can you say she is better than Pele next argument will be who the greatest footballer is of all time and Marta comes ahead of Pele , Maradona , Messi , Ronaldo lol.

By *riel13Woman  over a year ago

Northampton

To be fair she’s probably better than Pele. Obviously his Brazil goals count but the rest we’re against plumbers and children in his back garden.. How can you say she is better than Pele next argument will be who the greatest footballer is of all time and Marta comes ahead of Pele , Maradona , Messi , Ronaldo lol."

Is she not better at her level, than they are at theirs?

By *reamblueMan  over a year ago

London

Which side do you fall on?"

I don't see why it matters

darlington

He may be England men's top scorer, but that doesn't really mean a lot these days, does it? Rooney played under some awful managers though, carried England to between 2008-2012 when the golden generation got old. 2004-2006 we could of won if we had a better manager no doubt about that."

we had a world class manager in capello unfortunately he was working with players who didn’t like each other and spat their dummy out because he banned them from using ketchup and fined them for being late the so called golden generation where individually brilliant and would of got into any top European side the biggest crime was playing Paul scholes out of position I think that team was far better than the current England team but they seem to play for each other probably down to GS

Well i never

He may be England men's top scorer, but that doesn't really mean a lot these days, does it? Rooney played under some awful managers though, carried England to between 2008-2012 when the golden generation got old. 2004-2006 we could of won if we had a better manager no doubt about that. we had a world class manager in capello unfortunately he was working with players who didn’t like each other and spat their dummy out because he banned them from using ketchup and fined them for being late the so called golden generation where individually brilliant and would of got into any top European side the biggest crime was playing Paul scholes out of position I think that team was far better than the current England team but they seem to play for each other probably down to GS"

I think a lot of it was down to the club before country mentality. They hated each other most weekends of the year but were expected to play together whenever England played.

A lot of the current England players have played together for their country from being teenagers and there’s a real togetherness with them.

By *penbicoupleCouple  over a year ago

Northampton

This thread!

I agree with the OP that it is unfair to compare the Men's and Women's teams.

The women are actually good!

To be fair she’s probably better than Pele. Obviously his Brazil goals count but the rest we’re against plumbers and children in his back garden.. How can you say she is better than Pele next argument will be who the greatest footballer is of all time and Marta comes ahead of Pele , Maradona , Messi , Ronaldo lol."

It was a joke because Pele’s stats are seriously padded. No doubt he was an unbelievable player but 500+ of his goals were in unofficial matches.

Wayne rooney isnt englands all time goal scorer either just saying its only the fa that considers him tip scorer so hes the fas top england scorer i put vivian woodward into top spot

many early matches by the England Amateur side were played against the full national side of opponents. These matches are counted as full internationals by the IFFHS and the opposing FAs, though not by the (English) FA. This affects Vivian Woodward, who scored 29 goals 23 in full internationals and a further 44 in amateur internationals recognized by the opposing FAs

See politics is everywhere with this shit

Wayne Rooney never fulfilled his potential. That brief glimpse in his early career was all we hold onto. Like Beckham, Shearer, Gerhard, Owen, Scholes and Lampard. Good but never great.

Ellen White I believe is held in the highest regard for women's football. Therefore could be considered the greatest England has.

"Wayne Rooney never fulfilled his potential. That brief glimpse in his early career was all we hold onto. Like Beckham, Shearer, Gerhard, Owen, Scholes and Lampard. Good but never great.

Ellen White I believe is held in the highest regard for women's football. Therefore could be considered the greatest England has.

"

All those players you named walk into any team at their peak.

darlington

"Wayne Rooney never fulfilled his potential. That brief glimpse in his early career was all we hold onto. Like Beckham, Shearer, Gerhard, Owen, Scholes and Lampard. Good but never great.

"

never filled his potential he’s won everything in the game at club level not to mention Man Utd’s all time top goal scorer

By *elkieWoman  over a year ago

Durham

"

Ellen White is the second most capped player this country has had to date and is likely to score more goals for this country than anyone else. I do not understand why anyone is arguing this or underestimating her achievement. Unless it’s sexism?

Keep em coming people

By *tylebender03Man  over a year ago

Manchester

I think people should respect the levels. Rooney did it for a long time at the highest level of the game. No disrespect to the women’s game but it’s at a much, much lower level

Eastbourne (she/they)

"I think people should respect the levels. Rooney did it for a long time at the highest level of the game. No disrespect to the women’s game but it’s at a much, much lower level "

What makes it a much, much lower level?

"And Gazza and Shearer won nothing and would wipe the floor with all of them. true story

Oh what rot. Gazza had enormous potential, agreed, but was too immature and undisciplined to make the most of it. He'll be mostly remembered for the goal against Scotland in 96 Euros and crying in the 1990 semi.

Shearer was like Rooney, another good English footballer, but absolutely nothing compared internationally. (And he's as boring as fuck on MOTD).

Face it - none of us will ever see an England men's team win a World Cup or even a Euro, no matter how much they dive or cry racism when they lose. Still, we can always admire the kneeling and the rainbow laces. Something to be proud of

England women are the best hope for an England football team to win a major tournament.

"

I'll take a healthy wager we see a World Cup and Euros in my lifetime.

Mens that is (for clarity)

"I think people should respect the levels. Rooney did it for a long time at the highest level of the game. No disrespect to the women’s game but it’s at a much, much lower level

What makes it a much, much lower level?"

the speed the athletesism the reactions the power the natural physical advantages the passing accuracy the touch to name a few things these girls are fitter and faster than most people on the street but the england men play in the most elite league in the world with the highest competition level in the world

"I think people should respect the levels. Rooney did it for a long time at the highest level of the game. No disrespect to the women’s game but it’s at a much, much lower level

What makes it a much, much lower level?"

Technical ability, speed and physicality to name three.

Also, the goal keeping in womens football is in the main horrendous!

It’s pretty simple. She will be the top scorer for England internationals. Rooney will still be top for Mens Internationals.

Get your comments in people

"Get your comments in people"

How badly do you want this to 175?

"Get your comments in people

How badly do you want this to 175?"

i wont know what to do when it does

"Get your comments in people

How badly do you want this to 175?i wont know what to do when it does "

You’re about to find out

By *ohn KanakaMan  over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

I don't really understand football and I really don't understand the fans and this thread just makes me glad about that...

Am I missing something or is this thread basically men getting upset that

a woman might be better than a man at kicking a ball and men desperately trying to find reasons to mitigate against that?

All seems a little fragile in their own masculinity...