FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Is lightspeed way too slow?

Is lightspeed way too slow?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

To avoid ertain extinction in 4 billion years when the sun burns out, we'd have to be able to exceed the speed of light by several thousand fold to reach what might be the nearest inhabitable planets. Ruling that out, is the only other possibility of reaching them using manageable wormholes in spacetime?

Is not being able to see dark matter because as the matrix which binds the universe together, it is curved and from wherever you view it, you are standing at the horizon? if we stepped "through" the doorway between the physical universe and "into" dark matter, could we be everywhere simultaneously or at least cross between two points at any distance apart instantly? Is the illusive dark matter actually going to turn out to be a "superhighway" through space time?

The ability to create a doorway, stepping between two points any distance apart in the universe would be a bit of a game changer for travel.

Hey Mr.Musk....hold my beer!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Considering the exponential rise in flat earthers mate you’ve got your work cut out just getting people to believe they won’t fall off the edge if the current train they’re on keeps going in a straight line.

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple  over a year ago

Coventry

I don't know about all that. I'm just going to concentrate on living my best life now. Orgy anyone?

By * kiss like morphineMan  over a year ago

The gravelly bit next to the shed

No no light speed to slow, we need to go to... LUDICROUS SPEED!

By *eneralKenobiMan  over a year ago

North Angus

"No no light speed to slow, we need to go to... LUDICROUS SPEED!"

Spaceballs

By *hePerkyPumpkinTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol

You build a gravity drive that folds space... the two points in space millions of lightyears apart will be together for a moment allowing a ship to pass through.

I think I saw this in a film once, it worked out brilliantly for everyone involved

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

The difficulty with theoretical physics is its theoretical.

Science fact is a long way from science fiction.

I think we are a long way from creating faster than light speed, probably mainly due to a practical power source to power a propulsion system.

Wormholes/ folding space and so on once again a power source and the ability to generate a stable, containable wormhole is perhaps something based in science fiction and theory.

Funding is going to be the biggest issue so unless they find a distinct planet rich in mineral wealth then I can't see funds being available.

Obviously the other issue is then any planet observed will be many millions of years older by the time we view them, then travel there.

I think humanity would have destroyed itself before then anyway.

Live long and prosper.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

I'm gonna need a Corellian light freighter, one that can do the Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs

Bristol

"I'm gonna need a Corellian light freighter, one that can do the Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs "

Isn't that a unit of distance?

By *orny DeucesCouple  over a year ago

Mansfield

"To avoid ertain extinction in 4 billion years when the sun burns out, we'd have to be able to exceed the speed of light by several thousand fold to reach what might be the nearest inhabitable planets. Ruling that out, is the only other possibility of reaching them using manageable wormholes in spacetime?

Is not being able to see dark matter because as the matrix which binds the universe together, it is curved and from wherever you view it, you are standing at the horizon? if we stepped "through" the doorway between the physical universe and "into" dark matter, could we be everywhere simultaneously or at least cross between two points at any distance apart instantly? Is the illusive dark matter actually going to turn out to be a "superhighway" through space time?

The ability to create a doorway, stepping between two points any distance apart in the universe would be a bit of a game changer for travel.

"

Hibernation, watch a few space documentaries on it, there is one with Chris pratt and Jennifer Lawrence in it except his capsule broke and released him early and then he broke hers cause he was horny.

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

I think we should stop wasting money on fantasies and use it to help people live better lives before we become extinct.

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

The easier fix would be to properly integrate with machines. Then have an AI controlled space craft that maintains itself. We power off until we get where we need to go

North West

"I'm gonna need a Corellian light freighter, one that can do the Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs

Isn't that a unit of distance? "

It is, but I didn't invent the Millennium Falcon

By *yron69Man  over a year ago

Fareham

Wormholes are very theoretical and I for one don’t want to descend into a black hole to find the other end.

Interesting according to theory the world inside a black hole is actual reality and not outside of one…

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple  over a year ago

Lincoln

One billion is a fecking long time, let alone four times that. And in the highly unlikely scenario that humanity is still around in that time, I'd imagine people much smarter than I would have figured something out by then

LvM

I love the idea that travelling between two points instantaneously would render all other forms of transport useless.

East London

"The easier fix would be to properly integrate with machines. Then have an AI controlled space craft that maintains itself. We power off until we get where we need to go "

Do you think other life forms have done that and will eventually reach Earth?

Bristol

"I love the idea that travelling between two points instantaneously would render all other forms of transport useless."

I think in an episode of Star Trek TNG a race of aliens informs the Federation that the warp drive they use is slowly breaking down the natural fabric of reality and destroying the universe.

You can almost guarantee that's what would happen if we ever invent warp technology...

By *tephanjMan  over a year ago

Kettering

Just find the stargates simples

At the end off the day I be long dead and gone so not my problem

Dunno about all that sciencey stuff.

Can I just get my cock wet on here?

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan  over a year ago

Aylesbury

Why can't we just die out? We a re a shit species anyway and the universe would be better without us

By *he Artful TodgerMan  over a year ago

Yorkshire but travel

E=MC2

So we’d need an ever growing energy source to propel an ever increasing mass beyond light speed, it’s not possible to do so until science finds another means if that exists

Hot topic for a swinging site too…

Perhaps it would cause a tear in the space time continuum. Unleashing unimaginable forces and we will all be dead anyway?

OK, so starter for 10.

Which do you think is more likely, "teleporting" or time travel?

Or do you think that they go hand in hand?

"Why can't we just die out? We a re a shit species anyway and the universe would be better without us"

As grim as this is, you’re not wrong.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

If this planet makes it to another 4 billion years then think about about it. The way it’s going, we are going it, it’s very unlikely

"OK, so starter for 10.

Or do you think that they go hand in hand? "

Neither are possible with our model or understanding of the laws of physics.

By *ustintime69Man  over a year ago

Bristol

"Why can't we just die out? We a re a shit species anyway and the universe would be better without us"

I raise a glass to you young man

East London

"Perhaps it would cause a tear in the space time continuum. Unleashing unimaginable forces and we will all be dead anyway? "

"Things" will come through the tear

By *areToShareCouple  over a year ago

Bingham

"To avoid ertain extinction in 4 billion years when the sun burns out, we'd have to be able to exceed the speed of light by several thousand fold to reach what might be the nearest inhabitable planets. Ruling that out, is the only other possibility of reaching them using manageable wormholes in spacetime?

"

Just because someone says the sun will 'burn out' in 4 billion years, does that mean it's true? Where's the proof? We can't even predict the weather correctly for the next 2 weeks, yet alone the lifespan of the sun!

Let's face it, if the sun burned out in 3,999,999,999 years, 51 weeks, 6 days, 23 hours and 59 minutes and 59 seconds, would anyone here be disappointed and start demanding an inquiry?

Worry about today if you want to worry. Mankind I feel will be long gone in 4 billion years... Starved to death, worked to death and vaccinated to death by Conservatives!

Bristol

"OK, so starter for 10.

Neither are possible with our model or understanding of the laws of physics. "

I think I heard once that some scientists have been able transport/teleport things at a molecular level, like small clusters of particles can be broken down transported then rebuilt.

"OK, so starter for 10.

I think I heard once that some scientists have been able transport/teleport things at a molecular level, like small clusters of particles can be broken down transported then rebuilt. "

At 4x c’ wouldn’t the gravitational forces be so great that nothing would be able to withstand them and be turned into… god knows what?

"OK, so starter for 10.

I think I heard once that some scientists have been able transport/teleport things at a molecular level, like small clusters of particles can be broken down transported then rebuilt. "

If you were jumping through a point where space were folded why would you have to break the object down?

People should dream, even about the impossible. It's those who dare to dream that make the impossible possible.

"

We can’t and won’t go extinct. We’re part of the universe, just in human form. Humans might go but whatever we’re made from will be here forever in some form or another

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

"The easier fix would be to properly integrate with machines. Then have an AI controlled space craft that maintains itself. We power off until we get where we need to go

Do you think other life forms have done that and will eventually reach Earth?"

Potentially, the problem really is how big space is

For example, let’s say we had a telescope powerful enough to see 4 billion light years away and we see a planet with life on it.

Firstly, we are looking at light that’s 4 billion years old. We are basically looking at the past. That civilisation might be long gone.

But ignoring that, even if we powered ourselves down and set off at half the speed of light, that’s 8 billion years to reach them.

The universe is so big we have to accept that we won’t find life and travel to it by this method. It’s just too big.

The only way this method works is AI robots making Millions of ships with consciousness stored on them and just blasting them off in different directions.

And even then, a fuel source is needed for the trip.

It’s complicated. Basically, unless we figure out how to bend space/time to travel faster than the speed of light via wormholes or something, it just won’t happen

In my own lifetime, I have seen the disappearance of rainforests to be replaced by slash and burn palm plantations for the production of palm oil in our processed food; cities grow out of sand dunes, metropolis built on reclaimed land from the sea destroying reefs and the ecosystems of marine life that depended on it. That's just some of what I've seen myself in my half a century of life.

If we don't look after our physical space and how we live in it, I'm not sure we'll have enough time to work out how to escape to somewhere else hospitable.

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan  over a year ago

Aylesbury

"Why can't we just die out? We a re a shit species anyway and the universe would be better without us

As grim as this is, you’re not wrong."

It's both a gift and a curse

Bingham

And here you all are.. Totally ignoring the fact that 'time' is a man made construct. Time exists only in the mind of those that has been told it does.. Similarly to those that think there's a God. Similarly that the number 8 follows the number 7..you've been taught that, but that doesn't make it real.

These constructs are designed and created to simply make an existence have some sort of purpose. That's of course assuming you exist in the 'reality' you think you do.

Bristol

"OK, so starter for 10.

I think I heard once that some scientists have been able transport/teleport things at a molecular level, like small clusters of particles can be broken down transported then rebuilt.

If you were jumping through a point where space were folded why would you have to break the object down?"

Well if you are folding space then nothing has to be broken down, and you can just travel through. Like when the Enterprise warps.

But if you're moving things in space (like the transporters in Star Trek) then whatever object gets moved is broken down and rebuilt

By *rightonfranceMan  over a year ago

brighton - chalais france

"And here you all are.. Totally ignoring the fact that 'time' is a man made construct. Time exists only in the mind of those that has been told it does.. Similarly to those that think there's a God. Similarly that the number 8 follows the number 7..you've been taught that, but that doesn't make it real.

These constructs are designed and created to simply make an existence have some sort of purpose. That's of course assuming you exist in the 'reality' you think you do.

"

Getting a bit matrixy now aren't we..lol

"And here you all are.. Totally ignoring the fact that 'time' is a man made construct. Time exists only in the mind of those that has been told it does.. Similarly to those that think there's a God. Similarly that the number 8 follows the number 7..you've been taught that, but that doesn't make it real.

"

Come on now. You can’t leave it at that. I implore you to impart your wisdom upon us. The unwashed small folk of fab.

By *ackdaw52Man  over a year ago

Chesterfield

Yes, light speed is too slow to travel around in space. It works take thousands of years to get anywhere.

This planet is our home, but it's also a prison.

By *ack688Man  over a year ago

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

I think it’s amazingly optimistic that you imagine mankind won’t have died out long before the next 4 billion years have passed!

But that aside, sci fi very rarely takes into account the time distortion that occurs as velocity increases, to the point whereby time effectively stops for anyone travelling at light speed, so although to an observer it may seem as though thousands of years might be passing for a vessel travelling at light speed, for those experiencing it, it would be as though hardly any time has passed depending on how close to light speed you could get.

[Removed by poster at 12/07/22 14:33:30]

Im just going to wvolve into a 4th dimensional being and all my problems will be solved

Anyone got a spare couple of stargates knocking around?

C.

Bingham

"Im just going to wvolve into a 4th dimensional being and all my problems will be solved "

Just 'identify' as one.. That seemingly changes genders and all known laws of biology and physics. You can then do anything you want. Take any disagreement as 'offence' and its a win win.

By *sLillyMrWolfeCouple  over a year ago

near you...

"I think we should stop wasting money on fantasies and use it to help people live better lives before we become extinct."

Teleportation is not a fantasy. It's already been proven (albeit on a small scale).

By *sLillyMrWolfeCouple  over a year ago

near you...

"OK, so starter for 10.

Neither are possible with our model or understanding of the laws of physics. "

Teleportation is already proven. Google it.

And it depends what you mean by time travel: every time you look into the sky and see the sun you are looking at something that existed 8 minutes ago, and when you look into the night sky you are seeing signals from centuries or millenia ago.

By *aiseiMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

"You build a gravity drive that folds space... the two points in space millions of lightyears apart will be together for a moment allowing a ship to pass through.

I think I saw this in a film once, it worked out brilliantly for everyone involved "

Love that film!

"OK, so starter for 10.

Teleportation is already proven. Google it.

And it depends what you mean by time travel: every time you look into the sky and see the sun you are looking at something that existed 8 minutes ago, and when you look into the night sky you are seeing signals from centuries or millenia ago."

I don’t need to google anything.

It’s hypothetical ie disproven.

Photons travelling through space? Does that makes us all time travellers? I’m going back to the era of Bacchanalia in Ancient Rome.

North West

"Anyone got a spare couple of stargates knocking around?

C. "

Do you wanna build a Stargate?

Keep thinking science, keep thinking science....

I may last longer if I don't go at light speed....

By *ancsdaveMan  over a year ago

Preston

Need to go at the speed of milk.... its past yer eyes before you see it

By *ildmanYorksMan  over a year ago

Doncaster & Bembridge

The thing that worries me about travelling faster than the speed of light is how do you see where you're going as you're going faster than the light of your destination can reach you. Also how can you see if there are any obstacles in your way?

Aaaarrrrgggghhhhhh!!!!

Does anybody know Prof Brian Cox

North West

"The thing that worries me about travelling faster than the speed of light is how do you see where you're going as you're going faster than the light of your destination can reach you. Also how can you see if there are any obstacles in your way?

Aaaarrrrgggghhhhhh!!!!

"

I've met him. He works just up the road from us.

"The thing that worries me about travelling faster than the speed of light is how do you see where you're going as you're going faster than the light of your destination can reach you. Also how can you see if there are any obstacles in your way?

Aaaarrrrgggghhhhhh!!!!

"

As Han solo said "you could fly right into and asteroid field"

Never go warp factor 10 into a black hole without some prep work first.

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan  over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

"

Sounds more plausible than getting a plane on time atm so ....

Its a shame Stephen Hawking died, he was working on a Warp engine..hopefully someone else will follow up his work

By *iman2100Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

Stop worrying. Humanity will make itself extinct long before interplanatory travel is in its infancy. Enjoy life now. Carpe Diem!

I recall recent experiments proving the same particle existed in two different places simultaneously.

I've seen Brian Cox live and watched plenty of his TV series but one of my favourite is the one where he said. "If you don't understand what it is I'm talking about, don't worry because I don't understand it either and neither does anyone else!" Lmao.

In reality, anything you can't disprove is something that's possible. The universe is a miraculous place where almost anything could be possible.

Opening a portal that allows you to step out of London and into New York. I can't prove it's possible but you can't prove it isn't, that's what's exciting.

Is it too late to become an astro physicist? Lol

By *lynJMan  over a year ago

Morden

"Anyone who claims to understand quantum theory is either lying or crazy" allegedly a quote from physicist Richard Feynman

"You build a gravity drive that folds space... the two points in space millions of lightyears apart will be together for a moment allowing a ship to pass through.

I think I saw this in a film once, it worked out brilliantly for everyone involved "

You just described Warp Drive.

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

Should be easy o/p. Couple of hundred years ago, they'd have said you were mad for suggesting man would one day fly to the moon.

By *rightonfranceMan  over a year ago

brighton - chalais france

Aaaarrrrgggghhhhhh!!!!

"

The Prof has one of my products.. a good customer.. lol

By *rAitchMan  over a year ago

Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe

I want to know what the speed of dark is, as there seems to be more dark than light in the universe!

That might be the answer - travel at the speed of dark!

» Add a new message to this topic