FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > What little customs and traditions

What little customs and traditions

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *phrodite OP   Woman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

do you have in the run up to Christmas? I know it is early but... I am curious.

I have always maintained a family tradition of putting a few chocolate coins (the silver and gold ones you can get from M&S and a few other shops) on each step of the stair case and leading to the kids' rooms. I cannot even remember where that originated but it always looked nice and the kids loved it (and still do!!!) Sadly they dont last til CHristmas and need regular replenishing.. but hey...

So what things are traditional in your home?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

We used to run Christmas day the same when my dad was alive.

Wake up, make Mum and Dad a brew, open stockings on their bed, go downstairs make a champagne breakfast (obviously that's been since I've been old enough to drink lol) then my brother and I sort the presents into piles, then we open the presents, then a walk round the local reservoir, then Dad and I made Christmas Dinner, then we would eat, followed by a night at the neighbours with games and alcohol.

Its going to be all different now Dad isn't here and Mum has a new partner - I don't want Christmas to happen

We used to write our letter to Santa and put it into my nana's coal fire to 'post' it.

My youngest child did the same with our coal fire in our last house.

Now my grandson comes to see me to 'post' his letter up my chimney, even though it's a living-flame gas fire.

"

Its going to be all different now Dad isn't here and Mum has a new partner - I don't want Christmas to happen "

I can really relate to that feeling. And it will be different - but maybe it could be good in a different way?

"We used to write our letter to Santa and put it into my nana's coal fire to 'post' it.

My youngest child did the same with our coal fire in our last house.

Now my grandson comes to see me to 'post' his letter up my chimney, even though it's a living-flame gas fire. "

Aw that is cute. I have kept some of my own kids' letters to Santa.. and they absolutely love reading them now!

"We used to run Christmas day the same when my dad was alive.

Wake up, make Mum and Dad a brew, open stockings on their bed, go downstairs make a champagne breakfast (obviously that's been since I've been old enough to drink lol) then my brother and I sort the presents into piles, then we open the presents, then a walk round the local reservoir, then Dad and I made Christmas Dinner, then we would eat, followed by a night at the neighbours with games and alcohol.

Its going to be all different now Dad isn't here and Mum has a new partner - I don't want Christmas to happen "

Now is a time to make new traditions.

When I lost my partner I thought Christmas would be lonely for his son and I but, we get together with my older two children.

Our new tradition is we all make one course or something to put towards the dinner and put them all together on the table and share.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

For breakfast every christmas day since ive been alive ive had, boiled bacon(gammon) and porkpie. My grandma did it, my mum and now me.

Glass of sherry and mince pie for santa left out.

With callum i used to leave one small present in his room so he would no he had "been" then he would wait while i made a coffe then undo his santa sack. Even now (at 22) he still has the same santa sack i bought his first christmas, its a big material one

"

Its going to be all different now Dad isn't here and Mum has a new partner - I don't want Christmas to happen I can really relate to that feeling. And it will be different - but maybe it could be good in a different way? "

Mum's partner is not into Christmas, my brother doesn't like said partner so I'm stuck in the middle of it all. I wish I could afford to just vanish for Christmas.

"

Its going to be all different now Dad isn't here and Mum has a new partner - I don't want Christmas to happen I can really relate to that feeling. And it will be different - but maybe it could be good in a different way?

Mum's partner is not into Christmas, my brother doesn't like said partner so I'm stuck in the middle of it all. I wish I could afford to just vanish for Christmas."

Yeah I can see why that sounds like sitting between two chairs. Maybe just agree to spend some time with them and have some other time with friends?

"

Its going to be all different now Dad isn't here and Mum has a new partner - I don't want Christmas to happen I can really relate to that feeling. And it will be different - but maybe it could be good in a different way?

Mum's partner is not into Christmas, my brother doesn't like said partner so I'm stuck in the middle of it all. I wish I could afford to just vanish for Christmas.Yeah I can see why that sounds like sitting between two chairs. Maybe just agree to spend some time with them and have some other time with friends? "

I'm having my brother spend two nights with me and we'll go and see Mum on Christmas Day and we'll go to my dad's tree on our own without her partner there. I'm turning into Scrooge!

My kids used yo burn thier letters to santa eith special fairy dust dave used to get, but alcan has closed so no more fairy dust. We make crackers for the tree every year, kids snd grandkids. Every year since eldest was little they have chosen a new tree dec each, thats passed on to them with thier kids

my childhood christmas, consisted of two d*unk parents and I vowed my kids would never have that,.so no alcohol christmas day, but night is a different matter

By *he tactile technicianMan  over a year ago

the good lands, the bad lands, the any where you may want me lands

"do you have in the run up to Christmas? I know it is early but... I am curious.

I have always maintained a family tradition of putting a few chocolate coins (the silver and gold ones you can get from M&S and a few other shops) on each step of the stair case and leading to the kids' rooms. I cannot even remember where that originated but it always looked nice and the kids loved it (and still do!!!) Sadly they dont last til CHristmas and need regular replenishing.. but hey...

So what things are traditional in your home? "

Boxing day dinner is always a Nassi Goring using the left over turkey and roast ham, has been from the age of 6 when I lived in Malaysia and still remains a tradition for my parents, my brother and myself now we're all doing our own things

I am continiuing the tradition of saying 'Bah Humbug' quite a lot and being called a miserable twat by all that know me

By *ogistical NightmaresCouple  over a year ago

Manchester Area

"I am continiuing the tradition of saying 'Bah Humbug' quite a lot and being called a miserable twat by all that know me "

Dont forget to taser the carol singers and get them dancing like James Brown as they run away down the path

I always insist that the smalls, have a nicce bath and have a new pair of "christmas PJs" for Christmas Eve....

No presents are opened until breakfast is finsihed with and we are all dressed and tidy..... Fell quite mean sometimes ... x

One of our traditions is me, mum and her mum playing Scrabble in the afternoon while Grandad snoozes. We didn't play it last year and I hated that, but I hate it even more now my Grandad has gone as it was our last 'normal' Christmas.

I can't wait to have my own family to start our own traditions, mixed in with the family ones

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Boxing day we always have a massive party at my best friends, oldies and youngsters together and we always play bingo in the afternoon. It works out about £30 a house that many play lol.

Apparently when we are too old the young ones have said they will carry it on

By *ub bbwWoman  over a year ago

oldbury

Our tree went up the first weekend in December as does mine now.

My aunty used to always have a small tree with goodies on it to eat cookies gingerbread men candy canes strung popcorn and homemade chocolates. I now do this too as I think its a nice thing for when people call round.

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

"I always insist that the smalls, have a nicce bath and have a new pair of "christmas PJs" for Christmas Eve....

No presents are opened until breakfast is finsihed with and we are all dressed and tidy..... Fell quite mean sometimes ... x

"

That was the rule when I was a kid and my siblings have continued it.

That way everyone sees things get opened and the kids don't have a meltdown before lunch caused by over excitement and lack of sleep

Get up xmas morning to see if Santa has been and then sort the dinner out (having a big fook off bbq instead of traditional this year) and then watch everyone get pissed and ferry them home and listen to d*unken ramblings

By *aceytopWoman  over a year ago

from a town near you

sadley my wonderful Mum in law has gone now and so has my Dad,time to make new traditions with my new Grandson,hopefully my Youngest Daughter will get leave and join us because next year she will be in Afghanistan

"do you have in the run up to Christmas? I know it is early but... I am curious.

So what things are traditional in your home? Boxing day dinner is always a Nassi Goring using the left over turkey and roast ham, has been from the age of 6 when I lived in Malaysia and still remains a tradition for my parents, my brother and myself now we're all doing our own things

"

I love Nasi Goreng - thought that was Indonesian or maybe similar... either way I like that kind of food.

By *he tactile technicianMan  over a year ago

the good lands, the bad lands, the any where you may want me lands

So what things are traditional in your home? Boxing day dinner is always a Nassi Goring using the left over turkey and roast ham, has been from the age of 6 when I lived in Malaysia and still remains a tradition for my parents, my brother and myself now we're all doing our own things

I love Nasi Goreng - thought that was Indonesian or maybe similar... either way I like that kind of food. "

Yeah! me too, I get withdrawl symptons if I don't have Nasi Goring, Mekon Goring, or Singapore Rice Noodles at least once a fortnight, yummy yummy yummy I think that the all day vegetarian breakfast from Tesco's is off the menu, we'll have to agree to settle for something more oriental don't you think?

It's the preference for my company, spicey with that far eastern mystery

» Add a new message to this topic