FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > American v English

American v English

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ackformore100 OP   Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Americans have changed the meanings of some words..

Fanny pack... I mean.. The differences could cause a few problems

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

"Americans have changed the meanings of some words..

Fanny pack... I mean.. The differences could cause a few problems "

Fanny itself means something else.

Homely is another one. I think it means frumpy and dowdy. It's a derogatory term.

Washing up is a good one. To them it's washing themselves. When I was a teen, I was at dinner with a mate and his American cousin (a girl). She said she would do the dishes and take a shower before we all went out. I said "I'll help you wash up". I got a fowl look from her. It took us a few minutes to sort it out.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I used to have an American partner. Before we lived together we played scrabble on line (and yes we played other things as well). As spelling differed, we had to agree to use both US and UK spelling when we played.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

It's a bit like chimps and humans. There has been independent evolution of English, as there has with primates, into related sub dialects.

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

"It's a bit like chimps and humans. There has been independent evolution of English, as there has with primates, into related sub dialects."

Are you suggesting Americans are chimp like? Sort of look similar to us just with lower IQ and more primitive behaviour?

Mr

By *haron StonerTV/TS  over a year ago

Haywards Heath

"It's a bit like chimps and humans. There has been independent evolution of English, as there has with primates, into related sub dialects."

That's rich!

Usually it's the base language that gets modified to modern usage. But not the English, Pig Latin, Cockney and Chav speak.

Manchester (she/her)

"It's a bit like chimps and humans. There has been independent evolution of English, as there has with primates, into related sub dialects.

Are you suggesting Americans are chimp like? Sort of look similar to us just with lower IQ and more primitive behaviour?

Mr"

No. Lol.

Neutral comparison. American English and British English have a common ancestor. The different versions of British English also have a common ancestor. They all broke off at different times.

If you'd prefer, bird A and bird B have common ancestors. I wasn't disparaging either dialect.

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

"

So have Brits.

Language evolves. Agentinian Spanish is different to Spanish Spanish.

Are you Essex Tom in disguise?

By *ananas57Couple  over a year ago

lake ariel

Yes we have panties over here

Manchester (she/her)

So have Brits.

Language evolves. Agentinian Spanish is different to Spanish Spanish.

Are you Essex Tom in disguise?"

Bring back old English. Before all that pesky Viking and French influence.

It's fantastic (meaning around WW2- unbelievable, a fantasy) that our language has been so corrupted.

Fanny pack... I mean.. The differences could cause a few problems "

Is that why at clubs I get the stares?

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

Yea, verily

(I know I'm about 500 years out)

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

"It's a bit like chimps and humans. There has been independent evolution of English, as there has with primates, into related sub dialects.

Mr

No. Lol.

Neutral comparison. American English and British English have a common ancestor. The different versions of British English also have a common ancestor. They all broke off at different times.

If you'd prefer, bird A and bird B have common ancestors. I wasn't disparaging either dialect."

I didn't really think you were tbf though the description could perhaps be applied to some in their judicial system.

This effect is why I roll my eyes at the routine threads on here complaining about corruption of our language - and try hard not to feel that way myself. The fact we all use words in ways they never used to be used makes me feel quite gay (happy and carefree)

Mr

Manchester (she/her)

Mr

No. Lol.

If you'd prefer, bird A and bird B have common ancestors. I wasn't disparaging either dialect.

I didn't really think you were tbf though the description could perhaps be applied to some in their judicial system.

This effect is why I roll my eyes at the routine threads on here complaining about corruption of our language - and try hard not to feel that way myself. The fact we all use words in ways they never used to be used makes me feel quite gay (happy and carefree)

Mr"

Yes. I could have picked a better example.

I understand why people feel put out by it, but it's just how it is, really.

(The dialect, not the howler monkey court, its enablers, or its beneficiaries)

"Yes we have panties over here "

By *eroLondonMan  over a year ago

Mayfair

I believe the same discrepancies exist between ASL - American Sign Language and BSL - British Sign Language.

I use Makaton sign language and, thankfully, the variations are minimal.

» Add a new message to this topic