FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Is the truth enough? Or do we need myths, fantasy, and fairytales to have contentment in life?

Is the truth enough? Or do we need myths, fantasy, and fairytales to have contentment in life?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

A bit of a read, but hey, what else are you doing, and I'd really like your thoughts on this.

Son of God, born on the 25th December, mother still a virgin, baptized in a river,had 12 disciples, a miraculous healer who helped the blind see, raised a man from the dead, was crucified, 3 days later was discovered by two women to have risen from the dead. Lets not forget he also walk on water!

We all know the story, but who am I talking about?........here's a hint, it's definitely not Jesus Christ.

This is the story of Horus and was recorded in ancient Egypt well over 1200 years before Jesus is alleged to have even been born.......that is documented fact.

Christianity is based on the story of the life of Jesus of Nazareth, but this simply is not his story!

I have friends who are very well educated, intelligent, reasoning people who know this and yet feel the need for their own life contentment to be practicing Christians.

Someone I was recently seeing asked me out of the blue if I'd ever consider getting married again. I replied it was unlikely I would meet a women who didn't use the 'fairytales syndrome' as a barometer of her future happiness. I explained that to live happily ever after in a monogomous completely mentally and sexually fulfilling relationship required too much of a leap of faith for me. Any women coming into my life would need to know that the likelihood is one day I'd get bored with her as she would with me, that we wouldn't be each others last sexual conquests.....etc etc etc you get my drift. She was very surprised at what she felt was a slightly negative outlook. She said she needed to believe there was more to it than the harsh reality of day to day life.

I explained to her I love the reality of reasoned day to day life based on my experiences, and that it was enough for me to maximise and value the moment, the here and now and that if I was able to maintain that going into the future with somebody, then the truth would always be enough for me.

She called me this morning to tell me that I had changed the way she now chose to look at certain aspects of her life.....I can't help but wonder whether trying to reign in myths, fantasy and fairytales will eventually help her to be more or less contented in life. Will she be sadder without the belief of an 'ever after'. After all Christians believe their lives would be empty without the story of Christianity, they need a 'heaven' at the end of it all.

What do you think?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

This is complex. Humans have always woven stories about pasts and futures. The religious report being happier than those without religion (World Happiness Report, April 2012). The happiest of all appear to be Buddhists.

Personally, I would like to think that I could love someone and they could love me for the rest of our lives. The key to achieving that would be to be honest, compromise when it is right, maintain self-respect and to respect the other person. There are people in my life I never get bored of. I seek fidelity but not necessarily monogamy as sexual contentment is important for both parties.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

Please don't tell me Harry Potter wasn't real too?......

"Please don't tell me Harry Potter wasn't real too?......"

He must be, I saw the Weasley twins in Waitrose once.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

if I enjoy and celebrate who I am until my last breath, what will be will be in the thereafter, I don't consider it much and it most certainly doesn't influence my dreams and aspirations yesterday, today or tomorrow.

I enjoy doing this alone.

The fairytale of living happily ever after, is something I will endeavour to do

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

As far as I know Horus was killed by a scorpion sting, can you point me in the direction of your information please?

"if I enjoy and celebrate who I am until my last breath, what will be will be in the thereafter, I don't consider it much and it most certainly doesn't influence my dreams and aspirations yesterday, today or tomorrow.

The fairytale of living happily ever after, is something I will endeavour to do"

Of course, most of the fairytales end at "and they all lived happily ever after" because none can say what that truly is. The Bible does not set out our happily ever after either.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I think it’s a tad self-gratuitous to unnecessarily dismiss harmless beliefs that give other people comfort.

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"if I enjoy and celebrate who I am until my last breath, what will be will be in the thereafter, I don't consider it much and it most certainly doesn't influence my dreams and aspirations yesterday, today or tomorrow.

The fairytale of living happily ever after, is something I will endeavour to do

Of course, most of the fairytales end at "and they all lived happily ever after" because none can say what that truly is. The Bible does not set out our happily ever after either."

whether you or don't is not fully in your control, life deals the deck

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

Mithra/Mithras from Zoroastrian religion is very similar, following copied from freethoughpedia.com

Mithra was born on December 25th as an offspring of the Sun. Next to the gods Ormuzd and Ahrimanes, Mithra held the highest rank among the gods of ancient Persia. He was represented as a beautiful youth and a Mediator. Reverend J. W. Lake states: "Mithras is spiritual light contending with spiritual darkness, and through his labors the kingdom of darkness shall be lit with heaven's own light; the Eternal will receive all things back into his favor, the world will be redeemed to God. The impure are to be purified, and the evil made good, through the mediation of Mithras, the reconciler of Ormuzd and Ahriman. Mithras is the Good, his name is Love. In relation to the Eternal he is the source of grace, in relation to man he is the life-giver and mediator" (Plato, Philo, and Paul, p. 15).

He was considered a great traveling teacher and master. He had twelve companions as Jesus had twelve disciples. Mithras also performed miracles.The International Encyclopedia states: "Mithras seems to have owed his prominence to the belief that he was the source of life, and could also redeem the souls of the dead into the better world ... The ceremonies included a sort of baptism to remove sins, anointing, and a sacred meal of bread and water, while a consecrated wine, believed to possess wonderful power, played a prominent part."

Chambers Encyclopedia says: "The most important of his many festivals was his birthday, celebrated on the 25th of December, the day subsequently fixed -- against all evidence -- as the birthday of Christ. The worship of Mithras early found its way into Rome, and the mysteries of Mithras, which fell in the spring equinox, were famous even among the many Roman festivals. The ceremonies observed in the initiation to these mysteries -- symbolical of the struggle between Ahriman and Ormuzd (the Good and the Evil) -- were of the most extraordinary and to a certain degree even dangerous character. Baptism and the partaking of a mystical liquid, consisting of flour and water, to be d*unk with the utterance of sacred formulas, were among the inauguration acts."

Mithra was called "the good shepherd,” "the way, the truth and the light,” “redeemer,” “savior,” “Messiah." He was identified with both the lion and the lamb.Prof. Franz Cumont, of the University of Ghent, writes as follows concerning the religion of Mithra and the religion of Christ: "The sectaries of the Persian god, like the Christians', purified themselves by baptism, received by a species of confirmation the power necessary to combat the spirit of evil; and expected from a Lord's supper salvation of body and soul. Like the latter, they also held Sunday sacred, and celebrated the birth of the Sun on the 25th of December.... They both preached a categorical system of ethics, regarded asceticism as meritorious and counted among their principal virtues abstinence and continence, renunciation and self-control. Their conceptions of the world and of the destiny of man were similar. They both admitted the existence of a Heaven inhabited by beatified ones, situated in the upper regions, and of a Hell, peopled by demons, situated in the bowels of the earth. They both placed a flood at the beginning of history; they both assigned as the source of their condition, a primitive revelation; they both, finally, believed in the immortality of the soul, in a last judgment, and in a resurrection of the dead, consequent upon a final conflagration of the universe" (The Mysteries of Mithras, pp. 190, 191).

Reverend Charles Biggs stated: "The disciples of Mithra formed an organized church, with a developed hierarchy. They possessed the ideas of Mediation, Atonement, and a Savior, who is human and yet divine, and not only the idea, but a doctrine of the future life. They had a Eucharist, and a Baptism, and other curious analogies might be pointed out between their system and the church of Christ (The Christian Platonists, p. 240).

In the catacombs at Rome was preserved a relic of the old Mithraic worship. It was a picture of the infant Mithra seated in the lap of his virgin mother, while on their knees before him were Persian Magi adoring him and offering gifts.

He was buried in a tomb and after three days he rose again. His resurrection was celebrated every year.McClintock and Strong wrote: "In modern times Christian writers have been induced to look favorably upon the assertion that some of our ecclesiastical usages (e.g., the institution of the Christmas festival) originated in the cultus of Mithraism. Some writers who refuse to accept the Christian religion as of supernatural origin, have even gone so far as to institute a close comparison with the founder of Christianity; and Dupuis and others, going even beyond this, have not hesitated to pronounce the Gospel simply a branch of Mithraism" (Art. "Mithra").

Mithra had his principal festival on what was later to become Easter, at which time he was resurrected. His sacred day was Sunday, "the Lord's Day." The Mithra religion had a Eucharist or "Lord's Supper."

The Christian Father Manes, founder of the heretical sect known as Manicheans, believed that Christ and Mithra were one. His teaching, according to Mosheim, was as follows: "Christ is that glorious intelligence which the Persians called Mithras ... His residence is in the sun" (Ecclesiastical History, 3rd century, Part 2, ch. 5).

"I am a star which goes with thee and shines out of the depths." - Mithraic saying

"I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright morning star." - Jesus, (Rev. 22:16)

The temple of Mithras on Hadrians Wall feels spiritual to me, as do many churches, temples and holy places from many religions yet I'm not a religious person per se - maybe other peoples worship rubs off on me, I respect everyone's choice to worship or not whichever Deity they believe in, I just wish so many wars weren't started because "my God is better than your God"

The story of Horus/Mithras/Jesus and probably a few other deities can be taken as "the word of God" or as myth and fantasy - similar is the fact that many different religions all have flood stories in them

With regards to living happily ever after - I'm doing that as a single - I'm with you Blackspice regarding monogamy - I know I don't do it so I've accepted that as a simple fact of my life, it's taken a while, but this is me, warts and all (obviously that's a turn of phrase, I'm not saying I've got warts, honest)

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

good grief Caz, took me ages to read Blackspices

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

"good grief Caz, took me ages to read Blackspices

"

Sorry View, I must have my sensible head on today - just nip to the bottom for my jokey bit

By *awkeye and HotlipsCouple  over a year ago

Takeley

I think we had a meet with them!! Messy so and so's

I think having 'faith' in a higher being and/or an afterlife can help people deal better with life. I think pretty much everybody has times in their life when they don't feel they can cope, when their own life seems out of their control. At these times believing there is somebody 'up there' and that there is some overall plan and that they are not 'alone', can be a genuine comfort.

Likewise when a loved one dies believing that there is something after death can be a comfort. For some people the idea that once someone dies they no longer exist (apart from as memories in the minds of people still alive) is almost unacceptable and can lead them to becoming depressed and possibly scared of dying.

On other hand I think a lot of religious people make sacrifices, put themselves and their families through extra hardships, maybe even suffering in order to please a god that might well not exist. If it turns out that their belief was inaccurate then all that effort etc. was for nothing. So from that point of _iew a belief can be harmful in my opinion.

Also, the similarities between the 'legend' of Jesus and other 'Legends' could (at least partly) be explained by the fact that when the Romans adopted Christianity they altered quite a lot of it in order to make it more palatable to the Roman Citizen and more 'useful' to the Roman Emperor and other rulers and aristocracy. For example Jesus obviously wasn't actually born on 25th December but the Romans chose to celebrate his birth on that date because it was already an important date in the Roman Religious Calendar.

"This is complex. Humans have always woven stories about pasts and futures. The religious report being happier than those without religion (World Happiness Report, April 2012). The happiest of all appear to be Buddhists.

Personally, I would like to think that I could love someone and they could love me for the rest of our lives. The key to achieving that would be to be honest, compromise when it is right, maintain self-respect and to respect the other person. There are people in my life I never get bored of. I seek fidelity but not necessarily monogamy as sexual contentment is important for both parties."

Good post. I couldn't agree more with you when it comes to honesty, compromise and mutual respect.

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

"A bit of a read, but hey, what else are you doing, and I'd really like your thoughts on this.

Son of God, born on the 25th December, mother still a virgin, baptized in a river,had 12 disciples, a miraculous healer who helped the blind see, raised a man from the dead, was crucified, 3 days later was discovered by two women to have risen from the dead. Lets not forget he also walk on water!

We all know the story, but who am I talking about?........here's a hint, it's definitely not Jesus Christ.

This is the story of Horus and was recorded in ancient Egypt well over 1200 years before Jesus is alleged to have even been born.......that is documented fact.

Christianity is based on the story of the life of Jesus of Nazareth, but this simply is not his story!

I have friends who are very well educated, intelligent, reasoning people who know this and yet feel the need for their own life contentment to be practicing Christians.

Someone I was recently seeing asked me out of the blue if I'd ever consider getting married again. I replied it was unlikely I would meet a women who didn't use the 'fairytales syndrome' as a barometer of her future happiness. I explained that to live happily ever after in a monogomous completely mentally and sexually fulfilling relationship required too much of a leap of faith for me. Any women coming into my life would need to know that the likelihood is one day I'd get bored with her as she would with me, that we wouldn't be each others last sexual conquests.....etc etc etc you get my drift. She was very surprised at what she felt was a slightly negative outlook. She said she needed to believe there was more to it than the harsh reality of day to day life.

I explained to her I love the reality of reasoned day to day life based on my experiences, and that it was enough for me to maximise and value the moment, the here and now and that if I was able to maintain that going into the future with somebody, then the truth would always be enough for me.

She called me this morning to tell me that I had changed the way she now chose to look at certain aspects of her life.....I can't help but wonder whether trying to reign in myths, fantasy and fairytales will eventually help her to be more or less contented in life. Will she be sadder without the belief of an 'ever after'. After all Christians believe their lives would be empty without the story of Christianity, they need a 'heaven' at the end of it all.

What do you think? "

I think shes trying to entertain your needs - to come into your life, more than you're williing to give

* psych couch open for a small fee

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

Crutches are good.

They help you get from A to B.

If I think another person's crutch is a bit ghey because it's pink and has tassles on it, it doesn't make it any less effective as a crutch.

All that happened was I laughed at it a bit.

The fairytale of living happily ever after, is something I will endeavour to do"

Thank you View, it sounds like you are taking responsibility for your own happiness driven from within, without the need for an external.........whatever.

I have no problem with what another human being chooses to believe in. However I have a problem when another human being believes that their belief should be my belief.

I have no problem with any religion. I only have a problem with what humans do in the name of their chosen religion; the belief that their religion requires the sacrificing of human lives in its name, the remonstration/lamentation of its subjects, or a metric-fuckton of cash.

--

In the words of the great Dave Allen.

"Goodnight, and may your God go with you"

"As far as I know Horus was killed by a scorpion sting, can you point me in the direction of your information please?"

E. Wallis Budge translated that Horus died from a scorpion sting, other sources claim he was crucified. I personally don't believe either story, the point is his story is the forerunner to a number of myths.

"

Of course, most of the fairytales end at "and they all lived happily ever after" because none can say what that truly is. The Bible does not set out our happily ever after either."

The Kingdom of God, Heaven?

"As far as I know Horus was killed by a scorpion sting, can you point me in the direction of your information please?

E. Wallis Budge translated that Horus died from a scorpion sting, other sources claim he was crucified. I personally don't believe either story, the point is his story is the forerunner to a number of myths. "

OMG. Someone quoting E.Wallis Budge in a Fab Forum. I never thought Id see the day.

Next up, a round table discussion on the integration of the Worship of Isis into Catholicism!!

"I think it’s a tad self-gratuitous to unnecessarily dismiss harmless beliefs that give other people comfort. "

That is a fair comment and I guess is what is behind my question. Can people find real comfort and genuine contentment without having at least some 'beliefs'?

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

"As far as I know Horus was killed by a scorpion sting, can you point me in the direction of your information please?

E. Wallis Budge translated that Horus died from a scorpion sting, other sources claim he was crucified. I personally don't believe either story, the point is his story is the forerunner to a number of myths.

OMG. Someone quoting E.Wallis Budge in a Fab Forum. I never thought Id see the day.

Next up, a round table discussion on the integration of the Worship of Isis into Catholicism!!

"

Ah now there is a discussion

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"I think it’s a tad self-gratuitous to unnecessarily dismiss harmless beliefs that give other people comfort. "

Harmless? If only that were so.

".....

The story of Horus/Mithras/Jesus and probably a few other deities can be taken as "the word of God" or as myth and fantasy - similar is the fact that many different religions all have flood stories in them

With regards to living happily ever after - I'm doing that as a single - I'm with you Blackspice regarding monogamy - I know I don't do it so I've accepted that as a simple fact of my life, it's taken a while, but this is me, warts and all (obviously that's a turn of phrase, I'm not saying I've got warts, honest) "

Thank you for your Mithra contribution Caz.

I also agree with you that I've had to accept certain things about myself as a simple fact of my life. The more I accept the happier I am.

"I think having 'faith' in a higher being and/or an afterlife can help people deal better with life. I think pretty much everybody has times in their life when they don't feel they can cope, when their own life seems out of their control. At these times believing there is somebody 'up there' and that there is some overall plan and that they are not 'alone', can be a genuine comfort.

Likewise when a loved one dies believing that there is something after death can be a comfort. For some people the idea that once someone dies they no longer exist (apart from as memories in the minds of people still alive) is almost unacceptable and can lead them to becoming depressed and possibly scared of dying.

On other hand I think a lot of religious people make sacrifices, put themselves and their families through extra hardships, maybe even suffering in order to please a god that might well not exist. If it turns out that their belief was inaccurate then all that effort etc. was for nothing. So from that point of _iew a belief can be harmful in my opinion."

Thank you, good post.

I would point out that the religious poll as being happier with life than the non religious.

"

Of course, most of the fairytales end at "and they all lived happily ever after" because none can say what that truly is. The Bible does not set out our happily ever after either.

The Kingdom of God, Heaven?"

Heaven and the Kingdom of God are not described. We have invented the fluffy cloud images, actual gates that are pearly and depending what you choose to believe either you connect up with those that you were with in the Earth life (that might be Hell, if I end up with some people for eternity), your pets might be there and you might get virgins and raisins.

I have heard everything from the babies I have lost waiting for me to mother them (that's way too many for it to be a peaceful experience) through to the 'babies' women have aborted waiting to take them to task.

If you're a Jehovah you only get there if you are male and part of the number. The rest must get their Heaven on Earth. That doesn't sound such a good happily ever after.

I like churches. I grew up CofE and wanted to be a nun at one point in my life. I enjoy singing hymns. The central tenets of most religions, the Golden Rules, are ones that I can sign up to. I enjoy singing hymns. I believe there is a something, I don't know what. I accept I may be wrong. I think if I were to practice a faith it's somewhere between Quakerism and Buddhism. But, I like singing hymns, did I mention that? Singing hymns is not a good enough reason for me to go and take Communion on a regular basis.

WOW deep thread, I'll add that I think the belief in an afterlife is just based on a fear that we all have of death , we don't want it to end and the afterlife is just a way to prolong the inevitable . Personally I do believe Jesus exsisted but a story about a carpenter is boring , was he the son of a god ? Step back and remember these guys thought the earth was flat . Unless someone invents a time machine we'll never know .

We all live in a fantasy world its called TV ......we watch it all the time !

"Crutches are good.

They help you get from A to B.

If I think another person's crutch is a bit ghey because it's pink and has tassles on it, it doesn't make it any less effective as a crutch.

All that happened was I laughed at it a bit."

Very good. You're right, you can't say somebodys crutches don't work for them, but you can say that they wouldn't work for you.

At the point of death we lose four grams in weight instantly...could this be the soul leaving the body.

"WOW deep thread, I'll add that I think the belief in an afterlife is just based on a fear that we all have of death , we don't want it to end and the afterlife is just a way to prolong the inevitable . Personally I do believe Jesus exsisted but a story about a carpenter is boring , was he the son of a god ? Step back and remember these guys thought the earth was flat . Unless someone invents a time machine we'll never know .

We all live in a fantasy world its called TV ......we watch it all the time ! "

Without disagreeing with the meaning of your post I would point out that the concept of the earth being 'a ball hanging in nothing' is mentioned in the Old Testament so by the time Jesus was supposed to have lived not everybody believed the earth was flat

"At the point of death we lose four grams in weight instantly...could this be the soul leaving the body."

All sorts of liquids escape when a body dies.

"At the point of death we lose four grams in weight instantly...could this be the soul leaving the body.

All sorts of liquids escape when a body dies."

Before all that

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

I don't need myths and fantasies (other than the sexual kind). Reality is freaky enough!

"At the point of death we lose four grams in weight instantly...could this be the soul leaving the body.

All sorts of liquids escape when a body dies. Before all that"

I was present at the deaths of both my parents. I can honestly say that I felt no 'stirring' or whatever at the time. I never felt that they were floating around, or anything. No cold chills, or intuitive feelings of any kind. Just the shell of what they once were.

The only thing I can honestly say was absent was life - not a soul. Don't believe in it. Too much of a rationalist.

And where exactly is the evidence that we do, indeed, lose 4 grams of weight INSTANTLY? My father was dead some time before he was taken to the mortuary. No one weighed him before them - no one weighs ANY dead body before it goes to the mortuary. Therefore, there can be no evidence of such an assertion whatsoever. I have been present at two deaths in hospitals - nothing at all was mentioned about weighing anything or any body.

And when people die at home - no weighing occurs. I can assure you there are other more pressing matters on people's minds at the time!

All sorts of liquids escape when a body dies. Before all that

I was present at the deaths of both my parents. I can honestly say that I felt no 'stirring' or whatever at the time. I never felt that they were floating around, or anything. No cold chills, or intuitive feelings of any kind. Just the shell of what they once were.

The only thing I can honestly say was absent was life - not a soul. Don't believe in it. Too much of a rationalist.

And where exactly is the evidence that we do, indeed, lose 4 grams of weight INSTANTLY? My father was dead some time before he was taken to the mortuary. No one weighed him before them - no one weighs ANY dead body before it goes to the mortuary. Therefore, there can be no evidence of such an assertion whatsoever. I have been present at two deaths in hospitals - nothing at all was mentioned about weighing anything or any body.

And when people die at home - no weighing occurs. I can assure you there are other more pressing matters on people's minds at the time!"

I'm not sure where i read about this..but bodys were weighed at the point of death as an experiment..i'm not the only one who has known about this as other posters had read or heard the same thing when the subject of the afterlife was mention on another thread.

By *nfieldishCouple  over a year ago

Enfield

I David ..... Renegade catholic....love this thread...

And when people die at home - no weighing occurs. I can assure you there are other more pressing matters on people's minds at the time! I'm not sure where i read about this..but bodys were weighed at the point of death as an experiment..i'm not the only one who has known about this as other posters had read or heard the same thing when the subject of the afterlife was mention on another thread."

Nope, sorry. Don't buy it. I reckon it's another urban myth. How the hell would you set up such an experiment? How would you know EXACTLY when someone was about to die? How would you get the permission of the relatives? Believe me when you are sat there waiting for someone to die the last thing you would be agreeing to is weighing them just after they die. I could barely stand to have the nurse remove my mother's rings and hearing aid afterwards. I would have flipped if they had started hoisting her up to weigh her!!!! No chance. Don't believe a word of it.

And, although we knew she was dying, her actual passing took us by surprise and her death had to be CONFIRMED! So there is STILL no way she could have been weighed INSTANTLY (the word you originally used). Same with my father. It took 20 minutes just to get a nurse there to determine he had died and then she had to get a doctor to confirm it.

I also cannot see anyone agreeing to be part of such a 'death' experiment - what would they do - get them in a lab and hover over them waiting for the exact point of death?

It is utterly unfeasable.

Hiya, I just found this on-line

Re: weight loss after death

It was Dr. Duncan MacDougall of Haverhill, Massachusetts who attempted to weigh the human soul. In 1907, he placed 6 dying patients on a homemade scale, which also acted as a bed for the patients. He then recorded their weights before and after death. According to Dr. MacDougall, there was a difference of 21 grams between the heavier, living patients and their dead bodies.

He also experimented on 15 dogs and found no loss of weight between the living dogs and their dead bodies. He believed this was because animals do not have souls.

His experiments were criticized since of the six patients, two tests had to be discarded and the level of error was very high. Obviously, it was not a very scientific study.

In addition, no one has ever been able to repeat the result of these experiments. Basically, there is still no physiological evidence of the soul. It's an urban legend propagated by a guy who did bad science - looking for an answer he already believed was true. Real science doesn't have attachments to pre-existing beliefs and values. It just observes and hypothesizes.

Just found a pdf which quotes an experiment done with sheep - they inexplicably GAINED weight after death.

And when people die at home - no weighing occurs. I can assure you there are other more pressing matters on people's minds at the time! I'm not sure where i read about this..but bodys were weighed at the point of death as an experiment..i'm not the only one who has known about this as other posters had read or heard the same thing when the subject of the afterlife was mention on another thread.

Nope, sorry. Don't buy it. I reckon it's another urban myth. How the hell would you set up such an experiment? How would you know EXACTLY when someone was about to die? How would you get the permission of the relatives? Believe me when you are sat there waiting for someone to die the last thing you would be agreeing to is weighing them just after they die. I could barely stand to have the nurse remove my mother's rings and hearing aid afterwards. I would have flipped if they had started hoisting her up to weigh her!!!! No chance. Don't believe a word of it.

And, although we knew she was dying, her actual passing took us by surprise and her death had to be CONFIRMED! So there is STILL no way she could have been weighed INSTANTLY (the word you originally used). Same with my father. It took 20 minutes just to get a nurse there to determine he had died and then she had to get a doctor to confirm it.

I also cannot see anyone agreeing to be part of such a 'death' experiment - what would they do - get them in a lab and hover over them waiting for the exact point of death?

It is utterly unfeasable."

Then don't believe it then..ffs...some believe it you don't..end of.

"WOW deep thread, I'll add that I think the belief in an afterlife is just based on a fear that we all have of death , we don't want it to end and the afterlife is just a way to prolong the inevitable . Personally I do believe Jesus exsisted but a story about a carpenter is boring , was he the son of a god ? Step back and remember these guys thought the earth was flat . Unless someone invents a time machine we'll never know .

We all live in a fantasy world its called TV ......we watch it all the time !

Without disagreeing with the meaning of your post I would point out that the concept of the earth being 'a ball hanging in nothing' is mentioned in the Old Testament so by the time Jesus was supposed to have lived not everybody believed the earth was flat "

Oh without doubt there were people who knew the earth was round and others who knew the earth revolved around the sun and not sun around the earth but for holding those beliefs they were burnt at the stake or worse, the bible was written a long time after Jesus lived. The Romans crucified Christians by the thousands for there beliefs so most of the stories in there were passed down over generations.

Ever played the shopping game, get a group of people make a shopping list then each person wispers the list to the next, by the end its totally changed.

Imagine how story's change over hundreds of years!

I see the bible as a work of fiction draw up by people who were scared of there own shadows !

"Just found a pdf which quotes an experiment done with sheep - they inexplicably GAINED weight after death."

That would be the mint sauce.

"Just found a pdf which quotes an experiment done with sheep - they inexplicably GAINED weight after death.

That would be the mint sauce. "

"Just found a pdf which quotes an experiment done with sheep - they inexplicably GAINED weight after death.

That would be the mint sauce. "

I didn't know you could get them pre-mint-sauced.

I thought with sheep it's the gas from the grass in their stomach.

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

I have never been one to chase the fairy tale - it implies you can’t be truly content without it.

I would sooner make the most of the now, whatever the now is. To chase a fairy tale in blind hope that it will make tomorrow better, is wasting what today offers.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"I have no problem with what another human being chooses to believe in. However I have a problem when another human being believes that their belief should be my belief.

I have no problem with any religion. I only have a problem with what humans do in the name of their chosen religion; the belief that their religion requires the sacrificing of human lives in its name, the remonstration/lamentation of its subjects, or a metric-fuckton of cash.

--

"

ditto..

firmly of the opinion that all 'holy books' were written to enforce power by men..

"I have no problem with what another human being chooses to believe in. However I have a problem when another human being believes that their belief should be my belief.

--

"

I know different people with different religions. The common denominator appears to be that every religion thinks it is 'the only one, and all others are wrong'.

I believe what I believe, and I'm happy with that. I'm happy for other people to believe what they believe.

I'm not happy if they try to force their beliefs on me. And that goes for any beliefs.

Not that long ago scientists said the world was flat.......

"A bit of a read, but hey, what else are you doing, and I'd really like your thoughts on this.

What do you think? "

As an analogy, everyone has had a car that was special to them.

Over the years we add a few mph of what the car would actually do, better mpg than what it did and the condition it was in, just to justify having run a slow gas guzzler.

Some people seem to add a little bit extra to their life and the experiences by rose tinted nostalgia to gloss over the not so nice, boring times.

Some people have had no life, so, they live through other peoples lives and experiences to fill the void of unfulfillment and disappointment.

Some people don't believe in themselves, so choose a deity or something similar to lean on, maybe through insecurity about themselves.

We all make choices about the things in our lives, but, sometimes the choice is made for us by chance and circumstance.

It's these choices that we all learn from, some accept the choices, some rebel or fight against them, some sit and ponder the choices, some jump with both feet into a situation.

It is how the individual perceives the experience that determins what and how we react to these changes and situations in life.

Some will say the path was chosen for them by a higher being, some will say they chose their path, no matter which you believe, it's how we walk the path and what we do on the journey that makes us who we are.

I have a simple philosophy.

Shit happens.

"I have a simple philosophy.

Shit happens."

Same here ..... once you're dead you're dead so live while you're alive.

Interesting subject and I shall respond later when I am home.

There's a compelling theory that Jesus was in fact a buddhist monk who was taken to kashmir at the age of 13 and returned to palestine 20 years later. He then returned to kashmir where he lived a full life.

you tube 'Jesus was a buddhist'

or as a wise man once said.....

The dictionary definition of God is “a supernatural creator and overseer of the universe.” Included in this definition are all deities, goddesses and supernatural beings. Since the beginning of recorded history, which is defined by the invention of writing by the Sumerians around 6,000 years ago, historians have cataloged over 3700 supernatural beings, of which 2870 can be considered deities.

So next time someone tells me they believe in God, I’ll say “Oh which one? Zeus? Hades? Jupiter? Mars? Odin? Thor? Krishna? Vishnu? Ra?…” If they say “Just God. I only believe in the one God,” I’ll point out that they are nearly as atheistic as me. I don’t believe in 2,870 gods, and they don’t believe in 2,869.

"or as a wise man once said.....

The dictionary definition of God is “a supernatural creator and overseer of the universe.” Included in this definition are all deities, goddesses and supernatural beings. Since the beginning of recorded history, which is defined by the invention of writing by the Sumerians around 6,000 years ago, historians have cataloged over 3700 supernatural beings, of which 2870 can be considered deities.

So next time someone tells me they believe in God, I’ll say “Oh which one? Zeus? Hades? Jupiter? Mars? Odin? Thor? Krishna? Vishnu? Ra?…” If they say “Just God. I only believe in the one God,” I’ll point out that they are nearly as atheistic as me. I don’t believe in 2,870 gods, and they don’t believe in 2,869."

I find a lot of self-professed 'atheists' believe in non-deity religions like evolution, democracy, karma. Yet see irony in it. Personally I can't say for sure there is no God, but never found a religion that stands up to scepticism without resorting to blind faith to explain some fundamental part of it.

If people can find the faith required to believe in something then I'm happy for them, regardless of what it is.... As long as their faith doesn't lead them into actions that affect others.

Unfortunately more often than not when a person believes in something it does lead to them either trying to convince everyone else that they too should believe in it, or else they act in the interest of their cause in such a way so as to negatively affect other people. Which I think is a shame.

*see NO irony in it.

Stoopid clumsy fingers on stoopid phone!

Contrary to an almost ferverish belief, Christmas Day is NOT a Christian festival. When Britain was conquered by the Romans they put in place a set of procedures that they had utilised many times before - rule by fear but also by integration. The Romans had their own Gods and their own times of the year to which their beliefs required observance, but they recognised that ancient Briton also had it's own equivalents. So they simply incorporated theirs into ours.

Jesus? I believe he existed but he was no more than someone who stood up to an invasive force and offered another way to live together. The religious people in charge at the time were also politicians who had a vested interest in working with the Romans - whether that was to maintain the status quo as much as possible, or to keep their grace and favour statuses within a Roman-occupied territory we'll never know - but they saw Jesus as a threat to that status, and he had to go, one way or another.

What do you think? "

just wondering if u like to come and tell my child father christmas isn't real to be honest i think u have a more than negative approach to life and i am divorced ffs ex is completely twat but while he is that it would be him (imo) who would win if i gave up on wanting to share my life with someone while i agree monogomony is not for everyone and defintely not for me as i happen to like girls i do not believe that people get bored with each other i have had people in my life for as long as i have been alive best mate we r born days apart and our dads were best mates. i think if i look at life like u i would want to hang myself so i will keep my rose coloured glasses and hope to god my kids believe for as long as possible in santa, toothfairy and any number of magical things

"I think it’s a tad self-gratuitous to unnecessarily dismiss harmless beliefs that give other people comfort.

That is a fair comment and I guess is what is behind my question. Can people find real comfort and genuine contentment without having at least some 'beliefs'?"

theres no way of knowing this as u can't measure two people as the same as they don't feel the same about things so imo a pointless question

Forum Mod

Im a fan of fairytales,myths,legends and fantasies,I love how they evolve over the years to fit in with present society

Im not just talking on a religious level because for me they're all stories that I can lose myself completely in because some are so entralling and enjoyable,Im a rational educated adult that is more than aware of the harsh realities of life and how short it can be for some people,I know what truth is,im content with my life and with myself but I still gotta love the fairytale and chase the fantasy

My 2p.

I do not believe in happy ever after, because I do not believe it is possible to have one person that ticks all the boxes.

Everyone has flaws, no one is perfect.

I may be able to put up with someone imperfections for a short while, and vice versa. However, over time, little niggles may manifest into something that could make and break a relationship.

I truly believe variety is a spice of life, and that a monogamous relationship with just one life partner no longer suits my needs.

As for religion, fairy tales etc., I believe there are some higher beings/forces/etc. at work.

I believe loved ones from the past keep an eye on me and the pets. From time to time they may remind me of their existence and manifest themselves as some form of energy.

I believe in having a sixth sense.

The above may be a load of utter tosh, however, that's me.

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

I like stories and fairy tales including Merlin and King Arthur as much as I like ancient Greek/ Roman mythology and I remember reading.. no devouring those books as a child. I still like them today!

I d, however, not need the belief/ reassurance of a life after death as I believe in being in the moment, the right here and now - and the concept of having to live an unblemished and decent life in order to escape the threat of hell after death is completely illogical and strange to me although I was brought up in a Christian tradition.

I do believe in trying to be a good humane person, leading by example where I can and above all not doing any harm. That is about it...

"I have never been one to chase the fairy tale - it implies you can’t be truly content without it.

I would sooner make the most of the now, whatever the now is. To chase a fairy tale in blind hope that it will make tomorrow better, is wasting what today offers.

"

Polo I could not agree with you more, I believe the 'now' is wonderful, and if it is not I do something about it now.

"...... just wondering if u like to come and tell my child father christmas isn't real to be honest i think u have a more than negative approach to life........ "

I love my life, life in my opinion is the single most amazing phenomenon in the Universe. It is truly incredible and blows my mind whenever I stop and think about the fact that I am unique, a one off. I am the perfection of being me. I value that thought so highly, high enough to have made a conscious decision to always try to be true to myself and to try to maximise my enjoyment of 'the moment' as well as enhance the moment in the lives of those around me. My life is already a wonderful thing, it doesn't need me to chase a fairytale to find happiness. I'm happy now.

That may start to give you a small insight in the approach I have to living my life, I don't think it's negative, it certainly doesn't feel it!

I had a thought today about religion and faith.... whether we really do need 'faith'. Those who dismiss creationism, god or gods … are many just demonstrating faith in another form? Is the belief in the science not based more on faith than knowledge and understanding for the vast majority of us?

I for one cannot explain how we made some of the huge jumps from being a single cell to what we are today, not without referring to ‘Prometheus’. I have faith that DNA is the code which tells the cells what to become to make us what we are… but I am not able to prove how it works or where it came from. Am I not just transferring my choice to believe and therefore my faith from one thing to another? I choose to believe the scientists without any way to independently prove and therefore ‘know’ it is the truth and just as some choose to believe one source of explanation as to why we are here and how we came to be, I choose to believe the science bods….. is that not faith?

Fox ache Polo, my head is bursting now!

I want to be an amoeba.

"I had a thought today about religion and faith.... whether we really do need 'faith'. Those who dismiss creationism, god or gods … are many just demonstrating faith in another form? Is the belief in the science not based more on faith than knowledge and understanding for the vast majority of us?

I for one cannot explain how we made some of the huge jumps from being a single cell to what we are today, not without referring to ‘Prometheus’. I have faith that DNA is the code which tells the cells what to become to make us what we are… but I am not able to prove how it works or where it came from. Am I not just transferring my choice to believe and therefore my faith from one thing to another? I choose to believe the scientists without any way to independently prove and therefore ‘know’ it is the truth and just as some choose to believe one source of explanation as to why we are here and how we came to be, I choose to believe the science bods….. is that not faith?

"

"Fox ache Polo, my head is bursting now!

I want to be an amoeba. "

Just put on your onesie.

" I choose to believe the scientists without any way to independently prove and therefore ‘know’ it is the truth and just as some choose to believe one source of explanation as to why we are here and how we came to be, I choose to believe the science bods….. is that not faith?

"

I agree with you. I think we all have faith, for want of a better word, in many things. It might be the science bods or it might be the belief that a new pair of shoes will restore us.

Some people need myths and stories to escape from the bastardised reality they live in. Without some hope of something better they would slip into depression with potentially devastating results.

By *kin BohnerMan  over a year ago

derby

[Removed by poster at 14/11/12 22:55:56]

By *kin BohnerMan  over a year ago

derby

"Is the truth enough? Or do we need myths, fantasy, and fairytales to have contentment in life?"

What is the truth?

Personally I think there is as much evidence for the existence of any god as there is for pixies. It amazes me how so called educated intellectual people have any truck with religion.

Don't get me wrong, please do feel free to worship your god and condemn me for being a heathen but allow me the same freedom to question your sanity. (not directed at anyone)

I am as content with my life as I can be, yes it could be better but belief in a god wont improve it.

"I had a thought today about religion and faith.... whether we really do need 'faith'. Those who dismiss creationism, god or gods … are many just demonstrating faith in another form? Is the belief in the science not based more on faith than knowledge and understanding for the vast majority of us?

"

I think it is a faith of sorts but it is faith based on proven demonstratable independently corroborated fact. If you chose to challenge the scientists they would be able to give you evidence based proof. We don't have to take a scientists word for anything or it would not be science.

That said I do also wonder whether we have an inate need to believe or have faith in something in order to feel fulfilled.

"Fox ache Polo, my head is bursting now!

I want to be an amoeba.

Just put on your onesie."

I believe I shall and go play with Spongebob.

Personally I prefer to live in the real world and and not a fantasy or a fairytale as neither brings contentment. I don't believe in marriage and the happy ever after rubbish; I know that is due to a poor example by my cheating mother who would have ended two marriages had she not needed someone to sponge off but I cannot help it. And growing up, I have been surrounded by so many going through divorce demanding everything even when they are not necessarily the 'victims', cheaters via various websites that that to me destroy the sanctity of marriage. I just think there is no such thing as ever lasting love; I know I haven't yet met 'the one' but then I find it difficult thanks to an abusive childhood, to trust anyone and allow someone to get too close to me which is why swinging suits me perfectly

i am single for a reason.

im a bloody difficult person to live with and i know it.

does true love exist? if you think youve found it does that mean youve stopped looking for better and settled with something better than nothing?

ive been a nice guy to the woman ive spent some of my life with in a relationship and always been fucked over because ive been to nice.

so after thinking about it for a while i just told myself that maybe im better of alone and just going to work.

have sex when you meet nice people and dont expect anything more than that.

that way i have no expections.

By *bbandflowCouple  over a year ago

South Devon

"

If you are applying faith informally, then of course it is!..I have little or no knowledge of brake mechanics, but have faith in their reliability when driving..general anaesthetics is another field of knowledge that has passed me by, but I have faith when the old needle goes in, and I drift off, that I will regain conciousness....same applies when I board a plane.

If you mean faith in a formal religious sense, then I would disagree. Religious faith does not require proof, it doesn't seek it. Unlike science where proof is at the heart of the scientific method. The model for evolution has compelling evidence that attempts to explain the natural world...until other scientists come along and disprove it, then it's the best explanation we have, that's all.

"Personally I prefer to live in the real world and and not a fantasy or a fairytale as neither brings contentment. I don't believe in marriage and the happy ever after rubbish; I know that is due to a poor example by my cheating mother who would have ended two marriages had she not needed someone to sponge off but I cannot help it. And growing up, I have been surrounded by so many going through divorce demanding everything even when they are not necessarily the 'victims', cheaters via various websites that that to me destroy the sanctity of marriage. I just think there is no such thing as ever lasting love; I know I haven't yet met 'the one' but then I find it difficult thanks to an abusive childhood, to trust anyone and allow someone to get too close to me which is why swinging suits me perfectly"

I do believe in marriage and I do believe it is possible to love your partner throughout your marriage (however long that marriage may last), I just don't believe it is or should be expected as a 'given'.

The 'happy ever after' isn't the self fulfilling prophecy some, in my opinion, see it as.

People change, some grow closer some further apart. I just believe that focussing on the here and now with genuine integrity to yourself and those around you will allow the future to take care of itself.

If your expectations of 'the now' are not being met by the reality of today, then at least you can do something about it now.

all classical myth and religion, ancient history and worship has been intermingled and interwoven since the days of Alexander the Great. Deities and gods were appropriated and modified to smoothly reinforce the Macedonian political ideologly. This cross cultural union of beliefs was then taken as a model by the Greeks, Romans and ultimately led to the Holy Roman Empire 'inventing' Christiaity from its stock

A fantastic thread !

If I understand the gist of the original post the op was saying he wouldn't re marry as he didn't feel a relationship based on monogamy would work . And that religion and organised belief was the root if many problems we have .

Well we got married in august and enjoyed swinging for 18 months before we married and will continue to enjoy many sexual partners now we are .

Does this make us atheists ?

No - we just don't adhere to many of the fairy tales developed over the generations .

Life us for living and just in case this is the only one we get , we believe that we are entitled to enjoy it as we see fit without the influence of any outside religion or belief .

That doesn't mean we don't believe in the afterlife - I personally do believe in karma and reincarnation and just hope that next time round will be as good as this life

Thanks all for your contribution to the thread. It almost goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway, I hope you all find contentment whichever path you choose to get to it.

» Add a new message to this topic