FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Employers are helping out staff to cover living costs.

Employers are helping out staff to cover living costs.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hagTonight OP   Man  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

I read an article about it of how 5 employers are doing that by offering bonuses to cover living costs, to help their staff during the crisis, which has seen annual grocery bills jump by £380 this year, as food price inflation hits a fresh 13 year high, what do you think of how they are helping out? I think that it is a good idea

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *eneralKenobiMan  over a year ago

North Angus

I think more companies should take steps to help out. Like mine

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

Mine just offered loans that you pay directly from your wages before tax so you save a small amount in tax

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan  over a year ago

Aylesbury

"Mine just offered loans that you pay directly from your wages before tax so you save a small amount in tax "

That's alright. Better than the government energy loan at any rate

By *iscean_dreamMan  over a year ago

Llanelli

"Mine just offered loans that you pay directly from your wages before tax so you save a small amount in tax "

I'll have all my wages in advance please

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

"Mine just offered loans that you pay directly from your wages before tax so you save a small amount in tax

That's alright. Better than the government energy loan at any rate"

That is true but also a bit like saying sandpaper for loo roll is better than offering none at all

Here is the article that I read:

https://news.upday.com/uk/5-employers-helping-out-staff-by-offering-bonuses-to-cover-living-costs/

By *eamworkboyMan  over a year ago

Irvine

Have I heard right that the unions have rejected the Rolls Royce offer of 2k per employee stating its not enough ???

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I like the idea of employers paying their staff more money but I'm uncomfortable with the notion that they're doing them a favour. Assuming that most of us go to work in order to live our lives, it stands to reason that employers should pay a wage that enables that. Our costs go up it follows that theirs will too including wages. I don't think a dynamic of workers being grateful to be paid enough to live on should be established

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Have I heard right that the unions have rejected the Rolls Royce offer of 2k per employee stating its not enough ??? "

I don't know but considering that the average energy bill is going to rise enormously I'd say it isn't enough too.

By *m3232Man  over a year ago

maidenhead

I would say work harder or smarter or work for yourself.

Don’t expect your boss to help out remember he may not be making lots of money or even to the point he took the risk and he should take the reward.

By *RANDMRSJAECouple  over a year ago

chester

Nice surprise! My employers are paying all staff (including high grades) £1000 each

As much as I moan about them, this is a phenomenal gesture

By *etcplCouple  over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

"I would say work harder or smarter or work for yourself.

Don’t expect your boss to help out remember he may not be making lots of money or even to the point he took the risk and he should take the reward. "

Depending on the skill set, being self employed may not be that feasible for most.

Also their costs will rise meaning people may stop using them.

By *lynJMan  over a year ago

Morden

"Have I heard right that the unions have rejected the Rolls Royce offer of 2k per employee stating its not enough ???

I don't know but considering that the average energy bill is going to rise enormously I'd say it isn't enough too."

It was in addition to a pay rise too.

By *m3232Man  over a year ago

maidenhead

Don’t expect your boss to help out remember he may not be making lots of money or even to the point he took the risk and he should take the reward.

Depending on the skill set, being self employed may not be that feasible for most.

Also their costs will rise meaning people may stop using them."

Remember the boss would be self employed. It’s a mentality towards working for someone and someone working for you.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Also employers are going to realise that people will start looking for higher paid jobs.

There's not one easy answer to this and everyone, employers included is going to have to pay more for goods, services and assets.

By *eneralKenobiMan  over a year ago

North Angus

Don’t expect your boss to help out remember he may not be making lots of money or even to the point he took the risk and he should take the reward. "

My GM is worth 59mil on Scotlands rich list, I’m sure he could spare an extra quid an hour

By * and R cple4Couple  over a year ago

swansea

Maybe it’s just me but I find the smaller companies a lot more generous towards their staff then the big companies..

By *arkus1812Man  over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

"Also employers are going to realise that people will start looking for higher paid jobs.

There's not one easy answer to this and everyone, employers included is going to have to pay more for goods, services and assets. "

Where does it end though?

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I like the idea of employers paying their staff more money but I'm uncomfortable with the notion that they're doing them a favour. Assuming that most of us go to work in order to live our lives, it stands to reason that employers should pay a wage that enables that. Our costs go up it follows that theirs will too including wages. I don't think a dynamic of workers being grateful to be paid enough to live on should be established "

Agreed

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Also employers are going to realise that people will start looking for higher paid jobs.

There's not one easy answer to this and everyone, employers included is going to have to pay more for goods, services and assets.

Where does it end though?"

Exactly the conversation I had with my dad last night. I don't know where it ends, I suppose when the boom/bust cycle ends.

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

"Have I heard right that the unions have rejected the Rolls Royce offer of 2k per employee stating its not enough ??? "

Not enough? That 2k was on top of a pay rise in line with inflation

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

There's not one easy answer to this and everyone, employers included is going to have to pay more for goods, services and assets. "

I think the people most effected by this cost of living crusts, who happen to also be the higher population of workers, are all people who can’t do that.

Construction, retail, hospitality, nurses, teachers, many more I can’t think of

If the ability to just move to a higher paid job exists, many would have already done it.

These people will suffer the most and because that have no where to go employers don’t need to do anything. And retraining during a huge recession isn’t exactly possible either

It’s gonna get rough

By *andonmessMan  over a year ago

A world all of his own

The thing that concerns me is, is this a crisis or simply a sign of what's to come? If it's the latter, then whilst a bonus is a wonderful gesture, is it sustainable?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I think the people most effected by this cost of living crusts, who happen to also be the higher population of workers, are all people who can’t do that.

Construction, retail, hospitality, nurses, teachers, many more I can’t think of

If the ability to just move to a higher paid job exists, many would have already done it.

These people will suffer the most and because that have no where to go employers don’t need to do anything. And retraining during a huge recession isn’t exactly possible either

It’s gonna get rough "

What you say is true and yeah, it is going to get rough

"I think more companies should take steps to help out. Like mine "
Yes. I think so too, they should do that

By *ellinever70Woman  over a year ago

Ayrshire

"Have I heard right that the unions have rejected the Rolls Royce offer of 2k per employee stating its not enough ???

Not enough? That 2k was on top of a pay rise in line with inflation

"

Wasn't the pay rise 4%?

Which essentially isn't a rise at all

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I employ 6 lads they range from labrours to digger drivers, i pay them all a decent wage, and none of them are struggling other than the 19 year old who lives with his mum and spends £100 on a saturday night but thats a diffrent story, we have all talked about bills going up but none are hard up they work very hard for me do alot of over time and i pay them well to keep there loyalty, they all go on decent holidays and have nice things, the moral of the story is work hard then work abit harder and dont expect to do a 39 hour week then moan you have no money.... Work hard.

By *rAitchMan  over a year ago

Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe

The company I work for gave every member of staff 3% in addition to the annual pay rise. That meant we all got just under 10%.

» Add a new message to this topic