People can't survive paying almost £2 a litre

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan  over a year ago

Aylesbury

When the petroleum companies are nationalised

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

They won’t because nothing bad has happened. Which means people are affording it

As Fred Douglas said - “power concedes nothing without demand”

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Something has to change. People have no choice but to pay these ridiculous prices

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan  over a year ago

Aylesbury

"Something has to change. People have no choice but to pay these ridiculous prices "

Welcome to capitalism

By *ssex_tomMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Something has to change. People have no choice but to pay these ridiculous prices

Welcome to capitalism "

Well Doctor,

If your guillotine was erected on execution hill then who which groups would be first to stain fine steel ..

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Someone very wise once said this, the Financial system is like a snake thats eating its own tail, its not very nutritious?

Sure, Capitalism can be seen as bad, Capitalism is based on permanent growth and expansion in a finite world.

Unfortunately a lot of people's Pensions are invested in Oil Stocks ect.

Unless you change the way money works, you change nothing. I don't really like Capitalism much either but I don't want Venezuela.

Complex issues.

"Something has to change. People have no choice but to pay these ridiculous prices

Welcome to capitalism "

i agree i think id make a wonderful emperor

By *nliveneTV/TS  over a year ago

Selby

"When the petroleum companies are nationalised "

Completely agree with your statement , unfortunately that will only happen in a few years time , when the majority of the population have swaped to electric cars as petrol companies will no longer be beneficial to capitalism pockets. Energy companies such petrol , electricity, gas, all should have never left from the hands of government to private sector , same as water and public transport sector . I never understood why a company that was owned by government ends up in private hands as the excuse always have been, they were too expensive to keep/ mantain!

Well, not that no one know right? We all know at this moment 50% of the cost of our energy bills (petrol, electricity , gas and also water) goes to the government pockets, nationalising these companies wouldn't be beneficial to some people pockets in the government

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

Biden is set to announce US tax will be suspended on fuel (18.5%) this evening. The announcement has apparently dropped the price of oil by 5%, he's meeting with 7 oil producers tomorrow, likely asking them to produce more

The AA/RAC announced the cost of oil has dropped but is not reflected at the forecourts so the big 4 are now under pressure to pass reductions on.

A large industrial centre of China was in lockdown for over 7 weeks, coupled with reduced or cancelled flights you'd think there'd be an oil surplus.

I can't remember if it were gas or oil but European reserves are now at 90% full so it's not like they have much more to top up if Russia cuts them off which is supposed to be their next move.

By *illybeachboyMan  over a year ago

Guernsey

I'm using public transport for work as opposed to my car, I'm also walking in when I can too.

I now only fill up every 4 weeks as opposed to fortnightly.

"When the petroleum companies are nationalised "

By which nation? Surely not us….

By *hilloutMan  over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

Prices are not going to drop and may well become a lot worse.

I don't think £1.50 per litre will be seen again unless the self defeating sanctions regime is repealed.

Most people are unaware of how a crossing the rubicon moment has occurred with things forever changed.

Oil prices are high but have been higher in as far back as 2008 and consistently in 2010 and 2011, fuel prices never got near to what they are now. Is it just greed from reatilers?

I am off to Venezuela for 3 cents a litre.

"Oil prices are high but have been higher in as far back as 2008 and consistently in 2010 and 2011, fuel prices never got near to what they are now. Is it just greed from reatilers?

I am off to Venezuela for 3 cents a litre. "

There's more to it than the price of oil from the ground. Add to that the transport costs, which are up. Add to that the more limited supply meaning prices go up as people who previously bought from Russia buy elsewhere (standard supply and demand). Add to that the shitty $1.20 to a £1 currency rates (used to be $1.50+). Add to that 14 years of inflation and fuel duty escalator taxation. Oh yeah, and absolutely some greed and taking advantage by the production supply chain and the retail side too.

LPG from my local station has been 66.9p all year though

A lot of the price rises are due speculators buying up futures. World oil prices rose from $50 a barrel in early 2007 to $140 a barrel in the summer of 2008.

There was oil tankers moored off the coasts unable to move it due to the faltering economy (Then the crash came).

Americn Truck drivers said if the price had went to €150 a barrel they wouldn't have been able to move goods and services around.

Greed will sink the good ship lollipop

"Oil prices are high but have been higher in as far back as 2008 and consistently in 2010 and 2011, fuel prices never got near to what they are now. Is it just greed from reatilers?

I am off to Venezuela for 3 cents a litre.

There's more to it than the price of oil from the ground. Add to that the transport costs, which are up. Add to that the more limited supply meaning prices go up as people who previously bought from Russia buy elsewhere (standard supply and demand). Add to that the shitty $1.20 to a £1 currency rates (used to be $1.50+). Add to that 14 years of inflation and fuel duty escalator taxation. Oh yeah, and absolutely some greed and taking advantage by the production supply chain and the retail side too.

LPG from my local station has been 66.9p all year though "

Thank you.

By *rhugesMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

Did you know we not only pay vat on fuel plus fuel tax plus a green tax.

The government could reduce their portion , retailers make about 3p a litre

By *rhugesMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

And as the prices go up so does the amount the government gets from these taxes

£50 for half a tank. felt like I'd been fucked up the arse with no lube

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

"Did you know we not only pay vat on fuel plus fuel tax plus a green tax.

The government could reduce their portion , retailers make about 3p a litre"

Really? This is astonishing news. How has this not come to public attention before?

"And as the prices go up so does the amount the government gets from these taxes"

Don't forget the 20% corporation tax on the innocent oil company's profits.

Boo, government.

I paid £193.7 today.

If we all used less fuel, then the price should come down.

The nation wont do it voluntarily, so perhaps the Government needs to point the way (yes you can stop laughing now ) and perhaps bring in a max 60mph speed limit and car sharing, which they did during the 1970s fuel crisis...

"I paid £193.7 today.

"

Not per litre you didn't

By *ighty_tightyMan  over a year ago

Norfolk/Suffolk

With the extra cost of a windfall tax the oil companies need to recoup that money somewhere.

The prescendent has been set now so the prices will never come down again. Maybe a couple of pence here and there, but I'd be very surprised if we ever see sub £1.50 per ltr again, even after Covid / Brexit / Ukraine. Maybe when the rioting starts....

"I paid £193.7 today.

Not per litre you didn't"

LOL yes you're right it was £1.937

There is going to be a hell of a stink when the CEO's etc of energy companys are awarded bonuses later this year.

Mark my words!

Norfolk/Suffolk

"There is going to be a hell of a stink when the CEO's etc of energy companys are awarded bonuses later this year.

Mark my words!"

Why?

They've done their jobs, created masses of profits for the shareholders (ie all our private pensions) and will get the bonuses according to their contracts.

"There is going to be a hell of a stink when the CEO's etc of energy companys are awarded bonuses later this year.

Mark my words!

Why?

They've done their jobs, created masses of profits for the shareholders (ie all our private pensions) and will get the bonuses according to their contracts.

"

its going to be the size of the bonuses.

By *i_guy_sloughMan  over a year ago

Langley

I remember back when petrol broke £1 a litre and exactly the same conversation was had “this is ridiculous”, “people can’t afford to live paying these prices” and yet they didn’t come down. They may trim a few pence off to make it look like something is being done but £2 per litre is going to be the norm going forwards.

By *valanche1001Man  over a year ago

Leeds

Just cost me £96 to fill up but then I’ve just driven 235 miles for work so I’m ahead - once I get my expenses in

Norfolk/Suffolk

Mark my words!

Why?

its going to be the size of the bonuses."

Again, and?

If they are contracted to those bonuses they should get them.

And 50% will be tax anyway

By *ussinboots1888Couple  over a year ago

bradford

I work 12 miles away and start at 6,I’d have to catch 3 buses to get there as it’s a little out the way… I’ve literally no choice to pay whatever

» Add a new message to this topic