FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Vintage Lesbianism

Vintage Lesbianism

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Anyone else in the LGBT community love delving into LGBT history? A large portion of it is so sad and tragic-it makes me so sad to read about.

I love delving into the history to see all the wonderful icons who fought for our right to exist.

I love researching vintage lesbianism, especially lesbian activism. I learnt yesterday of lesbians deaths during the AIDS crisis, many of which went unregistered. The slogan ‘Women don’t get aids, they just die from it’ has been in my mind all night.

Anyone else love looking into their communities history? And if you do, any recommendations on sources or archives to read?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *heNerdyFembyWoman  over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

I read what I can when I can, there are some fascinating stories of Trans people throughout history, and of cultures that operated with more than two genders.

But yeah lesbianism is a great topic to read about. Like why in America there is the term U-Hauling among lesbian circles, have you heard that one?

By *ea monkeyMan  over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

Yes, I’ve looked into the history of the bisexual community which sadly is littered with and beset by erasure from the start of the LGBT movement.

The very first Pride parade was organised by a Bisexual lady but that gets written out of many historical tales.

It’s sad how the B gets ignored so often

By *ea monkeyMan  over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"I read what I can when I can, there are some fascinating stories of Trans people throughout history, and of cultures that operated with more than two genders.

But yeah lesbianism is a great topic to read about. Like why in America there is the term U-Hauling among lesbian circles, have you heard that one?"

I’ve heard of that. Isn’t it a standing joke?

By *heNerdyFembyWoman  over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

"I read what I can when I can, there are some fascinating stories of Trans people throughout history, and of cultures that operated with more than two genders.

But yeah lesbianism is a great topic to read about. Like why in America there is the term U-Hauling among lesbian circles, have you heard that one?

I’ve heard of that. Isn’t it a standing joke? "

The exact term is a joke yeah, that lesbians will pack their lives into a U-Haul (brand of Van hire)

But the practice is interesting. In WW2 a LOT and I mean a LOT of gay and bi men enlisted in order to get out of their backwards small towns so they could be more themselves. Which is why a lot of the gay hubs in the states are often near historical military bases.

Women never had this, so Lesbianism didn't have centres to meet or move too, so it became a sort of practice that when they met one of them would pack everything into a u-haul

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"Yes, I’ve looked into the history of the bisexual community which sadly is littered with and beset by erasure from the start of the LGBT movement.

The very first Pride parade was organised by a Bisexual lady but that gets written out of many historical tales.

It’s sad how the B gets ignored so often "

I agree; I have some very lovely bi friends who are often frustrated about their lack of representation; it gets even worse when they are dating a man and are seen to be straight. The Bi community has contributed so much to the community and the movement- they really need more credit.

By *ampWithABrainWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Yes, I’ve looked into the history of the bisexual community which sadly is littered with and beset by erasure from the start of the LGBT movement.

It’s sad how the B gets ignored so often

I agree; I have some very lovely bi friends who are often frustrated about their lack of representation; it gets even worse when they are dating a man and are seen to be straight. The Bi community has contributed so much to the community and the movement- they really need more credit. "

Thank you for this both of you

» Add a new message to this topic