FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Coffee makes shoppers spend more

Coffee makes shoppers spend more

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *irtydevil666 OP   Man  over a year ago

bristol

A new study has revealed that those who drank a cup of caffeinated coffee before a shopping spree spent around 50 per cent more money and purchased 30 per cent more items than those who drank water.

The international study saw researchers carry out experiments in large retail stores that are adding coffee bars near their entrances.

Lead author Professor Dipayan Biswas, from the University of South Florida, said: "Caffeine, as a powerful stimulant, releases powerful dopamine in the brain, which excites the mind and the body.

"This leads to a higher energetic state, which in turn enhances impulsivity and decreases self-control.

"As a result, caffeine intake leads to shopping impulsivity in terms of higher number of items purchased and greater spending."

The study found that caffeine also influenced the type of items shoppers bought, with those who drank it purchasing more non-essential items such as scented candles.

I don't drink it so don't know how true this is....

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oo..Woman  over a year ago

Boo's World

I bet they didn't do the same survey with parents who took a child(ren) to the supermarket with them too....

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I only know I used to get royally pissed off when Waitrose did free coffee for their card holders and the place was full of people wandering about with cardboard containers of hot liquid.

Coffee makes me happy, I know that much but I've usually decided what to buy before I shop unless I'm in Aldi middle aisle, then trombones and inflatable canoes seem essential. Caffeinated or not

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

TLDR but I think the answer is cake

» Add a new message to this topic