FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > RE Striking wankers

RE Striking wankers

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

It's not about pay only,it's about eroded conditions , maintenance staff being cut(which will affect safety),etc

Don't believe the Tory hype and spin, Read a little and don't belive the bullsh1t most papers are printing

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *lueFireCouple  over a year ago

just somewhere around here

"It's not about pay only,it's about eroded conditions , maintenance staff being cut(which will affect safety),etc

Don't believe the Tory hype and spin, Read a little and don't belive the bullsh1t most papers are printing "

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"It's not about pay only,it's about eroded conditions , maintenance staff being cut(which will affect safety),etc

Don't believe the Tory hype and spin, Read a little and don't belive the bullsh1t most papers are printing "

I’m not going to argue but it would help if they said they’d be happy with 3%..

By *ustauseerTV/TS  over a year ago

sedgemoor

Stand in solidarity with those who have chosen industrial action

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

It's very hard to read the full, accurate story. Where do we find it that doesn't have a pay wall or email sign up, and isn't biased in any way.

Just the facts of what they want and not a long-winded back story of the fight between the two parties.

totally agree

By *immyinreadingMan  over a year ago

henley on thames

Got nice weather for their strike, didn’t they.

It’s a well-paid workforce, demanding a huge pay rise, and throwing in safety concerns as a smokescreen.

Back to the bad old days of striking. Wrecked the country then.

By *otMe66Man  over a year ago

Terra Firma

"It's very hard to read the full, accurate story. Where do we find it that doesn't have a pay wall or email sign up, and isn't biased in any way.

Just the facts of what they want and not a long-winded back story of the fight between the two parties.

"

New at Fab:

Some train people want more pay and don't want changes that would mean job cuts.

The train boss man, says no

The train people say we wont work for 3 days

The train boss man said don't do that

The train people said will do it

The train boss man said okay

The train people are not working

So no trains today, but the train drivers are okay, they are not with the other train people

Back to the studio

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

Yes I can't believe some of the nonsense that is being spouted, it's labour's fault apparently. Despite the fact they haven't been in power since 2010.

By *immyinreadingMan  over a year ago

henley on thames

"Yes I can't believe some of the nonsense that is being spouted, it's labour's fault apparently. Despite the fact they haven't been in power since 2010. "

Labour are stirring the p(l)ot

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

I think most people empathize and support their cause but are also (understandably) critical and upset at the methods employed.

By *rhugesMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

"I think most people empathize and support their cause but are also (understandably) critical and upset at the methods employed."

I completely disagree everyone I have spoken to thinks their selfish little bastards

"I think most people empathize and support their cause but are also (understandably) critical and upset at the methods employed."

Opposite from everyone I know. Headline is the pay increase, they can get fucked with a 7-11% increase. Just my opinion.

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

Don't believe the Tory hype and spin, Read a little and don't belive the bullsh1t most papers are printing

It’s a well-paid workforce, demanding a huge pay rise, and throwing in safety concerns as a smokescreen.

Back to the bad old days of striking. Wrecked the country then. "

It's called negotiation! If they started at what they're willing to accept, they'd be slaughtered for "refusing to budge". You go in high knowing you're going to have to meet in the middle.

By *aysOfOurLivesCouple  over a year ago

Chigwell

A quick Google search for average salaries…

NHS Nurse: £38k

Police Constable: £31k

Firefighter: £25k

NHS Care worker: £22k

RNLI lifeboat crew: £0

Train Driver: £54k

How/why are drivers valued more than our emergency services? Because they have a bully boys cartel running their unions! …feck the greedy lot of them.

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

"A quick Google search for average salaries…

How/why are drivers valued more than our emergency services? Because they have a bully boys cartel running their unions! …feck the greedy lot of them. "

It isn't train drivers striking

By *ustauseerTV/TS  over a year ago

sedgemoor

How/why are drivers valued more than our emergency services? Because they have a bully boys cartel running their unions! …feck the greedy lot of them. "

It’s not the train drivers! Is the support staff so signallers, track and train engineers, level Crossing staff, onboard crew.

They’re getting a pay cut Because the wage does not match with inflation therefore they’re buying power is reduced and they are no longer able to sustain themselves to be able to afford things like their rent, their council tax and their food.

By *idnight RamblerMan  over a year ago

Pershore

Got nice weather for their strike,

didn’t they.

Back to the bad old days of striking. Wrecked the country then.

It's called negotiation! If they started at what they're willing to accept, they'd be slaughtered for "refusing to budge". You go in high knowing you're going to have to meet in the middle."

Indeed, but the 'negotiation' becomes a game of brinkmanship with the hapless public the loser. Kids can't get to exams, the sick can't get to appointments etc etc. If this unleashes a wave of strikes we are back to the 70s/80s and a basket-case, third-world economy. Then enter stage left Mrs Thatcher. Is that what we want?

And that's only a basic average. A London underground driver clears over £100000 a year with all the add ons....also they get a full pension upon retiring.

I'm sick to death of unions holding this country to ransom because they won't move with the times

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan  over a year ago

Aylesbury

"Yes I can't believe some of the nonsense that is being spouted, it's labour's fault apparently. Despite the fact they haven't been in power since 2010.

Labour are stirring the p(l)ot "

You mean the red tory, Starmer?

Aylesbury

How/why are drivers valued more than our emergency services? Because they have a bully boys cartel running their unions! …feck the greedy lot of them.

And that's only a basic average. A London underground driver clears over £100000 a year with all the add ons....also they get a full pension upon retiring.

I'm sick to death of unions holding this country to ransom because they won't move with the times"

Why should workers accept eroded working conditions?

Just like when companies such as British Gas sacked a load of engineers because they refused to except new contract terms.

It's funny, these rail companies were happy to accept millions inpublic cash to keep them afloat during the pandemic (of which they immediately gave to the stock holders), and now they are eroding workers conditions so the money that they lost due to the pandemic doesn't effect their profits. Fuck the rail companies, they should be renationalised as well as the rest of transport and utilities.

By *iamondCougarWoman  over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

I have no issue at all with the RMT putting up a fight for better rights and pay

My issue is holding Joe public to ransom to get them a platform to shout louder. There are ways and means without disrupting everyone’s life! It’s bloody mean!

I hope they get all the flack they deserve because they wouldn’t accept a reasonable offer

Imagine if the NHS went on strike ….

By *heNerdyFembyWoman  over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

Honestly I find it telling that someone could look at this list and their takeaway is the drivers get paid too much, and not that we tragically underpay so many vital areas of our country.

I'm sick to death of unions holding this country to ransom because they won't move with the times

Why should workers accept eroded working conditions?

Just like when companies such as British Gas sacked a load of engineers because they refused to except new contract terms.

It's funny, these rail companies were happy to accept millions inpublic cash to keep them afloat during the pandemic (of which they immediately gave to the stock holders), and now they are eroding workers conditions so the money that they lost due to the pandemic doesn't effect their profits. Fuck the rail companies, they should be renationalised as well as the rest of transport and utilities. "

Yay commen sense

Aylesbury

"I have no issue at all with the RMT putting up a fight for better rights and pay

My issue is holding Joe public to ransom to get them a platform to shout louder. There are ways and means without disrupting everyone’s life! It’s bloody mean!

I hope they get all the flack they deserve because they wouldn’t accept a reasonable offer

Imagine if the NHS went on strike …. "

They could just leave the ticket barriers open so that the public can use the trains for free, it would have the same effect. But sadly the tories made that tactics illegal for them (you can't effect the profits of big businesses, that's just not cricket), so the only option they have is to strike.

By *unkym34Man  over a year ago

London

Got themselves to blame really forcing through Pay rises over the years that have been way above inflation and the requirements for their jobs. Was bound to reach this stage at some time, can’t keep throwing money at them when half of them at stations do fuck all and when asked to go a little bit above and beyond their normal role refuse.

By *ersiantugMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

Honestly I find it telling that someone could look at this list and their takeaway is the drivers get paid too much, and not that we tragically underpay so many vital areas of our country."

--- Nurses start at 22k ffs!!!! grrrr --pt

Cardiff

The shit people believe.

London

"I have no issue at all with the RMT putting up a fight for better rights and pay

They could just leave the ticket barriers open so that the public can use the trains for free, it would have the same effect. But sadly the tories made that tactics illegal for them (you can't effect the profits of big businesses, that's just not cricket), so the only option they have is to strike."

what are you on about the barriers are open when a station. Is not supervised and also the number of gate line employes that are supposed to help the public that can’t be found ofcourse they want to reduce numbers. Not to mention the amount of money they is stolen by staff from ticket offices as the union deemed it unfit for cameras to be fitted above them.

Cardiff

We should own and run all of our essential services and utilities, no question about it. -pt

Train drivers are ASLEF, not the RMT

RMT is guards, train staff, station staff, maintenance, cleaners. On a lot less than the ASLEF members (median of 33k, so equivalent to fire, Police and nurses)

I have every sympathy for the non-driver staff; they get shafted at every turn, and then the government uses the driver salaries to justify their stance of the pay is too high.

Strikes are not good news, but then neither are job losses; if the rail companies - who, let's not forget, are still paying 6 figures for their executives and handing out dividends, even though they don't actually operate as private companies any more - won't increase wages, then withdrawal of labour is the response of last resort.

As to the value of the pay rises being negotiated, they too have not seen a rise in 4 years, so compound up a 3% rise for a while and it gets to 10-11% really quickly.

Pershore

Imagine if the NHS went on strike …. "

Terrible, we'd never get to see a GP, we'd have to self-diagnose using Dr Google, all operations delayed ..... oh, wait .........

London

"We should own and run all of our essential services and utilities, no question about it. -pt"
this I 100% agree with

London

"Imagine if the NHS went on strike …. "

Terrible, we'd never get to see a GP, we'd have to self-diagnose using Dr Google, all operations delayed ..... oh, wait ........."

just spat my beer out lol

Cardiff

It's not just about the final figure anyway (it rarely is) it's about cuts in some way usually.. ie the workload per worker, cuts in standards and the jobs being less safe etc.

Look at GPs. They actually increased their money but gave them more work than many of them can handle. --pt

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

"We should own and run all of our essential services and utilities, no question about it. -pt this I 100% agree with "

And I.

Aylesbury

They could just leave the ticket barriers open so that the public can use the trains for free, it would have the same effect. But sadly the tories made that tactics illegal for them (you can't effect the profits of big businesses, that's just not cricket), so the only option they have is to strike. what are you on about the barriers are open when a station. Is not supervised and also the number of gate line employes that are supposed to help the public that can’t be found ofcourse they want to reduce numbers. Not to mention the amount of money they is stolen by staff from ticket offices as the union deemed it unfit for cameras to be fitted above them. "

Keyword: unsupervised

Also *citation needed

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

It's mainly a great point... until the end. Why are emergency services, NHS and other Public Sector being paid so badly. It's not in anyway related to the rail workers.

Also, ask yourself why are they quoting (London) train drivers wages? They're not on strike! Maybe it's because they are trying to devide the people?

The bigger question should be "why should wages not go up inline with inflation"? Surely an inflation matching pay increase is just enough to stand still... and if people should get THAT why did MPs award themselves a larger than inflation pay rise? (On top of their endless expenses)...

Cal

By *stellaWoman  over a year ago

London

Mick Lynch for the win. Bossing every interview. Solidarity with those on strike

By *orkiebar51Man  over a year ago

Keighley

"I think most people empathize and support their cause but are also (understandably) critical and upset at the methods employed.

I completely disagree everyone I have spoken to thinks their selfish little bastards"

You should get out more and meet some real people

Back to the bad old days of striking. Wrecked the country then. "

There was me reading it was a global energy crisis, high interest loans from the US government post WW2 and the IMF bailout that wrecked the country back then. Apparently not, every day is a school day, eh?

By *gentlegiant66Man  over a year ago

Kettering

Everybody worked from home

If that would continue then nobody will be needing a train

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Striking is the final resort, where insufficient attention and respect are given to workers. The government hasn't even bothered to assist with negotiations, preferring to pretend that they've nothing to do with it. Even the Transport Minister can't be arsed.

By *heNerdyFembyWoman  over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

"Everybody worked from home

If that would continue then nobody will be needing a train "

The problem with that is there is an entire swathe of middle management whose sole job is to hover over you in the office and make sure you are working, what would happen to them? LOL

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Stand in solidarity with those who have chosen industrial action "

Yes because train drivers, teachers and doctors are regularly out there fighting the case for low paid hospitality, factory and health care workers on min wage with a pittance of a pension … No .they don’t give a fuck about you

I say fire the lot of them, automate the trains and use Google for health and education. If you really need an operation , go abroad where it’s cheaper and the staff do it properly without whining about the pay

By *otsMan  over a year ago

Higham

Both sides are lying and playing a political game whilst Labour are trying to distance their selves whilst behind the scenes supporting and stirring the action just to try and bring down the government.

Only ones loosing here are the workers and the public

By *arleyfatboy2019Couple  over a year ago

Devon

Police now start at just over £18k just above the national minimum .

By *r-8-BBCMan  over a year ago

LONDON

I am with the strikers

Scunthorpe

"Police now start at just over £18k just above the national minimum . "

This is for a Police Constable Degree APPRENTICE. It is also worth remembering that it is not a race to the bottom. Someone else getting paid less doesn't excuse not paying others fairly.

Everyone should always get a pay increase inline with inflation, otherwise we are effectively getting a pay-cut.

Cal

Scunthorpe

"Stand in solidarity with those who have chosen industrial action

Yes because train drivers, teachers and doctors are regularly out there fighting the case for low paid hospitality, factory and health care workers on min wage with a pittance of a pension … No .they don’t give a fuck about you

I say fire the lot of them, automate the trains and use Google for health and education. If you really need an operation , go abroad where it’s cheaper and the staff do it properly without whining about the pay "

In the last few years, there have been Health Service strikes in Germany, France, Latvia, Greece, and Spain... These are actually doctors and nurses striking over poor pay and conditions.

Cal

Pershore

Anyway, as it turned out, people sensibly worked from home, road traffic was less than usual and life went on. More rail strikes will lose all the gains in passenger numbers won over two decades. The industry will contract and jobs will be lost. Just like the miners.

By *atfuckerbristolMan  over a year ago

Wells

"We should own and run all of our essential services and utilities, no question about it. -pt"

I agree with the sentiment - but the service BR offered before privatization was pretty dreadful. Unpredictable, infrequent, dirty old rolling stock and expensive to use.

And there were far more strikes too!

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple  over a year ago

Coventry

I've seen the classic game of turning working people against working people go on the media over this. Sky's reporting being a classic example. They want working people to blame working for standing up for their working conditions and pay because they are better than the ones they have. They don't want working people to make the connection between unity in the workplace and better working conditions. Maybe one day working people will see the path to better conditions for their own industry is not to attack working people standing up for themselves but to unionise and with their own colleagues fight for a better deal. The enamy is working people protecting themselves, it's those that want their pound of flesh for you labour.

This government are hell bent on destroying workers rights, we have to support industrial action and be prepared to take it ourselves

Also this week the government passed legislation through that removed the cap on financial institutions pay increases. One rule for one.

Scaff poles and bottles are effective in removing governments

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple  over a year ago

Coventry

"We should own and run all of our essential services and utilities, no question about it. -pt

I agree with the sentiment - but the service BR offered before privatization was pretty dreadful. Unpredictable, infrequent, dirty old rolling stock and expensive to use.

And there were far more strikes too!"

Yes but the government spending on the railway sharply increased over privatisation, completely the opposite of what privatisation was ment to do. I suspect the government had to inject so much money because it needed to show privatisation works and give passenger tangible results whatever the cost. They did not want an ideological failure but of course in the end franchising system failed anyway (before the pandemic hit btw) but not untill billions of profits where made for private companies. Most of this profit for companies from outside of the UK. And a lot of it used to fund other nations railways which is pretty sick. Imagine if the government had made the same increased investments into our railways over the same period without huge profits being taken out of it into others pockets?

Now this current model of fixed fee railway is IMO even sicker. The government runs the railway, calls the shots, takes the money and the risk but pays companies a fixed fee to run a brand risk free. Why are we having a middle man that is basically told what to do by the government and just take a chunck tax payers and ticket buyers into their pockets? It's seams to me the only reason we have the leeches sucking profits now is so the government can keep a facade that privatisation works and has someone to blame when it all goes wrong rather than blaming the government (as is what the government is doing with this dispute). This system is very sick, it steals tax payers and passenger money simply to protect the government from blame and failed ideology.

The answer is simple and something that happens all over Europe. But yet it's something we've never tried. A state run railway with strong government investment.

By *ehindHerEyesCouple  over a year ago

SomewhereOnlyWeKnow

"Everybody worked from home

If that would continue then nobody will be needing a train "

Not everyone had that luxury, I'm having to pay out and extra £60+ on travel this week (basically double what I'd normally pay) that I dont really have simply to get to work and home on time. because the trains that are being stopped from running are the pre 9 am commuter trains, you know the that most people use to get to work.

I fully understand the need for strikes and such but when an already struggling financially general public that dont have the luxury of working from home are being affected like this it leaves a very bitter taste in your mouth

Tg x

By *oody HuddsonMan  over a year ago

sexy town

We have a bud strike up here too and while wages are forefront £9.78 an hour is shit for the responsibility they have there is also working conditions 1 being all toilets have been closed in bud stations as have most public toilets, but this means the drivers can only go to toilet at the start or end of shift when in depot. That’s 8hrs plus

This country is shit.

By *aysOfOurLivesCouple  over a year ago

Chigwell

Honestly I find it telling that someone could look at this list and their takeaway is the drivers get paid too much, and not that we tragically underpay so many vital areas of our country."

My point is clearly that our most important “life line” workers are grossly underpaid.

Aylesbury

"Mick Lynch for the win. Bossing every interview. Solidarity with those on strike "

Oh I agree!

He's done more in one week for workers and the left than starmer has done in his career!

» Add a new message to this topic