FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Children and food

Children and food

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Trying to get the little ones to eat their fruit and veg has to be one of the biggest challenges in life. Why the little buggers would rather have a greasy Mcdonalds.

I'm not being funny, but if I was Boris Johnson I'd put All the fast food chains under the same category as cigarettes and alcohol. You have to be over 18 and it's tax heavily too. And any one who dares to take minors to such establishments should be given a fine likend to a speeding fine.

Okay that's my Sunday rant.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

He's set the Toan. ^

"He's set the Toan. ^"

"He's set the Toan. ^"

Does this mean you totally agree with me?

Maybe Boris you should make you the Food Zhar....

"He's set the Toan. ^

Does this mean you totally agree with me? "

Nah.

By *etcplCouple  over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

From a Government that needing shaming into giving kids free school meals over lock down, yeah good luck with that

By *ablo minibar123Woman  over a year ago

Thank fuck you're not Boris Johnson then

Good plan.. I'm lovin it.

By *hortarseWoman  over a year ago

Norfolk

How benefit parents going to feed there children

By *hismMan  over a year ago

Ballygonowhere

"Trying to get the little ones to eat their fruit and veg has to be one of the biggest challenges in life. Why the little buggers would rather have a greasy Mcdonalds.

I'm not being funny, but if I was Boris Johnson I'd put All the fast food chains under the same category as cigarettes and alcohol. You have to be over 18 and it's tax heavily too. And any one who dares to take minors to such establishments should be given a fine likend to a speeding fine.

Okay that's my Sunday rant. "

How do your kids know what a greasy McDonalds tastes like

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

I have read that a really good way of bringing up babies so they end up eating what they should is with breastfeeding. Apparently if the mother has a good diet, the flavours of what she eats end up in her milk and the babies grow used to it.

That's how our children were brought up and we haven't really had any issues with what they eat. My ex-wife was also a pretty good cook so food we had at home was pretty good and they would pizza on a Friday as a special treat. McDonald's had a proper rival in Mum.

It won't work for everybody of course, and you can't turn back the clock, but we've done OK and that's the path we followed. I couldn't say for sure how much that was the reason. I just know where we are now.

"Trying to get the little ones to eat their fruit and veg has to be one of the biggest challenges in life. Why the little buggers would rather have a greasy Mcdonalds.

How do your kids know what a greasy McDonalds tastes like "

Really now. They don't know. That's our job, is to lead them in straight.

By *hoirCouple  over a year ago

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

Thank fuck you aren't near power.

I dislike fast food but you seem deadset against personal choice.

C

Do you think they should tax chocolate heavily?

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Nah not a good idea x

"Maybe Boris you should make you the Food Zhar...."

On a serious note, if I was 'prime minister/president' I'd tax all soft drinks (that contain more than 1 spoon of sugar) under the same category as alcohol.

There I hope that's satisfed you.

By *ucks Couple UKCouple  over a year ago

Bucks

"How benefit parents going to feed there children"

You can buy healthy food quite cheaply. By fruit and veg from a market. It just takes a little time and planning.

Really now. They don't know. That's our job, is to lead them in straight. "

So where does the judgement about kids preferring McDonalds comes from then? They have it because parents feed it, and that is their choice, how do you differentiate between McDonalds as a lifestyle choice and parents taking their children for an occasional treat?

Everything in moderation is my belief

"Do you think they should tax chocolate heavily?"

Honestly? Well chocolates should be made with low fat and sugar sugar that is good for your teeth. Otherwise yes it should be taxed just like alcohol and tobaccos.

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

"How benefit parents going to feed there children"

Same way I did when I was on benefits. Go to the supermarket, buy fruit, vegetables and cheap sausages, pies, fish fingers, minced beef and make them meals.

My kids didn't have McDonalds when I had little money.

We also didn't have biscuits, cakes or crisps in the cupboard all the time. I got them to eat fruit and vegetables by putting them in front of them at dinner time and they ate them.

They went off things as they got older, then started eating them again. My children all ate raw tomatoes as children but won't eat them now.

By *anandJCouple  over a year ago

Citywest

We either have weird kids, or feeding them fruits and vegetables as soon as they could eat it, is paying off. Not sure how long it will last, they’re not teenagers yet

So where does the judgement about kids preferring McDonalds comes from then? They have it because parents feed it, and that is their choice, how do you differentiate between McDonalds as a lifestyle choice and parents taking their children for an occasional treat?

Everything in moderation is my belief"

It's that so called 'occasional treat' that is the beginning of corrupting the young minds

"Do you think they should tax chocolate heavily?

Honestly? Well chocolates should be made with low fat and sugar sugar that is good for your teeth. Otherwise yes it should be taxed just like alcohol and tobaccos. "

Do you want to ban anything else that people enjoy?

By *eroLondonMan  over a year ago

Mayfair

"....I'm not being funny..."

Have you tried?

Norfolk

"How benefit parents going to feed there children

You can buy healthy food quite cheaply. By fruit and veg from a market. It just takes a little time and planning. "

I was joking

East London

I don't think taxing unhealthy foods is the cure for bad parenting. Taxing my blue riband or jaffa cakes won't make me stop eating them, unless they become ridiculously expensive, then, no-one will buy them and they will go out of business.

You can buy healthy food quite cheaply. By fruit and veg from a market. It just takes a little time and planning. "

You 'took the words right out of my mouth'. People can afford cigarettes and alcohol yet they claim that they cannot afford carrots and cabbage ect. ..

East London

You can buy healthy food quite cheaply. By fruit and veg from a market. It just takes a little time and planning.

I was joking"

I don't understand why people struggling on benefits are the butt of peoples' jokes.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

We either have weird kids, or feeding them fruits and vegetables as soon as they could eat it, is paying off. Not sure how long it will last, they’re not teenagers yet "

Our son ate a very healthy diet as a child. We didn't buy fast food etc and never had takeaways. He's 19 now and uses Deliveroo etc far more often than I'd like and gets McDonald's breakfast after finishing work at bizarre hours of the morning. I'm hoping the novelty will wear off and he'll realise how much money he could save by bringing his own food for after work etc. He can cook really well, so that's not an issue for him.

East London

You 'took the words right out of my mouth'. People can afford cigarettes and alcohol yet they claim that they cannot afford carrots and cabbage ect. .. "

How many of these people do you actually know?

Norfolk

I was joking

I don't understand why people struggling on benefits are the butt of peoples' jokes. "

I'm single parent and get benefits. I don't feed my child McDonald but some parents don't know how to do it

East London

We either have weird kids, or feeding them fruits and vegetables as soon as they could eat it, is paying off. Not sure how long it will last, they’re not teenagers yet

Our son ate a very healthy diet as a child. We didn't buy fast food etc and never had takeaways. He's 19 now and uses Deliveroo etc far more often than I'd like and gets McDonald's breakfast after finishing work at bizarre hours of the morning. I'm hoping the novelty will wear off and he'll realise how much money he could save by bringing his own food for after work etc. He can cook really well, so that's not an issue for him. "

It might wear off once he starts reading medical articles about unhealthy food he finds on his pillow every night.

My son goes from one extreme to the other.

It's that so called 'occasional treat' that is the beginning of corrupting the young minds "

Not in my experience it isn't. However deprivation of it can have more of a negative impact because they may rebel against it later in life, especially when having peer influences. They will be exposed to it in one way or another

My sons are 28 and 26 and yes I did take them out for fast food treats on occasion and for their birthdays etc, but they also had home cooked meals with lots of fruit and veg...you can have a balance

East London

I was joking

I don't understand why people struggling on benefits are the butt of peoples' jokes.

I'm single parent and get benefits. I don't feed my child McDonald but some parents don't know how to do it"

Maybe parents with learning difficulties might not know, but I'm guessing most do, but might have fussy eaters like Toan.

I've known many people on benefits and very few have put their cigarettes or alcohol above feeding their children fruit and vegetables. Some people, even well off ones, have trouble getting children to eat healthy food. Maybe it's because they have given them too many nicer options.

I was joking"

That makes the comment worse imho. I am sure there are a lot of people on benefits who did not choose to be there. Nothing funny in that

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

"Trying to get the little ones to eat their fruit and veg has to be one of the biggest challenges in life. "

I disagree. There are bigger challenges. Like supporting four children for the six months they know their dad is dying of cancer and then bringing them up on your own afterwards.

East London

It's that so called 'occasional treat' that is the beginning of corrupting the young minds

Not in my experience it isn't. However deprivation of it can have more of a negative impact because they may rebel against it later in life, especially when having peer influences. They will be exposed to it in one way or another

My sons are 28 and 26 and yes I did take them out for fast food treats on occasion and for their birthdays etc, but they also had home cooked meals with lots of fruit and veg...you can have a balance "

My children had sweets, crisp, fizzy drinks etc on a Friday night when daddy got paid.

During the week I brought them a banana or apple to eat on the way home from school, unless it was hot and I brought them an ice pole to eat on the 20 minute walk home. None of them had a filling until they were older teenagers and none were, and still aren't obese.

They were out a lot, playing on the street outside my house, or dancing, football, cricket etc, so burnt off any calories from treats.

I rarely see groups of children playing out now.

East London

"Trying to get the little ones to eat their fruit and veg has to be one of the biggest challenges in life.

I disagree. There are bigger challenges. Like supporting four children for the six months they know their dad is dying of cancer and then bringing them up on your own afterwards. "

That must have been so hard to do. Hats off to anyone going through something like that.

"Trying to get the little ones to eat their fruit and veg has to be one of the biggest challenges in life.

I disagree. There are bigger challenges. Like supporting four children for the six months they know their dad is dying of cancer and then bringing them up on your own afterwards. "

Sally we're talking about daily challenges that all adults go through. Your challenge is in a totally different department. Stay with the plot.

My sons are 28 and 26 and yes I did take them out for fast food treats on occasion and for their birthdays etc, but they also had home cooked meals with lots of fruit and veg...you can have a balance

My children had sweets, crisp, fizzy drinks etc on a Friday night when daddy got paid.

During the week I brought them a banana or apple to eat on the way home from school, unless it was hot and I brought them an ice pole to eat on the 20 minute walk home. None of them had a filling until they were older teenagers and none were, and still aren't obese.

They were out a lot, playing on the street outside my house, or dancing, football, cricket etc, so burnt off any calories from treats.

I rarely see groups of children playing out now."

Sounds like my house. And yep, you make a good point about kids and playing out. Mine were out a lot, eldest played sports at clubs. Like you say you just don't see it now

Labelling food as good or bad is the easiest way to an eating disorder lol

I disagree. There are bigger challenges. Like supporting four children for the six months they know their dad is dying of cancer and then bringing them up on your own afterwards.

Sally we're talking about daily challenges that all adults go through. Your challenge is in a totally different department. Stay with the plot."

But Sally's experience is relative to the 'plot' she is offering another viewpoint and saying that nor everything is black an white

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

[Removed by poster at 19/06/22 10:47:29]

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

"

You want Boris to legislate something that ought to be a parental responsibility?

Weird, on a number of levels

By *orders CoupleCouple  over a year ago

Kelso

"I have read that a really good way of bringing up babies so they end up eating what they should is with breastfeeding. Apparently if the mother has a good diet, the flavours of what she eats end up in her milk and the babies grow used to it.

That's how our children were brought up and we haven't really had any issues with what they eat. My ex-wife was also a pretty good cook so food we had at home was pretty good and they would pizza on a Friday as a special treat. McDonald's had a proper rival in Mum.

It won't work for everybody of course, and you can't turn back the clock, but we've done OK and that's the path we followed. I couldn't say for sure how much that was the reason. I just know where we are now. "

That's pretty much our experience too xx

East London

Sally we're talking about daily challenges that all adults go through. Your challenge is in a totally different department. Stay with the plot."

She's pointing out that getting children to eat certain foods pales into insignificance when you compare to actual life challenges.

Have you thought about why your children won't eat fruit and vegetables?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

For someone trying to look as if you care about what children eat you certainly came across as callous and cruel in that comment..

Uncalled for..

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

[Removed by poster at 19/06/22 10:49:12]

East London

What have you tried, to get them to eat fruit and vegetables? What's their typical daily diet?

Banning/prohibition of anything generally doesn’t work.

Educating people to make healthy choices most of the time is much better. There is nothing wrong with the occasional trip to a fast food joint if you enjoy a varied diet. Plus sometimes life gets in the way and the a takeaway is the easiest option.

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

Mum and Dad always said "nothing else" and never gave in. Worked out well for my brothers and me into adulthood.

"Labelling food as good or bad is the easiest way to an eating disorder lol "

Oh come now, it's not rocket science to know that taking children to fast food place regularly rather than feeding children with fresh home cooked food is healthier. We as adults know this, but young minds don't.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

And Op not all kids don't or won't eat fruit and vegetables, whilst you have a point on excess sugar in foods and drinks etc sweeping generalisations and a pompous sounding position does not help in what is a much broader issue..

By *oeBeansMan  over a year ago

Derby

Junk food isn't the issue, it's the education of proper meal planning on a budget that doesn't take loads of time that isn't out there and when you have busy, working parents, it's all too easy to just stick something in microwave or oven and give that to them.

Trust me, I grew up the same way and breaking those habits as an adult has been tough, but it's rewarding all the same

By *toC Thats MeWoman  over a year ago

Sheffield

"Trying to get the little ones to eat their fruit and veg has to be one of the biggest challenges in life. "

In an ideal world you’d like your children to eat healthy and lots of fruit and veg. But you have to factor in that some children simply can’t or won’t for various reasons, autism can play a huge part in food choices for example.

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

All things in moderation, even moderation!

I enjoy a McDonald’s every now and then - it’s lovely as an occasional treat. My kids are the same.

When traveling their loos can be a godsend.

Sally we're talking about daily challenges that all adults go through. Your challenge is in a totally different department. Stay with the plot.

But Sally's experience is relative to the 'plot' she is offering another viewpoint and saying that nor everything is black an white"

She's not sticking to the plot but deflecting from it. What she is going through is a totally different matter.

Ah good to know the judgement doesn't just apply to women, OP

"Labelling food as good or bad is the easiest way to an eating disorder lol

Oh come now, it's not rocket science to know that taking children to fast food place regularly rather than feeding children with fresh home cooked food is healthier. We as adults know this, but young minds don't. "

Okay…but labelling food as good or bad leads children AND adults to feel guilty when they eat the ‘bad’ food, deprive themselves of the ‘bad’ food (when a diet should consist of all of them), binge when they do get the ‘bad’ food, struggle with the calories of the ‘bad’ food and restrict themselves or worse, throw up after eating. There’s so many other reasons and it’s the easiest way to an eating disorder; and I should know. Kids are active, they run around lots, they play, a parent taking a child to McDonald’s for dinner regularly is hardly anyones business but theirs. The parent might be unwell, the child might be autistic and may only eat that (which is better than nothing), the parent might be only able to afford that…there’s a multitude of reasons why they might do that. It’s not our place to judge.

Leeds

"

Oh come now, it's not rocket science to know that taking children to fast food place regularly rather than feeding children with fresh home cooked food is healthier. "

Toan, have you just changed sides in the debate ?

"All things in moderation, even moderation!

I enjoy a McDonald’s every now and then - it’s lovely as an occasional treat. My kids are the same.

When traveling their loos can be a godsend. "

Yes macdonalds is famous for their free loos.

"

Oh come now, it's not rocket science to know that taking children to fast food place regularly rather than feeding children with fresh home cooked food is healthier.

Toan, have you just changed sides in the debate ?"

My wording was slightly wrong. But you know what I'm saying Sally.

East London

"Labelling food as good or bad is the easiest way to an eating disorder lol

Oh come now, it's not rocket science to know that taking children to fast food place regularly rather than feeding children with fresh home cooked food is healthier. We as adults know this, but young minds don't. "

And very few parents actually do this. It's a weak argument for taxing unhealthy food.

Some parents who don't cook from scratch are usually single parents with very little spare time. If you're exhausted after work and you have an option of cooking from scratch or putting a pie in the over with some chips and frozen veg or beans I'll take the latter every time.

East London

Yes macdonalds is famous for their free loos. "

And Internet.

And Internet."

Please don't use the free Internet as an excuse to go there. There should be no excuses to take children to these places. Unless they were starving of hunger and there was no food for 100's of miles.

East London

And Internet.

Please don't use the free Internet as an excuse to go there. There should be no excuses to take children to these places. Unless they were starving of hunger and there was no food for 100's of miles. "

You're so funny at times. I wasn't talking about taking children to McDonald's just to use their Internet, any more than you were talking about taking them just to use the toilets.

Me to....however it's all about how much Money it makes for economy and the government / banks etc. Our health isn't important to them.

By *ellhungvweMan  over a year ago

Cheltenham

My experience of kids is that they will eat what they are given as long as you don’t make a fuss about it. Treat whatever is in their plate as normal and they won’t think twice about it.

Kids taste buds change over time and adapt, so the sooner you expose them to a wide range of foods the better.

At least that is how it worked with my kids when they were younger.

By *ehindHerEyesCouple  over a year ago

SomewhereOnlyWeKnow

Are you saying that is should be the governments responsibility to limit what children can eat for health reasons rather than parents taking responsibility for their child’s welfare?

What next education should only be done in schools?

I can’t believe I’m reading this OP

Marc

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Our son ate very little. It didn't matter what I did, he would drink water or squash to stave off hunger. One day I took his tee shirt off when we were out somewhere playing and he was so thin, I could see his ribs. After that I just gave him what I knew he would eat which was basically chips, baked beans and apples. Very occasionally we took them to McDonald's and he'd eat that, when we were in France that's all he ate.

I don't really care what anybody else thinks but when he was a kid it didn't stop random people from giving me their advice. This included quite seriously suggesting that I 'starve him into eating'.

Poor parenting leads to ‘picky’ children. You can raise children to enjoy both!

We should NOT make everything too expensive or ‘hidden’ to make up for poor parenting? Too many parents are too busy with their lives (working, socialising) that convenience becomes the easier option.

It’s not the government responsibility to bring up our children!!!

When I grew up, it was just home food or no food. As we usually play after school, we are too hungry and cannot skip the meal in anyway. We were taken to restaurants monthly twice to have anything we want.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Poor parenting leads to ‘picky’ children. You can raise children to enjoy both!

We should NOT make everything too expensive or ‘hidden’ to make up for poor parenting? Too many parents are too busy with their lives (working, socialising) that convenience becomes the easier option.

It’s not the government responsibility to bring up our children!!!"

We have two kids. One would eat anything put in front of them the other wouldn't. I can't believe we were poor parents to one and not the other

"Our son ate very little. It didn't matter what I did, he would drink water or squash to stave off hunger. One day I took his tee shirt off when we were out somewhere playing and he was so thin, I could see his ribs. After that I just gave him what I knew he would eat which was basically chips, baked beans and apples. Very occasionally we took them to McDonald's and he'd eat that, when we were in France that's all he ate.

I don't really care what anybody else thinks but when he was a kid it didn't stop random people from giving me their advice. This included quite seriously suggesting that I 'starve him into eating'. "

We had this problem with our oldest and our health visitor told us to feed him whatever he will eat. Luckily he’s always loved fruit but is really picky with normal foods.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Our son ate very little. It didn't matter what I did, he would drink water or squash to stave off hunger. One day I took his tee shirt off when we were out somewhere playing and he was so thin, I could see his ribs. After that I just gave him what I knew he would eat which was basically chips, baked beans and apples. Very occasionally we took them to McDonald's and he'd eat that, when we were in France that's all he ate.

I don't really care what anybody else thinks but when he was a kid it didn't stop random people from giving me their advice. This included quite seriously suggesting that I 'starve him into eating'.

We had this problem with our oldest and our health visitor told us to feed him whatever he will eat. Luckily he’s always loved fruit but is really picky with normal foods."

A doctor and a nurse told me exactly the same. He eats like a horse now.

"Poor parenting leads to ‘picky’ children. You can raise children to enjoy both!

It’s not the government responsibility to bring up our children!!!"

Of course it's not the governments job to bring up 'our children'. But it is parents responsibility for their health and well being. Is it not?

"I have read that a really good way of bringing up babies so they end up eating what they should is with breastfeeding. Apparently if the mother has a good diet, the flavours of what she eats end up in her milk and the babies grow used to it.

It won't work for everybody of course, and you can't turn back the clock, but we've done OK and that's the path we followed. I couldn't say for sure how much that was the reason. I just know where we are now. "

I breastfed both of my boys and they still became fussy eaters, most veggies are a no go, but they both eat copious amounts of variety of fruit so it balances out.

OP if your kids are craving McDonalds over real food,stop taking them to McDonalds would be my advice

Leeds

Toan have you got children ?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

It’s not the government responsibility to bring up our children!!!

Of course it's not the governments job to bring up 'our children'. But it is parents responsibility for their health and well being. Is it not?"

Yes. Which includes not allowing them to become underweight by refusing to feed them

"

I'm not being funny, but if I was Boris Johnson

"

You’re not, but if you were I’d direct you to the politics forum.

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

I disagree. Half the reason we have such problems with excessive drinking in this country is because its so heavily restricted and off limits until you're 18. Other countries that have more relaxed attitudes to alcohol where it is normal to give younger teenagers small glasses of wine with meals see much lower rates of binge drinking.

Similar things happen with food. Growing up my mum was quite restrictive and strict about certain types of food and drink and I know that for both me and my brother, this meant that once we hit our teenage years and could buy our own things, we both would buy them and binge them in private. I've definitely had issues with food as a result of being chastised regularly as a child even for consuming things like milk. Fortunately as adults, now that these things aren't considered forbidden fruits, we're able to consume them in moderation but I know that isn't the case for everyone and I know for me it took me a long time to get out of the pattern of avoiding something completely only to cave and binge on it. I'm 30 years old and I think I'm only really getting there now (well at least 99%).

I think it's far more important to teach balance and nutrition. No food should be banned and no individual food should be forced either as that creates its own issues. Its also worth remembering that palates change as you grow up. I hated broccoli as a kid but I love it now. Kids are more likely to like sweet fruits than vegetables. It often helps to involve them in their food choices too. Obviously it's not practical on a regular basis to do this specifically but as a child, we had strawberry and raspberry plants in our garden and my parents always invited the neighbours kids over to pick them too and there was always more enthusiasm to eat the fruit they had picked themselves.

By *eroLondonMan  over a year ago

Mayfair

"Toan have you got children ?"

He's got six. And all of them conceived during a chicken nuggets Happy Meal™ romantic encounter.

I think it also boils down to when and how you introduce the junk food in their diet. You should ideally train them with regular healthy food and make it a matter of habit. Then introduce junk food once a week or every two weeks. Healthy food should be normalcy and junk food should be something special.

If you have reached a stage where they need it everyday, then it's really hard to bring them back to normal diet.

For someone who doesn't have kids, I am giving so much advice But I have siblings and cousins whose kids I have watched growing up. I have seen how kids take to junk food.

We had this problem with our oldest and our health visitor told us to feed him whatever he will eat. Luckily he’s always loved fruit but is really picky with normal foods.

A doctor and a nurse told me exactly the same. He eats like a horse now."

We’ve managed to find 4 meals he enjoys and we just rotate them and he gets a treat on weekends. He’s getting better at trying things now so hopefully he’ll grow out of it completely.

East London

It won't work for everybody of course, and you can't turn back the clock, but we've done OK and that's the path we followed. I couldn't say for sure how much that was the reason. I just know where we are now.

I breastfed both of my boys and they still became fussy eaters, most veggies are a no go, but they both eat copious amounts of variety of fruit so it balances out.

OP if your kids are craving McDonalds over real food,stop taking them to McDonalds would be my advice"

People talk as if all babies and children are the same. We have identical twin babies in the family and one eats anything they are given, but the other will clamp their mouth closed and reluctantly eat the same things, except desserts/yoghurt which are wolfed down. Whereas, anything savoury is eaten very slowly, and it's difficult to get the food in their mouth.

"

You’re not, but if you were I’d direct you to the politics forum. "

Fab actually has political forum all to itself? Well I'm not being funny but who wants to talk about politics on a Sunday? I only added Boris Johnson because if he talked about this in his job he'd highly likely get my approval.

East London

We’ve managed to find 4 meals he enjoys and we just rotate them and he gets a treat on weekends. He’s getting better at trying things now so hopefully he’ll grow out of it completely."

I was a very skinny kid and didn't like much food. My parents used to argue about me not eating because my dad wanted to make me eat. I got better as I got older but I remember hating Heinz beans and cabbage in particular.

I'm now 9 stone overweight and love cabbage.

East London

"

You’re not, but if you were I’d direct you to the politics forum.

Fab actually has political forum all to itself? Well I'm not being funny but who wants to talk about politics on a Sunday? I only added Boris Johnson because if he talked about this in his job he'd highly likely get my approval. "

How would taxing food help you feed your children fruit and vegetables?

By *etcplCouple  over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

"Maybe Boris you should make you the Food Zhar....

On a serious note, if I was 'prime minister/president' I'd tax all soft drinks (that contain more than 1 spoon of sugar) under the same category as alcohol.

There I hope that's satisfed you. "

Would you also limit how much sugar people put in tea and coffee?

Just bring back rationing

Just bring back rationing "

Really now, who do you really know puts 9 to 20 spoons of sugar in their tea or coffee? Because that is how much sugar are in soft drinks. Which is so bad for young tooths and health.

We’ve managed to find 4 meals he enjoys and we just rotate them and he gets a treat on weekends. He’s getting better at trying things now so hopefully he’ll grow out of it completely.

I was a very skinny kid and didn't like much food. My parents used to argue about me not eating because my dad wanted to make me eat. I got better as I got older but I remember hating Heinz beans and cabbage in particular.

I'm now 9 stone overweight and love cabbage. "

I was picky too. I remember hating lasagne and now it’s one of my favourite foods.

I don’t eat fruit veg salad or pulses or cereal

So each to there own

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

A little bit of what they fancy is ok. If you put something off limits they will want it more.

By *rx1Couple  over a year ago

North West Devon...

All we ever hear, it's "generational" let them get on with it....

Leeds

"I don’t eat fruit veg salad or pulses or cereal

So each to there own"

Do you worry about scurvy

Just bring back rationing

Really now, who do you really know puts 9 to 20 spoons of sugar in their tea or coffee? Because that is how much sugar are in soft drinks. Which is so bad for young tooths and health. "

Where's the empirical data to support your statement that the kids in the UK are binging on Mcds. ?

The kids I see in everyday life look very fit and healthy.

It's not the Government responsibility to look after us from cradle to the grave.

No more taxes.....

"A little bit of what they fancy is ok. If you put something off limits they will want it more."

Yes your argument is totally correct. However why is it that ciggs and alcohol are taxed yet other things which is just as detrimental to one's health should not come under the same category?

East London

So each to there own"

Is it the texture or taste you don't like? We had a half split on barley when my kids were all at home, so I used to boil it separately then add it to my stews once I dished up the non-barley eaters' dinners.

Leeds

" However why is it that ciggs and alcohol are taxed yet other things which is just as detrimental to one's health should not come under the same category? "

Alcohol in moderation is actually beneficial

North West

"All we ever hear, it's "generational" let them get on with it....

"

The eating habits of the older generation are not as healthy as people assume. My Dad will be 83 next week. He refuses to eat "rabbit food" aka salad. He likes to drink Bovril (loaded with salt) and eats cheese and biscuits with his (considerable volume of) red wine. Yet, he's managed to make it this far.

Liverpool

The eating habits of the older generation are not as healthy as people assume. My Dad will be 83 next week. He refuses to eat "rabbit food" aka salad. He likes to drink Bovril (loaded with salt) and eats cheese and biscuits with his (considerable volume of) red wine. Yet, he's managed to make it this far. "

Yep. My remaining grandparent is 96 and my dad tells me how she used to eat sugar sandwiches and whipped cream straight from the bowl. My grandparents on the other side were a bit younger but ate a lot of cakes and boiled sweets.

"Toan have you got children ?"

Still not answered...

The eating habits of the older generation are not as healthy as people assume. My Dad will be 83 next week. He refuses to eat "rabbit food" aka salad. He likes to drink Bovril (loaded with salt) and eats cheese and biscuits with his (considerable volume of) red wine. Yet, he's managed to make it this far.

Yep. My remaining grandparent is 96 and my dad tells me how she used to eat sugar sandwiches and whipped cream straight from the bowl. My grandparents on the other side were a bit younger but ate a lot of cakes and boiled sweets. "

Some people can getaway with a unhealthy diet. But as a general rule 'what you eat is what you are' physically that is.

By *usie pTV/TS  over a year ago

taunton

Got to start on the correct things at the commencement of weaning so they don't get a taste for the bad things. We all get used to the things we eat regularly so find them nice that is why it is so hard to change and diet, creatures of habit. A lot of schools for infants at least won't allow them to take unhealthy foods in their lunch boxes ie biscuits cakes etc, thank goodness I have left school now lol.

By *ighty_tightyMan  over a year ago

Norfolk/Suffolk

It's that so called 'occasional treat' that is the beginning of corrupting the young minds "

What was the occasional treat that has turned you into this?

"Got to start on the correct things at the commencement of weaning so they don't get a taste for the bad things. We all get used to the things we eat regularly so find them nice that is why it is so hard to change and diet, creatures of habit. A lot of schools for infants at least won't allow them to take unhealthy foods in their lunch boxes ie biscuits cakes etc, thank goodness I have left school now lol. "

How can any right minded parents put cakes and biscuits in a child's lunch box? Why that's a crime in it's own right. Fresh fruits and cherry tomatoes.

You don't have any "little ones" do you? You just got bored of using workmates for bait.

By *ryan...Man  over a year ago

1950's Original

An easy way to get children to eat

is to put the food on a spoon and say " here comes the choo-choo train''.....

if they still won't eat then don't untie ' em from the train tracks....hope this helps

Liverpool

"Got to start on the correct things at the commencement of weaning so they don't get a taste for the bad things. We all get used to the things we eat regularly so find them nice that is why it is so hard to change and diet, creatures of habit. A lot of schools for infants at least won't allow them to take unhealthy foods in their lunch boxes ie biscuits cakes etc, thank goodness I have left school now lol. "

It's a wonder we're not all stuck on diets of baby food and petit filous.

Leeds

"Fresh fruits and cherry tomatoes. "

Have you considered this for your own packed lunch, rather than a tin of cold soup ?

East London

"Got to start on the correct things at the commencement of weaning so they don't get a taste for the bad things. We all get used to the things we eat regularly so find them nice that is why it is so hard to change and diet, creatures of habit. A lot of schools for infants at least won't allow them to take unhealthy foods in their lunch boxes ie biscuits cakes etc, thank goodness I have left school now lol.

How can any right minded parents put cakes and biscuits in a child's lunch box? Why that's a crime in it's own right. Fresh fruits and cherry tomatoes. "

What if they're like your children who don't eat fruit

Liverpool

Yep. My remaining grandparent is 96 and my dad tells me how she used to eat sugar sandwiches and whipped cream straight from the bowl. My grandparents on the other side were a bit younger but ate a lot of cakes and boiled sweets.

Some people can getaway with a unhealthy diet. But as a general rule 'what you eat is what you are' physically that is. "

This was no a suggestion to eat that way. It was adding to the comment about whether previous generations ate healthier and my experience is that they did not.

So each to there own

Do you worry about scurvy "

I’m in my 50s so it’s not a worry

The kids aren’t buying macies themselves are they? Like most things it’s starts from home.

So each to there own

Is it the texture or taste you don't like? We had a half split on barley when my kids were all at home, so I used to boil it separately then add it to my stews once I dished up the non-barley eaters' dinners.

"

It’s both I don’t eat stews soups or curry’s etc either

Some people can getaway with a unhealthy diet. But as a general rule 'what you eat is what you are' physically that is.

This was no a suggestion to eat that way. It was adding to the comment about whether previous generations ate healthier and my experience is that they did not. "

Maybe the previous generation got away with eating unhealthy because they made up for all the excess energy(fat and sugar) because back then people weren't glued to modern technology but actually were more active in their life style. Look at kids these days. It's home from school and straight onto the computers.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

We’ve managed to find 4 meals he enjoys and we just rotate them and he gets a treat on weekends. He’s getting better at trying things now so hopefully he’ll grow out of it completely."

Our son did. I never forget the day I sat opposite him while he ate a bowl of moules marinière.

North West

"An easy way to get children to eat

if they still won't eat then don't untie ' em from the train tracks....hope this helps "

e

Liverpool

This was no a suggestion to eat that way. It was adding to the comment about whether previous generations ate healthier and my experience is that they did not.

Maybe the previous generation got away with eating unhealthy because they made up for all the excess energy(fat and sugar) because back then people weren't glued to modern technology but actually were more active in their life style. Look at kids these days. It's home from school and straight onto the computers. "

My nan was a housewife who couldn't cook and my grandad also employed a cleaner to come in every day . I love my nan but I would never describe her as active.

By *usie pTV/TS  over a year ago

taunton

I expect there are many children in the world some places that would love the opportunity to eat fruit and veg.

By *EAT..85Woman  over a year ago

Nottingham

Do you actually have kids?

Mine enjoy a macdonalds and other takeaways for that matter on occasion.

But they also eat plenty of fruit and veg and a reasonably balanced diet. Because that's the work I'VE put into raising them. Take responsibility for your own kids diets.

Educating people properly rather than baking scones/pizza/cookies (actually my daughter's July line up for food tech!!!) Would help with basic diet understanding.

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

Have a day off Toan, as long as you're not eating it everyday.

Makes sense.

"An easy way to get children to eat

if they still won't eat then don't untie ' em from the train tracks....hope this helps "

By *ersiantugMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

I don't really care what anybody else thinks but when he was a kid it didn't stop random people from giving me their advice. This included quite seriously suggesting that I 'starve him into eating'. "

---I was like that apparently. My parents were so afraid of disrupting my miserable appetite they used to let me eat with my hands. So I literally ate like a feral animal till I was about 7 I think. It wasn't good food though sadly, and it was the 1970's too. I was so skinny! As a teen I developed a massive metabolism, yet even-now I rarely put on any weight. Don't get me wrong, I will stuff my guts on occasions and look like I swallowed a dinner gong - but give me a day to two and it's gone. I only get it around the middle you see, the rest of me is as thin as a lamb. That must have come from my childhood. ---pt

By *ersiantugMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

The eating habits of the older generation are not as healthy as people assume. My Dad will be 83 next week. He refuses to eat "rabbit food" aka salad. He likes to drink Bovril (loaded with salt) and eats cheese and biscuits with his (considerable volume of) red wine. Yet, he's managed to make it this far. "

--The biggest factors in out longevity are;

a) our individual genetic makeup (not necessarily inherited)

b) stress avoidance (as stress is such a killer)

c) how well we eat above the average diet

What we eat gives us a huge advantage in fighting things off though! The verdict is out on exactly how much fruit/fibre and vegetables help us live longer in-and-of-themselves, but it's when we are in trouble that they factor most. And the odds are reasonable that we will encounter problems in our lives, esp if we inhale pollutants, or drink and smoke etc. So it makes sense to eat well too.

My old dad (gone now) was told by doctors that what he ate when he was a kid effected his need for a heart bi-pass around the age of 60. He really did grow up with nothing in the 1920's. Not to copy his own dad, he never drank or smoked, but unfortunately he never ate particular well either, or bought particularly good food (only much later in life). Ultimately he nearly paid the price. He had a good operation though (as it happened early enough), and lived into his 80's in the end. He was a cheery sort over-all, which probably helped him too. --pt

North West

^^^Re: the above, my Dad comes from an especially long lived family line. His parents were 84 and 90 at their deaths. His maternal Grandfather was mid-80s and his mother (born in the 1830s) lived to be over 80, despite giving birth to around 20 children in total. I can't comment accurately on the longevity of my Great Grandfather's siblings because unfortunately the Holocaust came along and they did not all have the opportunity for a full lifespan.

Basically, my Dad is probably going to make it to 90, which considering his rapidly advancing dementia, is possibly not a wonderful thing really

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

No! People should be responsible parents that’s what needs to happen. Not taking everyone else’s choices and treats away because some parents give in to everything!

"No! People should be responsible parents that’s what needs to happen. Not taking everyone else’s choices and treats away because some parents give in to everything! "

Nora once again you are soooo right. As adults we should all take full responsibilities for the little ones health.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"No! People should be responsible parents that’s what needs to happen. Not taking everyone else’s choices and treats away because some parents give in to everything! "

I agree. I already pay a premium for the one bottle of full fat cola I buy a year. Unfortunately all the education and advice in the world doesn't change habits unless it's accompanied by financial incentives.

ashford

"Got to start on the correct things at the commencement of weaning so they don't get a taste for the bad things. We all get used to the things we eat regularly so find them nice that is why it is so hard to change and diet, creatures of habit. A lot of schools for infants at least won't allow them to take unhealthy foods in their lunch boxes ie biscuits cakes etc, thank goodness I have left school now lol.

How can any right minded parents put cakes and biscuits in a child's lunch box? Why that's a crime in it's own right. Fresh fruits and cherry tomatoes. "

Ohh dear! They need flogging!! Face palm !

How can any right minded parents put cakes and biscuits in a child's lunch box? Why that's a crime in it's own right. Fresh fruits and cherry tomatoes.

Ohh dear! They need flogging!! Face palm ! "

They need a lot more than flogging for this crime!

ashford

They need a lot more than flogging for this crime! "

Pmsl! X

"Do you think they should tax chocolate heavily?

Honestly? Well chocolates should be made with low fat and sugar sugar that is good for your teeth. Otherwise yes it should be taxed just like alcohol and tobaccos. "

I think you just come on here to get peoples backs up - you love an argument then leave when it does above your head

By *jorkishMan  over a year ago

Seaforth

For someone trying to look as if you care about what children eat you certainly came across as callous and cruel in that comment..

Uncalled for.."

By *RANDMRSJAECouple  over a year ago

chester

They need a lot more than flogging for this crime! "

Must be a blast at parties

Must be a blast at parties "

I don’t think he gets invited to parties.

By *RANDMRSJAECouple  over a year ago

chester

I don’t think he gets invited to parties."

Not if there’s no cherry tomatoes!

I don’t think he gets invited to parties.

Not if there’s no cherry tomatoes! "

I'm sure you can pick some on the way.

By *icolerobbieCouple  over a year ago

walsall

No food should ever be taxed.

That is all.

I concur

By *echnosonic_BrummieMan  over a year ago

Willenhall

"Trying to get the little ones to eat their fruit and veg has to be one of the biggest challenges in life. Why the little buggers would rather have a greasy Mcdonalds."

Take them to Mickey D's, let them have whatever they want off the menu. Most importantly, do not order anything for yourself. When asked why you're not ordering anything for yourself just smile and say "enjoy".

Then, when they ask what's wrong with it...

» Add a new message to this topic