FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Christmas (again)

Christmas (again)

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *iamondsmiles. OP   Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Im inviting an old/lonely person for christmas dinner. I have to go to the wednesday club to get to know them first.

Its the first year ive done it although ive been saying it for along while.

Has anyone else done it and how did it go. Thought id have them here between about 12-4

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

i think thats really good of you.

a lot of people are alone at christmas

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman  over a year ago

Deviant City

"Im inviting an old/lonely person for christmas dinner. I have to go to the wednesday club to get to know them first.

Its the first year ive done it although ive been saying it for along while.

Has anyone else done it and how did it go. Thought id have them here between about 12-4"

what a lovely, thoughtful idea.

Thanks, but i just want to know if anyone else has done it. Guess they might just have a sherry and sleep all afternoon well thats what im hoping lol

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

yep, where I lived before. Did meet them a few times and had them round for cuppa and cake in early December before having them for Christmas dinner. It was lovely and my kids really liked it, too.

By *ackandkateCouple  over a year ago

Truro

told the mother in law, "No fucking way"

"Thanks, but i just want to know if anyone else has done it. Guess they might just have a sherry and sleep all afternoon well thats what im hoping lol"
I d say that elderly people tend not to eat anywhere near as much as young people so portions should be smaller with the option of second helpings. Sherry? Good idea but check with their medication (I did and found that 2 should not have any alcohol!).

It was a really good experience and I will do it again. Not this year but maybe next.

"told the mother in law, "No fucking way" "

only thing i can relate to is when my grand parents would come over for christmas.

feed them, put on a party hat and fall asleep in front of the queen.

im sure they will be very happy your thinking of them. such a gem.

"Thanks, but i just want to know if anyone else has done it. Guess they might just have a sherry and sleep all afternoon well thats what im hoping lolI d say that elderly people tend not to eat anywhere near as much as young people so portions should be smaller with the option of second helpings. Sherry? Good idea but check with their medication (I did and found that 2 should not have any alcohol!).

It was a really good experience and I will do it again. Not this year but maybe next. "

Not sure if they will be elderly or just lonely as some just want to stay at home, i got loads of vouchers for my shopping and there is only going to be three of us for dinner, so it sounds practical to me, but as long as they dont expect the best cutlery and china they will be ok lol

That's such a lovely thoughtful thing to do

"Thanks, but i just want to know if anyone else has done it. Guess they might just have a sherry and sleep all afternoon well thats what im hoping lolI d say that elderly people tend not to eat anywhere near as much as young people so portions should be smaller with the option of second helpings. Sherry? Good idea but check with their medication (I did and found that 2 should not have any alcohol!).

It was a really good experience and I will do it again. Not this year but maybe next.

Not sure if they will be elderly or just lonely as some just want to stay at home, i got loads of vouchers for my shopping and there is only going to be three of us for dinner, so it sounds practical to me, but as long as they dont expect the best cutlery and china they will be ok lol"

Ah ok, mine came from a pensioners' home (That sounds awful I know... but it just happened to be place I had contact with) and so they were all over 70 years, one was nearly 100.

In your case I would just say one thing (and I think the idea is really great) Christmas may bring up all sorts of unexpected emotional responses in them - just be prepared that it MAY not all be happy for them. (One of mine was quite tearful that her own children had not bothered as she put it.)

By *obandruthCouple  over a year ago

wolverhampton

What a great idea, I think I may investigate this for my home at Christmas

i think most people who are alone this christmas wouldnt care about the cutlery or things like that.

that you giving up your time and home for them will be more than enough.

its rare i think in these tough times anyone would consider it.

Not sure if they will be elderly or just lonely as some just want to stay at home, i got loads of vouchers for my shopping and there is only going to be three of us for dinner, so it sounds practical to me, but as long as they dont expect the best cutlery and china they will be ok lolAh ok, mine came from a pensioners' home (That sounds awful I know... but it just happened to be place I had contact with) and so they were all over 70 years, one was nearly 100.

In your case I would just say one thing (and I think the idea is really great) Christmas may bring up all sorts of unexpected emotional responses in them - just be prepared that it MAY not all be happy for them. (One of mine was quite tearful that her own children had not bothered as she put it.)"

I do actually have someone in mind, but its whether they will want to come or not. I think they should be the ones that want to come to me, wouldnt want anyone to feel uncomfortable

Not sure if they will be elderly or just lonely as some just want to stay at home, i got loads of vouchers for my shopping and there is only going to be three of us for dinner, so it sounds practical to me, but as long as they dont expect the best cutlery and china they will be ok lolAh ok, mine came from a pensioners' home (That sounds awful I know... but it just happened to be place I had contact with) and so they were all over 70 years, one was nearly 100.

In your case I would just say one thing (and I think the idea is really great) Christmas may bring up all sorts of unexpected emotional responses in them - just be prepared that it MAY not all be happy for them. (One of mine was quite tearful that her own children had not bothered as she put it.)"

I do actually have someone in mind, but its whether they will want to come or not. I think they should be the ones that want to come to me, wouldnt want anyone to feel uncomfortable

"i think most people who are alone this christmas wouldnt care about the cutlery or things like that.

that you giving up your time and home for them will be more than enough.

its rare i think in these tough times anyone would consider it."

See that surprises me, lots of people on their own at christmas, if i could and lived near one id go to a homeless shelter and help out but we dont have any near us

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

I am choosing to spend Christmas alone this year, 1st time and my choice.....

can't bloody wait actually

By *aris23Woman  over a year ago

France

I have in the past often spent the day at an organised community event for the homeless and lonely...mainly because I'm not a fan of christmas and it felt good to do something traditional in the company of total strangers. Now I have a little one again I find I'm struggling to find any enthusiasm for Christmas

By *ackandkateCouple  over a year ago

Truro

Right, serious head on ......

We invited one of our neighbours round last year, but he didn't accept the invite.

I do a bit of DIY for him and always ask if he's ok, but he's very protecting of his independence.

One of Kate's friends has joined us the last two Christmases, but she's not an oldie, but she does live on her own.

See I'm not a baddie really

By *ub bbwWoman  over a year ago

oldbury

I have been alone the last 2 years on Christmas day but this year I have friends who aren't taking no for an answer. I think its lovely that people will open up their homes to people who would otherwise be alone at this time of year. I might consider doing something next year for someone in need.

» Add a new message to this topic