FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Should every adult know CPR?

Should every adult know CPR?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *litterbabe OP   Woman  over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

It occurred to me that it has been quite a long time since I've refreshed my CPR training and I don't feel at all confident if a situation arose where I would need it.

I will of course be looking into how to change that. Do you think every adult should know CPR?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

No not everyone wants to live forever

By *valanche1001Man  over a year ago

Leeds

Absolutely! It’s a life skill. Most people would like to help someone if the situation arose but without regular training on what to do a lot of people will simply not try due to panic or for fear of making things worse - if the patient’s heart is not beating anything you do is unlikely to make things worse

By * and R cple4Couple  over a year ago

swansea

"It occurred to me that it has been quite a long time since I've refreshed my CPR training and I don't feel at all confident if a situation arose where I would need it.

I will of course be looking into how to change that. Do you think every adult should know CPR?

"

I definitely think all adults should at least know the basics .

.I think the younger generation get taught it a lot more my son has just had a baby and him and his gf have been taught cpr and what to do if your child swallows something they shouldn’t .We weren’t taught any of that and I think it’s a great idea x

By *ill1966Man  over a year ago

swindon

Yes, yes, yes, as a metal Mickey with heart number 2,,, maybe I’m biased

It has always baffled me why First Aid isn't taught as standard in schools. With the intention that training get kept up.

Ok, it might be a logistical step too far to train and/or refresh the entire adult population but, as the saying goes, the more the merrier.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"It occurred to me that it has been quite a long time since I've refreshed my CPR training and I don't feel at all confident if a situation arose where I would need it.

"

Yes and children too. Should be taught at schools.

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan  over a year ago

Aylesbury

"No not everyone wants to live forever "

True say, true say

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

I learnt it but I wouldn't be able to administer it properly now.

I'd have a go in an emergency though.

Tin town

"No not everyone wants to live forever "

Irene cara does

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

There are people that aren’t able to learn CPR for various reasons though….

J x

Absolutely we should.

I would hate the thought of someone needing in the street and not being able to help … yes cpr is a scary thought and esp if need to do but adrenaline kicks in.

swindon

Yo bruv, everybody should know this basic, stuff, it’s the BeeGees rhythm, staying alive, that’s the basic beat

Yes and children too. Should be taught at schools. "

By *angerous123Man  over a year ago

Leeds

Yes it should be taught in schools

swindon

Yo bruv, everybody

A should know this basic, stuff, it’s the BeeGees rhythm, staying alive, that’s the basic beat

Yes and children too. Should be taught at schools. "

should be taught to everyone, it’s a possible life saver

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

I haven't done a refresher in ages and wouldn't be confident anymore. I should rectify that

By *litterbabe OP   Woman  over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

It seems like it would be quite an easy thing to teach at schools, if a course was done and refreshed maybe even just one day a year it could potentially save lives.

By *he love catsCouple  over a year ago

South Wales

We refresh every 3 year's.

It's definitely a valuable skillset, and courses should be more accessible I guess, although some people tend not to have enough confidence, or freeze up in situations where seconds and minutes count.

By *ogan WillowCouple  over a year ago

Leeds

300,000 people in Sweden are trained in CPR, and mass training takes place in schools and workplaces – which is how 70% of people who suffer out-of hospital SCAs are given CPR.

Education and awareness, along with the widespread provision of defibrillators would ensure more lives could be saved in the UK.

Tin town

You could add to that.. How to find, access and use a defib. There's quite a few dotted around now and I bet most wouldn't know what to do in an emergency. Or even if battery's have life in them

By *xploring2getherCouple  over a year ago

Desborough

When I did my refresher Emergency First Aid at Work course we were told that statistically most casualties requiring CPR unfortunately never make it.

If you made no attempt to perform CPR or didn't know what to do to help the casualty then the casualty would die and you would have that on your conscience. However if you attempted CPR and they didn't make it you could at least console yourself that you did everything possible that you could do. And that's why learning CPR was such a vital skill.

"There are people that aren’t able to learn CPR for various reasons though….

J x"

Such as? Even disabled people can learn it.

By *i_guy_sloughMan  over a year ago

Langley

Of all the inane rubbish they inflict on kids at school I’m shocked that basic first aid isn’t a requirement on the curriculum.

By *i_guy_sloughMan  over a year ago

Langley

Just to add I have been first aid at work trained since 2001, I am AED trained and I am a Mental Health First Aider.

By *9alMan  over a year ago

Bridgend

I have regular refresher training in CPR from work. its a long time since I was at school but am amazed it is not taught in schools now,

By *urvyBi-84Man  over a year ago

Lancs

J x

Such as? Even disabled people can learn it."

Such as mobility issues that make it hard or impossible to 1) kneel down next to the patient, 2) perform the compressions with enough force or 3) maintain the compressions for an extended time.

That being said I agree it should be taught to everyone and AEDs should be located as frequently as possible.

By *weetCruellaWoman  over a year ago

somewhere sweet and sour

I have done both adult and child first aid training... just hope I remember it, if it was ever arise. But there are 2 apps ... what 3 words, where if you were to call emergancy services you can give them the 3 words and its a exact location... amazing stuff I think. Also there's an app called save a life... which lets you know where the nearest defibrillator is located. Inside each defib is amazing simple instructions on how to use it.

I do think more people should learn basic first aid, but obv I know there may be restrictions in some cases... but what a feeling knowing you may help save a life.

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

J x

Such as? Even disabled people can learn it."

My nephew has learning disabilities. He wouldn’t be able to retain the information. Plus what if he tried & did something wrong that affected the person he was trying to resuscitate? Would he be held accountable for his actions?

We were taught as children through Brownies & Scouts & I did a course through work many years ago but I’d be very rusty now. Might see what’s online for a refresher

J x

By *jorkishMan  over a year ago

Seaforth

Yes if physically able to. Don't really understand why anyone wouldn't want to

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Yes

By *ily WhiteWoman  over a year ago

?

I think as many people as possible should be taught basic first aid and CPR. I'd like to think that if I ever needed it there would be someone around that at least had a basic understanding of what to do.

By *ooking4othersMan  over a year ago

Here ...

"You could add to that.. How to find, access and use a defib. There's quite a few dotted around now and I bet most wouldn't know what to do in an emergency. Or even if battery's have life in them "

The machines dotted around provide instructions and are monitored remotely for battery life etc.

J x

Such as mobility issues that make it hard or impossible to 1) kneel down next to the patient, 2) perform the compressions with enough force or 3) maintain the compressions for an extended time.

That being said I agree it should be taught to everyone and AEDs should be located as frequently as possible. "

I have mobility issues, and such I cannot kneel down next to the patient, but I have been taught how to give compressions that will give the force needed.

Also just because if disabled you can’t get down to the patient, if there is someone else there you can tell that person what they need to know or if alone, do what I was taught. There is always a way.

J x

My nephew has learning disabilities. He wouldn’t be able to retain the information. Plus what if he tried & did something wrong that affected the person he was trying to resuscitate? Would he be held accountable for his actions?

We were taught as children through Brownies & Scouts & I did a course through work many years ago but I’d be very rusty now. Might see what’s online for a refresher

J x"

Ok maybe I should have said physically disabled.

I agree that if someone has a learning disability they may not be able to learn how to give CPR, but if they know how to use a phone, they could still dial 999, it depends on their severity of the disability

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

Many people, including the famous actor, Clark Gable, have died of cardiac arrest, whilst on the job!

It would have been of benefit if their conquests had received CPR training.

Schools impart a colossal amount of utterly useless data and information that purports to be beneficial.

CPR training is a useful skill to possess and should be included on the national curriculum; as should relationship red flag awareness.

J x

J x"

Definitely do a refresher as there’s things that are now outdated and not taught now.

By *oo..Woman  over a year ago

Boo's World

Everyone should know the basics I think personally, my two eldest kids at 13 and 10 have been taught some already via visitors into their school, which I thought was a good idea.

By *rMrs_CCouple  over a year ago

Plymouth

"

As someone who works in the Ambulance Service I wish not only did people know, but also how to do it effectively and know if someone is ACTUALLY not breathing.

The amount of times I've seen poor people twitching and screwing their eyes up as someone is jumping on their chest is too many!

As someone who works in the Ambulance Service I wish not only did people know, but also how to do it effectively and know if someone is ACTUALLY not breathing.

The amount of times I've seen poor people twitching and screwing their eyes up as someone is jumping on their chest is too many!"

Obviously they don’t know how to check for breathing.

By *oeBeansMan  over a year ago

Derby

It's so important, but it definitely needs the right personality to apply it imo. I had CPR an defib training provided by my cricket club last year and the only thing I could think was what I'm in the that situation and I freeze up. It's a fucking scary thing realising you hold the information that could save a person's life.

By *ovelifelovefuntimesMan  over a year ago

Where ever I lay my hat

Had to administer this yesterday and was grateful for my first aid training. 15 mins between collapse and paramedics arriving and there was a rhythm capable of being shocked so it gave the guy a chance, but after 25 mins more intensive work from the experts sadly he didn't make it. RIP.

"But there are 2 apps ... what 3 words, where if you were to call emergancy services you can give them the 3 words and its a exact location... amazing stuff I think."

Yes “what 3words” should be installed on every mobile phone by default.

I have used it many times, both requesting help and responding. It’s a real time / life saver, especially in remote areas or areas you don’t know.

Going back to the original question, yes as many people as possible should learn CPR.

However it needs to be borne in mind the, done properly, CPR is brutal and it can result in broken ribs and / or sternum. So it can be traumatic for both the recipient and giver.

Doing it on a human is not the same as on a resus Annie.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

It was drummed into us when I was in the Sea Cadets, everytime you went up a rating you neefed to know more first aid information.

Yet, it was never taught in schools.

Where ever I lay my hat

"But there are 2 apps ... what 3 words, where if you were to call emergancy services you can give them the 3 words and its a exact location... amazing stuff I think.

I have used it many times, both requesting help and responding. It’s a real time / life saver, especially in remote areas or areas you don’t know.

Going back to the original question, yes as many people as possible should learn CPR.

However it needs to be borne in mind the, done properly, CPR is brutal and it can result in broken ribs and / or sternum. So it can be traumatic for both the recipient and giver.

Doing it on a human is not the same as on a resus Annie."

Pretty certain I broke some ribs, as you say it needs to be quite brutal. Another guy gave me a break but after 2 or 3 compressions I knew he wasn't applying enough pressure so took over again. Paramedics said I'd done a great job but sadly not enough. I guess we all have our expiry date.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I think it’s much more important young people learn about clearing the airwaves and recovery position, and spotting signs of risk of suicide, this would save countless more young peoples live. Reality is most people who need CPR will die whether they get it or not

Dubai & Nottingham

"But there are 2 apps ... what 3 words, where if you were to call emergancy services you can give them the 3 words and its a exact location... amazing stuff I think.

Pretty certain I broke some ribs, as you say it needs to be quite brutal. Another guy gave me a break but after 2 or 3 compressions I knew he wasn't applying enough pressure so took over again. Paramedics said I'd done a great job but sadly not enough. I guess we all have our expiry date."

We were told doing it on Annie is fairly realistic in terms of pressure & that you shouldn’t need to break ribs ??!

"I have done both adult and child first aid training... just hope I remember it, if it was ever arise. But there are 2 apps ... what 3 words, where if you were to call emergancy services you can give them the 3 words and its a exact location... amazing stuff I think. Also there's an app called save a life... which lets you know where the nearest defibrillator is located. Inside each defib is amazing simple instructions on how to use it.

I do think more people should learn basic first aid, but obv I know there may be restrictions in some cases... but what a feeling knowing you may help save a life. "

Those two apps are brilliant. Great advice. If only more people knew about them, especially the defib one.

Access to a defib increases the patients chances of survival.

Quite a few people will have been taught CPR in the past.

But its forever being changed and updated, as is first aid.

Some will remember the 5 chest compressions to 1 breath.

(Or 15 to 2 if on your own).

Its now 30 to 2, whether on your own or with others.

With Covid, CPR face masks are advised.

Or, no breaths at all. Chest compressions are taught as the most important.

Ive done CPR on multiple casualties, (the youngest being 14months old).

Unfortunately out of all of them, only 2 survived.

But as more and more businesses, bus/train stations, emergency services now have them, hopefully the number of lives saved will increase

"When I did my refresher Emergency First Aid at Work course we were told that statistically most casualties requiring CPR unfortunately never make it.

If you made no attempt to perform CPR or didn't know what to do to help the casualty then the casualty would die and you would have that on your conscience. However if you attempted CPR and they didn't make it you could at least console yourself that you did everything possible that you could do. And that's why learning CPR was such a vital skill."

Not had a course for decades l had to use what a learned a couple of yrs back ,the person did not survive but the paramedics said l did fine ,in the panic it came back to me , most people were glad l tried, so am l ,the op's post right in my view.

Pretty certain I broke some ribs, as you say it needs to be quite brutal. Another guy gave me a break but after 2 or 3 compressions I knew he wasn't applying enough pressure so took over again. Paramedics said I'd done a great job but sadly not enough. I guess we all have our expiry date.

We were told doing it on Annie is fairly realistic in terms of pressure & that you shouldn’t need to break ribs ??! "

There’s not a “need” to break ribs but when doing CPR on the elderly it’s almost inevitable.

Definitely

Where ever I lay my hat

We were told doing it on Annie is fairly realistic in terms of pressure & that you shouldn’t need to break ribs ??! "

He was 88, and we were at it for 15 minutes. Apparently its quite common. Anyhow, academic now, we did our best. Paramedics had a machine doing it which was massive pressure.

By *ed MartinMan  over a year ago

Shefford

"

Early Bystander CPR has a statistically proven benefit in increasing the odds of surviving a cardiac event, second only to early defibrillation in importance. A refresher course will certainly help give you confidence you’re doing things correctly, but the ambulance service call handler will also coach you through what and how to do it if the worst should ever happen.

"I have done both adult and child first aid training... just hope I remember it, if it was ever arise. But there are 2 apps ... what 3 words, where if you were to call emergancy services you can give them the 3 words and its a exact location... amazing stuff I think. Also there's an app called save a life... which lets you know where the nearest defibrillator is located. Inside each defib is amazing simple instructions on how to use it.

I do think more people should learn basic first aid, but obv I know there may be restrictions in some cases... but what a feeling knowing you may help save a life.

Those two apps are brilliant. Great advice. If only more people knew about them, especially the defib one.

Access to a defib increases the patients chances of survival.

Quite a few people will have been taught CPR in the past.

But its forever being changed and updated, as is first aid.

Some will remember the 5 chest compressions to 1 breath.

(Or 15 to 2 if on your own).

Its now 30 to 2, whether on your own or with others.

With Covid, CPR face masks are advised.

Or, no breaths at all. Chest compressions are taught as the most important.

Ive done CPR on multiple casualties, (the youngest being 14months old).

Unfortunately out of all of them, only 2 survived.

But as more and more businesses, bus/train stations, emergency services now have them, hopefully the number of lives saved will increase

"

As you say compressions are the priority.

I would only ever consider doing “mouth to mouth” with close family members or a close friend, even then I would think twice. I would only do the breaths on an adult using a BVM or other adjunct.

I carry an AED and resuscitation kit in my car, fortunately have never needed to use either.

By *orthern StarsCouple  over a year ago

Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

Yes absolutely. We were also thinking of buying a defibrillator because if something happens where we live, we don't stand any chance. One downside of country living.

"

Id disagree. Annie shows you the basics, especially the ideal depth of the compressions, checking airways, and doing the chin lift/spine stretch.

But nothing like real life.

And we've always been told if you hear the ribs crack, you are doing it right.

The only time ive never cracked ribs was when performing CPR toddlers (thankfully ive never had to do it on a baby).

The LAS (London Ambulance Service) have a machine that does chest compressions for them (i cant remember its correct name).

Watching that thing work is brutal. The rib cage really does take a battering.

"

The LAS (London Ambulance Service) have a machine that does chest compressions for them (i cant remember its correct name).

Watching that thing work is brutal. The rib cage really does take a battering."

It’s either a LUCAS or AutoPulse not sure which one LAS use

"

Watching that thing work is brutal. The rib cage really does take a battering.

It’s either a LUCAS or AutoPulse not sure which one LAS use"

Ive never actually asked. I will next time im working with them....if its appropriate

By *ohn KanakaMan  over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

"

We were told doing it on Annie is fairly realistic in terms of pressure & that you shouldn’t need to break ribs ??!

Id disagree. Annie shows you the basics, especially the ideal depth of the compressions, checking airways, and doing the chin lift/spine stretch.

The only time ive never cracked ribs was when performing CPR toddlers (thankfully ive never had to do it on a baby).

But it keeps people 'alive' indefinitely. The fact they xan now transport someone to hospital and perform a cardio- angiogram with CPR on going is phenomenonal.

By *ohn KanakaMan  over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

Everyone should be taught to do CPR abd every public building should be legally required to have a defib

It's proven this massively increases the chances of survival when done suffers a reversible cardiac arrest

By *himeraSteveMan  over a year ago

St Budeaux,Plymouth

Absolutely ! In my opinion First Aid should be taught in schools, just imagine the difference that could be made if everyone could potentially safe a life

Yes absolutely, the council in my area run free classes for people

By *m3232Man  over a year ago

maidenhead

Yes. Also reminds me to get a refresher done.

By *nabelle21Woman  over a year ago

B38

I think so

Absolutely, when it come to bystander CPR we are worst performing developed country. Early hands on and early first shock are paramount to survival. Don’t fear getting hands on and push! At the end of the day, for every second that passes the patient is dead, you cannot hurt them and anything to reverse that is helpful!

Tin town

Cpr and first aid...

Given our ambulances and nhs at the moment. It might save someone's life.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

"

Only if they can mental deal with the out come..

Hastings

"Absolutely! It’s a life skill. Most people would like to help someone if the situation arose but without regular training on what to do a lot of people will simply not try due to panic or for fear of making things worse - if the patient’s heart is not beating anything you do is unlikely to make things worse"

mmm

Where ever I lay my hat

Only if they can mental deal with the out come.."

I've heard it described as fight or flight. Even though you have received some training many people don't implement it at the point of need. It's a scary situation when you are faced with it.

By *ightkitty4uWoman  over a year ago

Epsom

Should be taught on schools along with swimming

Both life skills

I had to do an intense first aider course for work, feel more confident than any one day course I’ve done prior.

Also have to do yearly tests/exams.

I whole heartedly feel confident to help someone on need until the professionals arrive

By *opinovMan  over a year ago

Point Nemo, Cumbria

Simple... yes.

By *isaB45Woman  over a year ago

Fabville

Children know how to do CPR.

Why shouldn't adults?

Yes and so should teenagers, we are seeing defibrillator machines popping up everywhere, but what if we don’t know how to use them?

"

I was an advanced first aider.

Every time I went on refresher training the procedure for CPR had changed.

Where ever I lay my hat

"Should be taught on schools along with swimming

Both life skills

I had to do an intense first aider course for work, feel more confident than any one day course I’ve done prior.

I whole heartedly feel confident to help someone on need until the professionals arrive "

I was surprised at how many people froze or behaved really strangely yesterday. Not a criticism at all, just an observation that even those with some first aid training didn't deal at all with a real life situation

A simple yes.

"Yes and so should teenagers, we are seeing defibrillator machines popping up everywhere, but what if we don’t know how to use them? "

You simply follow the instructions, not only written instructions but the machine Also talks you through it and tells you when to stand clear.

Both life skills

I whole heartedly feel confident to help someone on need until the professionals arrive

I was surprised at how many people froze or behaved really strangely yesterday. Not a criticism at all, just an observation that even those with some first aid training didn't deal at all with a real life situation "

4 fs stress response

Most people’s first response is freeze

"Yes and so should teenagers, we are seeing defibrillator machines popping up everywhere, but what if we don’t know how to use them? "

They are designed for people who don’t know how to use them. There’s also a video demo from St. John’s ambulance on YouTube which is pretty good if you want to have a look

But it basically does all the work for you. What it can’t do itself, it tells you how to do

Where ever I lay my hat

Both life skills

I was surprised at how many people froze or behaved really strangely yesterday. Not a criticism at all, just an observation that even those with some first aid training didn't deal at all with a real life situation

4 fs stress response

Most people’s first response is freeze "

Totally, I never expected to ever have to use the training but proud I got stuck in. Had a lovely call from the family today thanking me for everything which was a really hard call as I'd do it for anyone.

The good thing is they are incredibly easy to use.

Visual instructions where to place the pads.

Advice to check for piercings or possible heart surgery.

Then it talks you through it....even providing a tempo for the chest compressions.

But, i think most people would like to use a training Defib first.

Unfortunately, at a lot of incidents, especially in the street, a lot of onlookers will give conflicting advice...in a lot of cases from things they've seen on TV.

But i believe still the most important thing is to dial 999.

You'd be surprised how often, despite everyone having mobile phones, no one calls.

Too many people gawking/filming/rubber necking....or assuming someone else must have done it.

By *edDevil5Man  over a year ago

Midlands

1000000% yes

Where ever I lay my hat

That's where the training helped yesterday. Within 10 secs of me realising hebwas unresponsive I got someone to call the ambulance. The call handler also offered advice on CPR.

Hastings

"When I did my refresher Emergency First Aid at Work course we were told that statistically most casualties requiring CPR unfortunately never make it.

If you made no attempt to perform CPR or didn't know what to do to help the casualty then the casualty would die and you would have that on your conscience. However if you attempted CPR and they didn't make it you could at least console yourself that you did everything possible that you could do. And that's why learning CPR was such a vital skill."

So how would you feel if you do the CPR and the person is left with damaged lungs from the broken ribs and is Brain damaged to the point some one has to wipe their back side...

Where ever I lay my hat

If you made no attempt to perform CPR or didn't know what to do to help the casualty then the casualty would die and you would have that on your conscience. However if you attempted CPR and they didn't make it you could at least console yourself that you did everything possible that you could do. And that's why learning CPR was such a vital skill.

So how would you feel if you do the CPR and the person is left with damaged lungs from the broken ribs and is Brain damaged to the point some one has to wipe their back side..."

So do you just let someone die? What if they have a full recovery and lead a great life for years after?

The first thing everyone should do is;

Look and Assess

Make sure you do not put yourself in danger or at risk.

Then if it is safe to do so, call for help and take action

Hastings

[Removed by poster at 07/01/23 20:52:42]

Hastings

So how would you feel if you do the CPR and the person is left with damaged lungs from the broken ribs and is Brain damaged to the point some one has to wipe their back side...

So do you just let someone die? What if they have a full recovery and lead a great life for years after? "

I wish I hadn't don't know if I would do it again.

Strange how every one is saying about defibrillators but how meny people caries a cheep face shield.

By *mma29Couple  over a year ago

wirral

I do the course regularly, thankfully I've never had to use it but I do worry that I won't remember what I've learnt...hopefully I'd just pull it out from somewhere in my brain if needed!

By *REEPALESTINEMan  over a year ago

derby

Yes

"That's where the training helped yesterday. Within 10 secs of me realising hebwas unresponsive I got someone to call the ambulance. The call handler also offered advice on CPR."

Top job, fella.

Im glad the training kicked in, and you kept a cool head.

Where ever I lay my hat

"That's where the training helped yesterday. Within 10 secs of me realising hebwas unresponsive I got someone to call the ambulance. The call handler also offered advice on CPR.

Top job, fella.

Im glad the training kicked in, and you kept a cool head."

cheers, really appreciate that, have to confess to feeling really emotional and upset in the immediate aftermath, but OK now.

Hastings

"That's where the training helped yesterday. Within 10 secs of me realising hebwas unresponsive I got someone to call the ambulance. The call handler also offered advice on CPR."

Top job glad for you it all went well.

Where ever I lay my hat

"That's where the training helped yesterday. Within 10 secs of me realising hebwas unresponsive I got someone to call the ambulance. The call handler also offered advice on CPR.

Top job glad for you it all went well. "

Sadly not enough. He didn't make it. If I'm honest I think he was gone the moment he collapsed, maybe we should have just left it there but you just never know, between me and the paramedics we tried but it was obviously his time, painless, quick and in the middle of having a great time, not a bad way to sign off.

Hastings

Top job glad for you it all went well.

Sorry to hear that ..

Sadly not enough. He didn't make it. If I'm honest I think he was gone the moment he collapsed, maybe we should have just left it there but you just never know, between me and the paramedics we tried but it was obviously his time, painless, quick and in the middle of having a great time, not a bad way to sign off."

Absolutely! CPR and BSL should be taught as standard from Primary age (obviously age appropriate). My own mother, unfortunately passed away at 36 years old from an out of hospital cardiac arrest. I highly doubt effective CPR immediately would have changed the outcome, however, with advances in medicine, I do believe we should all be able to have a go.

I’ve unfortunately had to carry out CPR a number of times in my profession, and it’s not nice, so definitely think we should only be teaching it if we can also offer support/debriefing to individuals after the event.

(Sorry for the long comment, I’m extremely passionate about this, as you can tell)

Mrs

Hastings

"Absolutely! CPR and BSL should be taught as standard from Primary age (obviously age appropriate). My own mother, unfortunately passed away at 36 years old from an out of hospital cardiac arrest. I highly doubt effective CPR immediately would have changed the outcome, however, with advances in medicine, I do believe we should all be able to have a go.

I’ve unfortunately had to carry out CPR a number of times in my profession, and it’s not nice, so definitely think we should only be teaching it if we can also offer support/debriefing to individuals after the event.

(Sorry for the long comment, I’m extremely passionate about this, as you can tell)

Mrs "

Total agree with the support/debriefing to individuals after the event.

But it still amazes me you do an ILS course or CPR training and they don't even give you a 40p face shield for CPR find it hard to believe condoms are free to stop a life but a face shield is not to save one I know it now recommend compression is enough but that depends how long you at it.

The machines are designed for unknowledgable people and will instruct you. There are different sized pads depending on whether it's a child or adult

I have done CPR on a child who went unconcious and not breathing during an epileptic seizure, 5 minutes is a long wait before you administer midazolam and the danger is after you administer it because you aren't allowed to give anymore....You think you won't remember the procedure but you do. I was a mess afterwards, the what ifs float around your head, took me a few days to process the events.

Luckily the child was fine and was back in Nursery the next week.

Where ever I lay my hat

"Absolutely! CPR and BSL should be taught as standard from Primary age (obviously age appropriate). My own mother, unfortunately passed away at 36 years old from an out of hospital cardiac arrest. I highly doubt effective CPR immediately would have changed the outcome, however, with advances in medicine, I do believe we should all be able to have a go.

Mrs

But it still amazes me you do an ILS course or CPR training and they don't even give you a 40p face shield for CPR find it hard to believe condoms are free to stop a life but a face shield is not to save one I know it now recommend compression is enough but that depends how long you at it. "

Without being gruesome there was blood yesterday and also food in the airways but for some reason I didn't even think about it, got the food out and didn't hesitate to do mouth to mouth, maybe easier because I knew him.

Mrs

But it still amazes me you do an ILS course or CPR training and they don't even give you a 40p face shield for CPR find it hard to believe condoms are free to stop a life but a face shield is not to save one I know it now recommend compression is enough but that depends how long you at it. "

Totally agree! Personally, I’ve always had one to hand as always been at work. However, I (obviously) don’t carry one. I may pop one in my handbag as you never know. Or perhaps we should make them available in with AED’s in the locked boxes

"Yes and so should teenagers, we are seeing defibrillator machines popping up everywhere, but what if we don’t know how to use them?

The machines are designed for unknowledgable people and will instruct you. There are different sized pads depending on whether it's a child or adult

I have done CPR on a child who went unconcious and not breathing during an epileptic seizure, 5 minutes is a long wait before you administer midazolam and the danger is after you administer it because you aren't allowed to give anymore....You think you won't remember the procedure but you do. I was a mess afterwards, the what ifs float around your head, took me a few days to process the events.

Luckily the child was fine and was back in Nursery the next week."

Well done and kudos to you.

Hopefully you had support after?

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

I've had 1st training in my teens, as an air cadet.

A friend's younger sister ch0ked on something, so I did the smack on the back treatment and that did the trick. No harm done, felt emotional for a few minutes.

Many years later a neighbour, who I wasn't on best terms with (long story) banged on my door saying her baby had stopped breathing...needles to say I was in there like a shot, going into auto pilot and again the smack on the back treatment was all that was needed, followed by the grateful mum thanking me. "Learn some first aid I told her as, I may be at work next time..."

A few minute later the ambulance crew had arrived: I debriefed them and said "The baby's breathing and she's all yours, the mother doesn't speak much English and really needs to go on a 1st course asap"

My job was done, then it hit me. I wasn't expecting it to.

Job done, I think.

Hastings

Mrs

But it still amazes me you do an ILS course or CPR training and they don't even give you a 40p face shield for CPR find it hard to believe condoms are free to stop a life but a face shield is not to save one I know it now recommend compression is enough but that depends how long you at it.

Totally agree! Personally, I’ve always had one to hand as always been at work. However, I (obviously) don’t carry one. I may pop one in my handbag as you never know. Or perhaps we should make them available in with AED’s in the locked boxes "

So I guess you work in care.

Wife is a nurse she is use to it.

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

So do you just let someone die? What if they have a full recovery and lead a great life for years after? "

You can live with 1 lung and transplants are option.

When, you're dead: you're dead, take that risk and break a rib!

The family will always appreciate effort "I did my best, but I tried", is much better than "Sorry, I didn't bother learning 1st aid".

"

Without being gruesome there was blood yesterday and also food in the airways but for some reason I didn't even think about it, got the food out and didn't hesitate to do mouth to mouth, maybe easier because I knew him."

Nothing really prepares you for the tastes, sounds or smells.....depending on the reason for the CPR.

Blow back from mouth to mouth, the casualty defacating themselves, the casualty being sick, food, the noise of ribs cracking..

So, how would you answer the question above, re Resus Annie being like the real thing?

Genuine enquiry.

Hastings

So do you just let someone die? What if they have a full recovery and lead a great life for years after?

You can live with 1 lung and transplants are option.

When, you're dead: you're dead, take that risk and break a rib!

The family will always appreciate effort "I did my best, but I tried", is much better than "Sorry, I didn't bother learning 1st aid"."

So I guess you do you 3 year ILS and as I have said carry a face shield as trained you might need it.

If the services can't get to you.

Mrs

Totally agree! Personally, I’ve always had one to hand as always been at work. However, I (obviously) don’t carry one. I may pop one in my handbag as you never know. Or perhaps we should make them available in with AED’s in the locked boxes

Wife is a nurse she is use to it."

Yes, for many years! No longer front facing and now office based, but you still never know, a colleague could become ill or a visitor!

Hastings

"

Without being gruesome there was blood yesterday and also food in the airways but for some reason I didn't even think about it, got the food out and didn't hesitate to do mouth to mouth, maybe easier because I knew him.

Nothing really prepares you for the tastes, sounds or smells.....depending on the reason for the CPR.

Blow back from mouth to mouth, the casualty defacating themselves, the casualty being sick, food, the noise of ribs cracking..

So, how would you answer the question above, re Resus Annie being like the real thing?

Genuine enquiry."

Was not my first but at work I'm was asked to go back to being a First Aider but declined.

I'm also now have a DNR in place.

Hastings

Mrs

Wife is a nurse she is use to it.

Yes, for many years! No longer front facing and now office based, but you still never know, a colleague could become ill or a visitor! "

Wife is in Mental Health and even when they cut some one down they have to do CPR until paramedics get there even if they are cold.

"Yes and so should teenagers, we are seeing defibrillator machines popping up everywhere, but what if we don’t know how to use them?

Hopefully you had support after?"

The first night I had gin, despite being a none drinker

2nd day I spent the day writing up the report with my boss which really helped process it. The college offered me counselling but I refused because my boss was so supportive and let me cry when I needed it.

Seeing the little girl again was very emotional. I would do it 100 times over if I needed too

"

"

Im by no means an expert, or qualified medical professional..but i dont think ive ever heard of someone getting brain damage from receiving CPR.

Its usually from not receiving CPR..the brain being denied oxygen

(And medical professionals/ELS instructors, feel free to correct me).

Broken ribs?? Yeah, pretty unavoidable. But never heard of the ribs puncturing lungs (again, feel free to correct me).

Surely its better to do something, than nothing.

"

2nd day I spent the day writing up the report with my boss which really helped process it. The college offered me counselling but I refused because my boss was so supportive and let me cry when I needed it.

Seeing the little girl again was very emotional. I would do it 100 times over if I needed too "

Absolutely brilliant. That is so good to hear. Well done. Its safe to say we are all proud of you.

Doing ELS to a child is especially worrying. There seems to be more urgency...im not sure how to describe it.

But you did it. And the debrief and aftercare was spot on.

And the best bit....you will have so much more confidence in yourself, especially if required to do it again.

"

Im by no means an expert, or qualified medical professional..but i dont think ive ever heard of someone getting brain damage from receiving CPR.

Broken ribs?? Yeah, pretty unavoidable. But never heard of the ribs puncturing lungs (again, feel free to correct me).

"

Correct on the first point.

Theoretically a broken rib could puncture a lung but in all probability it would only be one lobe of one lung which would be the least of the patients worries. It’s not a reason not to do CPR.

"

Theoretically a broken rib could puncture a lung but in all probability it would only be one lobe of one lung which would be the least of the patients worries. It’s not a reason not to do CPR."

Thank you. I wanted to be sure.

"

Seeing the little girl again was very emotional. I would do it 100 times over if I needed too

Absolutely brilliant. That is so good to hear. Well done. Its safe to say we are all proud of you.

Doing ELS to a child is especially worrying. There seems to be more urgency...im not sure how to describe it.

And the best bit....you will have so much more confidence in yourself, especially if required to do it again."

Debriefing is very important, more so for those who don’t normally do CPR (it’s also important for those who do it more regularly, most times I was fine but on a couple of occasions I found it useful, even when it’s been successful)

Certainly when I worked for the ambulance service we made a point of making sure any members of the public who assisted were properly debriefed, not only immediately but we made sure they had follow up support if needed.

"

And the best bit....you will have so much more confidence in yourself, especially if required to do it again."

Thank you, like I say you don't think, instinct and training kicks in, like I say the crucial stage was after I administered the midazolam because there was nothing else I could do other than monitor her breathing which ironically a side effect of midazolam is breathing problems, hence the cpr, my colleague was on the phone to the ambulance crew and they were relaying instructions as well and giving updates on ambulance ETA

I was annoyed with the parents because when they dropped her of that morning, I asked if any medication had been administered to her, they said no.

We called the parents straight after the ambulance and were there when the ambulance crew came, they asked Mum if she had any medicine other than her midazolam and Mum said yes, calpol at 2am for a high temp she should of said so we were aware of the meds and of possible illness which could of been a trigger for the seizure

And yes the aftercare by my employers was spot on.

It's strange now because the little girl makes a beeline for me when she sees me, it's like she knows

And yep, it really has given me confidence in my skills and abilities.

Hastings

"

Theoretically a broken rib could puncture a lung but in all probability it would only be one lobe of one lung which would be the least of the patients worries. It’s not a reason not to do CPR.

Thank you. I wanted to be sure."

It was 10am the guy had a drug indused fit.

Draged him out of a van side of the road.

Seeing the little girl again was very emotional. I would do it 100 times over if I needed too "

I'm so glad you were able to get support from your boss. Support is so important and I don't think people appreciate how much it can be needed.

I've done CPR many times though thank God yet to do so on a child, and where I work we can talk to colleagues and that helps immeasurably.

Don't blame you on the Gin either.

By *hellebelleWoman  over a year ago

ashford

I think it’s a great thing for everyone to have… and I will be eternally grateful to my local B&M store manager who performed CPR on me 2 years ago after I collapsed after suffering a sudden cardiac arrest whilst out shopping… one minute up pushing my trolley and the next, I was gone.

For 20 mins he done what he did whilst waiting for the paramedics… I was clinically dead for a total of 27 mins before the paramedics got me back.

I spent a month in a coma and my prognosis was not good… but miraculously I beat all the odds to wake up and be home within 4 days with just some short term memory loss.

Took 44 years before an unknown heart condition reared it’s ugly head…and I’m just so happy it done so whilst I was out because I live alone and would certainly not be here now if I was at home…. So every cloud and all that!

I'm so glad you were able to get support from your boss. Support is so important and I don't think people appreciate how much it can be needed.

I've done CPR many times though thank God yet to do so on a child, and where I work we can talk to colleagues and that helps immeasurably.

"

I didn't think it would have such an effect but when you wake up in a cold sweat thinking about it before remembering that all is well you realise what an effect it has. I went with it because I knew I had to process and yes colleague support is everything and I know who I would want by my side in a crisis. Stuff like that bonds a team, I'm very lucky x

I didn't think it would have such an effect but when you wake up in a cold sweat thinking about it before remembering that all is well you realise what an effect it has. I went with it because I knew I had to process and yes colleague support is everything and I know who I would want by my side in a crisis. Stuff like that bonds a team, I'm very lucky x

"

Certainly sounds like you have a great team

I always remember the first time I did CPR, a guy collapsed at the end of a run and my colleagues and I were called over.

We got his heart going but not breathing and I travelled to hospital assisting the Para in the back of the the truck. Sadly he died a few days later.

Big debrief after which I was grateful for x

"I think it’s a great thing for everyone to have… and I will be eternally grateful to my local B&M store manager who performed CPR on me 2 years ago after I collapsed after suffering a sudden cardiac arrest whilst out shopping… one minute up pushing my trolley and the next, I was gone.

For 20 mins he done what he did whilst waiting for the paramedics… I was clinically dead for a total of 27 mins before the paramedics got me back.

I spent a month in a coma and my prognosis was not good… but miraculously I beat all the odds to wake up and be home within 4 days with just some short term memory loss.

Took 44 years before an unknown heart condition reared it’s ugly head…and I’m just so happy it done so whilst I was out because I live alone and would certainly not be here now if I was at home…. So every cloud and all that!

"

So pleased someone was there for you when it mattered x

By *ddkkk91Man  over a year ago

fife

I would say...

Or at least everyone should be aware of whats happening and how to help

I have an Emergency First Aid cert. I volunteer for a charity and I need to have this as part of their criteria. However I am disabled myself so could not physically get on the ground and do chest compressions, so I have been taught where I can talk someone else through it, if push came to shove and there was no one around, I’d have to use my foot.

Kids I think should be taught it, even kids as young as five could be taught to assess someone and what number to call for help, or perhaps which neighbour to go too. Anything helps

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

All schoolchildren should receive instruction in what to do, calmly, in any emergency, and CPR should be taught to teenagers onward.

It would be good, but you can't force it.

Dubai & Nottingham

"

Will beat that in mind if ever I need to use it. I think it’s very rare a member of public would need to. But knowing recovery position and checking/ clearing the airways is essential these days with young ones , I’ve done that 4-5 times on kids (not my own!) while waiting for an ambulance.

By *hyblueEyesMan  over a year ago

Daventry

It’s called a Lucas. And yes it’s very brutal and not nice for bystanders to watch. I personally thing every adult AND child should be trained how to do CPR and use an AED; but then I’m biased as I have a vested interest

By *rMrs_CCouple  over a year ago

Plymouth

"

It's called the Luca device. Used 1 today with critical care Dr's. Used for 90 mins. Sadly still not a good outcome.

» Add a new message to this topic