FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Lynch mobs and vigilante justice

Lynch mobs and vigilante justice

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

After reading a few threads on here about Savile, Scofield, the BBC and peado rings, and by this I mean the broad subjects, not linking them in any way, it astounds me how many people would dish out summary justice.

I have to admit that if the Jamie Bulgers killers moved next door and did some shenanighans, I would be there with a burning torch. But when someone is yet to be found guilty in a court of law, and its only rumour and conjecture, how can it be justified to take the law into your own hands?!

Years ago, one of my uncles was a suspect in the death of a child on his estate. Why? Because he was a 50+ year old bachelor, who was an introvert, single and quite a loner. The kids murderer was later found. Potentially, a hate mob could have attacked him and they would have had the wrong man.

Reading some of the posts on here just really scare me

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

Yes, but thankfully those people are not in charge of our legal system.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Yes, but thankfully those people are not in charge of our legal system."
Agreed but they have a vote!!

"Yes, but thankfully those people are not in charge of our legal system.Agreed but they have a vote!!"

And their own papers the Sun and the Mirror.

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

I agree, plus there's a rumour circulating on Facebook about a Morrison's store in Manchester refusing to allow sale or wearing of poppies - some of the comments are more than incendiary - and these are from aquaintances of mine! Someone commented that they'd rung Morrisons Head Office and had a go but the person on the end of the phone had denied the charge, but there were still comments for Morrisons to be boycotted (and that was the milder comments!)

Quite frightening the way Social Networking now helps propagate this sort of scaremongering, but more frightening the amount of folk jump on the "burn the lot of them" bandwagon

"Yes, but thankfully those people are not in charge of our legal system.Agreed but they have a vote!!"

I right to vote does not give you the right to dish out justice as you feel fit!

By *umsuckMan  over a year ago

Gateshead

It has the potential to hinder police enquiries. Very often they have to inter_iew totally innocent people to eliminate them from their inquiries. But with the 'no smoke without fire' mentality that's sweeping the country it puts innocent people at risk. People are going to think twice before coming forward with what could be vital information for fear of being targeted by the mob

"

I have to admit that if the Jamie Bulgers killers moved next door and did some shenanighans, I would be there with a burning torch.

"

I would assume that if Venables/Thompson were living next door to you they would have served their sentences. Yet you would be there with a burning torch based on their previous conviction,

Given your post I hope you see the hypocrisy of this?

"

I have to admit that if the Jamie Bulgers killers moved next door and did some shenanighans, I would be there with a burning torch.

I would assume that if Venables/Thompson were living next door to you they would have served their sentences. Yet you would be there with a burning torch based on their previous conviction,

Given your post I hope you see the hypocrisy of this?"

I agree there's hypocisy there, and also admitting that I have 'torch burning' genes deep down somewhere. But my post did say that if the Bulger murderers ( other sickos are available) moved into the area and repeated their behaviour, then yes, the doubt of guilt would be subdued as you know they have it in their character to commit such crimes. I am not saying it is right in any way, shape or form.

That said, I would not go and attack an innocent, seemingly law abiding person based on rumour. Reading some of the posts on here are like reading something out of the Salem witch hunts...

If McAlpine lived in a small community and he had been outed the way he had, his life would have been seriously blighted by the 'no smoke without fire' brigade. Fortunately for him, he has the resources to prove his innocence.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

usually bluster to self elevate their own position, they would dish out their 'justice' with others beside them, unlikely alone.

so very brave.

What about the 'Madonna is dead' type 'news' stories - what do people think about these?

"

I agree there's hypocisy there, and also admitting that I have 'torch burning' genes deep down somewhere. But my post did say that if the Bulger murderers ( other sickos are available) moved into the area and repeated their behaviour, then yes, the doubt of guilt would be subdued as you know they have it in their character to commit such crimes. I am not saying it is right in any way, shape or form.

That said, I would not go and attack an innocent, seemingly law abiding person based on rumour. Reading some of the posts on here are like reading something out of the Salem witch hunts...

If McAlpine lived in a small community and he had been outed the way he had, his life would have been seriously blighted by the 'no smoke without fire' brigade. Fortunately for him, he has the resources to prove his innocence.

"

It goes deeper and affects a wide swaith of people.

They were discussing the P Schofield saga on Radio 2 and apparently some of the names on this list trawled from the internet are gay men whom are under suspicion because they are gay and not perceived to be "normal" by our mouth breathing friends.

Add to "not normal" list naturists and swingers and we are all in trouble.

"What about the 'Madonna is dead' type 'news' stories - what do people think about these?"

In her case, its wishful thinking on my part!!!

I was surprised when I heard Eddie Murphy had died. Funny enough, heard that through here, this forum is quicker at news than CNN

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"What about the 'Madonna is dead' type 'news' stories - what do people think about these?"

I have no need to celebrate the passing of anyone in society... even the likes of Myra Hindley, I just hope their passing gives peace and some sort of closure to the victims family.

"Yes, but thankfully those people are not in charge of our legal system.Agreed but they have a vote!!

And their own papers the Sun and the Mirror."

Isn't that akin to the very thing the OP is referring to?

Not all Sun & Mirror readers are mindless potential criminals!

Talk about double standards!

"Yes, but thankfully those people are not in charge of our legal system.Agreed but they have a vote!!

Talk about double standards! "

I am more worried about the Mail readers... angry feckers one and all!!!

Talk about double standards!

I am more worried about the Mail readers... angry feckers one and all!!!"

Miserable buggers more like. I know why they read it though, it's to top up on miserability. (have I just made up a new word?)

Talk about double standards! "

True , not all Sun and Mirror readers are potential criminals , but some of their campaigns ,and News of the World were hardly cerebrally led.

Mind, I gave up with the Mail as they seem to have hysterics about sex and immigration .

By *lum59Couple  over a year ago

wigan

oh so agree

Look at the april jones case, you didn't have to look far into social media to see people claiming he should of been torched to get his confession...

"

Given your post I hope you see the hypocrisy of this?"

I fail to see how they served any sentence. They are still alive, have been protected by our government by the means of new identities which in its own right. Who ever allowed this should strung up next to those two evil bastards.

"

I fail to see how they served any sentence. They are still alive, have been protected by our government by the means of new identities which in its own right. Who ever allowed this should strung up next to those two evil bastards. "

So you would condone hanging children?.

"

I fail to see how they served any sentence. They are still alive, have been protected by our government by the means of new identities which in its own right. Who ever allowed this should strung up next to those two evil bastards. "

A post that displays the attitude that the OP was concerned about.

"

They were convicted as children and, as children, the law in effect at the time was applied to them. Venables was rushed straight back to jail when he was found to have breached the terms of his parole. I'd say the criminal justice system is working, not perfectly, but it is working.

By *ust_for_laughsCouple  over a year ago

Hinckley

"

The fact of the matter is that our justice system is based on rehabilitation, not retribution. I'd hate to see that change.

And their own papers the Sun and the Mirror."

Kill an Argie and win a Metro!

Kill an Argie and win a Metro!"

when something is whipped up like the savile story it is a worry that people will get together and take the law into their own hands.

i fully understand familes wanting to protect their children but to take the law into your own hands without proof sends out a worry message.

next you'll have people blasting a dog for weeing on the lawn.

it just leads down a path of total breakdown.

it doesnt help when so much lately has been about police corruption and that leads to people feeling nothing will be done and what will be done will be covered up or not good enough in the publics eye.

i remember the news report about 2 years ago of a hate mob hounding a doctor because they thought he was a pedophile.

in fact he was a pediatrician and it was rumor and hearsay which stired up the mob.

and the mob tend to act without thinking when its something like this.

for the victim of misidentity their life is over because people always remember a face and always think he most have been guilty of something or they wouldnt say these things.

worrying.

By *john121Man  over a year ago

staffs

"

I fail to see how they served any sentence. They are still alive, have been protected by our government by the means of new identities which in its own right. Who ever allowed this should strung up next to those two evil bastards.

A post that displays the attitude that the OP was concerned about."

Odd, but I see a strange parallel between the subject of this thread and what today represents (11th Nov).

We can all sit back in our nice cosy homes, watching telly, reading newspapers, logging in to Facebook etc etc and on this day, some of us will still comment on the fact that 79 years ago, a cultured European country elected a near-psychopathic dictator as it's Fuhrer, who then took that country into a World War which nearly destroyed it, whilst in the background they were systematically going about eradicating an entire race from the Earth.

That country fell for the censored 'news' they were being fed by the media of the day, and that 'group fever' cost the lives of 50 million human beings, and six years of abject hardship to put a stop to it.

And yet, it would seem that the majority of people who would think nothing of condemning what the German people did in 1933 with the words 'How could they be so naive..?' (or words to that effect), are sucked in by the very same manipulation of often some very straightforward facts, presented in a way the media outlet wishes. That way in which they are presented may not necessarily be the truth, but it is the first version to be presented and it is always much harder to overturn such preconceptions thereafter.

Always question EVERYTHING - and most often - your OWN preconceptions and prejudices before rushing to attack anyone...

Pork

"Odd, but I see a strange parallel between the subject of this thread and what today represents (11th Nov).

We can all sit back in our nice cosy homes, watching telly, reading newspapers, logging in to Facebook etc etc and on this day, some of us will still comment on the fact that 79 years ago, a cultured European country elected a near-psychopathic dictator as it's Fuhrer, who then took that country into a World War which nearly destroyed it, whilst in the background they were systematically going about eradicating an entire race from the Earth.

That country fell for the censored 'news' they were being fed by the media of the day, and that 'group fever' cost the lives of 50 million human beings, and six years of abject hardship to put a stop to it.

And yet, it would seem that the majority of people who would think nothing of condemning what the German people did in 1933 with the words 'How could they be so naive..?' (or words to that effect), are sucked in by the very same manipulation of often some very straightforward facts, presented in a way the media outlet wishes. That way in which they are presented may not necessarily be the truth, but it is the first version to be presented and it is always much harder to overturn such preconceptions thereafter.

Always question EVERYTHING - and most often - your OWN preconceptions and prejudices before rushing to attack anyone...

Pork"

there is some truth in that sadly.

we are becoming a do as we say nation of people instead of doing what the french and greeks do when they have had enough.

not saying rioting is the answer but we are soft belled these day.

By *teveanddebsCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

"

The fact of the matter is that our justice system is based on rehabilitation, not retribution. I'd hate to see that change."

If there was a bit more retribution maybe people would feel less need to take the law into their own hands. Instead the criminal justice system seems designed to only punish the victims.

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"

Pork"

Well said

"

The fact of the matter is that our justice system is based on rehabilitation, not retribution. I'd hate to see that change.

If there was a bit more retribution maybe people would feel less need to take the law into their own hands. Instead the criminal justice system seems designed to only punish the victims."

the problem is when the police charge someone the cps look at it and make a judgement on it.

what the judge thinks is made up over the trial and again he is limited to what punishment he can hand down by law.

we all have seen people get off with light sentences but most of the time the judge is only handing down what is recommended for the offence.

By *hocolateRodMan  over a year ago

London and over UK

agree with pork

its hard to believe how germany went the way it did

as a child, i never understood

but the older I get, and the more I understand people, the more I understand how the siren voices of a madman can convince the disillusioned that the solution to their problems is hating a defenceless minority

s

By *ucsparkMan  over a year ago

dudley

I was once told that justice is for all, innocent and guilty alike. For the first to protect and right the wrongs. For the second to serve penance and protect from themselves. The PM had it right when he called it tweeter court. On today of all days innocent until proven guilty seems a cause worth fighting to keep.

"agree with pork

but the older I get, and the more I understand people, the more I understand how the siren voices of a madman can convince the disillusioned that the solution to their problems is hating a defenceless minority

s"

... and DEFENCE of the individual (or a minority) is what our legal system is all about. We may not like the way it is applied to certain individuals, but it is - in the main - applied evenly and proportionately. If, in the case of one of the Bulger killers, the application of that system did not provide sufficient rehabilitation, then the system is there to step in and make sure that that 'rehabilitation' is re-commenced and continues, until that individuals own death if necessary.

" On today of all days innocent until proven guilty seems a cause worth fighting to keep. "

By *ucsparkMan  over a year ago

dudley

"agree with pork

s

... and DEFENCE of the individual (or a minority) is what our legal system is all about. We may not like the way it is applied to certain individuals, but it is - in the main - applied evenly and proportionately. If, in the case of one of the Bulger killers, the application of that system did not provide sufficient rehabilitation, then the system is there to step in and make sure that that 'rehabilitation' is re-commenced and continues, until that individuals own death if necessary.

"

And that why one of them returned to continue his sentence.

"agree with pork

s

And that why one of them returned to continue his sentence. "

Yes, that's the point I was making

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

If the mob take over I'd advise people not to mention that they're a paediatrician.

"If the mob take over I'd advise people not to mention that they're a paediatrician."

If that wasn't so serious, it would be funny....

"

If there was a bit more retribution maybe people would feel less need to take the law into their own hands. Instead the criminal justice system seems designed to only punish the victims."

What people often forget is that post-Blair, the judiciary have their hands tied on sentencing.

The UK justice system is based on punishment, retribution and rehabilitation. It is now days skewed towards rehabilitation (although how effectively is arguable) but there are plans to introduce more retributive measures...with the victims having a say.

The worst laws in the criminal justice system are, almost always, a result of a knee-jerk reaction by the Government to the hysteria whipped up by the tabloid newspapers.

"If the mob take over I'd advise people not to mention that they're a paediatrician.

"

...or true! http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2000/aug/30/childprotection.society

Glasgow

"

The worst laws in the criminal justice system are, almost always, a result of a knee-jerk reaction by the Government to the hysteria whipped up by the tabloid newspapers."

Which ones are those then?

It's ignorance and a failure to see behind the false illusions that are fed through the media. Its all about control and power and until people wake up to the fact they are being conned then not a lot will change.

"

The worst laws in the criminal justice system are, almost always, a result of a knee-jerk reaction by the Government to the hysteria whipped up by the tabloid newspapers.

Which ones are those then?"

To highlight a major one, the hysteria over terrorism. Clearly terrorism is a threat, but sometimes the panic fed by the media emboldens the Government to introduce draconian laws that often have unforeseen consequences.

For example, the "Anti-terrorism, Crime and Security Act 2001", despite it's short title, can be legally used in situations that are unrelated to terrorism, crime or security. In fact, they have been applied in situations that weren't even illegal. ie: Usage of section 2 against Landsbanki in 20088.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"agree with pork

s"

well said..

'first they came for the communists...'

Glasgow

"

Which ones are those then?

To highlight a major one, the hysteria over terrorism. Clearly terrorism is a threat, but sometimes the panic fed by the media emboldens the Government to introduce draconian laws that often have unforeseen consequences.

For example, the "Anti-terrorism, Crime and Security Act 2001", despite it's short title, can be legally used in situations that are unrelated to terrorism, crime or security. In fact, they have been applied in situations that weren't even illegal. ie: Usage of section 2 against Landsbanki in 20088.

"

I'm not sure I agree that the consequences were 'unforeseen'. It may be those were exactly the consequences legislators had in mind.

I can't work up too much sympathy for those who invested in Icelandic banks and who got their fingers temporarily frost-bitten.

"If the mob take over I'd advise people not to mention that they're a paediatrician.

...or true! http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2000/aug/30/childprotection.society"

yes thank you for posting the link.

i did remember the incident just didnt realise how far back it went.

but it is not just kids that need better protection as the recent events in rochdale have proved.

things like this give the bnp and other groups voice and what they think is the right to attack a section of the community because of the behaviour of the few.

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Surreysensual....it goes like this....

"First they came for the communists,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the socialists,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a socialist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for me,

and there was no one left to speak for me."

By Martin Niemoller

"

I'm not sure I agree that the consequences were 'unforeseen'. It may be those were exactly the consequences legislators had in mind."

Clearly they didn't foresee that use. There is nothing in Hansard or the Act's notes to back that up...particularly as the section refers to "attacks", which it would be hard to explain in the stated situation of a bank!

As for sympathy, that's a totally different issue!

Brighton - even Hove!

...or true! http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2000/aug/30/childprotection.society"

Omg! I remember that!

Use of "mass hysteria" fed by the media has been used for centuries to empower governments to do things in the common interest, which often have gone unnoticed. Combination of terrorists and pedophiles have been the last two decades target.

Put in the benefit scroungers and single parents to mop up those sections of discontent that can't be covered by the first two and we all hate everyone else enough not to notice what goes on in government.

Clever really as when they used the imminent invasion of the Russians / Americans depending which side of the wall you were on it had a dependence on a visible presence from the other side, now we can't trust anyone

"Put in the benefit scroungers and single parents to mop up those sections of discontent that can't be covered by the first two and we all hate everyone else enough not to notice what goes on in government."

A fantastic example of this is the fact that Tax Evasion costs the Exchequer much more than Benefit Fraud...yet if the vitriol and newspaper coverage was anything to go by, you'd assume it was the other way around.

Also, if you report a tax cheat the descriptors are couched in polite terms:

"Please include any distinguishing features. For example, height, colour of hair etc."

The descriptors for benefit cheats are:

Their distinguishing features, (for example, facial hair, tattoos, scars, piercings.

Of the total amount spent on social security benefits, £1bn, or 0.8%, relates to fraudulent claims. £5.2bn is lost due to mistakes made by Government departments...but the figure often reported combines fraud AND errors!

The figure for tax evasion is estimated at £25bn...yet only just over £600,000 was spent on enforcement versus £5m spent on tackling benefit fraud.

"Put in the benefit scroungers and single parents to mop up those sections of discontent that can't be covered by the first two and we all hate everyone else enough not to notice what goes on in government.

A fantastic example of this is the fact that Tax Evasion costs the Exchequer much more than Benefit Fraud...yet if the vitriol and newspaper coverage was anything to go by, you'd assume it was the other way around.

Also, if you report a tax cheat the descriptors are couched in polite terms:

"Please include any distinguishing features. For example, height, colour of hair etc."

The descriptors for benefit cheats are:

Their distinguishing features, (for example, facial hair, tattoos, scars, piercings.

Of the total amount spent on social security benefits, £1bn, or 0.8%, relates to fraudulent claims. £5.2bn is lost due to mistakes made by Government departments...but the figure often reported combines fraud AND errors!

The figure for tax evasion is estimated at £25bn...yet only just over £600,000 was spent on enforcement versus £5m spent on tackling benefit fraud.

"

yes i noticed this morning it was reported 2 major companies have paid zero tax in this country and clearly the government do not know how to handle this.

maybe over the top buy id close down their operations including web access (if their business was web driven) until they paid what was owed.

all the time your soft more and more will not pay and the state we are in highlights it even more.

in Lancashire

"Surreysensual....it goes like this....

"First they came for the communists,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the socialists,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a socialist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for me,

and there was no one left to speak for me."

By Martin Niemoller

"

Thanks Steve, i do know it m8..got it on a tee shirt..

its very apt to todays society ..

'the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good 'men' to do nothing...' also says volumes..

Glasgow

"

I'm not sure I agree that the consequences were 'unforeseen'. It may be those were exactly the consequences legislators had in mind.

Clearly they didn't foresee that use. There is nothing in Hansard or the Act's notes to back that up...particularly as the section refers to "attacks", which it would be hard to explain in the stated situation of a bank!

As for sympathy, that's a totally different issue!"

In the event legislators were hoping for certain consequences they'd rather the target didn't expect, they'd hardly have trailed their expectation on the floor of the House or on the face of the Bill.

Brighton - even Hove!

"The figure for tax evasion is estimated at £25bn...yet only just over £600,000 was spent on enforcement versus £5m spent on tackling benefit fraud"

More votes in tackling alleged benefit fraud than trying to get tax from your friends.

I like eating Eton Mess - I don't like being 'governed' by it.

"

As for sympathy, that's a totally different issue!

In the event legislators were hoping for certain consequences they'd rather the target didn't expect, they'd hardly have trailed their expectation on the floor of the House or on the face of the Bill."

Consequences like what?! Are you seriously suggesting the Government put a piece of legislation in an anti-terrorism act use in a financial debacle that would occur eight years later? lol

"I like eating Eton Mess - I don't like being 'governed' by it."

That has to be quote of the day! lol

By *amschwingerzCouple  over a year ago

West

These hate mobs make me laugh..they chase police vans with a suspect inside, kicking and punching it before the accused has even been to court...one word Wankers!

Vigilantes..hmm fine with me IF they get the right person, maybe a mugger caught red handed..but they should still hand that person over the the police..

I chased a mugger once, no question, I saw him do it, if I had caught him I wouldnt have any problem 'suitably restraining' him (ie a good shoeing) but I would have still felt it right to hand him over to the police who would then hand him over to the courts to probably let him off with a community order

But as for lynch mob justice, no way...if the police and the courts can get it wrong so can a load of d up chavs

in Lancashire

"I like eating Eton Mess - I don't like being 'governed' by it.

That has to be quote of the day! lol"

+1

"

I like eating Eton Mess - I don't like being 'governed' by it."

I bet you had a conflict of interest in the last Labour govt then, Harrier Harman being an Old Etonian, and Tony Blair privately educated elsewhere. (Blair schooled at prestigious Fettes College, Edinburgh and became friends with Charlie Falconer, a rival at also prestigiously regarded Edinburgh Acadamy and whom he later appointed Lord Chancellor)

"These hate mobs make me laugh..they chase police vans with a suspect inside, kicking and punching it before the accused has even been to court...one word Wankers!

Vigilantes..hmm fine with me IF they get the right person, maybe a mugger caught red handed..but they should still hand that person over the the police..

I chased a mugger once, no question, I saw him do it, if I had caught him I wouldnt have any problem 'suitably restraining' him (ie a good shoeing) but I would have still felt it right to hand him over to the police who would then hand him over to the courts to probably let him off with a community order

But as for lynch mob justice, no way...if the police and the courts can get it wrong so can a load of d up chavs"

...and the taxpayer has to foot the bill for repairs to the van and counselling for the coppers inside it.

Brighton - even Hove!

My post was wittier. No conflict of interest there.

in Lancashire

"

I bet you had a conflict of interest in the last Labour govt then, Harrier Harman being an Old Etonian, and Tony Blair privately educated elsewhere. (Blair schooled at prestigious Fettes College, Edinburgh and became friends with Charlie Falconer, a rival at also prestigiously regarded Edinburgh Acadamy and whom he later appointed Lord Chancellor)"

your point is what exactly..

"

I bet you had a conflict of interest in the last Labour govt then, Harrier Harman being an Old Etonian, and Tony Blair privately educated elsewhere. (Blair schooled at prestigious Fettes College, Edinburgh and became friends with Charlie Falconer, a rival at also prestigiously regarded Edinburgh Acadamy and whom he later appointed Lord Chancellor)

your point is what exactly.."

That the proliferation of public school educated people in govt transcends political parties and that someone with an axe to grind against public school education should make it clear that he does it regardless of which political party these public school graduates eventually affiliate themselves to.

Brighton - even Hove!

I haven't got an axe to grind. Don't make assumptions. I went to both state and private school. My post was still wittier.

"I haven't got an axe to grind. Don't make assumptions. I went to both state and private school. My post was still wittier. "

"Governed by Eton Mess" suggests you DO have an axe to grind. Against Eton educated people in particular. Or was it just a cheap shot Mr Schofield would have been proud of?

in Lancashire

"

your point is what exactly..

That the proliferation of public school educated people in govt transcends political parties and that someone with an axe to grind against public school education should make it clear that he does it regardless of which political party these public school graduates eventually affiliate themselves to."

but not all are or have come from eton which was the humerous connection of the post have they..?

to add in blairs and falconers is tenuous and a bit clutching at straws..

Brighton - even Hove!

Yet another wishy-washy argument. My 'Eton Mess' joke was still wittier than your posts.

Brighton - even Hove!

"but not all are or have come from eton which was the humerous connection of the post have they..?

to add in blairs and falconers is tenuous and a bit clutching at straws.."

Exactly! Humerous being the operative word. Tenuous and fatuous. Worst still. - boring.

"I haven't got an axe to grind. Don't make assumptions. I went to both state and private school. My post was still wittier.

"Governed by Eton Mess" suggests you DO have an axe to grind. Against Eton educated people in particular. Or was it just a cheap shot Mr Schofield would have been proud of?"

You assumed the poster was a Labour supporter and had an axe to grind...I just thought it was a witty comment about dessert!

As far as I am aware there is no delicious dessert with a name connected to Fettes College, so the joke only works with Eton Mess... not all humor requires 100% accuracy... still think

is a good quote of the day.

"I haven't got an axe to grind. Don't make assumptions. I went to both state and private school. My post was still wittier.

"Governed by Eton Mess" suggests you DO have an axe to grind. Against Eton educated people in particular. Or was it just a cheap shot Mr Schofield would have been proud of?

You assumed the poster was a Labour supporter and had an axe to grind...I just thought it was a witty comment about dessert! "

I assumed nothing having crossed words with him on previous threads.

"As far as I am aware there is no delicious dessert with a name connected to Fettes College, so the joke only works with Eton Mess... not all humor requires 100% accuracy... still think

is a good quote of the day."

I didn't find it humourous in the slightest. It smacked of envy and avarice and had it been posted by anyone other than the person who posted it I might have given it some leaway.

It was a soundbite, nothing more, and if he tweets it he'll probably get 'followed' by Channel 4.

"I assumed nothing having crossed words with him on previous threads."

Sounds like cross crossed words to me! Can everyone just make up now and have dessert please?

By the way...June_Terry, that's a fabulous top!

Glasgow

"

Consequences like what?! Are you seriously suggesting the Government put a piece of legislation in an anti-terrorism act use in a financial debacle that would occur eight years later? lol"

I wouldn't be in the lesat surprised at least insofar as it's sometimes useful not to nail legislation down too tightly.

Glasgow

Is there a 21st century equivalent to Godwin's Law?

It seems that whenever anyone runs out of rational argument - they mention Tony Blair.

Brighton - even Hove!

Don't make assumptions about my education or wealth. Other people found my joke funny. I suppose it's because they have a sense of humour. "If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen" quote springs to mind.

" I didn't find it humourous in the slightest. It smacked of envy and avarice and had it been posted by anyone other than the person who posted it I might have given it some leaway.

It was a soundbite, nothing more, and if he tweets it he'll probably get 'followed' by Channel 4."

Avarice? How did you get the poster has a greed for riches from that comment?

Glasgow

"

I bet you had a conflict of interest in the last Labour govt then, Harrier Harman being an Old Etonian, and Tony Blair privately educated elsewhere. (Blair schooled at prestigious Fettes College, Edinburgh and became friends with Charlie Falconer, a rival at also prestigiously regarded Edinburgh Acadamy and whom he later appointed Lord Chancellor)"

Where on earth did Wishy get the notion Harriet went to Eton?

Incidentally, despite what Wiki says, Scots don't see Fettes as 'prestigious'.

"Is there a 21st century equivalent to Godwin's Law?

It seems that whenever anyone runs out of rational argument - they mention Tony Blair."

Sounds like something Hitler would say...

Brighton - even Hove!

It seems that whenever anyone runs out of rational argument - they mention Tony Blair.

Sounds like something Hitler would say..."

And he was right wing for sure!

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

making single mums,and benefit cheats,our priority,is a good thing.our society needs scape goats,hang them high.

they may cost the country less than 5%,of the tax evaded by banks,and big corporations,but they're easier to hit.

both labour,and conservatives,have presided over,and turned a blind eye to,tax evasion by banks,and big corporations.so it would be quite wrong, to lay the blame at any one parties door,no matter where they were educated.

I dont like lynch mobs and people taking the law into ther own hands but...having three and half years experance of the family law courts that sytem inmy experance and others i have met is well and truly broken and normally used by the conatc parent aginst the no cntact parent. not sure if this is thr ight place here for that kind of thing but saw commnets on the law eailer so just putting my bit to it. it is a landmine normally when family law and divource and allthat is brought up anywhere but humbly that is my bit. x

"

Where on earth did Wishy get the notion Harriet went to Eton?

Incidentally, despite what Wiki says, Scots don't see Fettes as 'prestigious'.

"

I don't know either considering it's a Boys School.

Interestingly, the Gen Election 2010 saw no Labour Old Etonians elected since 1923. Of today's 650 MPs, 20 are Old Etonians (1 LibDem and 19 Conservatives), which shows that we're far from being 'governed by Eton Mess'.

I wonder how many people, if their children were offered an all expenses paid education at Eton, would say, "Fuck off! My kid will go to the shit comprehensive they built 20 years ago to replace the old brickyard down the end of the street!" Not many I suspect.

"

Stick around. Before long you'll see Margaret Thatcher blamed for Japan's Nuclear meltdown, she's blamed for everything else eventually by some on here.

Glasgow

Stick around. Before long you'll see Margaret Thatcher blamed for Japan's Nuclear meltdown, she's blamed for everything else eventually by some on here."

Actually, there IS a strong argument re Thatcher's culpability in that matter.

what i like about these forums.

a discussion brings people from every walk of life together

Stick around. Before long you'll see Margaret Thatcher blamed for Japan's Nuclear meltdown, she's blamed for everything else eventually by some on here.

Actually, there IS a strong argument re Thatcher's culpability in that matter."

{giggling profusely} ok, ok, let's have it then.

Stick around. Before long you'll see Margaret Thatcher blamed for Japan's Nuclear meltdown, she's blamed for everything else eventually by some on here."

Wait, Maggie DIDN'T do it?

Wait, Maggie DIDN'T do it? "

Well, not personally. She was't a member of Avengers Assemble despite hte 'Iron Lady' tag, I'm sorry to say.

Brighton - even Hove!

Thatcher closed the mines, stopped free milk and introduced the poll tax.

I'm going to make damned sure that at some point this week I'm going to eat an untaxed pasty and Eton Mess.

Well, not personally. She was't a member of Avengers Assemble despite hte 'Iron Lady' tag, I'm sorry to say. "

I now have an image of Maggie Thatcher in a lycra superhero costume...

in Lancashire

"making single mums,and benefit cheats,our priority,is a good thing.our society needs scape goats,hang them high.

they may cost the country less than 5%,of the tax evaded by banks,and big corporations,but they're easier to hit.

both labour,and conservatives,have presided over,and turned a blind eye to,tax evasion by banks,and big corporations.so it would be quite wrong, to lay the blame at any one parties door,no matter where they were educated.

"

yep, add in immigrants and travellers etc and those in power of all parties are pissing themselves at 'us' squabbling and blaming the 'easy targets' they and their cronies in the media line up..

the arguments about left and right are pretty much irrelevant given its the centre ground where the votes are..

Glasgow

I suppose we have the Yanks to blame.

Their government is decided by an Electoral College whilst ours is decided by Eton College.

Well, not personally. She was't a member of Avengers Assemble despite hte 'Iron Lady' tag, I'm sorry to say.

I now have an image of Maggie Thatcher in a lycra superhero costume... "

Steady, you'll ruin your Bob the Builder boxers.

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Like that case 2 years ago where they murdered that guy in south London in his caravan because he was on the sex offenders register and they thought he was responsible for some thing that had happened..

I can understand why people take the law into their own hands however its still breaking the law regardless...

"Thatcher closed the mines, stopped free milk and introduced the poll tax.

I'm going to make damned sure that at some point this week I'm going to eat an untaxed pasty and Eton Mess. "

Actually, the pasty might be taxed...it depends where and in what state it's purchased! The "Pasty Tax" wasn't actually a stupid idea, it's an anomaly (one of many) in the VAT rules.

The MP's clamoring to profess their love of pasties on the other hand...that was embarrassing!

Brighton - even Hove!

"I suppose we have the Yanks to blame.

Their government is decided by an Electoral College whilst ours is decided by Eton College."

"Steady, you'll ruin your Bob the Builder boxers. "

Unless I'm a Labour or Lib Dem voter, then it'll be nightmares!

Stop coveting my Bob the Builder boxes...it's a sin!

"Steady, you'll ruin your Bob the Builder boxers.

Unless I'm a Labour or Lib Dem voter, then it'll be nightmares!

Stop coveting my Bob the Builder boxes...it's a sin!"

S'ok, I'm commando cept for at hatches, matches and despatches. Your boxers are safe.

I'm going to make damned sure that at some point this week I'm going to eat an untaxed pasty and Eton Mess.

Actually, the pasty might be taxed...it depends where and in what state it's purchased! The "Pasty Tax" wasn't actually a stupid idea, it's an anomaly (one of many) in the VAT rules.

The MP's clamoring to profess their love of pasties on the other hand...that was embarrassing!"

McDonald's is subject to VAT, as is any Indian takeaway, so why not hot food produced elsewhere?

The MP's clamoring to profess their love of pasties on the other hand...that was embarrassing!

McDonald's is subject to VAT, as is any Indian takeaway, so why not hot food produced elsewhere?"

Do you really want to know?

Glasgow

The MP's clamoring to profess their love of pasties on the other hand...that was embarrassing!"

The pasty tax, like the caravan tax, wasn't a bad idea at all, it was just badly sold.

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

"making single mums,and benefit cheats,our priority,is a good thing.our society needs scape goats,hang them high.

yep, add in immigrants and travellers etc and those in power of all parties are pissing themselves at 'us' squabbling and blaming the 'easy targets' they and their cronies in the media line up..

the arguments about left and right are pretty much irrelevant given its the centre ground where the votes are..

"

By *aybe_amyWoman  over a year ago

Wales

You know who I blame for all this vigilante stuff....?

Batman.

"You know who I blame for all this vigilante stuff....?

Batman. "

I think Charles Bronson was the original vigilante. Batman was just a comic hero in a gimp mask.

"You know who I blame for all this vigilante stuff....?

Batman. "

You too can now join him! http://www.reallifesuperheroes.com/

» Add a new message to this topic