FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > How much!!!!!

How much!!!!!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *upitersmile OP   Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

9 year old wants her own clarinet for Christmas. Have just been to music shop for some advise on model, cost etc. So for just an entry level (although she's been playing 2yrs) that isn't made of cheap plastic I now know for a new one we are looking in the region of....wait for it…............

£365-£400!!!!

Second hand is the way forward I think, eBay here I come!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple  over a year ago

Bolton

"9 year old wants her own clarinet for Christmas. Have just been to music shop for some advise on model, cost etc. So for just an entry level (although she's been playing 2yrs) that isn't made of cheap plastic I now know for a new one we are looking in the region of....wait for it…............

£365-£400!!!!

Second hand is the way forward I think, eBay here I come! "

they're really dear - I got my son a second hand one from a music shop and it was fine. Z

Manchester

"9 year old wants her own clarinet for Christmas. Have just been to music shop for some advise on model, cost etc. So for just an entry level (although she's been playing 2yrs) that isn't made of cheap plastic I now know for a new one we are looking in the region of....wait for it…............

£365-£400!!!!

Second hand is the way forward I think, eBay here I come!

they're really dear - I got my son a second hand one from a music shop and it was fine. Z"

Just don't want a cheap Chinese one that won't last. She's only grade one but whatever we buy her I want to see last her till around grade 5 (if she's still playing). When I was this grade (viola) and needed a more intermediate instrument rather than student one thats around the price I paid. I wasn't expecting so much for a student instrument!!

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

Get her a drumkit - she'll love you!!!

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

But the neighbours won't!!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Thank you lucky stars it wasnt a Sax - they work out about £1,000

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

we had the same issue with a flute for our then 8 year old..

we found an independant music shop local ish who we agreed to buy it over a two year period with..

Try the auctions also

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

Not the right time of year know but car boots are often good for instruments. O hot a flute from one....still don't know how to play it

A good instrument is never cheap and vice versa. It's always worthwhile spending a little extra as they tend to last longer, sound better and play better. Every instrument is the same, not just clarenet's.

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

shes 9 and will probably grow out of it once she sees a drumkit

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"Thank you lucky stars it wasnt a Sax - they work out about £1,000 "
Paid about £ 700 for ours a few years back and thought that was expensive.

Manchester

"A good instrument is never cheap and vice versa. It's always worthwhile spending a little extra as they tend to last longer, sound better and play better. Every instrument is the same, not just clarenet's."

Manchester

"shes 9 and will probably grow out of it once she sees a drumkit "

No chance!! If she wants drums it'll be pads not the real thing lol

By *aceytopWoman  over a year ago

from a town near you

bought my girls sax from a very good second hand music store she still plays it now and shes 32,youngest is on her third guitar but i only bought her the first one,a very expensive hobby but worth it if they keep it up

Manchester

"bought my girls sax from a very good second hand music store she still plays it now and shes 32,youngest is on her third guitar but i only bought her the first one,a very expensive hobby but worth it if they keep it up"

If she keeps it up I have no problem spending a small fortune on one, I know the pleasure of playing an instrument. Luckily eBay if full of the recommended model so should be able to bag a nice one!

"bought my girls sax from a very good second hand music store she still plays it now and shes 32,youngest is on her third guitar but i only bought her the first one,a very expensive hobby but worth it if they keep it up"

Be careful your youngest doesn't turn out like me. I currently have over 30 guitars and bought one last month for £1900!...lol

Manchester

"bought my girls sax from a very good second hand music store she still plays it now and shes 32,youngest is on her third guitar but i only bought her the first one,a very expensive hobby but worth it if they keep it up

Be careful your youngest doesn't turn out like me. I currently have over 30 guitars and bought one last month for £1900!...lol"

It really wouldnt bother me! My dream was to be a session musician but had to give it up due to an accident, so if she wants to persue music I'll be supporting her 100%

As far as I can remember, I paid about 300 GBP for my second hand one about 20 years ago, and it was made of plastic.

Wooden ones would cost a small fortune even then.

They t never cheap but if the kids enjoy it and keep at it it's great for them

Love hearing mine play in orchestras and school always feel so proud of them

"bought my girls sax from a very good second hand music store she still plays it now and shes 32,youngest is on her third guitar but i only bought her the first one,a very expensive hobby but worth it if they keep it up

Be careful your youngest doesn't turn out like me. I currently have over 30 guitars and bought one last month for £1900!...lol

It really wouldnt bother me! My dream was to be a session musician but had to give it up due to an accident, so if she wants to persue music I'll be supporting her 100% "

Good on you. My dad was a session muso during the 60's and 70's and I have done a few in the past. It takes a lot of hard work a dedication. It also helps if you know how to read music and know the 7 modes of the major scale, I don't know either but was blessed with good ears and just wing it!...lol

Good ole ebay!

I was just going to say be careful on there, as some sellers have no idea what make their instrument is. But it sounds like you've got that covered!

Be grateful its not a piano she's wanting!!! I was hunting around on ebay for a good quality one, but none of the local sellers had any info on the make age or quality of their pianos.

Ive sold all my worldly possessions (including some of the OH's lol)

and gone to a piano shop for my lovely second hand piano.

Its cost me an arm and a leg, but does sound lovely! Now just need another 10 yrs of practice so that my playing also sounds lovely!! lol

If you enjoy playing an instrument, you can't beat a decent sounding and decent quality instrument to play.

Good luck in your search

By *essesCouple  over a year ago

nottingham

Be careful your youngest doesn't turn out like me. I currently have over 30 guitars and bought one last month for £1900!...lol"

My old guitar teacher makes beautiful guitars, you should check his out - Gary Southwell, though don't blame me if you end up spending even more money!

Lisa

My old guitar teacher makes beautiful guitars, you should check his out - Gary Southwell, though don't blame me if you end up spending even more money!

Lisa"

Lol, I also build and repair them too.

I'll google him though....

Manchester

It really wouldnt bother me! My dream was to be a session musician but had to give it up due to an accident, so if she wants to persue music I'll be supporting her 100%

Good on you. My dad was a session muso during the 60's and 70's and I have done a few in the past. It takes a lot of hard work a dedication. It also helps if you know how to read music and know the 7 modes of the major scale, I don't know either but was blessed with good ears and just wing it!...lol"

She's getting there, she really has a gift, can read well and has a great ear. Plonk a keyboard infront of her and she can play the melody of almost anything after only hearing it a couple of times!

Manchester

"They t never cheap but if the kids enjoy it and keep at it it's great for them

Love hearing mine play in orchestras and school always feel so proud of them "

best feeling watching them perform!

» Add a new message to this topic