FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Dyslexia

Dyslexia

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Just found out today, only by chance by reading his prelim timetable, that my 15 year old stepson has dyslexia and was diagnosed when he was 11...his father and I were never informed by his school even after years of asking the question...he had a speech impediment and worked with a speech therapist for 2 years from the age of 5 to 7 and we were always told that this was to blame for his inability to understand and cope with his school work and was told that he was just a slow learner but he was trying his best...we feel so let down and upset by the education system as we could've helped him more at home if we were given the correct information...has anybody else experienced this or know more about dyslexia as his school hasn't given us much support.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ucsparkMan  over a year ago

dudley

That is so bad of education, hope you all get the help you need. On a plus side some of the greatest minds had this and still made a massive impact into people's live. Good luck

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Two of our tribe are dyslexic and I had/have a form of it as well.as discalculia.

One of the tribe plays football.for the county, one is a whizz on the motor scene and both hold full time jobs.

I have always worked and held some very respectful and skilled jobs.

I am currently in a brilliant job that I love and is considered to be a privileged position.

It wont hold you lad back if you support and encourage him in what he wants to do.

It's only a problem if you make it a problem.

Good luck for the future

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

One of the forum regulars 'Game4it2' is dyslexic, she might be able to give you some advice when next she appears.

Thanks for the replies...we have always encouraged him to do well in subjects that he enjoys,science and CDT...he would love to pursue a career in the army as a mechanic as he's always loved taking things apart and putting them back together,even if they weren't broken in the first place and would like to be able to help him achieve this...hopefully now we know this,we can do everything we can get the correct imformation to make sure he has the same opportunities as the next person.

By *r ManxMan  over a year ago

NeverWhere

I have Dislexia get your kid properly tested and give them as much support as possible ! Including sitting with them to do home work and or extra ! Try and find intresting ways of getting them to do learning it's easier if it's intresting it's purgatory if not intresting !

Contact the Dislexia association they have a web site with lots of information and Suport .

Lastly get a computer with a good spell checker and calendar function that syncs with a phone , I use outlook synced with my I phone So that I have all my contacts and apointments at hand aswell as notes of important thinks I need to know !

Just to Finnish of, its not the end of the world it's an obstacle that needs dealing with but it is also a blessing as I can look at problems from an angle others miss , I have a verry respinsible high profile job and I mannage ok , just get them to see and work to use their strengths and slog through the hard stuff

I never know i had dyslexia till i was 16, only found out when i enrolled at college and the first thing the admissions teacher said was do you have dyslexia. After have a test to prove it was dyslexia, my parents weren't to happy so complained to my old high school and they said we thought he was but couldn't do anything because they don't have funding for it.

I am and dad was and my 4 children have it .. All at different levels and was tested. I did end up sending them all to private schools as was not being offered alot of help as local schools I wished them to do better then me,.. In Suffolk there's a school for young children with dyslexia its one of the best in the country and children are there from all over even over seas. I think in different parts of the uk help it better .. Norfolk not to good. If you feel your child has been let down by the school wright to the school and tell them .See what they have to say ? And what they are doing to help ? if tested and its shown he should have had help 121 and other things should have been on offer ? like with tests exams he will get longer and a person to read and help .?

If you had suspected something wasnt right why didn't you help him more regardless?

Is isn't down to the schools to diagnose these things. The schools SENCO can inform the Educational Psycologist of their suspicions then it involves them assessing along with pediatrians and doctors and such. All of which can only be done with permission of the parents!!. If your school suspected but didn't tell you than that is not good. But if your child was struggling why did you not ask to speak to the SENCO yourselves!!! When my son was struggling with things at school I looked into it myself. Found I could self refer to the occuational therapist and saw my own doctor.

Take a look on the Internet, I am sure there are groups out there that can point you in the right direction, also talk to the school see if they can offer your son more help,

We wish you well if helping your child,

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"Two of our tribe are dyslexic and I had/have a form of it as well.as discalculia.

One of the tribe plays football.for the county, one is a whizz on the motor scene and both hold full time jobs.

I have always worked and held some very respectful and skilled jobs.

I am currently in a brilliant job that I love and is considered to be a privileged position.

It wont hold you lad back if you support and encourage him in what he wants to do.

It's only a problem if you make it a problem.

Good luck for the future "

So very very true!

"If you had suspected something wasnt right why didn't you help him more regardless?"

We have done everything we can to help him but we are not doctors or psychologists and unless we are given the facts then we can only do so much...my main point of my post is that we have been let down by the education system as they did not inform us 4 years ago that he had been diagnosed as being dyslexic.

My middle daughter dyslexic, she went thro the whole of primary school being told she lazy

When she went upto the comprehensive school she was only there two days when they head called me in and ask if they could test her

I could have kissed him, for years i was telling the lower school i felt she had problems but they said no she was just not willing to listern and learn

She had 1 on 1 tutoring, which i had to part fund but the difference was unreal when she had a teacher that understood her need, it wasnt just her learning that improved, her behaviour and self esteem did too

She was in all the bottom sets when she went up to the comprehensive school, she left 6ft form this year at 18 passing all her A level

Any child can do anything with the right education, no matter what their needs are, just keep pushing them

"Is isn't down to the schools to diagnose these things. The schools SENCO can inform the Educational Psycologist of their suspicions then it involves them assessing along with pediatrians and doctors and such. All of which can only be done with permission of the parents!!. If your school suspected but didn't tell you than that is not good. But if your child was struggling why did you not ask to speak to the SENCO yourselves!!! When my son was struggling with things at school I looked into it myself. Found I could self refer to the occuational therapist and saw my own doctor. "

We asked the question on numerous occassions and were told he wasn't dyslexic and that he was just a slow learner due to his speech problems,we were also told he was lazy and a daydreamer and the latest comment was it's just his age...we have pushed for years to get answers as we knew there was something more to it than just laziness etc...we have been guilty of putting too much faith in the education system as we believed they were the ones qualified to make the diagnosis

"My middle daughter dyslexic, she went thro the whole of primary school being told she lazy

When she went upto the comprehensive school she was only there two days when they head called me in and ask if they could test her

I could have kissed him, for years i was telling the lower school i felt she had problems but they said no she was just not willing to listern and learn

She had 1 on 1 tutoring, which i had to part fund but the difference was unreal when she had a teacher that understood her need, it wasnt just her learning that improved, her behaviour and self esteem did too

She was in all the bottom sets when she went up to the comprehensive school, she left 6ft form this year at 18 passing all her A level

Any child can do anything with the right education, no matter what their needs are, just keep pushing them"

My youngest is dyslexic school always put it down to her age and lack of concentration. It was the optician that picked hers up on a regular eye test. Found out last year in year 5 and school did do check list and they confirmed it. With added help and her coloured overlay she is now doing wonders x

By *edonism44Man  over a year ago

oldham

My 12 year old lad has mild dyslexia, yet his mum and step dad have wrote him off. He just needs encouragement to get his abilities up to speed, as it won't hold him back. They use it as an excuse for his lack if academic ability.

The truth is he can do anything and puts his mind to it. He's a lazy typical teenager, and we don't use the dyslexia as a cushion, we work with him to overcome challenges. So when he says it's the dyslexia causing the issue, rather than his teenage laziness lol, we just drive through it and show him it can be done .

I am not playing dyslexia down in the slightest it can be extremely serious, but the mild form my son has allows him, if he gets away with it, to be blamed rather than being a bone idle bugger lol. He also has a speech problem because his jaw is too far forward so lacks confidence , but I am working on that.

He gets extra help in school and was diagnosed 3 years back.

Bottom line is he knows he has it , it doesn't bother him to a point, but he knows not to play the ace card of dyslexia when he can't be simply bothered to Di his homework .... He learnt fast when we cottoned on lol

All in all he's a great lad and I am so very proud of him, too much like me though , poor Sod xxx

"My 12 year old lad has mild dyslexia, yet his mum and step dad have wrote him off. He just needs encouragement to get his abilities up to speed, as it won't hold him back. They use it as an excuse for his lack if academic ability.

The truth is he can do anything and puts his mind to it. He's a lazy typical teenager, and we don't use the dyslexia as a cushion, we work with him to overcome challenges. So when he says it's the dyslexia causing the issue, rather than his teenage laziness lol, we just drive through it and show him it can be done .

I am not playing dyslexia down in the slightest it can be extremely serious, but the mild form my son has allows him, if he gets away with it, to be blamed rather than being a bone idle bugger lol. He also has a speech problem because his jaw is too far forward so lacks confidence , but I am working on that.

He gets extra help in school and was diagnosed 3 years back.

Bottom line is he knows he has it , it doesn't bother him to a point, but he knows not to play the ace card of dyslexia when he can't be simply bothered to Di his homework .... He learnt fast when we cottoned on lol

All in all he's a great lad and I am so very proud of him, too much like me though , poor Sod xxx"

My stepson is a lovely,helpful individual and constantly thinks of others before himself,he would spend his last £ on his wee sisters...he is also a typical teenager who needs cajoled into tidying his room and constantly back chats and thinks he knows everything...we know he has the potential to do very well in life,just wish we had been given more information sooner and not a few months before his exams.

I'm amazed the lad didn't mention it himself unless the ignorant school forgot to tell him also. What a sorry state of affairs. You should complain to your local EA in the strongest possible terms.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"If you had suspected something wasnt right why didn't you help him more regardless?

We have done everything we can to help him but we are not doctors or psychologists and unless we are given the facts then we can only do so much...my main point of my post is that we have been let down by the education system as they did not inform us 4 years ago that he had been diagnosed as being dyslexic."

fully understand your frustration at the school etc, but you need to focus on the future for him..

cant really undo what has been missed etc, looking back and saying what if this what if that will be like treading water..

the system in all honesty will protect itself if you go after it..

may be far better to approach them and sort a meeting out where his present and future needs are addressed..

some good advice already on this thread..

good luck with his future..

yeah I have dyslexia too, but it gives you strengths research has found, in logical reasoning making people some of the best engineers and scienctists. I'm an engineer my self.

i found out when i was 11 i had it ,was ok till i moved high school and town .got no help when i needed it the most lefted school with me GCSE.

By *r ManxMan  over a year ago

NeverWhere

I didn't find out I was dislexic till I was 35 when work sent me on a course with an written exam at the end of it ! One of the examiners was dislexic and he told me to get tested ! Having gone through school and most if my adult life being told I was lazy or " could do better " it was a relief that not only I was not stupid I had put in to place good coping strategies ! I do feel badly let down by the education system but I just had to work harder to get where I am now and I think I am more apreciative of what I have and have achieved compared to some who just walked into my job

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Orlando Bloom is dyslexic.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

I don't have any knowledge on the subject but all the best to all who do deal with it.

By *ig jugsWoman  over a year ago

somewhere

I was diagnosed dyslexic and disscalculate in the summer of this year at the age of 24 and in my final year of a Bachelors of art degree,I had no signs or symptoms other than bad spelling and grammar and it was missed throughput my whole education where I also have two HNC'S AND TWO HND'S. So at least he can be tested properly again and get the help early as at 34 its a bit late for me but Il still have a great and long career ahead of me come next spring when I fully qualify.Good luck

By *unknSoulCouple  over a year ago

Dumfriesish see

Not dyslexic myseif but other half is. Always thought a dyslexic was someone who could not read and write well if at all. What an eye opener when you live with someone who is . No two days the same.

My son is currently going through the assessment process

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

my youngest son is dyslexic,we were told when he was sixteen,two months before his o levels.

we suspected dyslexia,by the time he was six,and informed the school.they assured us he was not dyslexic,and made us feel like over anxious parents. we questioned this through out his time at school,and were always told and made to feel the same.

by the time he was diagnosed,his self esteem,was at rock bottom.

he did get help with his o levels,he was given his questions verbally,and answered verbally,and to be honest,he done really well.it did make us think,had he been diagnosed from day one,how much better could he have done.

we never doubted his intelligence,as he always seemed to instinctively know,the best way to do some things.

it's frustrating as a parent,it must be so much worse for the child.

be patient,good luck.

short list of dyslexics

albert einstein

winston churchill

richard branson

leonardo da vinci

andy warhol

picasso

johnny depp

orlando bloom

steven spielberg

thomas edison

george washington

it's a long list of genius.

"I was diagnosed dyslexic and disscalculate in the summer of this year at the age of 24 and in my final year of a Bachelors of art degree,I had no signs or symptoms other than bad spelling and grammar and it was missed throughput my whole education where I also have two HNC'S AND TWO HND'S. So at least he can be tested properly again and get the help early as at 34 its a bit late for me but Il still have a great and long career ahead of me come next spring when I fully qualify.Good luck "

"Not dyslexic myseif but other half is. Always thought a dyslexic was someone who could not read and write well if at all. What an eye opener when you live with someone who is . No two days the same. "

Very true

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"Thanks for the replies...we have always encouraged him to do well in subjects that he enjoys,science and CDT...he would love to pursue a career in the army as a mechanic as he's always loved taking things apart and putting them back together,even if they weren't broken in the first place and would like to be able to help him achieve this...hopefully now we know this,we can do everything we can get the correct imformation to make sure he has the same opportunities as the next person."

My son-in-law is dyslexic. He was diagnosed late, around 14 his mum said. For years he was thought of as "special" and had extra tuition, it was his special ed teacher that thought he might be dyslexic and he had the tests.

He went on to join the navy and the marines. After leaving the services he formed his own construction company.

He married my beautiful, smart (three degrees) daughter. My sister is married to an Italian and her daughter doesn't speak English. He taught himself Italian and Brazilian (my niece was adopted from Brazil) so he could talk to them.

Dyslexia is not the end of the world. Einstein and Richard Branston had/has dyslexia and I'm sure you'll agree they haven't done too badly.

I hope this is encouraging for you and enable you to support your son.

"my youngest son is dyslexic,we were told when he was sixteen,two months before his o levels.

we suspected dyslexia,by the time he was six,and informed the school.they assured us he was not dyslexic,and made us feel like over anxious parents. we questioned this through out his time at school,and were always told and made to feel the same.

by the time he was diagnosed,his self esteem,was at rock bottom.

he did get help with his o levels,he was given his questions verbally,and answered verbally,and to be honest,he done really well.it did make us think,had he been diagnosed from day one,how much better could he have done.

we never doubted his intelligence,as he always seemed to instinctively know,the best way to do some things.

it's frustrating as a parent,it must be so much worse for the child.

be patient,good luck.

short list of dyslexics

albert einstein

winston churchill

richard branson

leonardo da vinci

andy warhol

picasso

johnny depp

orlando bloom

steven spielberg

thomas edison

george washington

it's a long list of genius.

"

Since we found out yesterday,we spoke to his school and he will be getting longer to do his exams and someone will be reading the questions for him,he has also been given a laptop for English and like yourselves wish we had been given the information sooner,so we could've helped him more at home...this news has now explained a few things,he played trombone in a youth brass band and was doing really well to begin with then he just gave it up out of the blue,when we asked him at the time why,he said it was because his friends made fun of him but he has now admitted that he couldn't read the music properly and we found it strange that he was the only teenager we knew that didn't want a mobile phone,he says he could read the texts he received but couldn't reply to them properly and friends made fun of him,so he thought it would be easier to not have a phone...now we have the proper information,we can all work together to give him the support he needs to achieve all he wants to do in the future.

"Thanks for the replies...we have always encouraged him to do well in subjects that he enjoys,science and CDT...he would love to pursue a career in the army as a mechanic as he's always loved taking things apart and putting them back together,even if they weren't broken in the first place and would like to be able to help him achieve this...hopefully now we know this,we can do everything we can get the correct imformation to make sure he has the same opportunities as the next person.

My son-in-law is dyslexic. He was diagnosed late, around 14 his mum said. For years he was thought of as "special" and had extra tuition, it was his special ed teacher that thought he might be dyslexic and he had the tests.

He went on to join the navy and the marines. After leaving the services he formed his own construction company.

He married my beautiful, smart (three degrees) daughter. My sister is married to an Italian and her daughter doesn't speak English. He taught himself Italian and Brazilian (my niece was adopted from Brazil) so he could talk to them.

Dyslexia is not the end of the world. Einstein and Richard Branston had/has dyslexia and I'm sure you'll agree they haven't done too badly.

I hope this is encouraging for you and enable you to support your son."

» Add a new message to this topic