FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > happy dwali

happy dwali

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *iamondsmiles. OP   Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

anyone celebratinh the festival of light. one of the few things i miss about living in leicester

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

those celebrating this festival... Have a good one x

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

Aren't you about a week early for Diwali?....or is my calendar one of those cheap ones that has everything about face?

Could be....

Torquay

Anyway....'Subha Dipawali ki mangalmaya subha kaamanaa'

"Aren't you about a week early for Diwali?....or is my calendar one of those cheap ones that has everything about face?

Could be.... "

they switched the lights on last night and started celebrating. so i guess we are both right in away. well in leicester anyway lol

By *upitersmileCouple  over a year ago

Manchester

Our neighbours are Sikhs and we have been invited over for fireworks next week. I doubt they have the wrong date lol

They usually do something at the school too and haven't heard about anything yet

Torquay

"Aren't you about a week early for Diwali?....or is my calendar one of those cheap ones that has everything about face?

Could be.... they switched the lights on last night and started celebrating. so i guess we are both right in away. well in leicester anyway lol"

They do start a week before you are right, it's a lovely time and I miss it living down here now.

By *mumaWoman  over a year ago

Livingston

Dwali is next Tuesday, 13th.

"Anyway....'Subha Dipawali ki mangalmaya subha kaamanaa'

"

show off lol when i sent cards to my friends i got the man in the shop to write it for me

Manchester

Could be.... they switched the lights on last night and started celebrating. so i guess we are both right in away. well in leicester anyway lol"

Ah, I see. They have it right though. Celebrate and switch in the lights just a week before. Manchester Xmas lights are turning on on Friday!!! Far to early

By *ourbonKissMan  over a year ago

a land up north..... of leicester

It is next week, but Happy Diwali fabsters! X

When i lived in leicester i lived right in the middle of the golden mile, so named because the amount of gold/jewelry shops in such a small area.

It was roughly 97% asian/indian, so we just celebrated the festivals with them.

What used to happen was the shope keepers would sponsor the dwali lights and on the other side of the lights was merry christmas, so once dwali was over they changed the lights over. Its such a beuatiful celebration and our friends used to come round so we could see all the children in their finery. Very difficult to get out the front door as it was so packed. But very family orientated.

Torquay

My brother served with the Gurkhas for a short time and they still to this day keep in touch with him at the time of Diwali, it's a lovely festival and full of kindness and love to all.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I don't oppose those for whom Diwali is an annual festival and part of their culture but I don't think it's something that should be imposed upon the rest of UK society if they don't live in towns where there is a high concentration of Asians.

I'm not racist but I prefer to live under the umbrella of my own culture and leave those who have a different culture to follow their beliefs within their own communities.

"I don't oppose those for whom Diwali is an annual festival and part of their culture but I don't think it's something that should be imposed upon the rest of UK society if they don't live in towns where there is a high concentration of Asians.

I'm not racist but I prefer to live under the umbrella of my own culture and leave those who have a different culture to follow their beliefs within their own communities."

Ive only seen it celebrated where there is a high concentration of asian people, they dont celebrate it here and as i said above (and i dont know if its everywhere) its the shop keepers that sponser it

"I don't oppose those for whom Diwali is an annual festival and part of their culture but I don't think it's something that should be imposed upon the rest of UK society if they don't live in towns where there is a high concentration of Asians.

I'm not racist but I prefer to live under the umbrella of my own culture and leave those who have a different culture to follow their beliefs within their own communities.

Ive only seen it celebrated where there is a high concentration of asian people, they dont celebrate it here and as i said above (and i dont know if its everywhere) its the shop keepers that sponser it"

I know, it's the same in Luton where I'm from but not up here. I just don't appreciate people wishing me a Happy Diwali when it means absolutely nothing to me. When I lived and worked down south I used to get told off by asians if I wished them Happy Christmas for exactly the same reason - it meant nothing to them.

Ive only seen it celebrated where there is a high concentration of asian people, they dont celebrate it here and as i said above (and i dont know if its everywhere) its the shop keepers that sponser it

I know, it's the same in Luton where I'm from but not up here. I just don't appreciate people wishing me a Happy Diwali when it means absolutely nothing to me. When I lived and worked down south I used to get told off by asians if I wished them Happy Christmas for exactly the same reason - it meant nothing to them."

I wasnt wishing you happy dwali, i was wishing the people that celebrate it.

Go and be miserable to those that wish it to you personally

I know, it's the same in Luton where I'm from but not up here. I just don't appreciate people wishing me a Happy Diwali when it means absolutely nothing to me. When I lived and worked down south I used to get told off by asians if I wished them Happy Christmas for exactly the same reason - it meant nothing to them.

I wasnt wishing you happy dwali, i was wishing the people that celebrate it.

Go and be miserable to those that wish it to you personally"

I've walked the golden mile many times around Diwali, but the best thing I ever saw was one night when I'd taken a diversion of my training route down Ross Walk in Leicester. Right down near the bottom there was a temple in what I could only describe as converted lockup garage. This temple had no bulbs and was lit just by a myriad of candles. I stood transfixed at the window as the person orchestrating the ceremony rang small bells and incense burned whilst those sat looked on.

I'm not a greatly religious person by any means, and I'm certainly not one to grab an alternate faith in a hurry, but just the sight of that made me feel something deep from within. To believe in life is very important. It doesn't matter what your beliefs are, you just have to believe in order to get through life.

Long message for me, but hey ho - just wanted to share that.

Wolf

I think that was the temple we used to go too, ross walk ran along the bottom of my street. We used to go to it to see our friends children doing the dancing and singing, then over to cossinton park for the fireworks.

I dont know if its true but someone said its the biggest dwali celebrations in the country

"I wasnt wishing you happy dwali, i was wishing the people that celebrate it.

Go and be miserable to those that wish it to you personally"

As usual, people post on an open forum and get shitty if someone doesn't post fluffy bunny a reply to it but puts a different _iew forward instead.

I would estimate that Diwali means sod all to 90% of the people in this country. A few bright lights is always nice to see but I prefer to see them in December at Christmastime.

Manchester

As usual, people post on an open forum and get shitty if someone doesn't post fluffy bunny a reply to it but puts a different _iew forward instead.

I would estimate that Diwali means sod all to 90% of the people in this country. A few bright lights is always nice to see but I prefer to see them in December at Christmastime."

If only they stuck to December. They put them up so early I get of the sight of them come Xmas!!

"I think that was the temple we used to go too, ross walk ran along the bottom of my street. We used to go to it to see our friends children doing the dancing and singing, then over to cossinton park for the fireworks.

I dont know if its true but someone said its the biggest dwali celebrations in the country"

Yes it's the largest celebrations outside of India here. I love shopping up there, people are extremely courteous.. you can wander in and out of the Saree and authentic Gentswear shops and household emporiums at will, not to mention the multitude of jewellers. It makes for a fascinating afternoon and you see very plainly the love affair that is and always has been India.

Wolf

"I would estimate that Diwali means sod all to 90% of the people in this country. A few bright lights is always nice to see but I prefer to see them in December at Christmastime.

If only they stuck to December. They put them up so early I get of the sight of them come Xmas!!"

Well, yeah, there is that. I understand why some companies start advertising Xmas sales drive in October if they have a lead time of 8 weeks to get the product to the customer (DFS is the one I have in mind) but as for lights & decs.. Kick Christmas into December lol

I would estimate that Diwali means sod all to 90% of the people in this country. A few bright lights is always nice to see but I prefer to see them in December at Christmastime."

no one got shitty, where used to your replys by now, but as the post wasnt aimed at you personally, you should save it and tell the ones that do personally wish you happy dwali

"where used to your replys by now"

What's that supposed to mean? Are you spokeswoman for all of Fab now?

My inbox often contains messages from people too scared to say what they really think because the fluffy bunny brigade will jump all over them for daring to speak their minds. Fortunately, I say what I think and don't really care if people disagree with it.

Happy 5th November.

i love indian food

happy dawali

"where used to your replys by now

What's that supposed to mean? Are you spokeswoman for all of Fab now?

My inbox often contains messages from people too scared to say what they really think because the fluffy bunny brigade will jump all over them for daring to speak their minds. Fortunately, I say what I think and don't really care if people disagree with it.

Happy 5th November."

you get more like a bear with a sore head happy 5th of november

Torquay

To me the beauty of Diwali is the willingness by the community that it directly involves to share this happiness with total strangers of differing religions.

When I worked at Kings College I would go home laden with sweets and savouries from colleagues who were celebrating the festival.

Most of these people I had barely seen before, let alone made friends with, but it didn't stop them from sharing their happiness with me and other Christians (and Jews) who worked in the hospital.

I certainly wasn't ever offended by this show of peace and happiness....

"To me the beauty of Diwali is the willingness by the community that it directly involves to share this happiness with total strangers of differing religions.

When I worked at Kings College I would go home laden with sweets and savouries from colleagues who were celebrating the festival.

Most of these people I had barely seen before, let alone made friends with, but it didn't stop them from sharing their happiness with me and other Christians (and Jews) who worked in the hospital.

"

it didnt rub off on u tho did it

Torquay

"To me the beauty of Diwali is the willingness by the community that it directly involves to share this happiness with total strangers of differing religions.

it didnt rub off on u tho did it "

You know nothing about me....you assume far too much.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Enjoy the build up and happy Diwali for next week.

I wish everyone well on all of the holidays, whether they are ones I celebrate or not. Someone somewhere is celebrating.

Christmas isn't about gifts and cards but it has become a celebration of shopping and wrapping. If that is the British culture, fine, but I think there is a bit of room for celebrating other aspects of British culture. That now includes Diwali.

Ooo, love Diwali as I love the food!

"Ooo, love Diwali as I love the food! "

Now there is a suprise

» Add a new message to this topic