FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > council house

council house

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

re the story that two brothers are going to be evicted from their house because it cant be handed down.

right or wrong?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

If they both lived there with the previous renter and sadly that person has passed away... Yes you should be able to.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"If they both lived there with the previous renter and sadly that person has passed away... Yes you should be able to."

I agree. You can't just evict people on to the streets if there able to carry on the upkeep of the house.

yes they did, the family have lived there for 73 years btw one is

68 and one 58, so not children

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman  over a year ago

Deviant City

this happened when my nan passed away this year. My Aunty (nans daughter) who was their as her carer couldn't have the house as her name had only been on the rent book for 3 months and it had to be 6 months.

They gave her 4 weeks to leave

Vary wrong I lived I the house I wAs born in with my brother and mum and when she died the housing told us we had 4weeks to find a 2 bedroom as our house was a 3 so after 35 years we had to say goodbye to the street and neighbours we loved just so they could move in a family of half wits..now I can't bare to go down the street any more

"Vary wrong I lived I the house I wAs born in with my brother and mum and when she died the housing told us we had 4weeks to find a 2 bedroom as our house was a 3 so after 35 years we had to say goodbye to the street and neighbours we loved just so they could move in a family of half wits..now I can't bare to go down the street any more

"

that must have been very hard,and im sorry for you.but what about the family who have been waiting for a house and now have one,there is always 2 sides

Well yes I know what you saying but I was like losing another family member our family had been it that house for Over 62 years in all just so wrong that they give the house to neighbours from hell, I been told the they the 2 woman that live there ( not 3) are on the dole and get d*unk most nights shouting..,

When me and my bro had jobs and payed full rent they even cut down my dads apple tree ..ffs

"Well yes I know what you saying but I was like losing another family member our family had been it that house for Over 62 years in all just so wrong that they give the house to neighbours from hell, I been told the they the 2 woman that live there ( not 3) are on the dole and get d*unk most nights shouting..,

When me and my bro had jobs and payed full rent they even cut down my dads apple tree ..ffs"

i understand your point,and im sure it was very hard, but it was never your house. we rent privatly as there are no council houses in our area going,we had to move suddenly a few months ago when the landlord needed to sell the house, luckly we found a lovely place but it costs 3 times council rent , we are lucky as we can , just , afford to, but im sure there are many not so lucky.

its a tough question and im not sure if i have the answer

On the other side of this my Nan is sat in a 3 bed house alone, that she can't manage because she'd like a two bed bungalow which they won't give her so they leave her there!

"On the other side of this my Nan is sat in a 3 bed house alone, that she can't manage because she'd like a two bed bungalow which they won't give her so they leave her there!"

thats mad

We in the end it's just a house took a long time to let go but in the end I moved out of Leicester to Leeds and happy but do miss it

"We in the end it's just a house took a long time to let go but in the end I moved out of Leicester to Leeds and happy but do miss it"

know what you mean, my parents still live in the house i grew up in, and going back is great, but the big differance is they bought it so its theirs, my question is should you be entitled to keep a councilhouse just because your family has been there along time, and often the house is bigger than needed, when others are waiting for said house.

while i understand the sadness of moving and loosing a house often soon after loosing a loved one, im not sure that you should have a right to stay.

maybe im beeing to simplistic, and my intention isnt to upset anyone

"We in the end it's just a house took a long time to let go but in the end I moved out of Leicester to Leeds and happy but do miss it

know what you mean, my parents still live in the house i grew up in, and going back is great, but the big differance is they bought it so its theirs, my question is should you be entitled to keep a councilhouse just because your family has been there along time, and often the house is bigger than needed, when others are waiting for said house.

while i understand the sadness of moving and loosing a house often soon after loosing a loved one, im not sure that you should have a right to stay.

maybe im beeing to simplistic, and my intention isnt to upset anyone"

I think if you would be entitled to be on the council list then yes you should be able to stay in the house

Well we had kids as well 2boys 1 girl so at week end are kind would stay over so we needed the room

My father bought our house in the 80s under the right to buy scheme and he got it for £10k. If the family in the OP had lived in their house for 63 years and not bought it from the council then it's their own goddam fault for being asked to leave a property they have no automatic right to remain in. Sure the council could handle these things with a little more compassion and even-handedness but legally, the brothers haven't got a leg to stand on.

By *edbagioMan  over a year ago

ripon

"My father bought our house in the 80s under the right to buy scheme and he got it for £10k. If the family in the OP had lived in their house for 63 years and not bought it from the council then it's their own goddam fault for being asked to leave a property they have no automatic right to remain in. Sure the council could handle these things with a little more compassion and even-handedness but legally, the brothers haven't got a leg to stand on."
hard to be kicked out of your home had this myself feel gutted in a way hard to move on but its life now

"My father bought our house in the 80s under the right to buy scheme and he got it for £10k. If the family in the OP had lived in their house for 63 years and not bought it from the council then it's their own goddam fault for being asked to leave a property they have no automatic right to remain in. Sure the council could handle these things with a little more compassion and even-handedness but legally, the brothers haven't got a leg to stand on."

wasnt 10k alot in the 80,s

Good for your father! But not everyone is able to afford to buy their council house, or maintain it if they do, and some can't get the right to buy. It's not always as black and white as it seems.

The house my Nan is in, she's been living in for 50 years, my mother was born in it. Yes my grandparents could have probably bought it a few times over with the rent they've paid but my Nan is on her own now and very poorly, she couldn't maintain it like it needs, where the council have changed the fireplace for her, updated her kitchen and turned her coal shed into a downstairs loo and utility room.

"My father bought our house in the 80s under the right to buy scheme and he got it for £10k. If the family in the OP had lived in their house for 63 years and not bought it from the council then it's their own goddam fault for being asked to leave a property they have no automatic right to remain in. Sure the council could handle these things with a little more compassion and even-handedness but legally, the brothers haven't got a leg to stand on.

Good for your father! But not everyone is able to afford to buy their council house, or maintain it if they do, and some can't get the right to buy. It's not always as black and white as it seems.

The house my Nan is in, she's been living in for 50 years, my mother was born in it. Yes my grandparents could have probably bought it a few times over with the rent they've paid but my Nan is on her own now and very poorly, she couldn't maintain it like it needs, where the council have changed the fireplace for her, updated her kitchen and turned her coal shed into a downstairs loo and utility room. "

still you got a nice bum out of it tho

A council house is there for the council to decide its best use. It is not and has never been yours to decide who lives there. Perhaps one generation of the ongoing family dynasty living in them ought to think about getting a job so that the council house can be used by someone who desperatrly needs it, rather than someone with an inflated sense of self entitlement?

"A council house is there for the council to decide its best use. It is not and has never been yours to decide who lives there. Perhaps one generation of the ongoing family dynasty living in them ought to think about getting a job so that the council house can be used by someone who desperatrly needs it, rather than someone with an inflated sense of self entitlement? "

Wrong to assume that everyone in council houses don't work. My brother lives in one and works for the ambulance service.

Council housing is affordable housing. In order to be able to afford private rent (we're not high on the councils priority list) we had to move about 60 miles away.

they should be allowed to stay there,

why have kids if you cant afford to buy a house?

"they should be allowed to stay there,

why have kids if you cant afford to buy a house?"

We can afford to buy a house, but are saving for a deposit. I can also afford my children too thank you.

Too many people thinking about stereotypes.

Council housing was started originally as affordable housing for FAMILIES!

"A council house is there for the council to decide its best use. It is not and has never been yours to decide who lives there. Perhaps one generation of the ongoing family dynasty living in them ought to think about getting a job so that the council house can be used by someone who desperatrly needs it, rather than someone with an inflated sense of self entitlement?

Wrong to assume that everyone in council houses don't work. My brother lives in one and works for the ambulance service.

Council housing is affordable housing. In order to be able to afford private rent (we're not high on the councils priority list) we had to move about 60 miles away."

same forus, we chose not to move areas due to schools, but have to pay alot for the privalage

sorry that reads as two very differant answers

"My father bought our house in the 80s under the right to buy scheme and he got it for £10k. If the family in the OP had lived in their house for 63 years and not bought it from the council then it's their own goddam fault for being asked to leave a property they have no automatic right to remain in. Sure the council could handle these things with a little more compassion and even-handedness but legally, the brothers haven't got a leg to stand on.

wasnt 10k alot in the 80,s"

It was but the comparative house prices of today are nowhere near affordable for those earning wages in the same bracket as my father did 30 years ago. My parents struggled but they always met the mortgage each month and that same house is now worth £170k (they sold it and moved on many years ago).

What I'm trying to say is that anyone with a bit of nuance about them would have bought their house when the councils were selling them off piecemeal in the 80s and those that didn't can have no complaints now when the council determines that the house they live in is needed by a bigger family. There would be an outcry if a family of 6 were housed in a one-bed flat and 6 single people were occupying 6 3-bed semis.

sorry that reads as two very differant answers"

They were there first.

these days people dont get married, start a family and stay together.

also there is more birth control available.

i dont see why people with kids should expect to be given priority over a single person who maybe more careful and responsible.

wasnt 10k alot in the 80,s

It was but the comparative house prices of today are nowhere near affordable for those earning wages in the same bracket as my father did 30 years ago. My parents struggled but they always met the mortgage each month and that same house is now worth £170k (they sold it and moved on many years ago).

What I'm trying to say is that anyone with a bit of nuance about them would have bought their house when the councils were selling them off piecemeal in the 80s and those that didn't can have no complaints now when the council determines that the house they live in is needed by a bigger family. There would be an outcry if a family of 6 were housed in a one-bed flat and 6 single people were occupying 6 3-bed semis."

i have to agree with this, the only way to be safe in your home is to own it

ripon

btw 10 k a lot now never mind the 80s

hard for singles to get on in housing no such thing as affordable on your own

They were there first.

i dont see why people with kids should expect to be given priority over a single person who maybe more careful and responsible."

just to pay devils adovcate i don't see why a family looking after there old people should have to pay for a single person who has no children to be cared for in there old age (its swings and roundabouts) people only see they are paying for families if they are single they forget that they will need help in there old age if they have noone they will need help to do all number of things if they get ill or just old anf frail

They were there first.

i dont see why people with kids should expect to be given priority over a single person who maybe more careful and responsible. just to pay devils adovcate i don't see why a family looking after there old people should have to pay for a single person who has no children to be cared for in there old age (its swings and roundabouts) people only see they are paying for families if they are single they forget that they will need help in there old age if they have noone they will need help to do all number of things if they get ill or just old anf frail "

yes but a lot of single people have more money anyway and can afford to pay for their nursing care, and just because you have kids does not mean they will look after you in your old age. you just hope they do.

So a single persons needs are greater than that of a child? No I don't see it myself.

I'm married, with two children. I stay at home with the children due to childcare costs and hubby works, a LOT. Our rent is currently £600 per month, where in a council property it would be about £450. We would be able to save and buy a house much quicker in a council property.

You state singles have more money to pay for their care in old age so surely they can buy too?

By *azmissy67Woman  over a year ago

welshpool area

At the beginning of the year i was in a privately rented house and the landlord wanted it back to 'develop'. We were giving the right time in notices and i was in contact with the council who assured me that suitable housing would be found for me and my children. A few months down the line and the eviction date only a days away nothing was found and we were told it would have to be a bed and breakfast so it ended up with me having to beg to private landlords to rent a house to us. Luckily we found something suitable but the stress levels were unbelievable.

The council told me the only properties they could offer me were too small - i have 4 children but i knew of a couple of houses in my area that were large enough with only one resident ! Obviously the availability of council housing is not what it used to be because of people buying their houses and until you are actually in the situation i was in you dont fully understand the dire state of the situation.

Council housing should be there for those that need it and quite frankly it p***es me off when people abuse that right - not that I'm saying any previous posters have - but a fairer system needs to be sorted.

i just dont think its very fair that single people cant get a council house.

there are old people living near us and some people with kids and i know which ones i prefer living near me.

cant feed em dont breed em.

Depends on how big the house is if it is too big for them the council will make them downsize or make them pay for the spare rooms they have which they may not be able to afford. The council are introducing the bedroom tax along with the new universal credits x

"i just dont think its very fair that single people cant get a council house.

there are old people living near us and some people with kids and i know which ones i prefer living near me.

cant feed em dont breed em."

Single people CAN get housing, they go on the list like everyone else and it's given in order of priority.

mmmmm many questions here,

1 is it a big house.

2 are they annoying neighbors.

3 are they looking after the property properly.

4 will they be homeless if evicted.

If its a big house and they can move striaght into a flat then its fine ,but if there being dumped on the streets then no its so wrong , leave them be.

Just to add there is just not enough housing stock in the council system and very long queues on the waiting lists. Not sure if you can but back when you could by your own council house it was great to get on the housing market or property ladder but the problem was the councils did not put the money back in to building new houses for the people on the waiting lists. So a vicious circle less properties and longer waiting lists.

"Depends on how big the house is if it is too big for them the council will make them downsize or make them pay for the spare rooms they have which they may not be able to afford. The council are introducing the bedroom tax along with the new universal credits x"

Wow didn't know this! Any ideas when its coming in ?

Single people CAN get housing, they go on the list like everyone else and it's given in order of priority. "

so why do social security tell girls to get pregnant if they want a council house?

Much as I feel for these two fellas, it all comes down to what was in the original tenancy agreement all those years ago and how it covered security of tenure after the original tenant passed away.

It may well be morally wrong, but if it's legally correct, I don't see any way round it other than for the council to back down - and you can bet they won't do that as they will open a hornets nest for every other tenant on their books having set a precdent...

Pork

"Just to add there is just not enough housing stock in the council system and very long queues on the waiting lists. Not sure if you can but back when you could by your own council house it was great to get on the housing market or property ladder but the problem was the councils did not put the money back in to building new houses for the people on the waiting lists. So a vicious circle less properties and longer waiting lists."

I think there's a certain percentage of new builds that have to be council housing, will check on that. But you're right, the house we're renting is ex council so we're smack bang in the middle of a council estate and there are lots of families and they're all lovely, couldn't be a nicer street. I have done living next to older people, singles etc and they have been a nightmare for one reason or another.

I have to agree why do people with children think they have more right to a council house than people without. If a single person has been in a large council house why should they be kicked out just because someone with children finds themselves in an unfortunate position? That would.mean any single person could never feel secure or have peace of mind. So to moan that someone single should be kicked out of a council house just so someone with kids can have it makes no sense to me.

well I dont know if they should,stay, if they are both earning they should be able to rent privately, there parents were probably put in the house because they have two children at the time, but although it's sad I'm sure there is a family with children probably crammed somewhere waiting for that council house, it's not there house and I feel the council need to prioritise and a private rent between two grown men shouldn't be too much. sorry to be negative it's just my opinion, as I know what it's like to be crammed in a one room bed sit waiting for a council house with my parents and three sisters when I was young ... x

Single people CAN get housing, they go on the list like everyone else and it's given in order of priority.

so why do social security tell girls to get pregnant if they want a council house?"

I've never heard that, nor did I going on the list as a young single woman looking to leave home, I was just told to bid on suitable properties, in my case, one bedroom flats and if I were successful I would be contacted. But in those cases, the elderly get priority. Which is fair enough.

"Depends on how big the house is if it is too big for them the council will make them downsize or make them pay for the spare rooms they have which they may not be able to afford. The council are introducing the bedroom tax along with the new universal credits x

Wow didn't know this! Any ideas when its coming in ?"

It started where I live (London) but only in the respect of Housing Benefit. If you are occupying a house with spare bedrooms then housing benefit will make a reduction in the amount they pay depending on how many spare bedrooms you have and then you have to pay the extra.

"I have to agree why do people with children think they have more right to a council house than people without. If a single person has been in a large council house why should they be kicked out just because someone with children finds themselves in an unfortunate position? That would.mean any single person could never feel secure or have peace of mind. So to moan that someone single should be kicked out of a council house just so someone with kids can have it makes no sense to me."

very well said.

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

It depends on the council allocation policy and how big the house this. they would not be entitled to it if it is a large property. also the council are crying out for larger properties. they will be given sheltered housing. also given they have no children they are not in priority need.

Bedroom tax is coming in when universal credits which is April

"Just to add there is just not enough housing stock in the council system and very long queues on the waiting lists. Not sure if you can but back when you could by your own council house it was great to get on the housing market or property ladder but the problem was the councils did not put the money back in to building new houses for the people on the waiting lists. So a vicious circle less properties and longer waiting lists.

I think there's a certain percentage of new builds that have to be council housing, will check on that. But you're right, the house we're renting is ex council so we're smack bang in the middle of a council estate and there are lots of families and they're all lovely, couldn't be a nicer street. I have done living next to older people, singles etc and they have been a nightmare for one reason or another."

The percentage of new builds has to be 'Affordable Housing' which usually means it's actually a Housing Association. Maybe via the Council, but an HA will be behind it.

By *upitersmileCouple  over a year ago

Manchester

I grew up in two council houses. My dad bought his 20 years ago which was a new build in the early 80s, £50 a month mortgage! He rattles around in it on his own. My mum and stepdad are now in their 50s and only now in a position to buy, but refuse to. The way they see it why buy when they still have a cheap rent- £320 month. If they bought they would then have to maintain it if anything went wrong. They would rather spend any spare money on a decent standard of life than worrying about the boiler breaking or anything major work needing to be done. In the last few years they have had new kitchen and bathroom and the house has been rewired.

Not all families can get council houses. We have 3 kids and have been on the list for 7 years. We rent privately at £650 a month while saving for a deposit, which is slow progress due to our high rent

"Just to add there is just not enough housing stock in the council system and very long queues on the waiting lists. Not sure if you can but back when you could by your own council house it was great to get on the housing market or property ladder but the problem was the councils did not put the money back in to building new houses for the people on the waiting lists. So a vicious circle less properties and longer waiting lists.

I think there's a certain percentage of new builds that have to be council housing, will check on that. But you're right, the house we're renting is ex council so we're smack bang in the middle of a council estate and there are lots of families and they're all lovely, couldn't be a nicer street. I have done living next to older people, singles etc and they have been a nightmare for one reason or another.

The percentage of new builds has to be 'Affordable Housing' which usually means it's actually a Housing Association. Maybe via the Council, but an HA will be behind it. "

Thank you! Knew it was something like that

By *r and Mrs SnogalotCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Depends on how big the house is if it is too big for them the council will make them downsize or make them pay for the spare rooms they have which they may not be able to afford. The council are introducing the bedroom tax along with the new universal credits x

It worries me that a lot of peole have no clue about Welfare Reforms and changes to the housing benefit system thatbthe government are introducing. That being said under occupancy in affordable housing is a huge problem and needs to be resolved. Not by charging vulnerable people bedroom tax particularly where a smaller property is not avaialable.

"Just to add there is just not enough housing stock in the council system and very long queues on the waiting lists. Not sure if you can but back when you could by your own council house it was great to get on the housing market or property ladder but the problem was the councils did not put the money back in to building new houses for the people on the waiting lists. So a

vicious circle less properties and longer waiting lists.

The percentage of new builds has to be 'Affordable Housing' which usually means it's actually a Housing Association. Maybe via the Council, but an HA will be behind it. "

5% i think it is.

Well I'm a single mum with 3 kids and I'm in a brand new house which is a housing association ! I have a very good job and could afford a hefty mortgage but then I wouldn't have much left to enjoy my kids, flat I was in previously was a two bed which I was given as a single person the reason I was able to get a two bed was I took a flat in the toughest most run down area in the town which everyone thought was bonkers since I moved from a really affluent village down the road but I loved it everyone of my neighbours were the types of people forever being mentioned on here as being drains on society and do you know what there's a better sense of community here than the village where I was brought up where they're all snobs that are so high and mighty up their own arses

When my flat was demolished I got my nice new house which I have the right to buy now as I'm over 12 years living with the association I'm contemplating buying it however there's a family up the street have a lovely 5 bed and I'm hoping they're going to do a swap as two teenagers are moving out and my right to buy transfers with me !

"Just to add there is just not enough housing stock in the council system and very long queues on the waiting lists. Not sure if you can but back when you could by your own council house it was great to get on the housing market or property ladder but the problem was the councils did not put the money back in to building new houses for the people on the waiting lists. So a

vicious circle less properties and longer waiting lists.

The percentage of new builds has to be 'Affordable Housing' which usually means it's actually a Housing Association. Maybe via the Council, but an HA will be behind it.

5% i think it is. "

Sounds about right, but it's only on developments over a certain number of new homes. Don't know how many though..

Housing benefits do not just apply to benefits but low income families who also. claim housing benefits.

The council will pay for you to downsize plus help with removal costs etc.

I am in a council flat 2 bedrooms have been for nearly 15 years cant get on the list because I am adequately housed have been inspected etc and they told me if need be to convert my living room into a third bedroom although its open planned with kitchen attached etc.

I am on all the exchange lists for a swap not much joy as not many people want a flat although I am in a good area. But to be honest if I moved another few years when my eldest leaves I would have to downsize anyway x

"Housing benefits do not just apply to benefits but low income families who also. claim housing benefits.

I am in a council flat 2 bedrooms have been for nearly 15 years cant get on the list because I am adequately housed have been inspected etc and they told me if need be to convert my living room into a third bedroom although its open planned with kitchen attached etc.

I am on all the exchange lists for a swap not much joy as not many people want a flat although I am in a good area. But to be honest if I moved another few years when my eldest leaves I would have to downsize anyway x"

Sister in law has had to do the same in her very small flat. Yes she has two girls but one is 12 and the other 4 so naturally the 12 year old requires some privacy but her housing association just said the lounge is a bedroom.

lots of people work minimum wage. Such as a carer who mite look after you when your old or the cleaner who cleans your place of work. Anyone working minimum wage cannot ever afford to buy a house. So your suggesting all of those people should not have kids? This is a new low for fascism in the forum

"Vary wrong I lived I the house I wAs born in with my brother and mum and when she died the housing told us we had 4weeks to find a 2 bedroom as our house was a 3 so after 35 years we had to say goodbye to the street and neighbours we loved just so they could move in a family of half wits..now I can't bare to go down the street any more

Tha is socially and morally unaceptable

"

This is why council houses were made in the first place for all those on low income for the nurses and trainee doctors etc

I may be mistaken but I thought there was an age limit and I thought it was 60 where they won't be looking to move people from there homes. It is morally wrong tho, these two brothers must be good tennants and liked by their neighbours otherwise this wouldn't have hit the news. Leave them where they are.

"I may be mistaken but I thought there was an age limit and I thought it was 60 where they won't be looking to move people from there homes. It is morally wrong tho, these two brothers must be good tennants and liked by their neighbours otherwise this wouldn't have hit the news. Leave them where they are. "

They are trying to put the age up will not qualify for a council property until the person is 24 or 25.

"Housing benefits do not just apply to benefits but low income families who also. claim housing benefits.

I am on all the exchange lists for a swap not much joy as not many people want a flat although I am in a good area. But to be honest if I moved another few years when my eldest leaves I would have to downsize anyway x

Sister in law has had to do the same in her very small flat. Yes she has two girls but one is 12 and the other 4 so naturally the 12 year old requires some privacy but her housing association just said the lounge is a bedroom."

Yep you can use a lounge as a bedroom..

Well that's a good thing as this could stop these young girls getting pregnant just to get a council house. I never used to believe this went on until recently but unfortunately it does

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

I have to agree with Wishy.

A school friend of mine bought hers in 2000 on the wage of 2 part time jobs.

A council house is rented social housing, it is not the tenant's right to psss it on, sad as though that might be in some cases.

If their name was on the Tenancy Agreement it can be passed down, which is carried out prior to the original Tenancy Agreement holder passing on or leaves.

If you are not on the Tenancy Agreement you may be evicted, go to the Council/housing authority and plead your case as there maybe an alternative depending on circumstances.

We can afford to buy a house, but are saving for a deposit. I can also afford my children too thank you.

Too many people thinking about stereotypes.

Council housing was started originally as affordable housing for FAMILIES!"

By *r and Mrs SnogalotCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

The cost of a new build is circa £27k. Most properties purchased under right to buy were bought at a ridiculously low price (£10k) add to that the cost of land and rebuilding becomes a challenge.

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"If their name was on the Tenancy Agreement it can be passed down, which is carried out prior to the original Tenancy Agreement holder passing on or leaves.

If you are not on the Tenancy Agreement you may be evicted, go to the Council/housing authority and plead your case as there maybe an alternative depending on circumstances."

That's the test.

IF their names were on the tenancy agreement, they ought to be fine.

Unfortunately, some people either forget to add children to the tenancy when they reach the age of 16 or deliberately leave them off the agreement to ensure they continue to receive housing benefit or council tax relief.

"The right to succeed" means that if its a husband and wife on the original Tenancy Agreement and one dies it is passed to the remaining signature to occupy the property.

In most Authorities when both original signatures are deceased the property reverts back to the Authority,the Authority normally try to rehouse the remaining occupants who should take advice from the CAB.

Glasgow

"Depends on how big the house is if it is too big for them the council will make them downsize or make them pay for the spare rooms they have which they may not be able to afford. The council are introducing the bedroom tax along with the new universal credits x"

The bedroom tax is the brainchild of Ian Duncan Smith. Councils, by and large, hate it.

It'll mean anyone on benefits under-occupying a house will have their houysing benefit reduced. The council will have less income unless they can re house everyone losing benefit into smaller accommodation - which many councils don't actually have.

Glasgow

[Removed by poster at 04/11/12 13:34:30]

Glasgow

""The right to succeed" means that if its a husband and wife on the original Tenancy Agreement and one dies it is passed to the remaining signature to occupy the property.

In most Authorities when both original signatures are deceased the property reverts back to the Authority,the Authority normally try to rehouse the remaining occupants who should take advice from the CAB."

That's not how it works in Scotland. Any child of the now deceased tenant whose name is on the tenancy agreement has automatic right of succession.

Were the two brothers in Scotland? Only in England the English are not entitled to anything but pay out.....

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I hate to admit this but I'm tending towards agreeing with Wishy on this one. Think ahead.....

"This is why council houses were made in the first place for all those on low income for the nurses and trainee doctors etc "

I may be wrong but I'm sure that they started building council houses for soldiers returning from WWll who had no where to live thanks to those nice Germans.

Brighton - even Hove!

"This is why council houses were made in the first place for all those on low income for the nurses and trainee doctors etc

I may be wrong but I'm sure that they started building council houses for soldiers returning from WWll who had no where to live thanks to those nice Germans. "

Yes that was one of the reasons.

There is limted council housing stock that is why they are relying on HA's to keep building houses.

Brighton - even Hove!

"There is limted council housing stock that is why they are relying on HA's to keep building houses. "

Ah! Because the CONservatives introduced the right to buy scheme which I agree with, however, not enough new council houses were built to replace those sold and that part of govern-mental policy I don't agree with.

By *orseydaveMan  over a year ago

Norwich NR5

Correct, I have in the last few months become involved with a homeless charity in Norwich - There are far too many homeless people who need a home, "grandfathers rights" are unfair and everyone should have equal bidding rights for their home

if they are on benefits they should hand it down .

Glasgow

One of the major challenges facing homeless folk moving into accommodation is the question of tenancy sustainability.

Many new tenancies don't survive the first 6 months - for all sorts of reasons, meaning the whole process has to be gone through again.

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple  over a year ago

Bolton

"re the story that two brothers are going to be evicted from their house because it cant be handed down.

right or wrong?"

Right, Z

Glasgow

Can someone post a link to this story?

It looks as if the posting rule re "Any well recognised news site (bbc, times, telegraph, sun, notw, cnn and all the rest)" should make this permissible.

They were there first.

i dont see why people with kids should expect to be given priority over a single person who maybe more careful and responsible."

Please can you explain why a single person is more responsible and careful?

They were there first.

i dont see why people with kids should expect to be given priority over a single person who maybe more careful and responsible.

Please can you explain why a single person is more responsible and careful?"

they use birth control for one thing.

By *eighleedsMan  over a year ago

leeds

""The right to succeed" means that if its a husband and wife on the original Tenancy Agreement and one dies it is passed to the remaining signature to occupy the property.

In most Authorities when both original signatures are deceased the property reverts back to the Authority,the Authority normally try to rehouse the remaining occupants who should take advice from the CAB."

This. i Still lived at home when my Dad died, the council tenancy then passed to my mother, I also still lived at home when my mum died, the tenancy did not then pass to me, as 'the right to succeed only aplies once'

However, Leeds City Council were fantastic whne it happend, in allowing me to stay in my parents home until a more suitable property for me in the same area became available, that was 20 years ago and i still live in the flat they found me

Glasgow

" .....

This. i Still lived at home when my Dad died, the council tenancy then passed to my mother, I also still lived at home when my mum died, the tenancy did not then pass to me, as 'the right to succeed only aplies once'

..............."

I suspect what happened was that your father, for whatever reason, held the tenancy in his sole name.

Had there been a joint tenancy, your mother wouldn't have had to 'succeed' to the tenancy, she'd have the tenancy by right already by reason of the joint aspect and you'd be the one who'd have to suceed to it.

That would have made you the first successor and you could have been there still.

Bolton

I think it's a good idea that council houses can't be passed down - it isn't theirs to pass down - it's rented. Z

Glasgow

"I think it's a good idea that council houses can't be passed down - it isn't theirs to pass down - it's rented. Z"

What about where an elderly man dies and his widow would normally succeed to the tenancy? Would you have her evicted?

Bolton

"I think it's a good idea that council houses can't be passed down - it isn't theirs to pass down - it's rented. Z

What about where an elderly man dies and his widow would normally succeed to the tenancy? Would you have her evicted?"

That isn't passing it down! Z

"There is limted council housing stock that is why they are relying on HA's to keep building houses.

Ah! Because the CONservatives introduced the right to buy scheme which I agree with, however, not enough new council houses were built to replace those sold and that part of govern-mental policy I don't agree with."

If the idea behind the Right To Buy scheme was for the govt to downsize it's property portfolio why on earth would it use the funds raised by the sale of housing stock to build more houses it doesn't want?

A person should own his or her own home - the king of his castle etc - but some folks simply don't earn enough to qualify for a mortgage, and it is these people council provided homes were originally intended for. It does not suit that if such folk then have children who go on to earn enough to buy their own home that they should continue to live in council housing.

Glasgow

"I think it's a good idea that council houses can't be passed down - it isn't theirs to pass down - it's rented. Z

What about where an elderly man dies and his widow would normally succeed to the tenancy? Would you have her evicted?

That isn't passing it down! Z"

It is if the tenancy is only in HIS name and there's still a number of tenancies out there where only the husband's name is on the agreement. It stems from the time, not so long ago, when women weren't thought of as being part of such contracts.

Another example. A husband and wife who have a joint tenancy die in a car crash leaving a 16 year old child. Should that child be evicted becuse some people believe a tenancy shouldn't be passed down?

Bolton

That isn't passing it down! Z

It is if the tenancy is only in HIS name and there's still a number of tenancies out there where only the husband's name is on the agreement. It stems from the time, not so long ago, when women weren't thought of as being part of such contracts.

Another example. A husband and wife who have a joint tenancy die in a car crash leaving a 16 year old child. Should that child be evicted becuse some people believe a tenancy shouldn't be passed down?"

if the tenancy was only in his name they were fools - i wouldn't evist a 16 year old child - neither would i leave a 16 year old child alone in a council house - what point are you trying to make? Z

By *eighleedsMan  over a year ago

leeds

" .....

I suspect what happened was that your father, for whatever reason, held the tenancy in his sole name.

Had there been a joint tenancy, your mother wouldn't have had to 'succeed' to the tenancy, she'd have the tenancy by right already by reason of the joint aspect and you'd be the one who'd have to suceed to it.

That would have made you the first successor and you could have been there still."

yup thats correct, but stil i wanted to highlight how good the council was in dealing with my situation

"Another example. A husband and wife who have a joint tenancy die in a car crash leaving a 16 year old child. Should that child be evicted becuse some people believe a tenancy shouldn't be passed down?"

A 16y/o child is not considered an adult and as such cannot enter into legal & binding contracts. The child would have to be rehoused and if there are no relatives available to take the child in he/she would go into the fostering system.

Glasgow

" ........

if the tenancy was only in his name they were fools - i wouldn't evist a 16 year old child - neither would i leave a 16 year old child alone in a council house - what point are you trying to make? Z"

That simplistic solutions don't always work.

Bolton

" ........

if the tenancy was only in his name they were fools - i wouldn't evist a 16 year old child - neither would i leave a 16 year old child alone in a council house - what point are you trying to make? Z

That simplistic solutions don't always work."

simplistic scenarios don't either! Z

Glasgow

".........

A 16y/o child is not considered an adult and as such cannot enter into legal & binding contracts......."

That'll come as a shock to many married 16 year olds.

"A 16 y/o child is not considered an adult and as such cannot enter into legal & binding contracts."

They can if it is for what is referred to as 'the necessaries of life' - ie. food, drink, education, and 'may' extend to a roof over their head... Don't think that's changed from when I studied contract law many, many moons ago...

Pork

"Another example. A husband and wife who have a joint tenancy die in a car crash leaving a 16 year old child. Should that child be evicted becuse some people believe a tenancy shouldn't be passed down?

A 16y/o child is not considered an adult and as such cannot enter into legal & binding contracts. The child would have to be rehoused and if there are no relatives available to take the child in he/she would go into the fostering system."

Not necessarily - depends what Local Authority it is as to how they dispense their duty ......... advise and assistance might be all they offer, especially if not in education or training

"Another example. A husband and wife who have a joint tenancy die in a car crash leaving a 16 year old child. Should that child be evicted becuse some people believe a tenancy shouldn't be passed down?

A 16y/o child is not considered an adult and as such cannot enter into legal & binding contracts. The child would have to be rehoused and if there are no relatives available to take the child in he/she would go into the fostering system.

Not necessarily - depends what Local Authority it is as to how they dispense their duty ......... advise and assistance might be all they offer, especially if not in education or training "

*advice

".........

A 16y/o child is not considered an adult and as such cannot enter into legal & binding contracts.......

That'll come as a shock to many married 16 year olds."

16y/o children can only marry with their parents consent or, if there are no parents around anymore, with the consent of the Court.

Apologies. I was wrong regarding 16y/o's and legally entering into a contract:

"

from NetLawman:

A minor is someone under the age of 18 years according to the Births and Deaths Registration Amendment Act (No 1 of 2002). This is called the age of majority. The age of majority was reduced from 21 to 18 years by this Act.

To form a legally binding contract there must be an offer, acceptance and an intention to create a legally binding contract. The law presumes that some people do not have the power to make contracts. These people are:

•Children under 7 years;

•People who are mentally insane;

•People who are very d*unk or drugged.

A minor can therefore, enter into a contract. However, the law always assumes that a minor cannot understand the implications of a contract. So, whatever caveat is drafted into the contract, a minor will remain protected even to the disadvantage of the other party."

No it isn't as a succession can only pass once. The local authority should deem them homeless and award them full points as it is not their fault. The landlord, if its a housing association or the local authority can offer them somewhere else but they don't have to. In our case, we do not give tenancies to under 18's. Also if they have not lived there for more than 12 months, they cannot succeed to a tenancy.

The family can however fight the ruling if they wish as we had where the remaining tenant had died (who had already succeeded their partner) and they had a son who had moved into the property with them. They argued that as he had mental health needs, losing his parent was bad enough but being evicted could possibly send him over the edge. Given his mental health, his age and the support of the family who lived locally, it was agreed to allow him to stay

"Apologies. I was wrong regarding 16y/o's and legally entering into a contract:

from NetLawman:

A minor is someone under the age of 18 years according to the Births and Deaths Registration Amendment Act (No 1 of 2002). This is called the age of majority. The age of majority was reduced from 21 to 18 years by this Act.

To form a legally binding contract there must be an offer, acceptance and an intention to create a legally binding contract. The law presumes that some people do not have the power to make contracts. These people are:

•Children under 7 years;

•People who are mentally insane;

•People who are very d*unk or drugged.

A minor can therefore, enter into a contract. However, the law always assumes that a minor cannot understand the implications of a contract. So, whatever caveat is drafted into the contract, a minor will remain protected even to the disadvantage of the other party."

However 17 yr olds can have a tenancy agreement if they have a guarantor but our board overthrew it so we only give tenancies to those over 18

"If their name was on the Tenancy Agreement it can be passed down, which is carried out prior to the original Tenancy Agreement holder passing on or leaves.

If you are not on the Tenancy Agreement you may be evicted, go to the Council/housing authority and plead your case as there maybe an alternative depending on circumstances.

That's the test.

IF their names were on the tenancy agreement, they ought to be fine.

Unfortunately, some people either forget to add children to the tenancy when they reach the age of 16 or deliberately leave them off the agreement to ensure they continue to receive housing benefit or council tax relief."

Children are on a tenancy but not as a tenant and cannot be so its not a case of forgetting, we don't add children to a tenancy with a single parent for example, lets face it, if a tenant has to be 18 and the parent dies, leaving the child behind who is well under 18, they cannot succeed to the tenancy or remain in the property.

"yes they did, the family have lived there for 73 years btw one is

68 and one 58, so not children"

If that was the housing association I work for, we would look at this more closely as its not particularly fair to evict them at that age

ripon

"yes they did, the family have lived there for 73 years btw one is

68 and one 58, so not children

If that was the housing association I work for, we would look at this more closely as its not particularly fair to evict them at that age"

dont know there history but 58 and 68 wheres all there coin gone

It worries me that a lot of peole have no clue about Welfare Reforms and changes to the housing benefit system thatbthe government are introducing. That being said under occupancy in affordable housing is a huge problem and needs to be resolved. Not by charging vulnerable people bedroom tax particularly where a smaller property is not avaialable. "

The idea behind is it that there are people living in properties that are too big for them and it is a way of encouraging them to downsize. For example we had researched our 5 bedroom properties, they are 5 bed 6 and 7 person, yet we have a woman living in one by herself. There are also people living in 3 bed properties than really only need 2 bedrooms ie 1 and 2 parents with one child. And we have noticed a huge rise in mutual exchanges as people are getting out of properties they don't need and won't be able to afford before the welfare reform comes in

Glasgow

Mutual exchanges are fine.

Where it gets iffy is when pressure is put on or incentives are offered to people to give up what has perhaps been a family home for many years simply on the grounds of under-occupation.

Social housing isn't just about providing a roof, it's about building a community.

Brighton - even Hove!

"If the idea behind the Right To Buy scheme was for the govt to downsize it's property portfolio why on earth would it use the funds raised by the sale of housing stock to build more houses it doesn't want?"

A rhetorical question that is unanswerable because that wasn't the idea behind the policy. The idea was to let market forces deal with housing supply and demand and look where that has got us, people being evicted from private rental properties because rents have increased so much, less council housing for those who cannot afford private rents or afford to buy and people like the OP getting booted out.

However, if you go back to my threads, you will read what my point of _iew is.

"The idea was to let market forces deal with housing supply and demand "

If what you state is correct then the govt would have built more houses to replace the ones they sold, if they really didn't want to downsize the govt's property portfolio that is.

"Mutual exchanges are fine.

Where it gets iffy is when pressure is put on or incentives are offered to people to give up what has perhaps been a family home for many years simply on the grounds of under-occupation.

Social housing isn't just about providing a roof, it's about building a community."

Social housing isn't just about providing a roof, it's about building a community."

And that community is better served by preventing some community members from becoming disgruntled with other community members for living in a house that is bigger than they need.

I don't see why a simple rule cannot be applied:

Married couple = 1 bedroom

father and/or mother + 1 child = 2 bedrooms

2 single people = 2 bedrooms

additional children:

same sex as child 1: no extra bedrooms

opposite sex as child 1: extra bedroom.

third child regardless of sex: extra bedroom

ad infintum.

Social housing isn't just about providing a roof, it's about building a community.

And that community is better served by preventing some community members from becoming disgruntled with other community members for living in a house that is bigger than they need.

I don't see why a simple rule cannot be applied:

Married couple = 1 bedroom

father and/or mother + 1 child = 2 bedrooms

2 single people = 2 bedrooms

additional children:

same sex as child 1: no extra bedrooms

opposite sex as child 1: extra bedroom.

third child regardless of sex: extra bedroom

ad infintum."

A married couple needs two bedrooms for visitors, and they may not wish to sleep in the same bedroom all of the time.

Brighton - even Hove!

"The idea was to let market forces deal with housing supply and demand

If what you state is correct then the govt would have built more houses to replace the ones they sold, if they really didn't want to downsize the govt's property portfolio that is.

They wanted the private sector to deal with it not themselves. Like I said, I agree with the right to buy scheme but I don't agree with not supplying enough housing for those who don't or can't.

"

"A married couple needs two bedrooms for visitors, and they may not wish to sleep in the same bedroom all of the time."

That is a luxury the govt cannot grant them. A married (or non-married) couple's absolute needs are one bedroom. If they can't sleep together that's not the council's problem. Similarly, if they wish to have people sleep over who don't live there, it is not the council's duty to provide accommodation for them.

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"A married couple needs two bedrooms for visitors, and they may not wish to sleep in the same bedroom all of the time.

That is a luxury the govt cannot grant them. A married (or non-married) couple's absolute needs are one bedroom. If they can't sleep together that's not the council's problem. Similarly, if they wish to have people sleep over who don't live there, it is not the council's duty to provide

accommodation for them."

+1

Brighton - even Hove!

They wanted the private sector to deal with it not themselves. Like I said, I agree with the right to buy scheme but I don't agree with not supplying enough housing for those who don't want to buy or can't afford to. The local authority through housing benefits ends up paying the private sector which is our taxes and I'm sure you'd agree that's not such a hot idea.

"

Are you aware that a Bedroom Tax comes into force next April where empty bedroom's (not occupied/guest rooms)will be Taxed for the under 65's(expected to hit older age groups at a later date) this only applies to council/housing association properties.No extra benefits can be claimed to cover this Tax.

"A married couple needs two bedrooms for visitors, and they may not wish to sleep in the same bedroom all of the time.

That is a luxury the govt cannot grant them. A married (or non-married) couple's absolute needs are one bedroom. If they can't sleep together that's not the council's problem. Similarly, if they wish to have people sleep over who don't live there, it is not the council's duty to provide

accommodation for them.

+1 "

You wanna nuvver kiss?

accommodation for them.

+1

The love is really spreading this evening lol

You wanna nuvver kiss? "

accommodation for them.

+1

You wanna nuvver kiss?

"

See what you done.. you confused me and I put it in the wrong place lol

Brighton - even Hove!

That is a luxury the govt cannot grant them. A married (or non-married) couple's absolute needs are one bedroom. If they can't sleep together that's not the council's problem.

Similarly, if they wish to have people

sleep over who don't live there, it is not

the council's duty to provide

accommodation for them."

An agreement!!!!

accommodation for them.

+1

You wanna nuvver kiss?

See what you done.. you confused me and I put it in the wrong place lol "

Are you saying you don't wanna kiss me on the lips then?

accommodation for them.

+1

You wanna nuvver kiss?

Are you saying you don't wanna kiss me on the lips then? "

OMG I guess I should stop digging...or else I ll never get out of this hole...

Of course I would!

accommodation for them.

+1

You wanna nuvver kiss?

Are you saying you don't wanna kiss me on the lips then?

OMG I guess I should stop digging...or else I ll never get out of this hole...

Of course I would! "

Bugger! Thort I was in for a BJ then!

Brighton - even Hove!

Has anyone got a spare bedroom for these two?

"Has anyone got a spare bedroom for these two?"
Ah... you see this is a very delicately balanced relationship - Wishy and I dont always agree on things... so when we do... we need to acknowledge and celebrate the fact.

[Removed by poster at 04/11/12 21:42:04]

When we have visitors we give them our bedroom and sleep on an air bed on the living room floor. Occasional visitors are not a justification for under utilising a council house.

"When we have visitors we give them our bedroom and sleep on an air bed on the living room floor. Occasional visitors are not a justification for under utilising a council house."

Good for you.

Brighton - even Hove!

"When we have visitors we give them our bedroom and sleep on an air bed on the living room floor. Occasional visitors are not a justification for under utilising a council house."

Ours get a sofa bed

"When we have visitors we give them our bedroom and sleep on an air bed on the living room floor. Occasional visitors are not a justification for under utilising a council house.

Ours get a sofa bed "

"Has anyone got a spare bedroom for these two?

Ah... you see this is a very delicately balanced relationship - Wishy and I dont always agree on things... so when we do... we need to acknowledge and celebrate the fact. "

Besides, a BJ shuts her up for five minutes.

By *umourCouple  over a year ago

Rushden

It is a Council house! For all Council houses there is a waiting list of those deemed entitled to live in a Council house when one becomes avaiable.

What would give these two in the OP the right to jump the queue? They may have lived there, but the tenancy agreement is with the deceased person and at the point of death of a sole named tennant, it is cancelled.

There was plenty of time to apply to have the tenancy transfered to another person, before the legal tennant died or as Wishy said, to buy the property at a greatly reduced rate!

Perhaps these two should have put their names on the housing list with the Council and joined the queue like everyone else has to!

Brighton - even Hove!

I don't like queue jumpers unless I'm in line for sticky thirds.

Glasgow

"

The government doesn't actually build houses (cept for stuff like forces accomodation etc).

It's all down to private housebuilders (who've stopped building because of falling prices) and social housebuilders (local authorities/ registered social landlords) who've all but stopped building because of the reduction in things like Housing Action Grant brought about by a reduction in Con-Dem spending.

Its a sad tail but there are many families living in bedsits with kids desperate for a house. Sadly you can't keep everyone happy all of the time.

By *imon and saffyCouple  over a year ago

southampton

April 2013....

Some of the things quoted on here are blatantly wrong, it's my job to know....but I'm not going to mix business with pleasure....

Glasgow

April 2013....

Some of the things quoted on here are blatantly wrong, it's my job to know....but I'm not going to mix business with pleasure....

"

Even if you chose to share I fear it'd go down like the parable of the sower.

Brighton - even Hove!

Wasnt my post about sticky thirds was it?

"Well I'm a single mum with 3 kids and I'm in a brand new house which is a housing association ! I have a very good job and could afford a hefty mortgage but then I wouldn't have much left to enjoy my kids, flat I was in previously was a two bed which I was given as a single person the reason I was able to get a two bed was I took a flat in the toughest most run down area in the town which everyone thought was bonkers since I moved from a really affluent village down the road but I loved it everyone of my neighbours were the types of people forever being mentioned on here as being drains on society and do you know what there's a better sense of community here than the village where I was brought up where they're all snobs that are so high and mighty up their own arses

When my flat was demolished I got my nice new house which I have the right to buy now as I'm over 12 years living with the association I'm contemplating buying it however there's a family up the street have a lovely 5 bed and I'm hoping they're going to do a swap as two teenagers are moving out and my right to buy transfers with me ! "

kind of sums up what is wrong with england today

Glasgow

" ...........

When my flat was demolished I got my nice new house which I have the right to buy now as I'm over 12 years living with the association I'm contemplating buying it however there's a family up the street have a lovely 5 bed and I'm hoping they're going to do a swap as two teenagers are moving out and my right to buy transfers with me !

"

I suspect your HA would refuse to sanction such a swap.

This thread is like being at work...

Glasgow

"This thread is like being at work... "

Put in for TOIL.

"This thread is like being at work...

Put in for TOIL."

i wish

Glasgow

Put in for TOIL.

i wish "

You've got more chance of that than overtime.

Its one of the perils with renting. In the prvate sector rarely do you get longer than a 5 year contract and more common are 1yr ones. The people who own the property have ultimate say in who lives in their property. If they have lived in a family there for 30yrs plus as suggested its been a little short sighted not to purchase it with council discounts in the past then it would be theirs to say who lives there. The council will rehouse them and not throw them out on the street although it probably wont be in an area of their choice.

Put in for TOIL.

i wish

You've got more chance of that than overtime."

Lol i am lucky to have a job so not moaning

Glasgow

"Its one of the perils with renting. In the prvate sector rarely do you get longer than a 5 year contract and more common are 1yr ones. The people who own the property have ultimate say in who lives in their property. If they have lived in a family there for 30yrs plus as suggested its been a little short sighted not to purchase it with council discounts in the past then it would be theirs to say who lives there. The council will rehouse them and not throw them out on the street although it probably wont be in an area of their choice. "

In order to be able to exercise the 'right to buy', tenants have to be able to get a mortgage (or pay cash).

That's not so easy to organise, especially nowadays.

"Its one of the perils with renting. In the prvate sector rarely do you get longer than a 5 year contract and more common are 1yr ones. The people who own the property have ultimate say in who lives in their property. If they have lived in a family there for 30yrs plus as suggested its been a little short sighted not to purchase it with council discounts in the past then it would be theirs to say who lives there. The council will rehouse them and not throw them out on the street although it probably wont be in an area of their choice.

In order to be able to exercise the 'right to buy', tenants have to be able to get a mortgage (or pay cash).

That's not so easy to organise, especially nowadays."

The right to buy didn't start in the recession, by all accounts the guys have lived their for over 30 years and could have bought, 5, 10, 15, 20 or more years ago. They missed the bus and will have to move on through lack of action.

Glasgow

"Its one of the perils with renting. In the prvate sector rarely do you get longer than a 5 year contract and more common are 1yr ones. The people who own the property have ultimate say in who lives in their property. If they have lived in a family there for 30yrs plus as suggested its been a little short sighted not to purchase it with council discounts in the past then it would be theirs to say who lives there. The council will rehouse them and not throw them out on the street although it probably wont be in an area of their choice.

The right to buy didn't start in the recession, by all accounts the guys have lived their for over 30 years and could have bought, 5, 10, 15, 20 or more years ago. They missed the bus and will have to move on through lack of action. "

I've no idea if what you say is true. I've asked if anyone can post a link to the story but so far nobody has.

I suspect there's far more to this than the OP has told us.

That aside, just because someone has the 'right to buy' doesn't mean they have the means to exercise that right.

The right to buy didn't start in the recession, by all accounts the guys have lived their for over 30 years and could have bought, 5, 10, 15, 20 or more years ago. They missed the bus and will have to move on through lack of action.

I've no idea if what you say is true. I've asked if anyone can post a link to the story but so far nobody has.

That aside, just because someone has the 'right to buy' doesn't mean they have the means to exercise that right."

Any your point is?

I think they have had long enough to exercise the right as they were living with their mother and even if on the minimum wage each they would have been able to do something about it in 30 years.

I think the real point is if you don't own a property you don't have permanent rights to occupy the property.

Glasgow

That aside, just because someone has the 'right to buy' doesn't mean they have the means to exercise that right.

Any your point is?

I think they have had long enough to exercise the right as they were living with their mother and even if on the minimum wage each they would have been able to do something about it in 30 years.

I think the real point is if you don't own a property you don't have permanent rights to occupy the property. "

My point is that just because you have a 'right' doesn't mean you 'can'.

I don't know the people in question but (just assuming) they'd been unemployed all their lives - would you give them a mortgage?

It's not about being able to exercise the right to buy, it's about being able to make the payments.

Any your point is?

I think the real point is if you don't own a property you don't have permanent rights to occupy the property.

My point is that just because you have a 'right' doesn't mean you 'can'.

I don't know the people in question but (just assuming) they'd been unemployed all their lives - would you give them a mortgage?

It's not about being able to exercise the right to buy, it's about being able to make the payments."

And your point is?

I think most people can find gainful employment in the time scale on offer especially if they want to stay in their property for life.

You want the other thread "Should the state support someone from conception to burial I think".

The underlying message really, is that, if the government(s) had built more social housing with the money from rents and selling off properties in the eighties, then there would be much less of an issue and no need to force people out of there homes with only 4 weeks notice.

Glasgow

"The underlying message really, is that, if the government(s) had built more social housing with the money from rents and selling off properties in the eighties, then there would be much less of an issue and no need to force people out of there homes with only 4 weeks notice."

Government doesn't build houses. Local Authorities (LAs) and Housing Associations (HAs) build social sector housing.

The proceeds of right to buy sales were retained at Westminster. LAs and HAs lost out at all levels.

Glasgow

" .........

And your point is?

I think most people can find gainful employment in the time scale on offer especially if they want to stay in their property for life.

You want the other thread "Should the state support someone from conception to burial I think"."

Most people can find gainful employment at some point in their lives but not necesssarily at an income level or in sufficiently secure employment where a lender would advance £xx,000 by way of funds to buy their home.

For many, this problem led to falsification of income documents and to NINJA (no income, no job or assets) mortgage applications - and we can all see where that's led.

"The underlying message really, is that, if the government(s) had built more social housing with the money from rents and selling off properties in the eighties, then there would be much less of an issue and no need to force people out of there homes with only 4 weeks notice."

It would be a great idea if rents were actually paid by individuals but in a large number of cases its the benefits that pays the rent so its out of one pocket into another.

With these 2 men if they had looked into things they would have realised the rental agreement was in their mothers name and known long before she passed away what would happen. 4 weeks granted isn't long but its not a hidden secret this happens with a house with a rental agreement in someone else's name. Similar situations have happened hundreds if not thousands of times before. The truth of the matter is a lack of foresight by the brothers.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I've just read all the way through - phew!

As was said a lot of posts ago... that particular council probably has no option but to the follow through on the rules exactly. If it is a borough with a long waiting list, there are many, particularly in London, then they open the floodgates. Can you imagine they take the 'compassionate' _iew with these men but then don't with others who then happen to have a protected characteristic?

I haven't found the full story but given their ages I am sure someone is trying to find some available sheltered accommodation for them. It's easier to find a space in sheltered than the general stock.

On the original question, I don't think tenancies should just succeed. The housing stock was blocked for years by tenancies being 'inherited' and then under-occupied. When I worked in social housing many expected that as a right.

However, I also don't approve of the proposals that single people under 35 should only be entitled to a room rate.

As to the comment about married people should have two bed properties as they may not sleep together I only have Really, when a living room is considered a luxury by many families and single people are really only entitled to a bedroom/bedsit these days until over 35?

"I've just read all the way through - phew!

As was said a lot of posts ago... that particular council probably has no option but to the follow through on the rules exactly. If it is a borough with a long waiting list, there are many, particularly in London, then they open the floodgates. Can you imagine they take the 'compassionate' _iew with these men but then don't with others who then happen to have a protected characteristic?

I haven't found the full story but given their ages I am sure someone is trying to find some available sheltered accommodation for them. It's easier to find a space in sheltered than the general stock.

On the original question, I don't think tenancies should just succeed. The housing stock was blocked for years by tenancies being 'inherited' and then under-occupied. When I worked in social housing many expected that as a right.

However, I also don't approve of the proposals that single people under 35 should only be entitled to a room rate.

As to the comment about married people should have two bed properties as they may not sleep together I only have Really, when a living room is considered a luxury by many families and single people are really only entitled to a bedroom/bedsit these days until over 35?"

If you read my comment above, we have been compassionate where a succession had already taken place and allowed someone to stay in the property rather than evict them. I have yet to come across anyone that behaved like it was their right and some don't know that they are allowed to as a man did when his father died and didn't tell anyone for weeks.

On the other hand, we have someone who is moving out of a mortgage rescue property, one of their children rang us and hurled abuse down the phone at us because they have to move out

As to finding sheltered accommodation, that is not that easy as often death is the only reason that a property becomes empty. Also they are one bedroom flats, so which one gets it

"The underlying message really, is that, if the government(s) had built more social housing with the money from rents and selling off properties in the eighties, then there would be much less of an issue and no need to force people out of there homes with only 4 weeks notice.

It would be a great idea if rents were actually paid by individuals but in a large number of cases its the benefits that pays the rent so its out of one pocket into another.

With these 2 men if they had looked into things they would have realised the rental agreement was in their mothers name and known long before she passed away what would happen. 4 weeks granted isn't long but its not a hidden secret this happens with a house with a rental agreement in someone else's name. Similar situations have happened hundreds if not thousands of times before. The truth of the matter is a lack of foresight by the brothers."

No but we as a landlord would tell them that they can succeed, if it hasn't previously succeeded providing they can prove that they have lived there for more than 12 months and write in within 4 weeks

No one has a right to anything they don't own

"Its a sad tail but there are many families living in bedsits with kids desperate for a house. Sadly you can't keep everyone happy all of the time. "

they shouldnt of had them in the first place then should they.

maybe they should have them adopted by someone who can afford to keep them.

just an idea.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"Its a sad tail but there are many families living in bedsits with kids desperate for a house. Sadly you can't keep everyone happy all of the time.

just an idea. "

Wow! Really? You don't think that's a tad extreme?

People shouldn't assume anything. My ex husband has moved into his mum's one bed flat to be get carer.

He's fighting to add his name to her tennancy agreement but Southwark council are fighting it.

"Its a sad tail but there are many families living in bedsits with kids desperate for a house. Sadly you can't keep everyone happy all of the time.

just an idea.

Wow! Really? You don't think that's a tad extreme?

People shouldn't assume anything. My ex husband has moved into his mum's one bed flat to be get carer.

He's fighting to add his name to her tennancy agreement but Southwark council are fighting it. "

Don't feed the troll x

The rules for under 18's & Renting accommodation (as it was discussed above)

If you're under 18, the law says you aren't allowed to hold a tenancy. However, there are ways that a landlord can work around this. For example, a landlord could grant a tenancy that will be held on trust for you by a third party such as an adult relative or social worker, until you turn 18, or a joint tenancy if a joint tenant is aged 18 or over.

As an alternative, you could sign an agreement with a landlord for a licence, which is different from a tenancy. Holding a licence means that you have the landlord's personal permission, rather than a legal right, to stay in the accommodation. You could then be granted a tenancy when you turn 18.

Landlords, including housing associations and local authority housing departments, may require a guarantor before giving a licence to someone under 18. If you move into local authority accommodation after leaving a children’s home, the social services department will often be the guarantor.

If you move into rented accommodation, you may want to claim Housing Benefit. Although there is no age restriction on claiming Housing Benefit, the amount you can get if you are under 35 and have no children is usually restricted.

In the case of the Op I think it is right and also agree with Wishy, at the age they are, I assume both were working at some stage throughout their life, and therefore imo could have exercised the right to buy the house from the council if they wanted to stay in that house indefinitely.

Also they should have considered having their names added to the tenancy agreement.

No one whether it morally correct or not, has any entitlement to stay in a house they do not own, this also applies to people who have mortgages, if they fall into arrears or no longer can afford the repayments, legally it is not their house, legally they only own what equity is in their house.

[Removed by poster at 05/11/12 10:47:21]

Oh, so someone who has an opinion you dont agree with is a troll.

"Oh, so someone who has an opinion you dont agree with is a troll.

"

I wasn't sure who was supposed to be the troll lol

Same shit different day, people moaning about what they haven't got and why they should have things handed on a plate to them. Life's hard so suck it up or shut the fuck up

4 weeks isn't long but its easily possible to find a new place in that time scale. It might not be a first choice but you can take a 6 months lease while looking for something better.

"Same shit different day, people moaning about what they haven't got and why they should have things handed on a plate to them. Life's hard so suck it up or shut the fuck up"

says it all really.