FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Live Music Let Downs

Live Music Let Downs

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ittle_brat_evie!! OP   Woman  over a year ago

evesham

ok so we have had lots of 'who is your favourite live act threads' but who has disappointed you the most?

was it such a let down that you went off them completely or did you just stick to the recorded stuff?

For me it was the Red Hot Chilli Peppers.....Pants, no interaction with the crowd, just moved from song to song...they might as well have been in a rehearsal studio

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Motorhead annoyed me when I saw them last at the Demonfort Hall. They started out great, but got so stupidly loud towards the end it became painful.

By *ackandkateCouple  over a year ago

Truro

UB40 and Dexy's Midnight Runners were both huge disappointments

Snow Patrol almost put me to sleep.

happy mondays

By *xpresMan  over a year ago

Elland

Bon jovi are shite saw them @ milton keyens bowl... boring

Then the sneeky fuckers convinced they had changed so saw them @ the last ever gig @ old wemeley.... snooooorrreee zzzzzzzzzzzz

Alkaline Trio without a doubt, and Offspring. If you ask anyone to name the 5 songs Offspring are most famous for, they only played 2 or 3 of them when they headlined Download. Very disappointing considering it wasn't just diehard fans who maybe wouldn't mind

By *upitersmileCouple  over a year ago

Manchester

"Bon jovi are shite saw them @ milton keyens bowl... boring

Then the sneeky fuckers convinced they had changed so saw them @ the last ever gig @ old wemeley.... snooooorrreee zzzzzzzzzzzz"

I saw him a few years back too and wasn't impressed either

Stereophonics at Earl's Court tho it was more about the barn of a venue

Steps. . . . . .

I know I know, but they were a gift

By *nnie2009Couple  over a year ago

Blackpool

never a crap gig but been to see a famous comedian last yr in wolves and was shite

Madonna. Complete rip-off and totally not worth it.

She lost a fan that day. I haven't bought one of her CDs since and never will again.

I dont think ive ever been to see a band where their act has put me off them but

a few years ago i went to see a band called DOWN now for all of you who have no idea of who they are the singer used to be in a band called pantera, still none the wiser i know lol anyway when i went to see DOWN their support act was a live recording of a pantera gig playing on a big screen at the back of the stage

i just thought that was a bit naff

Snow Patrol at Bellahouston park.... due on at 9... last train at 11.30... they came on a 10.45... £90 each total waste of money... i think they would be better in a small venue.

Also Oasis at Murryfield.. couldnt even hear them ... but did enjoy the fighting on the pitch as we watched .... oh and the throwing of piss in pint glasses

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I know who Pantera are

Meatloaf did a set at Monsters of Rock, Donington (pre Download days), Les Dawson could have hit more right notes than he did

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"oh and the throwing of piss in pint glasses "

So exactly how far can you chuck a pint'o'piss

Not mine but average of 20 yards ... with a good throwing arm lol

Was disgusting though... who does that shit???

By *acreadCouple  over a year ago

central scotland

Shit gig was Hawkwind in Glasgow Apollo

Bt also saw Bowie, Trex, Led Zeppelin, Lou Reed, B Ferry and a whole lot more.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Not mine but average of 20 yards ... with a good throwing arm lol

Was disgusting though... who does that shit???"

Pissheads

Who pisses in a plastic cup and throws it over people? feck i would kill the bloke ... scum... btw robbie williams at knebworth was amazing lol

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Led Zeppelin, Queen & Deep Purple are 3 brill headliners I have witnessed at Knebworth.

The beer they sold was pretty piss poor though

Knebworth had it sussed tho, token rather than cash and change.. so easy ...

I also know who Pantera are and even bought the original Buff soundtrack for "Light Comes Out Of Black" by Rob Halford and Pantera because I couldn't find it elsewhere.

Went to see 'Sisters of Mercy' a few years ago, it was shite. It was so quiet we could hear peoples conversations going on around us, my Ex had a go at the guys at the mixing-desk and they said Eldritch was so crap if they made the music any louder you wouldn't hear his voice at all... dunno how true that was but the gig was shit anyway and we left early.

Biggest disappointment however was going to see Bauhaus, their first gig in the UK for years and wanker Pete Murphy took a hissy fit and sang the whole thing hidden behind a massive speaker because 'one' person had thrown an empty can onto the stage and it 'almost' hit him What a pathetic Tosser

The Ramones @ The Longest Day gig, Milton Keynes, some bands just ride on hype i think.

I got dragged along to a Corrs gig many yrs ago.....wasnt the most pleasant if evenings to say the least

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"ok so we have had lots of 'who is your favourite live act threads' but who has disappointed you the most?

was it such a let down that you went off them completely or did you just stick to the recorded stuff?

For me it was the Red Hot Chilli Peppers.....Pants, no interaction with the crowd, just moved from song to song...they might as well have been in a rehearsal studio "

Isley Brothers. Spent a fortune to see them at the Albert Hall. Had to endure 90 minutes of mediocre warm up acts.

When they finally appeared they were on stage the grand total of 45 minutes, rushing through a medley of their songs.

It was dire and I felt robbed!

By *eryBigGirlWoman  over a year ago

East Yorkshire

Nikki Minaj last week was without doubt the worst gig ever!! Came on nearly 2 hours late, can't sing and kept disappearing to get changed leaving a cd playing!!! Dire!!

Best ever was Gaga!!!

"Stereophonics at Earl's Court tho it was more about the barn of a venue"

There were the first gig I went to at Brixton academy thought they were pants live... Better recorded though.

OP is right, the chillis were terrible when I watched them.

Also despite being a massive fan, Morrissey can be very hit and miss live and the last time was garbage!

Worst was Reverend and the Makers. Shoddy performance. Best was Coldplay back in June. Absolutely incredible.

[Removed by poster at 03/11/12 09:17:54]

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

Frankie goes to Hollywood Liverpool royal court thetec "homecoming" gig at the hight of there fame absolute shite clearly mining no rapport with the fans . Also Alison moyet manchesters appollo 2 hrs late did three songs then left .

I'm with the poster, The Red Hot Chilli Peppers have been awful the few times I have seen them at festivals.

I never thought the Stone Roses were good live, I saw them in a small club just before they made it big and then at Spike Island both times they were dreadful.

Nirvana in Rome in 94 Kurt was off it on smack and the whole thing plodded. I saw them a couple of times at Reading an they were amazing this was dire

It's funny this thread should come up just now. My better half was in Manchester this week to see the Civil Wars and was very disappointed. Although technically very proficient she said they lacked stage presence and personality. I forget who the support were but she said they were far superior, really got the crowd going.

Lana Del Rey can be very hit or brilliant, think she suffers from nerves bad, shame.

"Motorhead annoyed me when I saw them last at the Demonfort Hall. They started out great, but got so stupidly loud towards the end it became painful."
agree totally couldn't hear prperly for about three days after. Also Maddonna she was rubbish loads of people walking out before the end of the concert including us!!!

By *aris23Woman  over a year ago

France

Meatloaf - live gigs in the parks a few years ago now. Eagerly anticipated and sadly disappointed. He'd just lost it...out of tune, didn't sing chunks of the songs cos he was out of breath. We didn't wait for the end and left happily to avoid the traffic. Only listen to his CD's now

"Who pisses in a plastic cup and throws it over people? feck i would kill the bloke ... scum... btw "

I work for a security company and work at gigs and festival, i love see the reactions of new colleagues they just been hit by a bottle of piss not beer lol

Best live act I've seen was Primal Scream at the Guernsey Festival last year :D

Worst live act I've seen Chipmunk at the Guernsey Festival - hosts had to announce to the 5000+ strong crowd 10 minutes before he was due on-stage that "he decided he couldn't be bothered to play" How rude is that?!

By *lasgowguy64Man  over a year ago

Hamilton

Worst was the Damned at Barrowlands, only gig I've walked out of in 34 years of attending concerts... Close second was Groundhogs at the Ferry 3 to 4 years ago. Sound was abysmal despite support band being sounding phenomenal...

"

Nirvana in Rome in 94 Kurt was off it on smack and the whole thing plodded. I saw them a couple of times at Reading an they were amazing this was dire"

I saw Nirvana twice including the time the headlined Reading and thought them to be at best mediocre.

I've seen 100's of bands and excluding unknown local bands and support acts I've not seen that many bad ones. The worst was probably Oasis the last time they headlined Glastonbury, I'm no fan, but there was no one else I really fancied seeing so went out of morbid curiousity - lasted about 15 minutes, truly dire.

By *ust_for_laughsCouple  over a year ago

Hinckley

Queen at Wembley in 1986, brilliant at the beginning, then the crap 50's cover versions started, so we went home.

Bon Jovi at Donington in 1987, been on tour for too long, tired and jaded !

Rolling Stone at Ashton Gate in 1980(81 ?), played most of the songs badly at about twice the recorded speed. Hope they do Glastonbury this year though as they sounded great at the 'secret' gig they did in Paris a couple of weeks ago.

Manic Street Preachers at V in 1999...just shit, gave up after 20 mins and went to watch James Brown instead

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

Liza Minnelli

By *ENDAROOSCouple  over a year ago

South West London / Surrey

Paul Weller...ended up going and sitting the bar as found him so boring to watch.

Meat Loaf Glasgow SECC.....utter crap

Madonna wembley....sounded like a strangled cat.

By *nJ_NW_cplCouple  over a year ago

wirral

"Bon jovi are shite saw them @ milton keyens bowl... boring

Then the sneeky fuckers convinced they had changed so saw them @ the last ever gig @ old wemeley.... snooooorrreee zzzzzzzzzzzz

I saw him a few years back too and wasn't impressed either "

Strange how people see thing so differently as we saw both the gig at Wembley and the one at Manchester and think they were two of the best gigs we have ever seen, and yes we have seen lots. As for being let down, Bowie spent the first half of his set singing from his upcoming album and no-one had heard them, ended with his big hits so it wasn’t all bad.

By *wanzMan  over a year ago

Swansea

Whitesnake in Cardiff about 4 years ago ...

Im 40 and I feel bad about being 10/15 years older than the guitarist playing classics from the 70s and 80s ...

Bloody whippersnapper wasnt even born then ! lol

Anastasia a few yrs back at the SECC, really dissapointed in her voice wasn't as powerful as i though!

I'm sorry to say it but it was Paul Simon at Glastonbury the last 2011. I was looking forward to him all day he hardly played any of his hits just all this Cajun type of stuff he does. It wasn't a crowd pleaser I can tell you lol

"UB40 and Dexy's Midnight Runners were both huge disappointments "
Ditto UB40 - went all the way up to the NEC to see them in the 80's. Total waste of money. 'Over-produced in the studio' does not translate to 'sounds great live'.....

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

So many it's hard to know where to start...

1995 Wembley Stones Voodoo Lounge tour was about the worse letdown

Hinckley

"Whitesnake in Cardiff about 4 years ago ...

Im 40 and I feel bad about being 10/15 years older than the guitarist playing classics from the 70s and 80s ...

Bloody whippersnapper wasnt even born then ! lol"

Doug Aldrich and Reb Beech are both considerably older than 40

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

My son was fucking shit at the recorder the other week when I went to watch him at school.

Triangles weren't much better.

By *damandeve4funCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Went to see 'Sisters of Mercy' a few years ago, it was shite. It was so quiet we could hear peoples conversations going on around us, my Ex had a go at the guys at the mixing-desk and they said Eldritch was so crap if they made the music any louder you wouldn't hear his voice at all... dunno how true that was but the gig was shit anyway and we left early.

Biggest disappointment however was going to see Bauhaus, their first gig in the UK for years and wanker Pete Murphy took a hissy fit and sang the whole thing hidden behind a massive speaker because 'one' person had thrown an empty can onto the stage and it 'almost' hit him What a pathetic Tosser

"

They were probably telling the truth about Sisters of Mercy. I saw them at Barrowland and all you could hear was the music because Eldritch was so quiet. When you could hear him, he sounded out of tune and out of his face.

As for Bauhaus, I first saw them supporting Magazine in Glasgow way back and they were excellent and Pete Murphy was excellent solo a couple of years ago. However, I know what you mean about some of the old stars who return with a chip on their shoulder or with an attitude.

My biggest disappointments recently were the The Fall in Edinburgh and Echo and the Bunnymen in Glasgow. Mark E Smith and Ian McCulloch both failed to complete the gigs because they were too pissed! The sad thing is that the bands themselves sounded great...

"Whitesnake in Cardiff about 4 years ago ...

Bloody whippersnapper wasnt even born then ! lol

Doug Aldrich and Reb Beech are both considerably older than 40"

And both have considerable talent too.

"Worst was Reverend and the Makers. Shoddy performance. Best was Coldplay back in June. Absolutely incredible."

Haha worst gig I've ever been to was Coldplay all show and no substance, where as reverend were class. Encouraging crowd participation at every turn

Hinckley

I would rather eat my own liver, accessed using a butter knife than listen to/watch Coldplay !!

Vapid (non-)rock for student bed-wetters and people that don't know any better.

Government approved rock and roll, just the way it should (never) be !!

Just my not very humble opinion, obviously !!

"I would rather eat my own liver, accessed using a butter knife than listen to/watch Coldplay !!

Just my not very humble opinion, obviously !! "

Majority of bands named on here are shit anyway so you can't be that surprised surely! I mean Snow Patrol, really?!?!

By *anSusieCouple  over a year ago

Midlothian

Slipknot @ Soni 2011....half the crowd left + went to the Jaegermeister stage to see Black Spiders,the poor security guys couldn't cope with the onslaught there LOL

Just LOVEEEEEEE festivals + Downlaod is our fav......RAMMSTEIN next year,never ever a bad show with sexy Till....mmmmm I (fem)would deffo play with him

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

Put it this way, Paul McCartney at the Jubilee and Olympics concerts this year was utter rubbish.

As heard on TV the other night, he was apparently paid £1 for his appearance at the Olympics; well, that was 50p for the notes he did sing in tune!

Heard Meatloaf on BBC Radio 2 a few years ago in a supposed "live" set. He was so off key and appallingly bad, the Beeb's switchboards were jammed with complaints! Hasbeen!!

Hinckley

"I would rather eat my own liver, accessed using a butter knife than listen to/watch Coldplay !!

Just my not very humble opinion, obviously !!

Majority of bands named on here are shit anyway so you can't be that surprised surely! I mean Snow Patrol, really?!?! "

True enough

"Slipknot @ Soni 2011....half the crowd left + went to the Jaegermeister stage to see Black Spiders,the poor security guys couldn't cope with the onslaught there LOL

Just LOVEEEEEEE festivals + Downlaod is our fav......RAMMSTEIN next year,never ever a bad show with sexy Till....mmmmm I (fem)would deffo play with him "

I can't wait so see Rammstein again, although personally, this years headliners were better than next years

Worst for me has to be Blink182.. coudnt string a note together

Best was Trivuim when supporting iron maiden in newcastle

One of my biggest surprises was Chickenfoot. A band I REALLY should like considering the members, but I couldnt stand their first record. Went to see them live though and they were incredible...

By *radleyandRavenCouple  over a year ago

Herts

Went to go and see Trivium at the Hammersmith Apollo (I think it was 2007?).

They turned up an hour and a half late, had no energy or interest in interacting with the crowd, they had a huge build-up of sirens and flashing lights for about 20mins only for them to play about 5 songs and then fuck off...

£35 per ticket and they were the headline band. People were NOT impressed.

- Amy. x

Ian Brown - isle of wight festival a few years back. Utterly garbage, showed how produced his finished work is.

By *nfieldishCouple  over a year ago

Enfield

Coldplay at crystal palace...cold and wet August night at an open air gig......and Chris Martin moaning about their problems......

They have improved since.....

but don't stand there earning fasts amount of money when I am cold and wet and expect my sympathy..

Hell hole for public transport as well....

Phew......

Sorry

» Add a new message to this topic