FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Condoms: Why are we still embarrassed about using them?

Condoms: Why are we still embarrassed about using them?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *kmale421 OP   Man  over a year ago

wirral

Tis is a news story off the BBC website, full story here via this link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20043530

Essentially, it's telling about a new Thai restaurant which is a chain in Thailand, that is now open in Bicester which hands ut condoms at the end of a meal instead of After 8 mints, and uses condoms as part of it's decor.

The article goes on to detail the British attitude to condoms, which made me think.

I have to admit to being slightly embarressed about buying condoms and definately about asking questions about them at the chemist, which is why I always buy mine over the web using a site called Britishcondoms which is full of useful information and products.

Just wondered what other peoples feelings are both to the restaurant and the general subject of buying condoms?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

we quiet happily buy condoms and lube in the supermarket while doing the weekly shop, not sure i would prefere them to an after eight mint tho, def not as tasty

tescos lol...but its hardly discreet that they are encased in a security box lol

By *atinaBabeCouple  over a year ago

casa caliente

thats why in uk ppl hv so many babies lol

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

Anything which improves availability and makes access to condoms easier is a GOOD THING.

The health board here in Glasgow has a free condom scheme. Available over the counter at most chemists it offers big name brands and there's an order card you can just hand over if even asking for condoms is embarassing.

I imagine the scheme operaates elsewhere.

By *histler21Man  over a year ago

Ipswich

I'm not embarrassed about buying or using them.

I'm only embarrassed when the expiry date runs out...

By *histler21Man  over a year ago

Ipswich

"tescos lol...but its hardly discreet that they are encased in a security box lol"

...got to be safe, you know!

Just read the article and the whole problem was summed up in one sentence:- ""A large part of the business is niche condoms," he says. "We sell a lot of small-sized condoms and it's obvious why someone might not want to buy them in a shop."

You could just feel the snigger from the spokesperson AND the reporter.

Until we get away from the ridiculous 'naughty British seaside postcard' attitude to sex that we have in this Country, nothing will change. Parents are in constant denial about their children's emerging sexuality as they grow into their teens and can't (not won't) bring themselves to talk to them about it, the media go in for titilation and 'Carry On' humour all the time, and anyone who has anything approaching a 'liberal' attitude to sex is considered a slag - male or female!

As for the guy in that piece who said that self-service check outs 'take some of the stress away' - jeeez mate! Go and grow a pair FFS!

I used to get embarrassed buying condoms in my teens and 20's, but certainly not now. I even have a chat with the checkout ladies in my local ASDA about them sometimes - and the MOST interested and knowledgible on them is .... a Muslim lady in Hijab!!!! All the 'British' check out ops get all embarrassed or pass 'looks' between them.

So proud to be British sometimes... not

Pork

I buy them with no problems. Its a shame a lot of blokes are reluctant to use condoms though.

Buying them is not an issue for me, I would never rely on a guy bringing them, I'd rather be responsible for my own health, than rely on someone else, for me, No condom = No entry....end of

By *ngelbiTVTV/TS  over a year ago

Dyserth, North Wales

Not embarrassed at all.

In my opinion, if you're not man enough to buy em, you're not man enough fullstop lol

Angel

" "We sell a lot of small-sized condoms and it's obvious why someone might not want to buy them in a shop."

"

Perhaps they should adjust the size names, small becomes regular, regular becomes large and so on.... It would be a great white lie that I don't think many men would complain about!

I'm not embArassed about buying them... Would rather know I'm safe than not even fits a social who knows what will happen

I like buying them. If I'm replacing my stock it means I'm getting laid. Winner winner chicken dinner!

" "We sell a lot of small-sized condoms and it's obvious why someone might not want to buy them in a shop."

Perhaps they should adjust the size names, small becomes regular, regular becomes large and so on.... It would be a great white lie that I don't think many men would complain about! "

I get mine in a Happy Medium

Frankly they are ugly, awful tasting regardless of flavouring, and quite ridiculous when used

But I want to, and do, play safe so I gladly suffer them

We have never been embarrassed or really found many who we are. Maybe we have a different attitude in the north west.

By *uck_us_hardCouple  over a year ago

N.E Lincolnshire

"tescos lol...but its hardly discreet that they are encased in a security box lol"

Lol you do discreet paddy!?

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Nope. They go thru the checkout with the beer and pizza quite happily.

I'd be more embarrassed about getting the clap!

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

I buy them by the gross.

I work in Ireland a few times a year and if I take the car I also take loads over for my Irish friends. They're far more expensive over there and you can't get free ones easily.

Guess that makes me a dealer

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

Oh, and I buy them from a local shop. The staff there are used to me so don't blink when I'm buying 20 packets.

Though the others in the queue do...

Never had a problem buying them, if people are embarrased though the family planning clinic gives them away for free!

Never have a problem with buying condoms in supermarket or petrol station but going in to tesco late at night and having to use self scanning then need the assistant to take them out of plastic box pisses me off!!

By *imply_SensualMan  over a year ago

warrington

I never have a problem buying them, depending on my mood I might even say something witty to the shop assistant to ease the transaction.

I did get asked once whether I would like a bag - I said no thanks, she's not that ugly!

i dont normaly get embarased only once when me and my hubby had to use them ages ago i went into our local chemist and there was this snooty young girl who served me and i was buying condoms and i looked at her and got a fit of the giggles.

By *he Original TTMan  over a year ago

Brackley, Northants

I haven't go a problem with buying them - I usually get them from Tesco or Asda, and the sometimes they have special offers on, so I stock up! Lol!

Did get a rather nice smile from the girl on the checkout last time I did that....

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

wonder who they interviewed though to get this data .. was it the 'we have sex at 9pm the first tuesday of every month brigadge' ???

just a thought !

"I buy them by the gross.

I work in Ireland a few times a year and if I take the car I also take loads over for my Irish friends. They're far more expensive over there and you can't get free ones easily.

Guess that makes me a dealer "

ahhhh call the cops.

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

"

ahhhh call the cops. "

were waiting for u on the border pet !! .. busted !!

we can however be bribed !!

start talking big boy !!

By *aris23Woman  over a year ago

France

"I never have a problem buying them, depending on my mood I might even say something witty to the shop assistant to ease the transaction.

I did get asked once whether I would like a bag - I said no thanks, she's not that ugly!"

LOL...thank you for making me smile at the end of a crap day

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

Never been embarrassed to buy condoms, whenever I'm in Home Bargains I always buy a box or three as they're usually on offer (£1.49 for a dozen Mates if I remember right), practically every drawer in my house has at least one box in it! Also get the freebies from the clap clinic and if I have to see the nurse I usually ask for some (though they can be a bit stingy with them)...Gave my nephew a couple of boxes for his birthday in the hope that the next girl he shags doesn't get up the duff as he's making me a great aunt in a coupla months

I buy in supermarket but I must admit I prefer going through self scans instead of having someone scan them through for me. Don't even know why. lol

» Add a new message to this topic