FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > textspeak

textspeak

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I hate text speak! Call me lazy or ignorant but I cannot read something that does not contain vowels or punctuation marks.

Please, please, please let's put a stop to this. Text speak IS lazy and downright ignorant.

There are people on this site who have English as a second langauge and they have the grace and intelligence to try and write it to the best of their abilities. Why can't we give them and each other the common courtesy of returning the favour?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

2 rite m8

[Removed by poster at 01/11/12 07:28:28]

"I hate text speak! Call me lazy or ignorant but I cannot read something that does not contain vowels or punctuation marks.

Please, please, please let's put a stop to this. Text speak IS lazy and downright ignorant.

There are people on this site who have English as a second langauge and they have the grace and intelligence to try and write it to the best of their abilities. Why can't we give them and each other the common courtesy of returning the favour?"

Well said, I can't stand it either.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"2 rite m8 "

LOL.

Should have expected that.

I h8 ppl oo tlk lik dis !!

"2 rite m8

LOL.

Should have expected that. "

Yes lol and I do actually hate text talk so other than what I put I don't know anymore, thank god

"I hate text speak! Call me lazy or ignorant but I cannot read something that does not contain vowels or punctuation marks.

There are people on this site who have English as a second langauge and they have the grace and intelligence to try and write it to the best of their abilities. Why can't we give them and each other the common courtesy of returning the favour?"

I hate it too, probably because I'm old and can't get my head round it haha

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

Where did you want to ban it from?

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

Fully in support too!

The problem is "text speak" is now part of our culture as people get used to it on Mobiles etc and it will be so difficult to eradicate.

Invariably, when I text someone, I use full words, so I don't text that often! But the recipients do appreciate an understood message, instead of thinking "what's all this gobbleygook" meaning?

But so long as people use Text Speak and that other dreadful option, the Spell Checker, as a trained Proofreader it keeps me working!

Last time i commented on 'text speak' thread i got slated for being behind with the times..hate it and it should be made illegal..apart from the fact its lazy. lol

By *eeriseWoman  over a year ago

Manchester and that's all you need to know

I don't like but what can I do besides delete and move on.

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

I use a little text speak only when I text. That is the only time it is appropriate. Elsewhere is ludicrous, in my opinion. I understand people occassionally lapsing if they are accessing the site via mobile but to constantly use it is irritating in the extreme.

It is claimed that 'text speak' is actually evolution of our language. That said, I detest it too. I now even receive text speak emails at work, instant delete. I have even had C.V's for jobs full of the stuff too!

I have been working on the idea of an app which can be installed to mobile phones by parents (and locked) it then will not allow their kids to use text speak, or will automatically convert into English.

Would any parents go for this if it became available?

Donc, je ne comprends pas l'anglais textspeak. Sil vous plait correctement remercier route le monde...

Can you imagine someone replying to you like that??? That is how text speak must be for quite a few people...

Native French speakers, my French is a little rusty plus I'm a native Scouser! Ebony.

The strange thing is, is that some of the people using txt type writing actually talk that way

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

"The strange thing is, is that some of the people using txt type writing actually talk that way "

I love those Armstrong and Miller RAF sketches which poke fun at such language. Have a look on YouTube if you've never seen them.

Thought it was just me getting old , I have two kids trying to read their messages is a nightmare !

If we get messages with even one tiny bit of text speak, it is immediately deleted. I can just imagine it is a thick chav contacting us

The English language is a beautiful thing, so why ruin it with abbreviations and silly acronyms.

I will admit to using 'lol' though.

Abbreviations and changes to the way we talk and type/spell have changed over time as different forms of communication have developed. Annoying as it is its just progression.

By *xpresMan  over a year ago

Elland

Im no fan of it but i am guilty of it from time to time

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

It's ridiculous laugh out loud, laugh out loud, laugh out loud

here here!!! Hate it with a passion, even on text messages!

I detest it too, if I get a text off the kids in text speak I just send it them back with in English please underneath, I understand it has developed to save time trying and on messages what I Don't understand are the ones that are longer or the same length, why change ok to okay? And why change of to ov? It takes more time to add the word,

"I h8 ppl oo tlk lik dis !! "

Is that welsh ?

ur ignorant if u cant read it

"I h8 ppl oo tlk lik dis !!

Is that welsh ? "

No, translation: I hate people who talk like this !!

"It is claimed that 'text speak' is actually evolution of our language. That said, I detest it too. I now even receive text speak emails at work, instant delete. I have even had C.V's for jobs full of the stuff too!

I have been working on the idea of an app which can be installed to mobile phones by parents (and locked) it then will not allow their kids to use text speak, or will automatically convert into English.

Would any parents go for this if it became available?"

I would hardly call it evolution, devolution possibly.

By *wanzMan  over a year ago

Swansea

Does 'lol' count as text speak ?

I use 'LOL' when appropriate - but I can't abide text speak - (I'm a secret grammer nazi also)

Spelling mistakes are forgivable, but failure to use vowels just irks me !

End of Rant

» Add a new message to this topic