FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Advise needed!

Advise needed!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Right,

I have been doing loads of research online about this,

I wanna travel the world, But i am skint, I know loads of ways to make money while i'm travelling, but i was wondering if you had any thoughts about doing it.

I will have no money, No food and no where to stay bare in mind haha!

All i will have is my passport, cloths and a phone.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

When i was younger lots of my friends travelled with no/very little money. They went mostly too india thouhg.

I worked with a guy who was travelling the world, he had gone to some very remote villages in the outbacks. He was starting one way and going back the other. He stayed here to make some money for his next leg. Not sure if starting of with no money at all is a good idea. What would happen if one of your back up plans failed.

If i was younger my heart would say go for it, my old wise head says get a little money behiind you first.

Have you thought about being sponsered, people get sponsered to do things like go to india and help in the villages or a trek in peru

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

Try the Global Volunteer Netweork

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Do you want to do it as one trip or as a variety of smaller trips ?

When you say travel, do you mean to live amongst local communities in deprived areas or remote areas or do you mean bright lights, big cities ?

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Get hold of a copy of the magazine called "wanderlust" it was started by a guy who did exactly what you are thinking about, may give you some pointers and helpful agencies you can contact.

I met a man in France who was walking to Mexico to see his sister. He had started out from the UK and had reached the south of France in a month. He had no money or transport, but he thumbed lifts and offered gardening work in return for a meal, shower and bed for the night. He told me he had met many kind people along the way and stories about him had reached a newspaper that had started to track his process.

Id say that we only have one life and you should have your adventures when your young and free....go for it.

Thanks everyone,

I never thought about getting sponserd, But who could i get to sponsor me and how would i would i get them too?

Good idea on taking a bit of cash, i'll probs only have about £90 ha!

I will be going rather in January or March, next year.. Don't wanna leave in the winter. to cold haha!

"I met a man in France who was walking to Mexico to see his sister. He had started out from the UK and had reached the south of France in a month. He had no money or transport, but he thumbed lifts and offered gardening work in return for a meal, shower and bed for the night. He told me he had met many kind people along the way and stories about him had reached a newspaper that had started to track his process.

Id say that we only have one life and you should have your adventures when your young and free....go for it."

Did you tell him that of he had set off from the UK and was in France he should have gone the other way ?

Or that at some point he would have to trade his shoes for arm bands and a snorkel ?

im sure there is a book you can buy called - work your way around the world - or something like that..

"im sure there is a book you can buy called - work your way around the world - or something like that.. "

Ha! I'm googleing everything, just trying to find out how to get a sponsor.

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman  over a year ago

Deviant City

"im sure there is a book you can buy called - work your way around the world - or something like that..

Ha! I'm googleing everything, just trying to find out how to get a sponsor. "

if you go for it, good luck to you xx

"im sure there is a book you can buy called - work your way around the world - or something like that..

Ha! I'm googleing everything, just trying to find out how to get a sponsor.

if you go for it, good luck to you xx"

Thank you ! I'm going the Peterborough Newspaper tomorrow and see if they can help getting a sponsor.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

I can understand fully someone wanting to help people in places like India and Africa on a Christian Aid type trip...is this what the Op had in mind?

By *lasgowguy64Man  over a year ago

Hamilton

"Thanks everyone,

I never thought about getting sponserd, But who could i get to sponsor me and how would i would i get them too?

I will be going rather in January or March, next year.. Don't wanna leave in the winter. to cold haha! "

my mate set off with a rucksack & £56 and managed 9 years travelling....and some of the stories.....

"Thanks everyone,

I will be going rather in January or March, next year.. Don't wanna leave in the winter. to cold haha! my mate set off with a rucksack & £56 and managed 9 years travelling....and some of the stories....."

that's what my plan to do is.. but while i'm doing it i might as well get sponsored and raise some money for charity lol!

I started my blog guys and gals! Finerly planning this trip around the world!! ! check it out!!

www.fromenglandandbeyond.blogspot.co.uk

good luck and have fun, i have done this when younger, the only thing i would say is get medical insurance, people always think it wont happen to them but it does, i recently needed it in the usa and thank god i was covered, and have a credit card for emergancies

there is this film craigslistjoe he went 31 days and all he did was use craigslist

Armed with only a laptop, cell phone, toothbrush, and the clothes on his back,

worth a watching .wish i could do one would go in a heartbeat enjoy

Get some cash in hand work, take a bit of money with you incase of emergency.

On another note though how did the date go, meal by tree, playing guitar music to a girl you were trying to woo

"Thanks everyone,

I will be going rather in January or March, next year.. Don't wanna leave in the winter. to cold haha! "

If you're worried about being cold I'd suggest you don't go as you'll probably have to sleep rough on many occasions.

Personally, I couldn't do what you're planning as I need my creature comforts on a daily basis. I'd travel the world but it'd have to be booked in advance and in the best hotels.

"Get some cash in hand work, take a bit of money with you incase of emergency.

On another note though how did the date go, meal by tree, playing guitar music to a girl you were trying to woo"

Thats happening on the 12th this month ! Gotta backpack to Devon!! Stupid bills have come out so no train for me!! not to bothere about it tho. i always do a lot of walking!

I will let everyone know how it all goes! ! we are getting really close!

"Thanks everyone,

I will be going rather in January or March, next year.. Don't wanna leave in the winter. to cold haha!

If you're worried about being cold I'd suggest you don't go as you'll probably have to sleep rough on many occasions.

Personally, I couldn't do what you're planning as I need my creature comforts on a daily basis. I'd travel the world but it'd have to be booked in advance and in the best hotels. "

I'm homeless as it is anyways! lost my house about 2 weeks ago.. been on and off the streets since.. stupid council won't help me! they said i haven't lived in Peterborough for 6 months! when my bank statement clearly states i have! I think they don't like being proven wrong haha!

I'm going in the Summer so it will be ok, plus its always easy to make a make shift shelter in the woods.. !

Scouts honour! haha!!

(Thanks got i remmeber all my scouting activities!) lol!

"there is this film craigslistjoe he went 31 days and all he did was use craigslist

Armed with only a laptop, cell phone, toothbrush, and the clothes on his back,

worth a watching .wish i could do one would go in a heartbeat enjoy"

I'll look that one up! cheers mate ! I been reading loads of articals on www.runawayguide.com there some really good stuff on there. it tells you how to travel the world without and money and how to survive! !

"good luck and have fun, i have done this when younger, the only thing i would say is get medical insurance, people always think it wont happen to them but it does, i recently needed it in the usa and thank god i was covered, and have a credit card for emergancies"

I was thinking that myself.. been looking into it to see how much it will cost.. Plus i always get my credit card! have always had £30 saved all the time. only for emergencies tho.

I did this a few years ago although I can imagine it will be a little more difficult with the recession.

Winter:

Keycamp/ various ski resorts

Pay: £80-£120 pw (free accom sometimes food)

Spring:

Eurocamp/haven holidays

Montage work (building campsites

Pay: £ow ow (food and shelter inc.)

Countries: all of Europe. I did Croatia.

Summer:

World is truly your oyster here, I did camp America Russia. Yep exactly how it sounds

Pay: better than average but still shit roughly £140 pw

autum:

I had the chance to go back to Europe or chance myself further afield I learnt some very broken Russian and decided to hitch hike from city to city through to kazakstan were unfortunately oppertunites started to dry up.

I did most of this via the internet and a lot of companies were prepared to fund my journeys to them or at least contribute. In the mean time if your struggling for a roof try your local salvation army, even if they can't put you up they will let you use them as a correspondence address. Good luck with all this mate and any advice feel free to pm me

Stu

"I did this a few years ago although I can imagine it will be a little more difficult with the recession.

Winter:

Keycamp/ various ski resorts

Pay: £80-£120 pw (free accom sometimes food)

Spring:

Eurocamp/haven holidays

Montage work (building campsites

Pay: £ow ow (food and shelter inc.)

Countries: all of Europe. I did Croatia.

Summer:

World is truly your oyster here, I did camp America Russia. Yep exactly how it sounds

Pay: better than average but still shit roughly £140 pw

autum:

I had the chance to go back to Europe or chance myself further afield I learnt some very broken Russian and decided to hitch hike from city to city through to kazakstan were unfortunately oppertunites started to dry up.

I did most of this via the internet and a lot of companies were prepared to fund my journeys to them or at least contribute. In the mean time if your struggling for a roof try your local salvation army, even if they can't put you up they will let you use them as a correspondence address. Good luck with all this mate and any advice feel free to pm me

Stu

"

Thank you... Good advise!! I will look into this ..

[Removed by poster at 14/11/12 06:29:28]

have sex with taxi drivers.

you may not like it but it will get you around for free

» Add a new message to this topic