FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Vampire Devices

Vampire Devices

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ssex_tom OP   Man  over a year ago

Chelmsford

Reports that Vampire devices such as microwaves and tvs are draining your power when they are left switched on..

Are Vampires sucking your Power? It's all over the news this one

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Vampire drain is the electricity lost not so much through devices on Standby, like a TV where there is an expectation of continued electric power use to a lower degree, but through things that are doing nothing useful while they are "off" but still plugged in. Phone/Laptop chargers are a classic example, they just sit there getting vaguely warm but doing nothing most of the time. Things like toasters and kettles should be always off, but microwaves usually have a clock, and so they usually have the entire logic board powered up (which will have microchips and all sorts these days) just because it's cheaper to manufacture things this way than let the clock run on a battery, or a secondary feel of the electrical input.

Personally, my house is stuffed full of smart devices, so my lights are all on even when they are off, because they remain connected to the power in order to be able to listen for the command to turn on. Smart plugs achieve the same aim, and thus are consuming power all the time, although you would hope that this is pretty minimal.

It's well worth thinking about this, as some houses will have a LOT of devices that sit their quietly munching on £s without doing any useful work.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Do you mean that by leaving your devices on stand by they're using electricity thereby bumping your bill up?

Is that really news Tom or common sense?

Is there anything you see which isn't all over the news OP?

They ain’t sucking any of my electrickety. The only thing I have left switched on, is my fridge. Everything else is turned on, on demand. I press a switch. Non of this ‘smart’ nonsense.

By *uckyNineMan  over a year ago

prescot

[Removed by poster at 27/04/22 10:05:00]

By *uckyNineMan  over a year ago

prescot

I was fully expecting a vampire device to be a new sex toy I hadn’t heard of!!

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"As you know, the concept of the suction pump is centuries old. Really that's all this is except that instead of sucking water, I'm sucking life. I've just sucked one year of your life away. I might one day go as high as five, but I really don't know what that would do to you. So, let's just start with what we have. What did this do to you? Tell me. And remember, this is for posterity so be honest. How do you feel?"

... Your phone charger, probably

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

"They ain’t sucking any of my electrickety. The only thing I have left switched on, is my fridge. Everything else is turned on, on demand. I press a switch. Non of this ‘smart’ nonsense. "

This. I work in tech but don't some of it just to be 'cool'.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man  over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Do you mean that by leaving your devices on stand by they're using electricity thereby bumping your bill up?

Is that really news Tom or common sense?"

Well it's news in the sense that it's all over the news...

But is common sense common to all .. ? That is the question

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

We had our fire service for smoke alarms & a carbon monoxide detector a few years ago. They advised that we switch everything off at the wall when not in use - except fridge freezer etc.. and not to use plug in air fresheners

J x

By *yron69Man  over a year ago

Fareham

My house is full of things I forgot to recharge.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Do you mean that by leaving your devices on stand by they're using electricity thereby bumping your bill up?

Is that really news Tom or common sense?

Well it's news in the sense that it's all over the news...

But is common sense common to all .. ? That is the question "

I believe it is. It's just that those lacking in it are noticed more easily

» Add a new message to this topic