FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Advice on extra curriculars/side hustles

Advice on extra curriculars/side hustles

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Without naming particular names, I have been thinking more and more lately about selling content on a well known website where people would pay a monthly subscription plus tips to see it. I'm not looking for opinions on whether this is moral or not; I'm not ashamed of wanting to make some extra money for my future and if people are willing to pay for it then why not take advantage of that?

I am worried about the implications with my employer though. I have a full-time, "professional" 9-5, and I'm aware that this particular side hustle is taxable, so presumably my tax code would change and HR would know something was up.

Privacy is another concern obviously, but I'm not planning on linking any of my personal social media to it, nor do any of my current socials say where I work.

My question is, does anyone have experience on either side of this, either as a content creator with another job or in HR? Would my current employer have grounds to dismiss me should they find out (I've pored over my contract and it says you can be fired for bringing the company into "disrepute", but doesn't define what that could be)? Would I have to declare it to any future employers?

I've tried researching this but most available material pertains to the US, where employment law differs by state.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ighty_tightyMan  over a year ago

Norfolk/Suffolk

Tax code would stay the same no? Why would you even need to inform your current employer?

Secondary income, complete a self assessment and it would be taxed accordingly at the 40% rate, I believe.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I would say if you was working in certain organisations that project a certain image or in a position of care (teachers etc) they could have rights to question you but definitely not immediate dismissal. They don't have the grounds to control your life outside of work but they do to 'protect the company's reputation'.

Best advice I can give is go under a star name

Get a pay and go SIM card and set up a legitimate gmail account

Under the stars name as so you can register to things and not have it come back if say you want to pull it

Most place like that can pay out in crypto like bit coin and eth

Set up a wallet and get payment in crypto

You will need social media though

But set them up under the star name

Less hardcore stuff on inst hardcore stuff snippets on the bird

Also Reddit groups there plenty off subreddit to premonit off

As for I.d and stuff the quite good and knowing that someone I.d will be different from they star name so no problem there

If it’s something you want to do go for it beautiful why not

There’s no shame in it

By *ellinever70Woman  over a year ago

Ayrshire

Do you have to declare a second income in your primary job? Some contracts have a clause for this as a conflict of interest

"Do you have to declare a second income in your primary job? Some contracts have a clause for this as a conflict of interest "

Yes and no if set up right and take payment in crypto

You can always just Pam it off as you bought it at a lower vaule and sold at higher

By *ookie doughMan  over a year ago

leic

I know of a woman that has quit her job and gone full time on the well know 'entertainment' site. She's registered as self employed and is all legitimate in that area, she is well know so simply keeps her face out of any shot and has a room in the house set aside for when she's working. All in all she says that it's the best thing she has ever done and wishes she had the opportunity to do it earlier and her earnings are on target to double that of last years for a fraction of the hours. There are however some subscribers that lower the tone so to speak and she's had to learn to ignore some negative comments and so on

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

I would like to do this 2! As been told there is an opening for mature women! And totally no shame in doing it! One of my daughters has tried to help me get if started as not very good with tech! But my stumbling is not having any photo I d x

Someone at my work was suspended for being on one of those sites but as far as I know she didn’t end up losing her job.

I've got s few mates that do this and been a guest performer on cam.

1. It's hard work and not the easy money spin that people think.

2. If you're worried about privacy you can put your settings to exclude UK or parts of the UK. (Not sure if this is a function avail on all sites, but it is out there)

3. Americans spend more money so if you're camming be prepared to keep odd hours.

4. Expect weirdos. You're on here so you've probably had plenty of experience.

Enjoy and good luck

By *viatrixWoman  over a year ago

Redhill

For me it’s not worth the risk at all as I could potentially be dismissed if recognised.

It’s also not as easy as it looks- when I was not employed I looked into this but there are so many hoops to jump through and my photo holding my ID kept getting rejected time after time. I have no patience. love creating content but remuneration is not a big deal for me. I’m like an actor who lives from applause lol

"I've got s few mates that do this and been a guest performer on cam.

2. If you're worried about privacy you can put your settings to exclude UK or parts of the UK. (Not sure if this is a function avail on all sites, but it is out there)

3. Americans spend more money so if you're camming be prepared to keep odd hours.

Enjoy and good luck "

4. Fabs a good tranning group for that and negative comments

As you usely get them when you turn people down

i think its curcumstance

not that anyone would want to see me do it, if i did i'd be breaking my code of conduct. being here is probably breaking that rule too.

so, depends on your current job what you are on, what you think you'll get and the risk ?

i'd make sure you do your sums first... most are lucky to make £200 a month tbh as youll be working your"proper" job you wobt have time to make vids and constantly upload new content.

very few make enough for a career..

just saying! voice of a serious dad!!

Enjoy and good luck

As you usely get them when you turn people down "

I thought that mid way through typing that sentence, but went for it anyway.

[Removed by poster at 24/04/22 13:40:12]

Enjoy and good luck

As you usely get them when you turn people down

I thought that mid way through typing that sentence, but went for it anyway. "

Yes for someone comeing from a vinnla back ground yes I could see how that can be a big problem

But all the years on fab has all ready numbed me to it ha ha

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Tax one thing , just register as self employed initially pay , declare as part time, pay the lower rate NI and if you don’t already do self assessment you will get one in Jan 2024 , you don’t need to submit in Jan 2023 if you didn’t earn before April 6 2022. You tax code won’t necessarily change ,, but it may they do things different these days and you have an X added like mine so you lose personal allowance and pay 40% on all income

Re your impact on your company reputation , you have to ensure nothing you do could damage them so prune all your social media linked in etc of your company first. Operate as an individual and make it clear on Insta you have a corporate job but are also a free individual away from the office , this is very common in Dubai if you want I could send you some profiles of very senior people also content creators showing how they manage this , it’s quite common with younger senior people

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Thanks everyone for the advice so far! Might be getting ahead of myself but want to make sure everything is as watertight as possible. Even if I only make £1 I'm assuming the tax rules etc still apply.

Looks like I have a long weekend of research ahead of me

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

As far as I know it’ll just be 40% tax as a second income. Check if you have to tell your employer about a 2nd job as some make it a point in the contract that you have.

Then do some research into the average earnings of this kinda work and think if you really want to do it.

Good luck

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

If it's a second job, surely you could do it on a self employed basis and pay tax at the lower rate or corporate rate (if via Ltd Company).

With regards to your job, wear a mask and/or don’t show your face.

They could most likely get you on the disrepute section, so just be careful.

You can only get payment into your bank account in the UK, so no crypto/paypal.

It’s A LOT of work, it’s not as easy as it sounds.

Thought about this too but the job I’m in I just can’t risk it.

Good luck tho! Defo no shaming at all!

By *ixenandhoundCouple  over a year ago

Plymouth, South west

It's all about the job you do. Vixen has a page and a full time respectable job... ive 'bumped' into more people on here and in swingers clubs than I have through anything paid

I guess it depends on the consequences with work, I'm not so worried about the personal circumstances, if people are willing to pay to look then thats fine with me... especially when I put pics on here for free.

It's not easy though, like on here, some people have lots of followers and get instant fabs, for others like me, I'm just happy to have a few

» Add a new message to this topic