FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Gym people

Gym people

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Advice please im quite new to doing gym stuff jormally used home weights but is it normal when lifting weights for your throat to spasm and jaw lock up it feels like i got bells palsy under my chin when i push for extras its like when a muscle feels like its about to cramp but in my throat if thats what it is how do i stretch it out?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Advice please im quite new to doing gym stuff jormally used home weights but is it normal when lifting weights for your throat to spasm and jaw lock up it feels like i got bells palsy under my chin when i push for extras its like when a muscle feels like its about to cramp but in my throat if thats what it is how do i stretch it out? "

Speak to a dr i would mate don’t sound normal that to be honest

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

What lift are you doing? Are you excessively clenching your jaw or something?

"What lift are you doing? Are you excessively clenching your jaw or something? "
i think you nailed it simple cramp my shoulder blade started cramping 10 mins later

By *assing Fancies xCouple  over a year ago

Sherwood Forest

Tense with your core... either that or don't go straight for heavy... build up to it during your workouts, start lighter and get heavier Mr

"Tense with your core... either that or don't go straight for heavy... build up to it during your workouts, start lighter and get heavier Mr "
its my own fault iv barely been in a couple months so tried to make up for it today got in compete with the young kids mode silly old bugger

Drop the wight before it drops you trust me you don’t want to end up on a gym fails video on YouTube

"Drop the wight before it drops you trust me you don’t want to end up on a gym fails video on YouTube "
dropped and home now

"Drop the wight before it drops you trust me you don’t want to end up on a gym fails video on YouTube dropped and home now "

What I mean is lower the wight before you end up like these people

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TJMKHwjmcyc

By *ife NinjaMan  over a year ago

Dunfermline

"Tense with your core... either that or don't go straight for heavy... build up to it during your workouts, start lighter and get heavier Mr its my own fault iv barely been in a couple months so tried to make up for it today got in compete with the young kids mode silly old bugger"

I use to do 250kgs. Got injured. That's the end of that. I'd get that checked, as that isn't normal fella

By *assing Fancies xCouple  over a year ago

Sherwood Forest

"Tense with your core... either that or don't go straight for heavy... build up to it during your workouts, start lighter and get heavier Mr its my own fault iv barely been in a couple months so tried to make up for it today got in compete with the young kids mode silly old bugger"
nah you've only got yourself to compete with... wheather it be to build muscle mass, get fit or lose weight jumping straight into the heavier weights is only going cause you trouble or maybe even injures. Find a weight you are comfortable with and build from there, when you find it to easy then add more kgs. But again even still I'd still warm up on a lower weight and build up to your prefered one. And always remember that it's not all about reps or how heavy you lift, time under tension and the correct technique can was a massive impact. Just enjoy what you are doing and it will all fall into place Mr

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

You'll just hurt yourself like that and lifting with incorrect form because you can't handle the weight will do less for you than lifting less with correct form.

It’s not very common that I have known it before.

As someone said above you should try and keep your core tight and keep the mind on the muscle you are working.

Relax your neck and check your posture. Forward rolled shoulders are really common with lifters.

A lot of people can actually push a lot more weight if they correct their posture it’s all about mechanics and that’s how you avoid most injury’s

Is it all exercises ? Or a specific one ?

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple  over a year ago

Lincoln

Personally I'd say drop the weight, concentrate on form rather than lifting big numbers, relax where you can, and remember to breathe

It may be worth getting a trainer for a few weeks just to check your form and give you some tips

LvM

By *urga2076Woman  over a year ago

London

"Personally I'd say drop the weight, concentrate on form rather than lifting big numbers, relax where you can, and remember to breathe

It may be worth getting a trainer for a few weeks just to check your form and give you some tips

LvM"

I would take this advice. Good form is crucial.

"Personally I'd say drop the weight, concentrate on form rather than lifting big numbers, relax where you can, and remember to breathe

LvM

I would take this advice. Good form is crucial. "

think it was just a case of overdoing it iv hardly been to the gym since i had covid a couple months back got me cramping up

Had it loads of times, it's a form of lockjaw caused by cramping

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

LvM

I would take this advice. Good form is crucial. think it was just a case of overdoing it iv hardly been to the gym since i had covid a couple months back got me cramping up"

If you think it’s cramping get some hydration salts and drink a pack with a glass of water before going

But as other have said, it’s an odd issue. I’d probably see a PT for s few weeks too

By *oeBeansMan  over a year ago

Derby

Had it on deadlifts when going for a PB but like others say, best to start off lower and work your way up for your working sets. I'd say try to keep your core tight to prevent energy leaks so that it doesn't go to your jaw

My ill informed tuppence - people tension react differently. If I overdo it I get a weird twitch in the cheek muscle under my right right eye that will develop into a full lock jaw if I keep pushing through and that's pretty much with any upper body exercise. If you get persistent or repetitive pains or locking then obvs you are going to be having a discussion with a professional medical practitioner

I remember my first post Covid run and I tried to go out the gate as quick as I used to. Cue gasping for air 100m in. I regulated my breathing and completed the run only 10 seconds off my usual 5km time. I think post Covid you have to ramp back in a bit more serenely

If you're still tense, try lying on your back and gently turning your head from side to side to release tension. Then, get on all fours (like you're about to get bummed) and take a deep breath then breathe out of your mouth whilst sticking out your tongue. It's called lion's breath and is the quickest way to relieve tension in your jaw.

If you’re having cramps in the gym try eating bananas for potassium and drinking more water.

"If you're still tense, try lying on your back and gently turning your head from side to side to release tension. Then, get on all fours (like you're about to get bummed) and take a deep breath then breathe out of your mouth whilst sticking out your tongue. It's called lion's breath and is the quickest way to relieve tension in your jaw. "
il give it a go teach

"If you're still tense, try lying on your back and gently turning your head from side to side to release tension. Then, get on all fours (like you're about to get bummed) and take a deep breath then breathe out of your mouth whilst sticking out your tongue. It's called lion's breath and is the quickest way to relieve tension in your jaw. il give it a go teach "

Good boy. Send pics.

"If you're still tense, try lying on your back and gently turning your head from side to side to release tension. Then, get on all fours (like you're about to get bummed) and take a deep breath then breathe out of your mouth whilst sticking out your tongue. It's called lion's breath and is the quickest way to relieve tension in your jaw. il give it a go teach

Good boy. Send pics. "

i cant relax and hold my phone up il drop it on my ear

"Drop the wight before it drops you trust me you don’t want to end up on a gym fails video on YouTube dropped and home now

What I mean is lower the wight before you end up like these people

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TJMKHwjmcyc"

Fainted several times after a deadlift in comp, once in the gym.

Not unusual if you're going for a max effort lift.

» Add a new message to this topic