FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Electric Cars

Electric Cars

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

With all the fuel shortages and rising petrol/diesel prices these day (I had to go to the three fuel stations before I got diesel)…

Is it time to consider and electric car?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

With the cost off electric these days you maybe cheaper sticking to your engen cars

"With the cost off electric these days you maybe cheaper sticking to your engen cars"

That is a good point… but prices are coming down…

Not for me, will hold off for as long as I possibly can, much prefer driving a ICE car over electric.

Test driven a few, the fast Teslas are only fractionally faster than mine, they are dull to drive, handle poorly and build quality materials are shocking.

"With the cost off electric these days you maybe cheaper sticking to your engen cars

That is a good point… but prices are coming down…"

On the car yes but price are going up in electric so just just works out the same

We just had a price rise

And another one comeing in October it be like a 200% increase form last year

"Not for me, will hold off for as long as I possibly can, much prefer driving a ICE car over electric.

Test driven a few, the fast Teslas are only fractionally faster than mine, they are dull to drive, handle poorly and build quality materials are shocking."

I have an eye on the EV6 - test drove it… not convinced though (for the price)

"Not for me, will hold off for as long as I possibly can, much prefer driving a ICE car over electric.

Test driven a few, the fast Teslas are only fractionally faster than mine, they are dull to drive, handle poorly and build quality materials are shocking."

??? So what 1000 and odd hop car then as I have seen teslas beat up on 1200hp stangs and vets all day on the street

Given that the government grsnt for car charging has ended I think you'll see a slowing down in the electric car charging industry...also any new car charging installations now have to smart units enabling energy companies to control flow to the charging point there is now a massive drawback to the electric car industry.

1 - average electric car price is £35k

2 - average cost of charger (including install) is £1500

And that's before you even consider the car market value of the once the batteries reach end of life ... something the government or car manufacturers currently do not discuss.

In all honesty we are still 10 years plus away from having the infrastructure viable to support a total electric car country.

I'd stick with non electric, or a very good hybrid currently

By *UNKIEMan  over a year ago

south east

"Given that the government grsnt for car charging has ended I think you'll see a slowing down in the electric car charging industry...also any new car charging installations now have to smart units enabling energy companies to control flow to the charging point there is now a massive drawback to the electric car industry.

1 - average electric car price is £35k

2 - average cost of charger (including install) is £1500

And that's before you even consider the car market value of the once the batteries reach end of life ... something the government or car manufacturers currently do not discuss.

In all honesty we are still 10 years plus away from having the infrastructure viable to support a total electric car country.

I'd stick with non electric, or a very good hybrid currently "

this

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Get a horse.

This is complicated. You also have to consider depreciation. Will people want second hand electric cars with the current technology. Old batteries are rubbish!

Also I imagine the more people buy electric cars the more demand for electricity hence price rises, less oil demand should mean cheaper diesel and petrol.

Probably buy what you like the most

"Get a horse."

Like the good ‘ol days?

Test driven a few, the fast Teslas are only fractionally faster than mine, they are dull to drive, handle poorly and build quality materials are shocking.

??? So what 1000 and odd hop car then as I have seen teslas beat up on 1200hp stangs and vets all day on the street "

Yeah, the plaid and the like are 2s to 60 and 9.2 1/4, mile, stupid fast no doubt. They just don't excite me, poorly made, dull to drive other than being faster than mine I a straight line. I'll stick with mine and all the exhaust noise thanks.

??? So what 1000 and odd hop car then as I have seen teslas beat up on 1200hp stangs and vets all day on the street

Yeah, the plaid and the like are 2s to 60 and 9.2 1/4, mile, stupid fast no doubt. They just don't excite me, poorly made, dull to drive other than being faster than mine I a straight line. I'll stick with mine and all the exhaust noise thanks."

It’s a shame the uk isn’t like the us

They make they money ten fold on them

Putting them on the streets

Yeah, the plaid and the like are 2s to 60 and 9.2 1/4, mile, stupid fast no doubt. They just don't excite me, poorly made, dull to drive other than being faster than mine I a straight line. I'll stick with mine and all the exhaust noise thanks."

Yeah one trick ponies. Can't deny they're quick in a straight line. Though my favourite car was not nearly my fastest in a straight line. I really don't want combustion engines to disappear

By *elinefineWoman  over a year ago

kempston

"Get a horse."

They aren’t cheap either!!!!! Anyone that thinks horse people are rich is delusional…. Massive struggles to find bedding and feed for mine at the moment with prices increasing all the time…..

I picked up a hybrid car 10 days ago. Cost wise it was about the same as what I was paying before and so far it is saving me money.

"Get a horse.

They aren’t cheap either!!!!! Anyone that thinks horse people are rich is delusional…. Massive struggles to find bedding and feed for mine at the moment with prices increasing all the time…..

I picked up a hybrid car 10 days ago. Cost wise it was about the same as what I was paying before and so far it is saving me money."

I’m sure having a horse is a huge commitment… and vets bills…

By *aysOfOurLivesCouple  over a year ago

Chigwell

It really does depend on your needs but despite the blurb, electrics really can’t do longer journeys.

What they don’t tell you is the queueing time to get on a service station charger, then then time to charge at the rate that individual charger is set to give out (that is a wide ranging and oft random number) …E.g… we know someone who on two identical trips took 7.5 then 9hours to Leeds.

Then there is a VHS/BETAMAX war over standardising batteries because there is a plan to introduce “battery pack” that can be “swapped” in a kind of “calor gas - bottles” where there is a mechanism to simply swap “battery packs” and have you one your way in 5mins (that’s the plan anyways) …so right now may not be the right time to switch - however, this tech may never become the norm and you’d have wasted years waiting for it.

So, not much help really

By *irtyold manMan  over a year ago

barnsley

Electric is the future and its a future we wil have to make as oure leaders sit on theire asses and blow hot air

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

"Electric is the future and its a future we wil have to make as oure leaders sit on theire asses and blow hot air"

I'll go for hot air and get a balloon.

"Electric is the future and its a future we wil have to make as oure leaders sit on theire asses and blow hot air"

Only because "our leaders" have decided electric is the future. Actually electric was before petrol and diesel but it was trumped by oil derivatives. Now suddenly electric is the future. I'm confused.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

??? So what 1000 and odd hop car then as I have seen teslas beat up on 1200hp stangs and vets all day on the street "

I have seen 250cc motorbikes beat up everything in traffic jams, you can only go as fast as the car in front will let you.

By *enuineCoupleCheshireBBWCouple  over a year ago

Cheshire

E cars are an environmental disaster in the making

Tesla has 7000 18650 batteries in it non are recyclable lithium ion is highly toxic

It takes 1900 tons of water to make 1 ton of lithium

Russia is killing Ukraine for lithium

Wake up don't buy e cars pressure government for hydrogen vehicles the prices are being hiked up to force public into the e cars

By *r WhispererMan  over a year ago

brynmawr

"E cars are an environmental disaster in the making

Tesla has 7000 18650 batteries in it non are recyclable lithium ion is highly toxic

It takes 1900 tons of water to make 1 ton of lithium

Russia is killing Ukraine for lithium

Wake up don't buy e cars pressure government for hydrogen vehicles the prices are being hiked up to force public into the e cars "

This is spot on.. Ukraine has lithium reserves among the highest in the world..

The co2 footprint of an ev car brand new is roughly equal to an ice car at 70,000 miles. All the people who have a new car every 3 years will be approximately doubling their carbon footprint and selling a car with a very limited lifespan. At 60-70,000 miles an ev battery is down to 60-70% depending on which manufacturer and the only ever get 70-80% of the claimed range.

The only sensible option for now in my opinion are hybrid cars, some of which are extremely economical..

and another example to mull over..

Tesla battery £10,000

Jag I pace battery £14k+..

That’s far too much to be spending on a 6

-7 year old car!

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

Until the EVs run on electricity not generated by ungreen sources.

And the cars themselves are't so ungreen in being built, it's a no from me

By *eadinthecloudsMan  over a year ago

Manchester

Second hand Nissan leaf or Renault Zoe 4-5k. £5ish to charge over night on a cheap tariff. I don't see what the downside is here...

Another plus is of course helping to avert a species ending disaster which seems very much on the cards at the moment. (Incase the economic argument wasn't enough...)

Manchester

"Until the EVs run on electricity not generated by ungreen sources.

And the cars themselves are't so ungreen in being built, it's a no from me "

Most energy in this country is from green sources.

Manchester

"With all the fuel shortages and rising petrol/diesel prices these day (I had to go to the three fuel stations before I got diesel)…

Is it time to consider and electric car?"

Maybe ditch the idea of using a car for every journey and use a bike / e-bike. Save boat loads of money and get exercise/ be happier for it.

"With all the fuel shortages and rising petrol/diesel prices these day (I had to go to the three fuel stations before I got diesel)…

Is it time to consider and electric car?

Maybe ditch the idea of using a car for every journey and use a bike / e-bike. Save boat loads of money and get exercise/ be happier for it."

I ride my bike to work everyday and walk to the shops. This is not a reality for many busy people or people with a considerable journey to work and such like.

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

Most energy in this country is from green sources."

Most?

By *itygamesMan  over a year ago

UK

no , never gonna be enough charging points on housing estates , airports , tower blocks etc etc , loadsa people cant even park outside there own house these days,

i'd wait , theyll make petrol cars with clean fuel and filters or self charging cars.

By *ud and BryanCouple  over a year ago

Boston, Lincolnshire

We looked at buying an electric car last weekend - but they're double the price of the petrol version, plus the cost of a home charger.

By *an1978Woman  over a year ago

GONE/TIMEOUT (No DMs please)

Nope nope nope.

The range means they are useless here anyway as steep hills and long distances between charging stations.. if you can find a station at all.

The energy and emissions to produce the charge them doesn't seem to count in the cuckooland environmental figures, then the disposal..

"no , never gonna be enough charging points on housing estates , airports , tower blocks etc etc , loadsa people cant even park outside there own house these days,

i'd wait , theyll make petrol cars with clean fuel and filters or self charging cars."

I would think petrol stations would also become charging stations. Also the removable battery pack idea has to be the best solution.

I'd like to think new clean fuels will be the way forward but Boris has already said no to synthetic fuels. Why I don't know. Bloody politics

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

There a shell electric car charging station local to me I have only ever seen 2 cars using it

But knowing she’ll they are probably ripping people off just line with their fuel

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

But then again you can fill your tank in around 2 minutes at a petrol station and drive 700 odd miles.

Even if (as quoted a lot at the moment) the infrastructure was in place so that there were five times as many charging points as petrol stations.....how long does it take to fully charge an EV?

And if you live in a flat, rely on on-street parking and work for someone that doesn't offer charging points in a company car park then you're pretty much stuck with where you can charge your car.

A

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Get a horse.

I picked up a hybrid car 10 days ago. Cost wise it was about the same as what I was paying before and so far it is saving me money.

I’m sure having a horse is a huge commitment… and vets bills…"

Running a horse is considerably more expensive than a car...EV or ICE.

A large proportion is but there are issues.

If you look at the energy mix data for last summer there was not much wind over this period so we had to turn gas plant back on.

Solar is ok in the summer in the day but generates nothing at night. The battery storage that solar charges does not top up the grid but is used for frequency response.

When we all have electric cars, get home from work and plug them in, if there's no solar because it's dark, no wind then we fall back to fossil as back up.

There is estimated to be a 16-21GW shortage of generation required for the country to go fully electric.

Only realistic otion for this is the SMR project being led by Rollys Royce, smaller nuclear plant.

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

"Get a horse."

I've only got room for a cat though, a dog at a push.

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

Most energy in this country is from green sources.

A large proportion is but there are issues.

If you look at the energy mix data for last summer there was not much wind over this period so we had to turn gas plant back on.

Solar is ok in the summer in the day but generates nothing at night. The battery storage that solar charges does not top up the grid but is used for frequency response.

When we all have electric cars, get home from work and plug them in, if there's no solar because it's dark, no wind then we fall back to fossil as back up.

There is estimated to be a 16-21GW shortage of generation required for the country to go fully electric.

Only realistic otion for this is the SMR project being led by Rollys Royce, smaller nuclear plant.

"

Yep. The government agenda pushing people into EV purchase via legislation, tax changes and the creation of CAZ's before there is sufficient infrastructure in place to both generate more electricity and provide charging facilities sufficient to meet demand, is insane.

Yes, the motives are good. But without the correct actions, in the correct order at the correct times it solves little and causes increased issues both practical and financial to too many people.

In a few months I won't even be able to drive into the centre of Bristol to go shopping. I could enter the car park at Cabot Circus without crossing the CAZ boundary but not leave without being charged. So I'll go elsewhere because it's free. I'll still be generating the same emissions, just in a different place.

A

By *urnedoutniceagainMan  over a year ago

louth

Electric cars are a great idea but they are currently not fit for purpose. People are basically paying boat loads of cash to drive around in prototypes

By *imbo59seMan  over a year ago

North Norfolk

Surely, living in cloud cuckoo land, you'd be better off with an Autogyro, or helicopter.....wouldn't you!!!

By *urnedoutniceagainMan  over a year ago

louth

Plus the fact that the government has already commented that revenue from road fund licences (tax) has dropped significantly due to people making the switch to electric. I wonder how they will make up the shortfall? Stand by to have a new tax introduced on your electric car!

By *enuine MikeMan  over a year ago

Guildford

Electric cars appeal mainly to the elite. Those with a decent sized hous, garage, those earning a considerable wage packet, those that get them as a tax perk via their business.

To the average Joe on the street, electric cars are still a generation away.

Cars are too expensive and the charging infrastructure isn't widespread enough. They charging infrastructure isn't practical for most people either.

I considered a Smart ForTwo EV but at £20plus K they can do one. And it's only got a 60 mile range between charges.

The technology isn't robust enough or reliable enough. It's still relatively new. Until the range gets better, prices get cheaper, maintenance including the replacement of major components get significantly affordable; the electric car will only ever be an option for the Rich.

Not for me

Perhaps in London, totally out of the question in Rural Scotland, you may find a charger point if lucky, but will it work? will you have correct fitting? and will you have correct card, and if you are lucky with all above, join the queue of 3 or 4 cars in line waiting to charge.

good luck.

I will be one of many purchasing the last of the new fossil fuel cars in 2030, since they said they are stopping, I bet orders will be huge

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

"This is complicated. You also have to consider depreciation. Will people want second hand electric cars with the current technology. Old batteries are rubbish!

Also I imagine the more people buy electric cars the more demand for electricity hence price rises, less oil demand should mean cheaper diesel and petrol.

"

Cheaper barrel prices but will probably be green taxed to the hilt! So probably won't result in cheaper fuel.

"This is complicated. You also have to consider depreciation. Will people want second hand electric cars with the current technology. Old batteries are rubbish!

Cheaper barrel prices but will probably be green taxed to the hilt! So probably won't result in cheaper fuel. "

Aye your probably right. Green taxes should never have been allowed. They could end up covering anything and everything.

By *ameasyou1234Couple  over a year ago

Nottingham

No. To be able to fully replace cars that need fuel, they are years away. Too expensive and they are still a compromise.

By *ameasyou1234Couple  over a year ago

Nottingham

No one will want an electric car with a limited life left in the battery as they will be too costly to replace. And even if a cars battery is replaced, what happens to the old battery? Masses more e waste that no one will want anything to do with. The whole life cycle of a car needs to be thought about a lot more with electric cars. Scrap yards won't want anything to do with them as they won't be able to just scrap them anymore.

"No. To be able to fully replace cars that need fuel, they are years away. Too expensive and they are still a compromise. "

Radio 4 had a programme on this yesterday and id the maths. Summary from what i remember below.

1 in 5 cars bought are EV

Based on a Vauxhall Corsa Model of EV vs ICE

16,000 miles needed to offset the extra CO2 used in production for a EV car and an ICE equivalent.

38,000 miles needed to offset the cost difference of an EV vs ICE Variant.

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Nobody else should buy an electric car. They are evil.

That way, I can keep all the chargers for myself

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

i power my EV from a solar array on my property. it's costing nothing to charge atm. also EV chargers are scheduled to come down in price as they become a plug in device rather than a tt based installation. according to the IET, very soon the EV charger section of the electrical AM2 qualification will cease to exist and will be written out of the 19th edition alltogether.

"No. To be able to fully replace cars that need fuel, they are years away. Too expensive and they are still a compromise.

Radio 4 had a programme on this yesterday and id the maths. Summary from what i remember below.

1 in 5 cars bought are EV

Based on a Vauxhall Corsa Model of EV vs ICE

16,000 miles needed to offset the extra CO2 used in production for a EV car and an ICE equivalent.

38,000 miles needed to offset the cost difference of an EV vs ICE Variant.

"

I think that's optimistic by the BBC. Volvo themselves did a study which I believe said it was around 90,000 miles to break even in the UK for emissions. I have a feeling that does not include the fact that the battery will be ever decreasing in efficiency during that time or in cold periods where batteries suffer. You have to remember that the battery will be needing replaced which offsets it in the I.C.E favour again.

» Add a new message to this topic