FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Domestic abuse

Domestic abuse

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *parkle1974 OP   Woman  over a year ago

Leeds

Do you agree with people found guilty of DA being placed on a register?

If they don't disclose to police that they are in a new relationship they face up to 5 years in prison x

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

Yes I do.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yes, I absolutely agree. Though unfortunately too many go on to abuse others without being prosecuted x

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

I’d need to know a lot lord info on the subject to make a decision but from just this, the idea of having to inform police about relationships is a huge no.

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan  over a year ago

Aylesbury

Sounds like a sensible policy to me.

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan  over a year ago

Aylesbury

"I’d need to know a lot lord info on the subject to make a decision but from just this, the idea of having to inform police about relationships is a huge no. "

But they would only be required to do so if they have been convicted of domestic abuse.

Found guilty? For which specific crime? Not at all knowledgeable on it, sorry.

And do you mean as in made accessible to the public?

w

"I’d need to know a lot lord info on the subject to make a decision but from just this, the idea of having to inform police about relationships is a huge no.

But they would only be required to do so if they have been convicted of domestic abuse."

That’s why I’d need a lot more info to make a real decision. From just this info alone I say no, because I’m not clued up on what gets you convicted and ri what level requires you to have to be in this list

Is there not already a law that a woman can contact the police about their partner and they say if they’ve been arrested for anything violent?

"Do you agree with people found guilty of DA being placed on a register?

If they don't disclose to police that they are in a new relationship they face up to 5 years in prison x"

A similar system to the Sex Offenders Register? Yes, it could work.

Leeds

"Found guilty? For which specific crime? Not at all knowledgeable on it, sorry.

And do you mean as in made accessible to the public?"

It looks a bit like Claires Law from what I've read.

Yes there's Clare's law. It's a domestic violence disclosure scheme.

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

Yes great idea.

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Yes deffo very good idea x

I wonder what the police do with that information?

So say someone, who has been convicted, goes to them and says they're in a new relationship...what do the police do? Warn their new partner? Does that happen? I mean, what's the point of telling the police they're in a new relationship?

Leeds

"I wonder what the police do with that information?

So say someone, who has been convicted, goes to them and says they're in a new relationship...what do the police do? Warn their new partner? Does that happen? I mean, what's the point of telling the police they're in a new relationship? "

It seems that the police would then inform the new partner (or would have too).

Then I think its a good idea.

Convictions don't come lightly.

Liverpool

"Then I think its a good idea.

Convictions don't come lightly. "

This is my thoughts.

I know there will be an air of concern around Data sharing and its effectiveness.

People do change,but if someone starts a new relationship with a previous conviction,then it's reasonable for the new partner to be informed if their partner is a risk.

People can be charming and exploit others then suddenly change when they have an element of control.

By *ellinever70Woman  over a year ago

Ayrshire

I can see a lot of issues around this...at what point is at a new relationship...when they're living together, after they've seen each other a certain number of times?

I'd need more info. What specific crimes? Who could access the register? Would it be included in DBS checks? How long are they on the register for?

"I'd need more info. What specific crimes? Who could access the register? Would it be included in DBS checks? How long are they on the register for? "

I would be particularly interested if this applies to coercive control.

Leeds

"I'd need more info. What specific crimes? Who could access the register? Would it be included in DBS checks? How long are they on the register for? "

Try Google.

"Yes there's Clare's law. It's a domestic violence disclosure scheme. "
Then yes, I think its a good idea. As long as it applies to anyone, not just men.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

So say someone, who has been convicted, goes to them and says they're in a new relationship...what do the police do? Warn their new partner? Does that happen? I mean, what's the point of telling the police they're in a new relationship? "

I'm guessing it could be a deterrent of sorts to stop them reoffending. My first question would be how can anyone enforce this? What would be in place to ensure an offender told the police they were in a new relationship?

By *cotty1376Man  over a year ago

PRESTON

im sure Clare's law lets you check if a new partner has been done with DA before, but like has been said, a lot would never get that far to get to court or have charges dropped, any man that raises a hand to a woman , is no man. ( not to say all DA is men by the way )

By *ong-leggedblondWoman  over a year ago

Next Door

Can't see the offenders updating there address etc.

You can get this sort of info under a DVDS application.

Liverpool

All convictions already show on DBS.

Leeds

"I can see a lot of issues around this...at what point is at a new relationship...when they're living together, after they've seen each other a certain number of times?

"

I thought that re time scale x

w

+ what counts as a relationship? Do I have to tell every tinder match and every person I come into contact with? What about a hook up off here?

As a statement, in the perfect world, it sounds like a great idea if we could forewarn everyone about potential dangers

As usual, the devil is in the details, and how it’s executed.

Leeds

"im sure Clare's law lets you check if a new partner has been done with DA before, but like has been said, a lot would never get that far to get to court or have charges dropped, any man that raises a hand to a woman , is no man. ( not to say all DA is men by the way ) "

From what I've read, this is some sort of extention to CL x

By *ong-leggedblondWoman  over a year ago

Next Door

"Yes there's Clare's law. It's a domestic violence disclosure scheme. Then yes, I think its a good idea. As long as it applies to anyone, not just men."

It gives the right for anyone to ask if their partner may pose as a risk to them, close family members can also ask.

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

I think the punishment for not disclosing is a bit steep. Though if its not strong enough it does not really do much I guess.

However I agree that if somebody has a DV conviction then it needs to be noted by the correct authority so that a potential victim is aware.

I would agree with this as they say prevention is better than a cure if it reduces the domestic abuse rate then its a good thing but not all will agree with it

So say someone, who has been convicted, goes to them and says they're in a new relationship...what do the police do? Warn their new partner? Does that happen? I mean, what's the point of telling the police they're in a new relationship?

I'm guessing it could be a deterrent of sorts to stop them reoffending. My first question would be how can anyone enforce this? What would be in place to ensure an offender told the police they were in a new relationship?"

With the sex offenders register, failure to register or notify changes is an offence in itself which can result in imprisonment.

w

"Yes there's Clare's law. It's a domestic violence disclosure scheme. Then yes, I think its a good idea. As long as it applies to anyone, not just men.

It gives the right for anyone to ask if their partner may pose as a risk to them, close family members can also ask.

"

How does that work? Can I just walk into a police station, say anyone is my partner and see if they are on it?

How does privacy and data protection work with this?

" I know there will be an air of concern around Data sharing and its effectiveness.

People do change,but if someone starts a new relationship with a previous conviction,then it's reasonable for the new partner to be informed if their partner is a risk.

People can be charming and exploit others then suddenly change when they have an element of control."

In cases of domestic violence perpetrators rarely change. Some do, but the majority don't.

"I'd need more info. What specific crimes? Who could access the register? Would it be included in DBS checks? How long are they on the register for?

Try Google."

You've provided no info on whether this is proposed legislation or not and what it's called? Is this actually in the works?

Yes.

Could possibly be similar to a, crb check? If itsa, conviction it would be in there?

By *hancer666Man  over a year ago

Redbourn

if they served their sentence for what they were charged with should they be placed on register id have to say no in theory. People are able to do checks on new partners etc. also ive no idea if domestic abuse charges can vary in type and levels

Leeds

"Yes there's Clare's law. It's a domestic violence disclosure scheme. Then yes, I think its a good idea. As long as it applies to anyone, not just men.

How does that work? Can I just walk into a police station, say anyone is my partner and see if they are on it?

How does privacy and data protection work with this? "

This scheme gives any member of the public the right to ask the police if their partner may pose a risk to them. It is often called ‘Clare’s Law’ after the landmark case that led to it.

This scheme also allows a member of the public to make an enquiry into the partner of a close friend or family member....

Yes, I would like to know if a new partner has been convicted of previous domestic violence offences

"I'd need more info. What specific crimes? Who could access the register? Would it be included in DBS checks? How long are they on the register for?

All convictions already show on DBS. "

Of course. D'oh

By *hoirCouple  over a year ago

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

If they don't disclose to police that they are in a new relationship they face up to 5 years in prison x"

I think prison time for violent acts is just but onve they have served their time then they should be free.

C

w

This scheme gives any member of the public the right to ask the police if their partner may pose a risk to them. It is often called ‘Clare’s Law’ after the landmark case that led to it.

This scheme also allows a member of the public to make an enquiry into the partner of a close friend or family member...."

I understand that, but is that it?

Can I just walk into a police station and say “X is my partner give me the gossip” and they just provide? No checks on whether X is your partner or not? Just free access to the info for anyone?

Leeds

This scheme also allows a member of the public to make an enquiry into the partner of a close friend or family member....

Can I just walk into a police station and say “X is my partner give me the gossip” and they just provide? No checks on whether X is your partner or not? Just free access to the info for anyone? "

Haven't a clue as I've never had to do it....

Can I just walk into a police station and say “X is my partner give me the gossip” and they just provide? No checks on whether X is your partner or not? Just free access to the info for anyone? "

No, you absolutely can't do that.

By *cotty1376Man  over a year ago

PRESTON

At a guess i think the police would 1st check that there is some sort of relationship there but wouldn't know how they'd do that

No.

Each request will be looked at on a case by case basis, before any decision is made as to what is or is not disclosed

It's hardly trivial gossip.

w

Can I just walk into a police station and say “X is my partner give me the gossip” and they just provide? No checks on whether X is your partner or not? Just free access to the info for anyone?

No.

Each request will be looked at on a case by case basis, before any decision is made as to what is or is not disclosed"

Right that makes sense. There’s gotta be some kind of checks before just giving out private info to anyone that asks

No.

Each request will be looked at on a case by case basis, before any decision is made as to what is or is not disclosed

Right that makes sense. There’s gotta be some kind of checks before just giving out private info to anyone that asks "

Most forces have a department that deals full time with this very thing. Also the approach to DA these days is very much muti agency. Its massively better than in the old days.

It's hardly trivial gossip. "

I think it's quite clear due process would be followed.

Liverpool

Of course. D'oh "

Well... There's technically some exceptions. But violent offences will always show. It's not easy to get a conviction protected and usually applies to convictions from when you were under 18. I know someone who has to disclose a conviction because it shows up on DBS. He got d*unk and ran from the police with a traffic cone on his head. Its never stopped him getting a job but it must be embarrassing to disclose .

By *areToShareCouple  over a year ago

Bingham

Great idea... That way many of the guys that are subjected to mental cruelty and physical abuse by their female partners, would be more inclined to come forward. About time we rid society of the untold abuse women inflict on their spouses.

Oh, sorry, was this just a man bashing thread? I do apologise.. NOT!

By *otMe66Man  over a year ago

Terra Firma

This idea seems to rely on a, female or male, going to a police station to check on their partners history.

What would drive that initial check, would it be before they get together? Is it because of an incident?

I think something could be done to protect people from predators, both male and female, I'm not sure this is it though.

Of course. D'oh

Well... There's technically some exceptions. But violent offences will always show. It's not easy to get a conviction protected and usually applies to convictions from when you were under 18. I know someone who has to disclose a conviction because it shows up on DBS. He got d*unk and ran from the police with a traffic cone on his head. Its never stopped him getting a job but it must be embarrassing to disclose . "

Oh my!

Leeds

"Great idea... That way many of the guys that are subjected to mental cruelty and physical abuse by their female partners, would be more inclined to come forward. About time we rid society of the untold abuse women inflict on their spouses.

Oh, sorry, was this just a man bashing thread? I do apologise.. NOT! "

It certainly wasn't a man bashing thread. All perpetrators male or female should be on the list.

"Great idea... That way many of the guys that are subjected to mental cruelty and physical abuse by their female partners, would be more inclined to come forward. About time we rid society of the untold abuse women inflict on their spouses.

I think it was a sensible discussion about protecting people from Domestic Abuse. The man bashing thread is second door on the left.

I could be wrong though.

The OP is not gendered. There's no suggestion from anyone this only applies to male crime.

Leeds

And if you notice on my opening OP....I said "people convicted" x

Anything which helps protect the victims from repeat offenders has to be a good thing.

If you don’t want to be on the list. Don’t abuse. Simple as that!

So yea such a scheme would get our vote!

w

The OP is not gendered. There's no suggestion from anyone this only applies to male crime."

While it’s not gendered, there’s still inequality within the system that could inadvertently make these kind of laws favour one gender.

I’d like to see more of those biases and inequalities sorted out so that both genders can fully reap the benefits of laws like these

I can't get the police to investigate a burglary, what chance do I have with them keeping up to date with my love life and warning me of dangerous women I might be dating.

Leeds

The OP is not gendered. There's no suggestion from anyone this only applies to male crime.

While it’s not gendered, there’s still inequality within the system that could inadvertently make these kind of laws favour one gender.

I’d like to see more of those biases and inequalities sorted out so that both genders can fully reap the benefits of laws like these "

I only think there is inequality due to the number of men who don't/wouldn't report this type of abuse for fear of being labelled for example "weak or whatever or not being believed.

I do wish more men would report any incidents as we all know this type of abuse happens to all sexes x

w

I’d like to see more of those biases and inequalities sorted out so that both genders can fully reap the benefits of laws like these

I only think there is inequality due to the number of men who don't/wouldn't report this type of abuse for fear of being labelled for example "weak or whatever or not being believed.

I do wish more men would report any incidents as we all know this type of abuse happens to all sexes x

"

It’s not just that, women on average face lesser sentences than men and on average are convicted less. That’s probably even higher in domestic abuse situations. That’s coupled with less men reporting it because they are scared/ashamed, or they feel nothing will get done

So anyone dating a female isn’t going to get the full benefits of these types of laws as someone that dated men

By *nigmatic x DivinityCouple  over a year ago

Up town top ranking

100%

For both men and woman Abusers!

DV is looked upon mostly as the male dominator, However the amount of men that suffer such soul destroying abuse feel they cannot reach out! Most end up committing suicide

Worked with many of them.

It’s not just that, women on average face lesser sentences than men and on average are convicted less. That’s probably even higher in domestic abuse situations. That’s coupled with less men reporting it because they are scared/ashamed, or they feel nothing will get done

So anyone dating a female isn’t going to get the full benefits of these types of laws as someone that dated men "

Sentences tend to reflect the quantifiable damage caused by the offence. In general (with some but few exceptions) the most violent offences are most often committed by men. Hence the longer sentences will go to the most quantifiably damaging (ie,most violent) offences.

Leeds

"100%

DV is looked upon mostly as the male dominator, However the amount of men that suffer such soul destroying abuse feel they cannot reach out! Most end up committing suicide

Worked with many of them. "

Agreed. The gender of the perpetrators shouldn't make a difference x

"I can't get the police to investigate a burglary, what chance do I have with them keeping up to date with my love life and warning me of dangerous women I might be dating. "

I guess it's a case of appropriate use of resources? Deploy someone to investigate a crime with no witnesses, no lines of enquiry or prevent a potentially serious crime. Nothings perfect, and no doubt the 9 o clock Jury will be all over it when it fails, but its a start?

w

So anyone dating a female isn’t going to get the full benefits of these types of laws as someone that dated men

Sentences tend to reflect the quantifiable damage caused by the offence. In general (with some but few exceptions) the most violent offences are most often committed by men. Hence the longer sentences will go to the most quantifiably damaging (ie,most violent) offences."

I’m just quoting the study I found that basically came to the conclusion women are less likely to get sentenced and face lesser sentences when they do compared to men

That means that women could potentially get away with more without need to be added onto this list.

Sentences tend to reflect the quantifiable damage caused by the offence. In general (with some but few exceptions) the most violent offences are most often committed by men. Hence the longer sentences will go to the most quantifiably damaging (ie,most violent) offences.

I’m just quoting the study I found that basically came to the conclusion women are less likely to get sentenced and face lesser sentences when they do compared to men

That means that women could potentially get away with more without need to be added onto this list. "

Which study is it? I've read ones which have opposite findings.

By *ornywelsh2sumCouple  over a year ago

Neath valley.

Yes x

Leeds

That means that women could potentially get away with more without need to be added onto this list. "

I guess only time will tell if this proposal is passed x

What sort of abuse are we talking about? Financial, mental, emotional….or must they have done some physical harm?

w

That means that women could potentially get away with more without need to be added onto this list.

Which study is it? I've read ones which have opposite findings. "

Empathy gap. Uk based study too.

By *eamworkboyMan  over a year ago

Irvine

Having seen an incredible level of domestic abuse in my early years then yes, people committing that offence should be on a register where potential partners can access their records before committing to a relationship.

That applies to male and female perpetrators.

Leeds

"What sort of abuse are we talking about? Financial, mental, emotional….or must they have done some physical harm?"

Domestic abuse, or domestic violence, is defined across Government as any incident of controlling, coercive or threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are or have been intimate partners or family members, regardless of their gender or sexuality.

Up town top ranking

"100%

Agreed. The gender of the perpetrators shouldn't make a difference x"

Absolutely! Same as pedophiles. The amount of females that commit such disgusting acts, go unknown because they are " FEMALE" and its not expected of them, there are many out there that actually play part in the grooming process.

Leeds

"100%

Absolutely! Same as pedophiles. The amount of females that commit such disgusting acts, go unknown because they are " FEMALE" and its not expected of them, there are many out there that actually play part in the grooming process. "

Regardless of gender on that particular subject matter, they should all just be put up against a wall and shot....prison is far to good for scum like that x

Up town top ranking

"100%

Absolutely! Same as pedophiles. The amount of females that commit such disgusting acts, go unknown because they are " FEMALE" and its not expected of them, there are many out there that actually play part in the grooming process.

Regardless of gender on that particular subject matter, they should all just be put up against a wall and shot....prison is far to good for scum like that x"

Agreed!

Ayrshire

"100%

Absolutely! Same as pedophiles. The amount of females that commit such disgusting acts, go unknown because they are " FEMALE" and its not expected of them, there are many out there that actually play part in the grooming process. "

Are there?

Or is that just for balance?

"What sort of abuse are we talking about? Financial, mental, emotional….or must they have done some physical harm?

Domestic abuse, or domestic violence, is defined across Government as any incident of controlling, coercive or threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are or have been intimate partners or family members, regardless of their gender or sexuality."

That’s interesting. Financial control and emotional abuse in the way of ignoring the abused is rather difficult to include in the register, isn’t it? I’m wondering how it would work. Would the abuser need to ensure that the new partner receive certain financial compensation? It’s hard to see how that would work.

"100%

Are there?

Or is that just for balance?"

They said they’ve “worked with many of them.” I take that to be said from their personal experience.

For balance? Ghislaine Maxwell ring a bell? Perhaps it isn’t as uncommon as we think.

Ayrshire

"100%

Are there?

They said they’ve “worked with many of them.” I take that to be said from their personal experience.

For balance? Ghislaine Maxwell ring a bell? Perhaps it isn’t as uncommon as we think."

That's one woman...one

No i think the world has enough pigeon holes for people to be put into as it is

One good thing about people is most have the ability to learn from mistakes eventually and if they have been already as you would hope punished legally if convicted

So no i think its a daft idea the more people view you a certain way the more likely you are to act that way and rebel against the very changes you want them to make and just think whats the point in changing if you all gonna think im this way anyway

Yes. And I'd hope that includes emotional/psychological abuse too. I've seen the effects of that and the damage it can do.

"What sort of abuse are we talking about? Financial, mental, emotional….or must they have done some physical harm?

Domestic abuse, or domestic violence, is defined across Government as any incident of controlling, coercive or threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are or have been intimate partners or family members, regardless of their gender or sexuality.

That’s interesting. Financial control and emotional abuse in the way of ignoring the abused is rather difficult to include in the register, isn’t it? I’m wondering how it would work. Would the abuser need to ensure that the new partner receive certain financial compensation? It’s hard to see how that would work."

Coercive control is a crime so why couldn't it be included?

In Scotland a woman can contact the police and request details of any domestic violence conviction that might have been accrued by her partner.

Details are available online via ‘Disclosure Scheme for Domestic Abuse Scotland' should anyone need further information.

"100%

What is the amount of women who commit these crimes? Why would they go unknown or unpunished purely because of their gender?

"100%

Are there?

For balance? Ghislaine Maxwell ring a bell? Perhaps it isn’t as uncommon as we think.

That's one woman...one"

What about Myra Hindley? Karla Homolka?

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

[Removed by poster at 04/04/22 12:07:28]

"100%

Are there?

That's one woman...one"

Rosemary West, just off the top of my head but I’m sure there are others out there. I can’t say I’ve spent time on this but the premise is that we don’t LOOK at the women who play their part in these matters. What about that mum who was recently sentenced with her boyfriend for beating her 6yo to death? These are the very obvious cases. What about the ones that don’t make headlines?

evesham

It seems that the police would then inform the new partner (or would have too)."

I'm not sure I like this bit. Yes a register so that the police can monitor situations, pick up on any reported re-offending and actually investigate things but for them to warn new partners kind of flies in the face of the restorative justice that prisons work towards. They will never be more than their past. It implies they can never change. I know for a lot they can't but where I the incentive to change if the police just around shouting about their past offences.

Leeds

"No i think the world has enough pigeon holes for people to be put into as it is

One good thing about people is most have the ability to learn from mistakes eventually and if they have been already as you would hope punished legally if convicted

So no i think its a daft idea the more people view you a certain way the more likely you are to act that way and rebel against the very changes you want them to make and just think whats the point in changing if you all gonna think im this way anyway

"

I do believe SOME people can and do change but I still think it's a good plan to have in place x

"No i think the world has enough pigeon holes for people to be put into as it is

"

Of course,nearly all these comments are based on opinions, and I really don't want to be invin a gender wars debate ( anyone who's been involved in the sector, will know that predominantly it's males who are more likely to be violent and and controlling).

Behavioural change doesn't come easy to some without professional help,so I'm happy to pigeon hole someone who's been convicted in order to protect another party who doesn't realithe danger they face. Let's face it,the other party can make informed choices regarding the relationship?

If that was your son or daughter and there was information to suggest they were at risk, and noone told you, would you shrug your shoulders when they were hurt?

evesham

"100%

What is the amount of women who commit these crimes? Why would they go unknown or unpunished purely because of their gender?"

Look at the size of the women's prison estate and the men's. There is a massive difference in size. Women re more likely to get more lenient sentencing, especially if they have children. They are often committed for lesser offences for similar crimes to men. There's a lot of disparity in the justice system based around gender.

Is this like the chivalry thesis or theory?

Isn’t there evidence also that women actually get harsher sentences when committing crimes that go against ‘gendered norms’?

Leeds

This wasn't a thread about sex offenders whatever their gender!

w

"100%

What is the amount of women who commit these crimes? Why would they go unknown or unpunished purely because of their gender?"

Teacher fucked her underage student last week and got a suspended sentence. A considerably lighter sentence than if the genders were reversed

How many women aren’t even getting a suspended sentence? Or just a slap on the wrist? Who knows.

In 2019 drink driving offences were about equal in conviction raged between men and women, yet 700 men saw prison and approximately zero women did

Who would have guessed the preferential treatment in the law might lead to people getting away with stuff

w

"This wasn't a thread about sex offenders whatever their gender!"

When we are discussing laws that could benefit one gender or sexuality than another due to bias on the system, it automatically becomes a discussion on that.

I’d like to be equally protected

Empathy gap. Uk based study too. "

Yes I know that one. It's dating back to 2017 - don't know if updated now?

There is a government study published in 2020 "Women and the Criminal Justice System, 2019". And I thought this one was very interesting too. LSE Blog study with 3, 000 participants.

women-and-men-receive-different-punishments-for-their-involvement-in-the-same-crime-prostitution

Because men and women commit different kinds of crime generally and there are so few women in prison by comparison, it's very easy for stats to be skewed either way

"100%

Because they are seen more as victims of the male abusers perhaps. Look at Myra Hindley and Rosemary West’s defence? They profess to have been under the influence of the true aggressors, their respective partners. I didn’t follow Maxwell’s case but it wouldn’t surprise me if she said the same thing.

To get things back on track:

Yes

Leeds

"This wasn't a thread about sex offenders whatever their gender!

When we are discussing laws that could benefit one gender or sexuality than another due to bias on the system, it automatically becomes a discussion on that.

I’d like to be equally protected "

This thread was about "people found guilty" it wasn't just aimed at one gender.

Sexual offences are entirely different to Domestic Abuse x

w

Empathy gap. Uk based study too.

Yes I know that one. It's dating back to 2017 - don't know if updated now?

There is a government study published in 2020 "Women and the Criminal Justice System, 2019". And I thought this one was very interesting too. LSE Blog study with 3, 000 participants.

women-and-men-receive-different-punishments-for-their-involvement-in-the-same-crime-prostitution

Because men and women commit different kinds of crime generally and there are so few women in prison by comparison, it's very easy for stats to be skewed either way "

The one I read had dates in 2019 so I guess it’s updated

Leeds

If they don't disclose to police that they are in a new relationship they face up to 5 years in prison x

To get things back on track:

Yes"

Thanks x

That’s interesting. Financial control and emotional abuse in the way of ignoring the abused is rather difficult to include in the register, isn’t it? I’m wondering how it would work. Would the abuser need to ensure that the new partner receive certain financial compensation? It’s hard to see how that would work.

Coercive control is a crime so why couldn't it be included? "

I asked how would it work, not whether it ought to be included.

By *erverseintentionsMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

Is cheating lying and backstabbing classed as domestic abuse ? If so then yes. And aslong as it's applicable to both females and males . If not then no . They've enough details on people as it is .

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Is cheating lying and backstabbing classed as domestic abuse ? If so then yes. And aslong as it's applicable to both females and males . If not then no . They've enough details on people as it is ."

It could be emotional abuse, depending on the situation. I believe the OP is referring to cases where an individual has been convicted of domestic abuse of some form.

"This wasn't a thread about sex offenders whatever their gender!

I’d like to be equally protected "

Whilst there’s merit in the equality arguments, lets get the protection in place and then work on refining the equality and fairness balance. There’s an obvious need for such a register as there are headlines every week of victims of repeat offenders. If those loves can be saved the the system would work. It does not need to be perfect before we implement it.

By *erverseintentionsMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

Is cheating lying and backstabbing classed as domestic abuse ? If so then yes. And aslong as it's applicable to both females and males . If not then no . They've enough details on people as it is .

It could be emotional abuse, depending on the situation. I believe the OP is referring to cases where an individual has been convicted of domestic abuse of some form. "

Subjective . Iv seen people convicted of domestic abuse charges for pushing a female who was attacking him , when it comes to domestic abuse the CPS is quick to defend the female but never take the context in to consideration before charging the suspect... Is a female who cheats regularly, lies , steals money , drinks excessively and then gets aggressive to be allowed to remain with total anonymity..whilst the male has to sign a register ..for a push .( He also got banned from seeing his kids btw) I witnessed the entire thing .

The justice system in this country is a joke beyond belief . There's feminists screaming for equality .. but they never have answers to justify female actions. Only men's .

evesham

"100%

What is the amount of women who commit these crimes? Why would they go unknown or unpunished purely because of their gender?

Because they are seen more as victims of the male abusers perhaps. Look at Myra Hindley and Rosemary West’s defence? They profess to have been under the influence of the true aggressors, their respective partners. I didn’t follow Maxwell’s case but it wouldn’t surprise me if she said the same thing."

Because they claim to be....not necessarily are/were.

By *ustBoWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

"100%

Because they are seen more as victims of the male abusers perhaps. Look at Myra Hindley and Rosemary West’s defence? They profess to have been under the influence of the true aggressors, their respective partners. I didn’t follow Maxwell’s case but it wouldn’t surprise me if she said the same thing.

Because they claim to be....not necessarily are/were. "

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"100%

Because they are seen more as victims of the male abusers perhaps. Look at Myra Hindley and Rosemary West’s defence? They profess to have been under the influence of the true aggressors, their respective partners. I didn’t follow Maxwell’s case but it wouldn’t surprise me if she said the same thing."

Yet, West, Hindley and Maxwell have all been found guilty and given significant sentences. This is contrary to the suggestion that female offenders are not punished adequately (voiced by some commentators on here).

Of course,nearly all these comments are based on opinions, and I really don't want to be invin a gender wars debate ( anyone who's been involved in the sector, will know that predominantly it's males who are more likely to be violent and and controlling).

Behavioural change doesn't come easy to some without professional help,so I'm happy to pigeon hole someone who's been convicted in order to protect another party who doesn't realithe danger they face. Let's face it,the other party can make informed choices regarding the relationship?

If that was your son or daughter and there was information to suggest they were at risk, and noone told you, would you shrug your shoulders when they were hurt? "

then have that help as part of the conviction not just lip service paid box ticking give them the choice make an effort to change and prove it or face a harsher punishment

As for my kids life if dangerous my kids know this and are prepared for this and will do what they choose to do regardless of how much info they have and will make there own mistakes on the back of it

If im needed il be there but i cant live there life for them

A badge saying this boy/girl beat his girlfiriend/boyfriend 7 years ago is unlikely to make change what they want and i expect some like the asbo tag will see it as a badge of honour

evesham

"100%

Yet, West, Hindley and Maxwell have all been found guilty and given significant sentences. This is contrary to the suggestion that female offenders are not punished adequately (voiced by some commentators on here). "

Exceptions do not prove the rule. It's a fact the justice system is more lenient. There have been several child murder cases recently where sentencing gas been reviewed because the sentence given to the women were woefully light.

Leeds

Is cheating lying and backstabbing classed as domestic abuse ? If so then yes. And aslong as it's applicable to both females and males . If not then no . They've enough details on people as it is ."

This thread wasn't just targeted about males!

This thread wasn't just targeted about males!"

I fear this will fall on deaf ears Sparks

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

It could be emotional abuse, depending on the situation. I believe the OP is referring to cases where an individual has been convicted of domestic abuse of some form.

Subjective . Iv seen people convicted of domestic abuse charges for pushing a female who was attacking him , when it comes to domestic abuse the CPS is quick to defend the female but never take the context in to consideration before charging the suspect... Is a female who cheats regularly, lies , steals money , drinks excessively and then gets aggressive to be allowed to remain with total anonymity..whilst the male has to sign a register ..for a push .( He also got banned from seeing his kids btw) I witnessed the entire thing .

The justice system in this country is a joke beyond belief . There's feminists screaming for equality .. but they never have answers to justify female actions. Only men's . "

Rightly women want equality.

evesham

I fear this will fall on deaf ears Sparks "

Unfortunately once a tangent has been taken it's hard to control it lol

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

Unfortunately once a tangent has been taken it's hard to control it lol "

Yes, with a couple of men who don't want things to change.

By *r laidbackMan  over a year ago

London & New Brighton

Can i be devil's advocate, in the whole this would sound like a good idea however we would be deluded if we thought the police and courts would not take advantage of new laws like this, corruption in its highest definition are in the court rooms, how many people have been sent to prison on misinformation given to them by a so called victim ??? Please remember im just looking at it from a next point of view, nobody deserves abuse of any kind but we live in a world where people can be nasty and whos to say that people might find themselves in trouble because of a partner

Leeds

I fear this will fall on deaf ears Sparks "

As per the fab forums! Didn't realise it was so hard to answer a simple yes or no question

If that was your son or daughter and there was information to suggest they were at risk, and noone told you, would you shrug your shoulders when they were hurt? then have that help as part of the conviction not just lip service paid box ticking give them the choice make an effort to change and prove it or face a harsher punishment

As for my kids life if dangerous my kids know this and are prepared for this and will do what they choose to do regardless of how much info they have and will make there own mistakes on the back of it

A badge saying this boy/girl beat his girlfiriend/boyfriend 7 years ago is unlikely to make change what they want and i expect some like the asbo tag will see it as a badge of honour "

I'm trying to see your perspective honestly, but I feel like people are trying to look for hurdles rather than the positives.

Anything that protects innocent people gets a yes from me.

"

The justice system in this country is a joke beyond belief . There's feminists screaming for equality .. but they never have answers to justify female actions. Only men's . "

On your extensive professional experience of the subject no doubt?

By *melia DominaTV/TS  over a year ago

Edinburgh (She/Her)

Unfortunately the world is riddled with toxic masculinity.

So absolutely. Yes.

Abuse against any woman in any form in any situation should be dealt with at the highest level.

It is sad that all of the male gender has to be tarnished by that brush, but if they can't tell their male friends, colleagues or others that it's wrong. The law has to step in.

Good Idea

Leeds

"Unfortunately the world is riddled with toxic masculinity.

So absolutely. Yes.

Abuse against any woman in any form in any situation should be dealt with at the highest level.

It is sad that all of the male gender has to be tarnished by that brush, but if they can't tell their male friends, colleagues or others that it's wrong. The law has to step in. "

I do have to say just the same as abuse against any man. Both are abhorrent x

"Unfortunately the world is riddled with toxic masculinity.

So absolutely. Yes.

It is sad that all of the male gender has to be tarnished by that brush, but if they can't tell their male friends, colleagues or others that it's wrong. The law has to step in. "

Abuse against any person in any form in any situation should be dealt with at the highest level.

I think that's the thrust the OP is putting out there.

w

As per the fab forums! Didn't realise it was so hard to answer a simple yes or no question "

It’s an easy yes or no question if the system in place to implement it isn’t biased. But it is, so it becomes more difficult

Overall it’s a yes, because as another poster said so well, anything that protects someone is good.

But I can also see lots of room for problem with it in the current system so it remains a maybe

Up town top ranking

Having survived near death at the hands of DV it wasn't just myself that was victim it was my children too, and still years later they are suffering.

Also DV doesn't discriminate it happens to Males, females, children, family members, in the work place and so much more.

Worked with all of the above.

Leeds

As per the fab forums! Didn't realise it was so hard to answer a simple yes or no question

It’s an easy yes or no question if the system in place to implement it isn’t biased. But it is, so it becomes more difficult

Overall it’s a yes, because as another poster said so well, anything that protects someone is good.

But I can also see lots of room for problem with it in the current system so it remains a maybe"

Well at least you answered in a roundabout way x

evesham

Yes, with a couple of men who don't want things to change."

I don't think that's what they've said at all.

Yes, with a couple of men who don't want things to change."

makes no difference to me what the sex of a person is making all future good deeds irrelevant because of a possible in some cases mad moment is insanity to me what next a list for people who once had bar fight a list for people who were once gamblers and are likely to spend all the family money on a bet a list for people who had drugs it never ends

Leeds

Yes, with a couple of men who don't want things to change.makes no difference to me what the sex of a person is making all future good deeds irrelevant because of a possible in some cases mad moment is insanity to me what next a list for people who once had bar fight a list for people who were once gamblers and are likely to spend all the family money on a bet a list for people who had drugs it never ends "

I think there is a major difference between all those things and abuse/violence.

If that was your son or daughter and there was information to suggest they were at risk, and noone told you, would you shrug your shoulders when they were hurt? then have that help as part of the conviction not just lip service paid box ticking give them the choice make an effort to change and prove it or face a harsher punishment

A badge saying this boy/girl beat his girlfiriend/boyfriend 7 years ago is unlikely to make change what they want and i expect some like the asbo tag will see it as a badge of honour

I'm trying to see your perspective honestly, but I feel like people are trying to look for hurdles rather than the positives.

Anything that protects innocent people gets a yes from me."

i simply dont think it would protect anyone only antagonise the abusers further into saying why should i change if this is how the world view me and become an even bigger problem than before because now they have nothing to lose by doing what they do

Yes, with a couple of men who don't want things to change.makes no difference to me what the sex of a person is making all future good deeds irrelevant because of a possible in some cases mad moment is insanity to me what next a list for people who once had bar fight a list for people who were once gamblers and are likely to spend all the family money on a bet a list for people who had drugs it never ends "

It may disappoint you to hear that there is a system in place to monitor a number of dangerous and repeat offenders. The aim is to hopefully deter and divert future offending.

Yes, with a couple of men who don't want things to change.makes no difference to me what the sex of a person is making all future good deeds irrelevant because of a possible in some cases mad moment is insanity to me what next a list for people who once had bar fight a list for people who were once gamblers and are likely to spend all the family money on a bet a list for people who had drugs it never ends

I think there is a major difference between all those things and abuse/violence."

there is now absolutly but eventually the grey areas are always pushed to be made black and white the details and the difference get lost

w

Also it begs the question, why not more?

I hit my partner. I’m on a list for life and anyone that asks will know about it

I attack 5 strangers and wear their skin like a mask. I’m on a list but it’s completely private.

Seems odd

Yes, with a couple of men who don't want things to change.makes no difference to me what the sex of a person is making all future good deeds irrelevant because of a possible in some cases mad moment is insanity to me what next a list for people who once had bar fight a list for people who were once gamblers and are likely to spend all the family money on a bet a list for people who had drugs it never ends

I think there is a major difference between all those things and abuse/violence.there is now absolutly but eventually the grey areas are always pushed to be made black and white the details and the difference get lost "

If the qualifying criterion was anyone convicted in court of an offence that has domestic abuse as an aggravating factor, then there is no grey area. I might just work.

No.

Women that can’t usually tell the difference between their, there and they’re but can perfectly describe a narcissist and spell it on their Facebook status would be ringing the cops every 5 minutes.

"Also it begs the question, why not more?

I hit my partner. I’m on a list for life and anyone that asks will know about it

I attack 5 strangers and wear their skin like a mask. I’m on a list but it’s completely private.

Seems odd "

You'd probably be on a life licence (if you ever got out of prison).

There's a list of people on licence

After living with someone who gaslit two of his girlfriend's, and did a very convenient form of physical abuse that he could worm his way out of, absolutely.

By *ig1gaz1Man  over a year ago

bradford

Whilst domestic abuse does exist, A register can make innocents guilty.

If the system was fair to both partys male and female, Sadly it isnt.

Ive seen where the female infront of cctv cameras has assaulted the male where the police have arrested the male allowing the female to walk away free.

Whilst many females are crying wolf and using it to stop the men seeing there children, I find it unfair.

Bonadage/ spanking might be consent based all it takes is that lady to report it to there friends as they are wanting out of the relationship.

Caroline Flack was found dead at her London apartment weeks before she was due to stand trial for allegedly assaulting her boyfriend.

Boyfriend was arrested for domestic violence as he was full of her blood case comes to mind.

Leeds

"No.

Women that can’t usually tell the difference between their, there and they’re but can perfectly describe a narcissist and spell it on their Facebook status would be ringing the cops every 5 minutes. "

That's uncalled for....spelling has nothing to do with it!

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

it's positive idea in principal. in practice is it workable? following the letter of the law as regards domestic abuse is sketchy at best, mostly due to pre-conceived ideas in wider society. the furore surrounding the caroline flack case and the eventual outcome springs to mind. it would take a great deal of time to get thing right before any of this is implemented i believe.

It may disappoint you to hear that there is a system in place to monitor a number of dangerous and repeat offenders. The aim is to hopefully deter and divert future offending. "

thats fine im not disappointed at all theres a difference tho in the detail there isnt they dangerous and repeat offenders clearly designed for the ones unable to learn and the very people who need the most help to change a list saying your a baddy isnt likely to worry them or protect others without action

I think there is a major difference between all those things and abuse/violence.there is now absolutly but eventually the grey areas are always pushed to be made black and white the details and the difference get lost

If the qualifying criterion was anyone convicted in court of an offence that has domestic abuse as an aggravating factor, then there is no grey area. I might just work."

yes and when someone decides addicts and other lesser crimes are out of control those too will need a list and the lines get pushed a little further

Leeds

Any who.....thanks to all who managed to answer the opening post. Great to see how people react with different views and opinions, all of which are appreciated x

By *ustBoWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

In theory yes I agree it would be a good idea. In reality I don't know how well it would work. As someone who has dealt with domestic abuse both as a child and as an adult it's a grey area. I'm not going to go into details but neither perpetrator would be on that list. One was known for it but never charged the other no one would believe it was true.

Plus the new partner would probably not believe it to be true and end up even more alienated from family and friends. A lot of abusers are very clever at twisting things and that's for both genders.

So yes in theory I think it's a great idea but I don't think it would work as well as people would hope in real life. But I suppose if it just helped a few even then yes it would be a good idea.

Where I live the police will visit new partners of very violent offenders, they aren't allowed to say "he did this and he did that" but they will visit and tell the woman that they strongly suggest that they look him up. I'm not sure where they draw the line as to how violent he has to be before they would do that though

"100%

Because they claim to be....not necessarily are/were. "

That’s my point.

I was in an abusive relationship for over 3 years and one night she came home d*unk and after attacking me she phoned the police and I was arrested straight away even after police had seen the scratches on my face.

Few months down the line i'd had enough and decided to phone the police myself, and I was told that it's a civil matter and they can't intervene.

"In theory yes I agree it would be a good idea. In reality I don't know how well it would work. As someone who has dealt with domestic abuse both as a child and as an adult it's a grey area. I'm not going to go into details but neither perpetrator would be on that list. One was known for it but never charged the other no one would believe it was true.

Plus the new partner would probably not believe it to be true and end up even more alienated from family and friends. A lot of abusers are very clever at twisting things and that's for both genders.

So yes in theory I think it's a great idea but I don't think it would work as well as people would hope in real life. But I suppose if it just helped a few even then yes it would be a good idea.

"

By * and R cple4Couple  over a year ago

swansea

"No.

Women that can’t usually tell the difference between their, there and they’re but can perfectly describe a narcissist and spell it on their Facebook status would be ringing the cops every 5 minutes.

That's uncalled for....spelling has nothing to do with it!"

It’s been phrased in a way that I wouldn’t have but I can sort of understand what the poster means.

These words gas lighting and narcissist get thrown around so much by a lot of people that don’t even know the true meaning of the word..I would hate to think their were innocent men on this kind of register due to a spiteful vengeful ex ..

It would have to result in a domestic violence conviction first, which is incredibly hard to achieve.

By *ig1gaz1Man  over a year ago

bradford

"I was in an abusive relationship for over 3 years and one night she came home d*unk and after attacking me she phoned the police and I was arrested straight away even after police had seen the scratches on my face.

Few months down the line i'd had enough and decided to phone the police myself, and I was told that it's a civil matter and they can't intervene."

Oh ive been there it took 2 years to prove that she was the domestic violence one.

6 lots of criminal damage all on cctv

Setting fire to the neighbours house near her not me and countless others.

She definatly used the crying wolf on all her 6 partners.

As ive got all of the evidence.

By *agicM53XMan  over a year ago

Orpington

Are we talking about both men and women found guilty? Because the legislation is not the same when it comes to men suffering from domestic abuse...

"Are we talking about both men and women found guilty? Because the legislation is not the same when it comes to men suffering from domestic abuse..."

The legislation is different? How?

"Are we talking about both men and women found guilty? Because the legislation is not the same when it comes to men suffering from domestic abuse..."

Er.... not true.

The only gender specific law on this topic is the R word, which requires a penis to commit.

"Are we talking about both men and women found guilty? Because the legislation is not the same when it comes to men suffering from domestic abuse...

The legislation is different? How? "

It isn't

By *imi_RougeWoman  over a year ago

Portsmouth

Might have to build some new prisons first!

Yes, but also worries me for those who were wrongly convicted, because they are many sadly. But in principle I agree as people need this protection

I wish more people were aware of this, men are abused just as much. X

"Are we talking about both men and women found guilty? Because the legislation is not the same when it comes to men suffering from domestic abuse...

I wish more people were aware of this, men are abused just as much. X"

I am sure we all agree.

But the legislation is the same, it's application may leave something to be desired, but the legislation is about people not gender.

"100%

Regardless of gender on that particular subject matter, they should all just be put up against a wall and shot....prison is far to good for scum like that x"

This makes a lot of sense, let's encourage the abusers to get away with it potentially for years before they get caught and what's the punishment going to be ? .0001 of a second as the bullet travels through the air. Not what I'd call a deterant for those sad enough to commit such crimes in the first place. In fact they'd welcome the punishment.

By *agicM53XMan  over a year ago

Orpington

The legislation is different? How? "

The legislation is not inforced in the same manner when it comes to men suffering from domestic abuse. It is less likely for the woman to be persecuted or found guilty. In the unlikely event that she is found guilty, the sentence would be much less than for a man found guilty of the same act.

I am sure we all agree.

But the legislation is the same, it's application may leave something to be desired, but the legislation is about people not gender."

I know it's covered numerous times in the thread, and I agree the Legislation makes no differentiation between sexes, but I really believe that people's perception that men aren't treated as victims, is largely down to biased reporting and some complex reasons.

Many men don't readily feel that they could report such matters, but in juxtaposition neither do women.

Domestic violence is a very real and common threat. Personally I feel there's more female victims,but the whole point of thread is highlighting a process to warn potential victims of a relationship they're in. Plenty of anecdotal evidence suggests that in established relationships where abuse is prevalent, the victim is often too scared or controlled to consider leaving. Early intervention may prevent that cycle of abuse.

By *heRazorsEdgeMan  over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

Completely agree

I am sure we all agree.

But the legislation is the same, it's application may leave something to be desired, but the legislation is about people not gender.

I know it's covered numerous times in the thread, and I agree the Legislation makes no differentiation between sexes, but I really believe that people's perception that men aren't treated as victims, is largely down to biased reporting and some complex reasons.

Many men don't readily feel that they could report such matters, but in juxtaposition neither do women.

Domestic violence is a very real and common threat. Personally I feel there's more female victims,but the whole point of thread is highlighting a process to warn potential victims of a relationship they're in. Plenty of anecdotal evidence suggests that in established relationships where abuse is prevalent, the victim is often too scared or controlled to consider leaving. Early intervention may prevent that cycle of abuse."

Agreed

Leeds

I am sure we all agree.

Domestic violence is a very real and common threat. Personally I feel there's more female victims,but the whole point of thread is highlighting a process to warn potential victims of a relationship they're in. Plenty of anecdotal evidence suggests that in established relationships where abuse is prevalent, the victim is often too scared or controlled to consider leaving. Early intervention may prevent that cycle of abuse."

Exactly. We all know that men are victims of DV/DA as well as women. It doesn't matter what the ratio is....there is no excuse or reason for any human to suffer at the hands of another x

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

We already have Claire’s Law so do not see the need for anything additional.

Are we going to turn into a society where we are saying people can never learn from their past, make changes and unable to live a life going forwards without their past slapping them in the face at every turn.

"We already have Claire’s Law so do not see the need for anything additional.

Are we going to turn into a society where we are saying people can never learn from their past, make changes and unable to live a life going forwards without their past slapping them in the face at every turn. "

this is exactly what i was trying to get at

Leeds

"We already have Claire’s Law so do not see the need for anything additional.

Are we going to turn into a society where we are saying people can never learn from their past, make changes and unable to live a life going forwards without their past slapping them in the face at every turn. "

I know this isnt about sexual predators but in that respect...do you say that the likes of sex offenders shouldn't stay on the register after a period of time??