FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Interesting debatable conversations

Interesting debatable conversations

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ames-77 OP   Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

Who enjoys an interesting discussion debate about the past and the origin of man kind.. man made religions unexplainable Artefacts

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Palaeontology? Ummmm.

I think most abandoned dwellings resulted from lack of water. Maybe the land mass rose and the water went elsewhere.

By *ill1966Man  over a year ago

swindon

Adam and Eve? Darwin?

Ross was a dork.

By *ill1966Man  over a year ago

swindon

"Ross was a dork. "
yep but he liked his bones

By *ames-77 OP   Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

"Ross was a dork. "

My SAAAAANDWICH

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan  over a year ago

Aylesbury

"Adam and Eve? Darwin?"

I think you will find it was Adam and Steve

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

Me. This is how I spend long car journeys with my dad and late nights with my partners.

Darwin was a Freemason the truth is hidden x

By *erverseintentionsMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

Pyramid

Pyr = fire

Amid = in the middle

The word itself describes the function, the pyramids where the earliest known power generators. Discuss ....

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"Who enjoys an interesting discussion debate about the past and the origin of man kind.. man made religions unexplainable Artefacts "
I read a good book called Fingerprints of the Gods which was about ancient civilisations before romans or Egyptians.

By *erverseintentionsMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

"Who enjoys an interesting discussion debate about the past and the origin of man kind.. man made religions unexplainable Artefacts I read a good book called Fingerprints of the Gods which was about ancient civilisations before romans or Egyptians. "

Hancock half-truths

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

When does the interesting bit start.....or is that whatmakes this thread debatable

Sorry, couldn't resist!

I am very unqualified but do enjoy learning about things.

By *irthandgirthMan  over a year ago

Camberley occasionally doncaster

"Who enjoys an interesting discussion debate about the past and the origin of man kind.. man made religions unexplainable Artefacts I read a good book called Fingerprints of the Gods which was about ancient civilisations before romans or Egyptians.

Hancock half-truths "

He even admitted he made up a lot of it due to pressure from publishers iirc.

The worlds a stage

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

The line between interesting conversation and shit show pile on is getting ever narrower. (Not a comment about Fab. A comment about the internet)

Debate is a bad idea.

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

"Pyramid

Pyr = fire

Amid = in the middle

The word itself describes the function, the pyramids where the earliest known power generators. Discuss ...."

It comes from the greek word pyramis meaning 'wheat cake' because they reminded them of pointy topped wheat cakes.

In Egyptian the pyramids are 'Mr' or 'Mer'

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan  over a year ago

Aylesbury

"Pyramid

Pyr = fire

Amid = in the middle

The word itself describes the function, the pyramids where the earliest known power generators. Discuss ....

It comes from the greek word pyramis meaning 'wheat cake' because they reminded them of pointy topped wheat cakes.

In Egyptian the pyramids are 'Mr' or 'Mer' "

I learnted a new thing, thanks!

"Debate is a bad idea. "

Mass debate on the other hand....

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

"Pyramid

Pyr = fire

Amid = in the middle

In Egyptian the pyramids are 'Mr' or 'Mer' "

Now that is interesting!

Are we on point or have we drifted off topic? Hard to tall

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

"Pyramid

Pyr = fire

Amid = in the middle

In Egyptian the pyramids are 'Mr' or 'Mer'

I learnted a new thing, thanks! "

And Obelisk is called as such because it means skewer in Greek.

Manchester (she/her)

"Pyramid

Pyr = fire

Amid = in the middle

The word itself describes the function, the pyramids where the earliest known power generators. Discuss ...."

According to the site etymology online, the word "amid" has its origins in 14th century English. Not exactly renowned for its expertise in Egyptology (until the Rosetta stone was discovered, the best accessible written evidence was Herodotus, which is... terrible evidence).

Looking at the etymology of the word "pyramid" on the same site, it's unclear to me whether the origin of "pyr" derives from "pur" in Greek, "pir" in Latin or English/Germanic predecessors, or something else. Even assuming it's just "pur", we'd need to figure out what word in Greek it'd refer to, which isn't straightforward.

Further, etymology is often a poor guide to historical meaning, particularly when combined with modern meaning. See for example, martyr (ancient Greek, witness) or sycophant (literal meaning possibly something like revealer of figs, possibly to do with legal reforms in late archaic Athens by the semi mythical lawmaker Solon. In classical Athens, the word means vexatious litigant. Which is not what it means today)

"Pyramid

Pyr = fire

Amid = in the middle

According to the site etymology online, the word "amid" has its origins in 14th century English. Not exactly renowned for its expertise in Egyptology (until the Rosetta stone was discovered, the best accessible written evidence was Herodotus, which is... terrible evidence).

Looking at the etymology of the word "pyramid" on the same site, it's unclear to me whether the origin of "pyr" derives from "pur" in Greek, "pir" in Latin or English/Germanic predecessors, or something else. Even assuming it's just "pur", we'd need to figure out what word in Greek it'd refer to, which isn't straightforward.

Further, etymology is often a poor guide to historical meaning, particularly when combined with modern meaning. See for example, martyr (ancient Greek, witness) or sycophant (literal meaning possibly something like revealer of figs, possibly to do with legal reforms in late archaic Athens by the semi mythical lawmaker Solon. In classical Athens, the word means vexatious litigant. Which is not what it means today)"

Swing knows her shit

Manchester (she/her)

"Pyramid

Pyr = fire

Amid = in the middle

Further, etymology is often a poor guide to historical meaning, particularly when combined with modern meaning. See for example, martyr (ancient Greek, witness) or sycophant (literal meaning possibly something like revealer of figs, possibly to do with legal reforms in late archaic Athens by the semi mythical lawmaker Solon. In classical Athens, the word means vexatious litigant. Which is not what it means today)

Swing knows her shit "

I have a very funny story about how etymology fucked up historians with a crazy idea for ages - and archaeology saved the day

» Add a new message to this topic