FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Disability sport on the Beeb

Disability sport on the Beeb

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *inky_couple2020 OP   Couple  over a year ago

North West

There's been a lot of chitchat on here recently about sports and categories and whatnot. I've been quite vocal about disability sports, being something I'm involved with.

Anyway, if folks would like to take a look at the inaugural season of the British Wheelchair Basketball (BWB) Women's Premier League, then iPlayer is streaming the matches.

Have a gander here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/disability-sport/60051741

Although the match has now finished, it can be watched back. If anyone has any questions, for example, about the "points" classification system or any of the rules, stick 'em on the post here and I'll do my best to answer.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Do they get points in basketball? I always thought it was 1 point for every ball in the net.

North West

"Do they get points in basketball? I always thought it was 1 point for every ball in the net. "

So, you score two points for baskets scored within the key, three for outside shots. One for free throws.

However, each player also has a points classification, based on their level of impairment compared to able bodied people. That system is specific to wheelchair basketball (happy to explain more if interested?)

By *erverseintentionsMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

I remember watching David Weir in his wheelchair racing days .. not nearly enough disabled sports on TV .

North West

"I remember watching David Weir in his wheelchair racing days .. not nearly enough disabled sports on TV . "

It would be lovely to see more para sports on the tellybox, yes. iPlayer does show some things. Athletics meets are becoming increasingly mixed, with disability sport and AB sport in the same meet.

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

I used to watch all the time live at Stoke Mandeville. My dad got me interested after he was a volunteer coordinator for the '84 paralympics.

Great to watch.

A

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I remember watching David Weir in his wheelchair racing days .. not nearly enough disabled sports on TV .

It would be lovely to see more para sports on the tellybox, yes. iPlayer does show some things. Athletics meets are becoming increasingly mixed, with disability sport and AB sport in the same meet. "

They should show both on 'normal' tv. Bit shit hiding it away on iPlayer.

North West

"I remember watching David Weir in his wheelchair racing days .. not nearly enough disabled sports on TV .

It would be lovely to see more para sports on the tellybox, yes. iPlayer does show some things. Athletics meets are becoming increasingly mixed, with disability sport and AB sport in the same meet.

They should show both on 'normal' tv. Bit shit hiding it away on iPlayer. "

That would be even better, yes. However, a lot of sport is now shoved on iPlayer. The red button used to have different options for sports but that now seems to have migrated to iPlayer.

» Add a new message to this topic