FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Celebrities who are queer

Celebrities who are queer

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

So I was discussing to a friend regarding a few stars like Harry Styles and Emma Corrin who say they are queer

I was thinking about it but I literally don’t know what that means

Does anyone?

My friend just pointed out that queer is a homophobic slur, so why are some celebrities are saying they’re queer now, is it because they are trying to make themselves appear more interesting and edgy ?

I think that’s different from non binary, am I correct?

Apart from stars, I never heard anyone say they are queer (I did hear one actress who won the Oscars say she’s queer tho)

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Think it was and some still use it as an insult but think others are trying to reclaim it as standing for someone who sits somewhere on the lgbt+ spectrum

By *eads_or_tailsMan  over a year ago

London

Queer was a homophobic slur for years. Recently, some people have “reclaimed” the word as their own, to proudly own their non-heterosexual identities.

I’ve not get deep enough into queer community to say more with proper understanding.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I think I heard someone on naked attraction say they were queer. They had a selection of genders to select from.

I honestly don't know if I've phrased the above correctly

"Queer was a homophobic slur for years. Recently, some people have “reclaimed” the word as their own, to proudly own their non-heterosexual identities.

I’ve not get deep enough into queer community to say more with proper understanding. "

many gay people who grew up in the 70’s and 80’s will only view ‘queer’ as offensive and a homophobic slur, when ‘queer bashing’ was prevalent, I think it’s disrespectful to these people

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

Queer as Folk appeared on Channel 4 in 199. Queer Eye For a Straight Guy was first broadcast in 2003. The word 'Queer' hasn't just been an insult for years....

A

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

"Queer was a homophobic slur for years. Recently, some people have “reclaimed” the word as their own, to proudly own their non-heterosexual identities.

I’ve not get deep enough into queer community to say more with proper understanding.

many gay people who grew up in the 70’s and 80’s will only view ‘queer’ as offensive and a homophobic slur, when ‘queer bashing’ was prevalent, I think it’s disrespectful to these people"

What’s the Q stand for in LGTBQ?

many gay people who grew up in the 70’s and 80’s will only view ‘queer’ as offensive and a homophobic slur, when ‘queer bashing’ was prevalent, I think it’s disrespectful to these people

What’s the Q stand for in LGTBQ?"

Obviously now it’s accepted but it was used as an offence word x

It usually means gender queer rather sexuality. Not as in transgender where there is a need to align to a corrected gender so much as combining elements of both, whether in presentation or in characteristics. Bowie would’ve been called queer in his ziggy days. Jeffree Star, billy porter etc. I would define myself as queer. Most gender queer people identify with the birth gender, just reject the societal norms of that gender.

Oddly it’s not used about sexuality anymore. Not in the gay community anyway.

Life is just a minefield of words waiting to blow your legs off

What’s the Q stand for in LGTBQ?"

Questioning.

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

To answer your question

Coming out as queer is a way for celebs to get in on that juicy LGBTQ viewership without making any real statement

To come out as gay, or even bi, that’s a big statement

To come out as queer is kind of nothing because the word itself means nothing too specific

In short, it’s a smart PR move by celebs trying to get as popular as possible

"To answer your question

Coming out as queer is a way for celebs to get in on that juicy LGBTQ viewership without making any real statement

To come out as queer is kind of nothing because the word itself means nothing too specific

In short, it’s a smart PR move by celebs trying to get as popular as possible"

Gay today stuff isn’t really queer. Though they like to use that label.

By *ansexualPandaMan  over a year ago

Near You

I tend to use "queer" rather than bisexual or pansexual. It is partly to reclaim the term, like others have suggested but also because bisexual or pansexual don't completely fit how I feel about my sexuality.

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Nowt so queer as folk

many gay people who grew up in the 70’s and 80’s will only view ‘queer’ as offensive and a homophobic slur, when ‘queer bashing’ was prevalent, I think it’s disrespectful to these people"

I've seen quite a few older gay men comment on how the last time they heard the word it was before they were attacked for being gay. It does seem strange to see it reclaimed, and by some who aren't gay or bi.

By *ickeyandmouseCouple  over a year ago

nr Alicante

I’ve not get deep enough into queer community to say more with proper understanding. "

Just this

Different perspectives around the word queer - and yet not an argument in sight. Refreshing.

I’ve not heard the word in a derogatory sense in years. I’ve been called all sorts. Queer never felt like that (to me).

I just don’t use the word. I’ve become so worried about unintentionally causing offence, that I dare not speak to, or even so much as half look at people these days.

By *oobyHotwifeWoman  over a year ago

Thurrock

I think people may have tried to use the word queer as a slur back in the 80d and 90s but I think the word has been reclaimed and embraced as doesn't the Q in LGBTQ stand for queer

As far as I'm concerned queer is just strange. And faggot is a minced pork ball

"I think people may have tried to use the word queer as a slur back in the 80d and 90s but I think the word has been reclaimed and embraced as doesn't the Q in LGBTQ stand for queer "

I saw an article yesterday and it said LGBTIQ+ now stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Intersex, Queer..I can’t keep up myself

"I think people may have tried to use the word queer as a slur back in the 80d and 90s but I think the word has been reclaimed and embraced as doesn't the Q in LGBTQ stand for queer "

The Q is for questioning though for some it’s queer. Most I’ve asked said questioning, but sone say queer. Maybe it just means que? Lol

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

"I think people may have tried to use the word queer as a slur back in the 80d and 90s but I think the word has been reclaimed and embraced as doesn't the Q in LGBTQ stand for queer

The Q is for questioning though for some it’s queer. Most I’ve asked said questioning, but sone say queer. Maybe it just means que? Lol "

This is part of the problem, the ever changing vocabulary and meaning can cause confusion and catch people off guard. Making the issue even more tense.

Some people just have not been informed of the correct terminology yet. Lots are playing catch up and likely before lots have finally caught up something else will change.

By *aliceWoman  over a year ago

Birmingham

It's either queer or questioning, and queer is a blanket term for non-hetero or non-cis.

[Removed by poster at 01/04/22 14:09:11]

Iv just looked it up.

The Concise New Partridge Dictionary of Slang says the adjective “queer” began to mean “homosexual” about 1914, mostly in the United States, and notes it was “derogatory from the outside, not from within,” a hint that it was being embraced as a self-description even then.

So it seems to me it's been used as a way for gay people to describe themselves for a long time however was taken over by people wanting to use it as an insult and now it's been reclaimed.

By *affeine DuskMan  over a year ago

Caerphilly

This is tricky, really. It was a slur, when I was a kid. Heard it a lot.

In a different generation, it's been taken away from people who would use it as a weapon and turned into a positive.

I respect that enough to put aside my old feelings on the word, like many other words, and use it in the positive.

(This is just me, though. An opinion, not a standard. I know other people who can only associate the word with negative actions.)

"It's either queer or questioning, and queer is a blanket term for non-hetero or non-cis."

I've looked into it and it seems to mean different things to different people. In the States for example it's a word often used by gay people to describe themselves. Ariana DeBose Described her self as queer in her acceptance speech at the oscars. In interviews she has described herself as both a lesbian and queer so I think it depends on how each individual chooses to use the term.

By *aliceWoman  over a year ago

Birmingham

"It's either queer or questioning, and queer is a blanket term for non-hetero or non-cis.

I've looked into it and it seems to mean different things to different people. In the States for example it's a word often used by gay people to describe themselves. Ariana DeBose Described her self as queer in her acceptance speech at the oscars. In interviews she has described herself as both a lesbian and queer so I think it depends on how each individual chooses to use the term. "

Yes, that's why I said it's a blanket term.

"To answer your question

In short, it’s a smart PR move by celebs trying to get as popular as possible"

This.

They don't need to change or alter anything in their life and if you dare to ask "wtf you on about mate?" you're just a hateful bigot.

By *eads_or_tailsMan  over a year ago

London

"I think it’s disrespectful to these people"

It’s contextual, right? Those people will probably always find it hurtful, having endured years of bad intent labelled with that word. But it’s just a word: it has only the power you give it. And some younger folks have decided to reclaim it, which they’re entitled to. I know a few people who use the word respectfully to describe themselves.

By *jorkishMan  over a year ago

Seaforth

Had that for years amongst other homophobic smears. I hate all these terms and can't understand those that call themselves queer. I find it offensive

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

ORIGINS OF ‘QUEER’ AS A SLUR

John Douglas, the 9th Marquess of Queensberry gave us the first recorded written example of queer as a slur back in 1894. Douglas had discovered his son was embroiled in a gay relationship with Oscar Wilde; he became concerned at the potential of a gay sex scandal and immediately set out to prosecute Wilde in any way possible. He achieved his mission, launching a lengthy court case which argued the iconic playwright was a sodomy-obsessed old man that lured gay prostitutes into a lifestyle of degeneracy. It was throughout this court case that the original letter surfaced – Douglas had used ‘Snob Queers’ as a descriptor for gay men, establishing ‘queer’’s reputation as a gay slur.

Unless someone had been living under a rock or is inclined to look for offence it’s not a big thing. I can tell when someone is being deliberately offensive and when they are just getting stuff mixed up. The latter is quite endearing that they care enough to try.

By *ansexualPandaMan  over a year ago

Near You

Had that for years amongst other homophobic smears. I hate all these terms and can't understand those that call themselves queer. I find it offensive"

I was called a lot of things as smears too, queer being one of them. However, for me calling myself queer is be taking the power away from the ignorant. I'm queer and proud.

Had that for years amongst other homophobic smears. I hate all these terms and can't understand those that call themselves queer. I find it offensive

I was called a lot of things as smears too, queer being one of them. However, for me calling myself queer is be taking the power away from the ignorant. I'm queer and proud."

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

I was called a lot of things as smears too, queer being one of them. However, for me calling myself queer is be taking the power away from the ignorant. I'm queer and proud."

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

"I think people may have tried to use the word queer as a slur back in the 80d and 90s but I think the word has been reclaimed and embraced as doesn't the Q in LGBTQ stand for queer

The Q is for questioning though for some it’s queer. Most I’ve asked said questioning, but sone say queer. Maybe it just means que? Lol "

Sometimes there are two Q's used, ie. LGBTQQIA. where Q is for questioning, Q is for queergender, I is for intersex, A is for asexual or aromantic.

A lot of people have started saying "Oh all this LGBTQQIAA etc is just too complicated, it's alphabet salad, we should all just use LGBT". But then some want to get rid of the T and just make it LGB, because "trans isn't a sexuality, it's got no place alongside LGB". Inevitably the same people then say "Bi isn't a proper sexuality, they're just confused about what they want, it should only be LG". And then "well gay covers women as well as men, we don't need to say lesbian, they're just a gay women". Then "I'm just going to call them all queer". And finally "well I'm just normal, they're all abnormal".

The thing is that this is all about identities. Certainly "there was none of this questioning, queergender, aromantic nonsense" in my day, but that's because I'm old. In my day, there wasn't even a space in society's terminology for trans gender, there was just "man who had a sex change". And without that terminology, I was unable to even know who I was when I was younger. During my lifetime I have experienced society build new terminology for more complex sexualities and genders, which has allowed people younger than me to actually put into words the things that they are feeling, and to start finding others who are feeling similar things. Without words for your own sexuality and/or gender then you cannot even know who you are, and it is utterly impossible to build community with others who might feel similarly.

So although I don't always use the full LGBTQQIAA+ is my normal daily speech, I'm certainly not going to start removing people who do identify in those ways, I'm not going to tell them that they have to remove their letter, that they must just "lump themselves in with one of the ordinary groups". Because this is about their identity, it's about my identity, it's about your identity.

You don't tell someone from Uganda that "oh, you're just African". You don't tell someone from Lancashire that "I don't recognise counties, you're just English". Identities matter, identities count, and if alphabet salad helps some people establish their identity in a way that I couldn't until far too late in my life, then give me lots of it.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

The Q is for questioning though for some it’s queer. Most I’ve asked said questioning, but sone say queer. Maybe it just means que? Lol

Sometimes there are two Q's used, ie. LGBTQQIA. where Q is for questioning, Q is for queergender, I is for intersex, A is for asexual or aromantic.

A lot of people have started saying "Oh all this LGBTQQIAA etc is just too complicated, it's alphabet salad, we should all just use LGBT". But then some want to get rid of the T and just make it LGB, because "trans isn't a sexuality, it's got no place alongside LGB". Inevitably the same people then say "Bi isn't a proper sexuality, they're just confused about what they want, it should only be LG". And then "well gay covers women as well as men, we don't need to say lesbian, they're just a gay women". Then "I'm just going to call them all queer". And finally "well I'm just normal, they're all abnormal".

The thing is that this is all about identities. Certainly "there was none of this questioning, queergender, aromantic nonsense" in my day, but that's because I'm old. In my day, there wasn't even a space in society's terminology for trans gender, there was just "man who had a sex change". And without that terminology, I was unable to even know who I was when I was younger. During my lifetime I have experienced society build new terminology for more complex sexualities and genders, which has allowed people younger than me to actually put into words the things that they are feeling, and to start finding others who are feeling similar things. Without words for your own sexuality and/or gender then you cannot even know who you are, and it is utterly impossible to build community with others who might feel similarly.

So although I don't always use the full LGBTQQIAA+ is my normal daily speech, I'm certainly not going to start removing people who do identify in those ways, I'm not going to tell them that they have to remove their letter, that they must just "lump themselves in with one of the ordinary groups". Because this is about their identity, it's about my identity, it's about your identity.

You don't tell someone from Uganda that "oh, you're just African". You don't tell someone from Lancashire that "I don't recognise counties, you're just English". Identities matter, identities count, and if alphabet salad helps some people establish their identity in a way that I couldn't until far too late in my life, then give me lots of it."

Queer basically means strange, odd, unconventional.

I've heard the term used to describe homosexualities, though not as a slur, more as an older person saying coloured for black.

Not a slur, a little misguided.

A very close family friend is homosexual and back in the late 80's, he and his friends would happily use the term Queer.

Wasn't there a programme named Queer eye for the straight guy? Or something like that?

» Add a new message to this topic