FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > CPR

CPR

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Just wondering who knows CPR? Last night on the way home I passed a van, as I glanced in the rear _iew mirror, I noticed the driver kneeling down by an old guy. I turned around and ran over. The driver told me he was 'gone'. A Community Nurse and I started CPR for about 10 minutes as an ambulance arrived. We were asked to continue while they worked on him.

After 30 minutes and a couple of shocks he started breathing himself and was rushed to Leeds.

I'm not glory hunting but I can't help but think that if the van driver knew CPR the process could have started earlier.

So, back to my question. Who knows CPR?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I do on 2 occasions had to do it one survived the other sadly died.

By *ucsparkMan  over a year ago

dudley

I did first aid course years back but have used it a few times. Would have thought amblulance would have talked him though CPR via pathways

The survival rate through to discharge for someone going in to cardiac arrest in the community is sadly very low. It is much higher in America where everyone is taught CPR at school as a matter of course and the vast majority of public buildings have a defibrilator.

"I did first aid course years back but have used it a few times. Would have thought amblulance would have talked him though CPR via pathways "

Being talked through it would depend how he was cooing with situation. At my first incidenf my fellow 1st aider went to pieces not her fault but until a real situation happens no one knows how they will react.

By *ercedes62Woman  over a year ago

Northampton

Yes taught it years ago and had to use it once on my own father

Yes got taught it awhile ago...had to do it on my bf,amazing how for a mad moment your mind goes blank...but split second i was back ontrack and even tho i tried my hardest and so did my friend who is a trained lifeguard sadly he passed away....

By *ethany10Couple  over a year ago

falkirk

"Just wondering who knows CPR? Last night on the way home I passed a van, as I glanced in the rear _iew mirror, I noticed the driver kneeling down by an old guy. I turned around and ran over. The driver told me he was 'gone'. A Community Nurse and I started CPR for about 10 minutes as an ambulance arrived. We were asked to continue while they worked on him.

After 30 minutes and a couple of shocks he started breathing himself and was rushed to Leeds.

I'm not glory hunting but I can't help but think that if the van driver knew CPR the process could have started earlier.

So, back to my question. Who knows CPR?"

I worked as in ambulance service for 25 years and also kept up my CPR skills, work in cardiology and always have my AED to hand, even in my car at meets as you never know....

By *acciWoman  over a year ago

leeds

Im a trained first aider done through work,and pleased to say that i have saved 2 lifes while at work. I think that everyone should learn basic first aid

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

well done and stand proud

I'm a fully qualified 1st aider, have been for several years. On the way to/from work I have to go through Stratford Station in London. On the way home one evening during the Olympics I saw some people gathered round a woman who was on the floor & unconcious near the ticket hall. Nobody knew 1st aid or CPR. After checking her, I started CPR at which point a ticket collector came over and helped - she was 1st aider too. The ambulance was on the scene very quickly & the crew took eventually took the lady away. Not sure how things turned out but the crew did thank us and said the lady was now breathing and had a steady heart rythm. With that they took her away.

By *istress_L-CaptainCouple  over a year ago

Southport

Everyone in my work does a CPR course every January. I did have to use it at work. The poor woman died, so how I think it was nicer she died with ua as she had no family and her next of kin was social services.

She lived on her own too so at leasts there was people around when she went.

"Just wondering who knows CPR? Last night on the way home I passed a van, as I glanced in the rear _iew mirror, I noticed the driver kneeling down by an old guy. I turned around and ran over. The driver told me he was 'gone'. A Community Nurse and I started CPR for about 10 minutes as an ambulance arrived. We were asked to continue while they worked on him.

I do but never had to use it.I hope that if I ever need to I dont panic.

By *edonism44Man  over a year ago

oldham

Just curious, do any of the staff in our favourite clubs know CPR?

It's a fair question due to the nature of the social scene, surely people must have had incidents in the clubs when get a little to far into the whole thing?

Be interesting to know if the owners/ employees know CPR and how to administer it ????

By *ethany10Couple  over a year ago

falkirk

"Just curious, do any of the staff in our favourite clubs know CPR?

It's a fair question due to the nature of the social scene, surely people must have had incidents in the clubs when get a little to far into the whole thing?

Be interesting to know if the owners/ employees know CPR and how to administer it ???? "

In my opinion having staff trained in CPR and having AEDs should be law in public places.

i know a bit bout CPR but other year had to do hiemlich manouvre on wife as she was choking in restruant, and we were with 2 other first aiders but i beat them to it.

By *umsuckMan  over a year ago

Gateshead

I've done a basic first aid course. Never had to put it into practice thankfully. Just hope that if and when the time comes I can handle the situation.

I was taught CPR wen daughter born early

I never thought I'd ever av to use it but in 07 I woke to find my nearly 7 week old not breathing I started CPR while hubby was on phone to 999 ambulance never said anything bout CPR I was already doing it

They asked hubby if breathing yet hubby said no misses still doing CPR they said any need to rush then sadly still 30 mins later no breath was took ambulance arrived and they just walked out with him xx

"I've done a basic first aid course. Never had to put it into practice thankfully. Just hope that if and when the time comes I can handle the situation."
learnt most of mine in army, wife asked what i wss thinking of whenshe was choking? i said2 where the fook are the insurance policies?"

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

good on you !!

Well done OP. Not something you ever hope to have to put into practice.

I am a trained first aider having done the St Andrews first aid course.

However I was retested and taught how to use a portable defib unit when I worked in a local Golf Club.

The owner is American and is a stickler for all staff being kept up to date so all staff are tested each year.

Got the CPR from my first aid and basic trauma thru' work and thankfully not used it myself, although my Boss has (1-0 to the Grim Reaper tho). Usually the paramedics beat us to it if the person is still alive when we get there, and for that I am thankfull! I believe the survival rate for those requiring CPR is quite low, so anyone with a tale of survival gets my respect.

So, back to my question. Who knows CPR?

I do but never had to use it.I hope that if I ever need to I dont panic."

The first time I had to do CPR my 1st reaction was 'Oh shit!! What do I do??'. I simply knelt beside the patient, took a very short time to assess the patient & gather my thoughts & then started. You'll be surprised as to how quickly your training will kick in. Time to have your wobbly moments is after the patient is taken away, then feel proud of yourself that you've been able to provide some assistance. If it's been a success, then take pride. If it's not a good outcome, then still take pride that you have given assistance even the outcome isn't what you wanted.

» Add a new message to this topic