FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Happy neurodiversity week

Happy neurodiversity week

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Happy neurodiversity week. Celebrating and normalising that brain differences are normal, rather than deficits.

Neurodivergent people experience and see the world differently, and can bring vast benefits and viewpoints.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *yron69Man  over a year ago

Fareham

"Happy neurodiversity week. Celebrating and normalising that brain differences are normal, rather than deficits.

Neurodivergent people experience and see the world differently, and can bring vast benefits and viewpoints.

"

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I didn't know! I have neurodivergent children and I definitely celebrate their different view of the world.

By *ryandseeMan  over a year ago

Yorkshire

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple  over a year ago

Coventry

I'm still getting my head round this being a thing. After a lifetime of just rationalising things different, getting the wrong end of the stick socially and being generally a bit a bit odd you just come to accept your odd and learn to become more human. Living in this world is kind of like being dropped into a country where you don't know the language. When your immersed in it you kind of pick up the language but your never as fluid as those born there. That how the world feels, like you just don't get what everyone else get. It wasn't till I met Mrs Misfit I was aware there is a reason for the way I am. Not that it really matters because I love who I am and wouldn't change me (neither would Mrs Misfit). However I do wonder if better awareness may have made my life a little easier and less lonely. However in said world with awareness I may have grown up to be different and not who I am now. My parents just accepted me as I am and supported all my interests and passions. And because I lived in a world were it didn't exist I was challenged and had to push my comfort zones to engage with the world and get where I am. So I think awareness is a real positive thing but to play devil's advocate if I were treated different and special treatment given in my handling maybe I wouldn't have pushed and battled to get where I am to today. In my mind I am just different to other people and that works great for me. A label at my stage of life is fairly indifferent to me. However I totally accept its not the same for everyone and we all have different challenges.

Mr

By *aughty nerdsCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

"I'm still getting my head round this being a thing. After a lifetime of just rationalising things different, getting the wrong end of the stick socially and being generally a bit a bit odd you just come to accept your odd and learn to become more human. Living in this world is kind of like being dropped into a country where you don't know the language. When your immersed in it you kind of pick up the language but your never as fluid as those born there. That how the world feels, like you just don't get what everyone else get. It wasn't till I met Mrs Misfit I was aware there is a reason for the way I am. Not that it really matters because I love who I am and wouldn't change me (neither would Mrs Misfit). However I do wonder if better awareness may have made my life a little easier and less lonely. However in said world with awareness I may have grown up to be different and not who I am now. My parents just accepted me as I am and supported all my interests and passions. And because I lived in a world were it didn't exist I was challenged and had to push my comfort zones to engage with the world and get where I am. So I think awareness is a real positive thing but to play devil's advocate if I were treated different and special treatment given in my handling maybe I wouldn't have pushed and battled to get where I am to today. In my mind I am just different to other people and that works great for me. A label at my stage of life is fairly indifferent to me. However I totally accept its not the same for everyone and we all have different challenges.

This thread is amazing

Mr"

We aren't different, we are the future

By *yron69Man  over a year ago

Fareham

I hated my old job where being a stiff white male was the accepted role model. Women rose in the ranks but generally having to be like men.

But a new head manager one day said he had no time for the punctual jobsworths. We were in research. He split science and new generation products. He also said the brightest ideas often came from the maverick who rolled in at ten and didn’t tick all the boxes .

He was a breath of fresh air.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

My work are aware of my neuro diversity as they put me through the diagnosis procedure.

They rather nicely sent me a pink notepad and pink reading filters in a pack celebrating this week.

I guess it’s the thought that counts but I’m not dyslexic

I have most other things though and I was a little chuffed they offer hell where they can.

North Bucks

"My work are aware of my neuro diversity as they put me through the diagnosis procedure.

They rather nicely sent me a pink notepad and pink reading filters in a pack celebrating this week.

I have most other things though and I was a little chuffed they offer hell where they can. "

*help oops

"I'm still getting my head round this being a thing. After a lifetime of just rationalising things different, getting the wrong end of the stick socially and being generally a bit a bit odd you just come to accept your odd and learn to become more human. Living in this world is kind of like being dropped into a country where you don't know the language. When your immersed in it you kind of pick up the language but your never as fluid as those born there. That how the world feels, like you just don't get what everyone else get. It wasn't till I met Mrs Misfit I was aware there is a reason for the way I am. Not that it really matters because I love who I am and wouldn't change me (neither would Mrs Misfit). However I do wonder if better awareness may have made my life a little easier and less lonely. However in said world with awareness I may have grown up to be different and not who I am now. My parents just accepted me as I am and supported all my interests and passions. And because I lived in a world were it didn't exist I was challenged and had to push my comfort zones to engage with the world and get where I am. So I think awareness is a real positive thing but to play devil's advocate if I were treated different and special treatment given in my handling maybe I wouldn't have pushed and battled to get where I am to today. In my mind I am just different to other people and that works great for me. A label at my stage of life is fairly indifferent to me. However I totally accept its not the same for everyone and we all have different challenges.

Mr"

Most people who receive a diagnosis don't get much help. Or special treatment. They just have to work harder in environments that are designed for neurotypicals.

^^ equality act 2010 and reasonable adjustments..that should get them moving

"^^ equality act 2010 and reasonable adjustments..that should get them moving "

Not special treatment though? Just measures to ensure equality.

By *hesecretdocMan  over a year ago

Lancashire

"My work are aware of my neuro diversity as they put me through the diagnosis procedure.

I have most other things though and I was a little chuffed they offer hell where they can. "

Would love to work where you work!!

"^^ equality act 2010 and reasonable adjustments..that should get them moving

Not special treatment though? Just measures to ensure equality. "

Which means adjusting and supporting you in the workplace. Access to work as well

"^^ equality act 2010 and reasonable adjustments..that should get them moving

Not special treatment though? Just measures to ensure equality.

Which means adjusting and supporting you in the workplace. Access to work as well "

I wasn't talking about myself. I don't have a diagnosis and I work for myself.

Nor was I. I was adding onto the question you raised for general information and awareness

"Nor was I. I was adding onto the question you raised for general information and awareness "

By *asterR and slut mayaMan  over a year ago

Bradford

Been dyslexic and have always thought in different ways to others and have the ability to use both sides of my brain at the same time after an accident as child ment I had to learn to learn to become right handed .

Bradford

"Been dyslexic and have always thought in different ways to others and have the ability to use both sides of my brain at the same time after an accident as child ment I had to learn to learn to become right handed ."

God it does piss me off when I repeat a phase and don't see it before posting

North Bucks

I have most other things though and I was a little chuffed they offer hell where they can.

Would love to work where you work!!"

They have been fantastic

By *oah VailMan  over a year ago

Dover

Mr"

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Ok I'm going to fess up and say I didn't know this was a thing.

Maybe it's a generational thing ?

Our of the loop on the latest terminology in that how people are identified these days seems to be via some sort of label be it gender or sexual orientation, differences in how we are in general seems to have a label.

Like I said maybe it's my age.

I grew up in a time where everyone who was slightly different was all bundled into a single category.

I went to a school and was put into the remedial class due to as then undiagnosed dyslexia and dyscalculia

So you struggle with English and spelling and math seemed like a completely different language.

You got stuck in a portacabin playing with fuzzy felt and learning to play London's burning on the recorder all day.

Frustrating doesn't even come close to how you felt being put into a class with people who have severe reduced mental capacity as well as others with many other conditions.

The word spectrum wasn't even a thing.

So you go through your schooling intelligent but lacking any support or understanding of why you act the way you do.

Your convinced that your a "dunderhead" my dad's favourite word for me.

So you just act up and skip classes.

Leave school early with no qualifications and skills.

Start a career holding yourself back the whole time believing that you are not able to do anything more than manual work, you convince yourself you are"thick" and indeed a"dunderhead" you spend a lifetime feeling different not quite able to fit in .

Then you find out that actually it's ok to be different almost 45 year's after being single out.

It's a lot to take in.

So whilst I praise the fact that these differences are identified and Indeed celebrated today and pray that my story is something that will hopefully be a thing of the past.

I can't help but feel confused by the many different labels and names.

I guess a lifetime of feeling inadequate will do that.

There's still a long way to go in today's world.

For example

Money management is very difficult if you ever try to explain to someone how you are when filling out a mortgage application or loan.

You just get the thousand yard stare.

Trying to read a book takes ages every line has to be re read over and over before it sinks in and makes sense.

I have skipped many opportunities for promotion at work due to the admin work involved.

Forgive me if I sound bitter.

Let's do hope I'm somewhat of a dinosaur and will become extinct.

Finally can I add.

Predictive text is the best thing that's ever happened to me.

All what I have written would be an illegible mess and voice text allows me the ability to speak the words I can't spell.

"Ok I'm going to fess up and say I didn't know this was a thing.

Our of the loop on the latest terminology in that how people are identified these days seems to be via some sort of label be it gender or sexual orientation, differences in how we are in general seems to have a label.

I grew up in a time where everyone who was slightly different was all bundled into a single category.

I went to a school and was put into the remedial class due to as then undiagnosed dyslexia and dyscalculia

So you struggle with English and spelling and math seemed like a completely different language.

You got stuck in a portacabin playing with fuzzy felt and learning to play London's burning on the recorder all day.

Frustrating doesn't even come close to how you felt being put into a class with people who have severe reduced mental capacity as well as others with many other conditions.

So you go through your schooling intelligent but lacking any support or understanding of why you act the way you do.

Start a career holding yourself back the whole time believing that you are not able to do anything more than manual work, you convince yourself you are"thick" and indeed a"dunderhead" you spend a lifetime feeling different not quite able to fit in .

Then you find out that actually it's ok to be different almost 45 year's after being single out.

It's a lot to take in.

So whilst I praise the fact that these differences are identified and Indeed celebrated today and pray that my story is something that will hopefully be a thing of the past.

For example

Money management is very difficult if you ever try to explain to someone how you are when filling out a mortgage application or loan.

Trying to read a book takes ages every line has to be re read over and over before it sinks in and makes sense.

I have skipped many opportunities for promotion at work due to the admin work involved.

Finally can I add.

All what I have written would be an illegible mess and voice text allows me the ability to speak the words I can't spell.

"

Coventry

It's a lot to take in.

For example

Finally can I add.

"

Likewise because of my dyslexia (which was identified as a kid) I spent quite a bit of time in special needs department at school replacing some lessons such as RE because I neded extra help. It was a bit fruitless because I didn't fit there. All the other children in the department had significant special needs and needed the full attention of the staff. I was quite a bright kid and the staff knew this. But they didn't have the time or anything tailored to my needs. As you can imagine it was a bit demoralising and boring for me. I was basically told to sit in the corner of the department and do my homework as the other kids were attended to. This didn't help me or them because I was a disruptive kid at school anyway due to being bored senseless and slightly sadist. So I would often wind up the staff and students. With the exception of subjects that interested me and I understood, mainly maths, history, physics and drama. In these I buckled down and they had my full attention. It was probably a 50:50 between the teachers who loved me and the ones that hated me.

Coventry

It's a lot to take in.

For example

Finally can I add.

Likewise because of my dyslexia (which was identified as a kid) I spent quite a bit of time in special needs department at school replacing some lessons such as RE because I neded extra help. It was a bit fruitless because I didn't fit there. All the other children in the department had significant special needs and needed the full attention of the staff. I was quite a bright kid and the staff knew this. But they didn't have the time or anything tailored to my needs. As you can imagine it was a bit demoralising and boring for me. I was basically told to sit in the corner of the department and do my homework as the other kids were attended to. This didn't help me or them because I was a disruptive kid at school anyway due to being bored senseless and slightly sadist. So I would often wind up the staff and students. With the exception of subjects that interested me and I understood, mainly maths, history, physics and drama. In these I buckled down and they had my full attention. It was probably a 50:50 between the teachers who loved me and the ones that hated me."

Luckily employment post school wasn't a problem. That's what I love about the military. They said do their tests. I did and my score opened all options to me, I scored highly. So I went into electronic engineering. It totally made sense and floated my boat. For the first time I studied my socks off because one I was interested in the subject and secondly I could see what I was aiming was of tangible value, unlike school. I went from strength to strength onwards.

And thank you. Its so nice to read something that resonates so much.

By *xmfrvnMan  over a year ago

Stoke-on-Trent

By *inx.x3Woman  over a year ago

Bath

Love this!! As an ADHDer lol. I love my diversity.

Bradford

Voice to text when your able to use it tend to do better with spelling now but when I can't use it its good the words come up below as you type on a mobile. But because im dyslexic I still don't see the error

And keep writing can when I ment to say can't sometimes .and resently notice I repeat parts of a sentence and not see it .

But compaired to the many other problems in the world like the war everybody watching on TV and the whole world should be up in arms to stop it . my spelling problems matter very little. I've got by successfully and have other gifts to compensate for been poor with my writing .

» Add a new message to this topic