FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Job interview

Job interview

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Ok so after being a stay at home Mum for the past 4 years i'm finally dipping my toe back into the world of work and i've got a job interview coming up, what the hell do I do now???????

Any tips? I'm sooo out of practice, I had my last job for 11 years so it's been a long time since I had something like this.

I'm mega nervous too

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *eisty LadyWoman  over a year ago

Count Your Blessings Cottage, Gratitude Grove

Good luck in your new job

You wouldn’t have been appointed if they didn’t have faith you could do it

You may have been out of the workplace for 4 years but being a stay at home parent has given you many new skills, not least patience and tolerance

Believe in Yourself

Whatever you can believe you can achieve

By *ou only live onceMan  over a year ago

London

First of all, good luck! This will be a long post, but I weirdly quite like interviews (I know!).

I know this is easier said than done, but do try to relax: remember, you also need to make sure you like them and their company so it's not a complete one-way street.

Listen carefully to the question asked and respond: don't try to shoehorn any prepared answers in, just because you've learnt them. Draw on them but adapt. Structure your answer to help yourself so you don't get sidetracked - e.g. "To deliver this successfully, I did three things..." (three is always good). For me, it's always about showing what you did and the outcome rather than loads on why you were doing it. Use "I" not "we"!

And eye contact (but not staring) - don't talk into the table!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Congrats on your interview! So exciting, a new chapter for you. Best of luck with it x

By *eisty LadyWoman  over a year ago

Count Your Blessings Cottage, Gratitude Grove

Ok so after being a stay at home Mum for the past 4 years i'm finally dipping my toe back into the world of work and i've got a job interview coming up, what the hell do I do now???????

Any tips? I'm sooo out of practice, I had my last job for 11 years so it's been a long time since I had something like this.

….

Sorry I misread your post and thought you’d got the job

Research the company - they may ask you about it

They often ask standard questions

- why do you want to work there

- what relevant experience you have

- why are your weaknesses

- where do you want to be in 5 years

Have a look online there are lots of articles that will give you an indication of questions they’re likely to ask, and some will give answers too

Write out the questions and answers on notecards and carry them with you, flick through them when you can

"Ok so after being a stay at home Mum for the past 4 years i'm finally dipping my toe back into the world of work and i've got a job interview coming up, what the hell do I do now???????

I'm mega nervous too "

Be yourself

By *ittlechick77Couple  over a year ago

Staines

"First of all, good luck! This will be a long post, but I weirdly quite like interviews (I know!).

I know this is easier said than done, but do try to relax: remember, you also need to make sure you like them and their company so it's not a complete one-way street.

Listen carefully to the question asked and respond: don't try to shoehorn any prepared answers in, just because you've learnt them. Draw on them but adapt. Structure your answer to help yourself so you don't get sidetracked - e.g. "To deliver this successfully, I did three things..." (three is always good). For me, it's always about showing what you did and the outcome rather than loads on why you were doing it. Use "I" not "we"!

And eye contact (but not staring) - don't talk into the table!"

first of all good luck some great advice here I would add try a be specific with examples you as answers as advised answer I as they want to know you did it and always say what the outcome/end result was whether the outcome is positive or negative.

By *histlerMan  over a year ago

Guildford

Just relax. They’ve invited you in for a reason, so be confident about what you know but also don’t be afraid to tell the truth.

They’re hiring a person, not a cv.

London

"First of all, good luck! This will be a long post, but I weirdly quite like interviews (I know!).

And eye contact (but not staring) - don't talk into the table!first of all good luck some great advice here I would add try a be specific with examples you as answers as advised answer I as they want to know you did it and always say what the outcome/end result was whether the outcome is positive or negative. "

100%. And it's reminded me - always be ready for the "is there anything you would have done differently?" Or "what did you learn from that?" follow up (or show you took time to learn and reflect on the outcome in your answer!)

Be nice to everyone, from the receptionist to the MD.

Firstly, because its nice to be nice, and also because you never know if Lizzie in cleaning has the ear of the MD, when she pops in to empty his bins of an evening!

Smile, eye contact and confidence whatever they say

By *tephTV67TV/TS  over a year ago

Cheshire

Good luck I have a job interview on Friday. Already had a pre interview, now a formal interview to do

I have an idea it’ll be ‘tell us a time when you ….’

So my advice try and recall a time you worked well in a team. Or went out of your way for a customer.

By *heonix_flamesWoman  over a year ago

Midlands

Have a look at the job description again and prepare answers based on what skills and experience they are looking for- you’ll need specific examples of things you’ve done in the past if it’s a competency based interview. Use the CAR method to structure your answers- Context, Action, Result. So what the situation was, what you did and what the outcome was. As someone else has said, use I and not we in your answers. Think about what you would like to know more about too and what questions you have for them. Good luck

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

Good luck ...do a little research online so you're prepared...and leg us know how you get on

Some excellent tips already. The other thing that I would add is also use examples from being a stay at home mom.

I’ve interviewed many moms coming back to the workplace and often see they feel inadequate for being out for so long, but you do so much when you’re at home that can easily and perfectly adapt in the workplace (budgeting household expenses, organising/scheduling various activities and clubs etc) - use a mix of previous role and home life examples in your answers.

When going for new jobs I always look at competencies a company has to try and determine what I have done to meet them and list out a few examples to draw on as needed. I also thoroughly research the company to know if they’d be a good fit for me.

Good luck OP!

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

Good luck

By *uby StarCouple  over a year ago

Durham

Good luck with your interview.

Wear something smart, be quietly confident, smile and have a look online at common interview questions.

Once question I've been asked at interviews recently is...

How do you work as part of a team?

Give me an example of how you worked in that team and what role you played and what was the outcome.

I also find the question "what's your weakness' difficult to answer too.

I hope it goes well.

By *razytimesinloveCouple  over a year ago

SW Scotland

"Good luck with your interview.

Wear something smart, be quietly confident, smile and have a look online at common interview questions.

Once question I've been asked at interviews recently is...

How do you work as part of a team?

Give me an example of how you worked in that team and what role you played and what was the outcome.

I also find the question "what's your weakness' difficult to answer too.

I hope it goes well."

I answered “flapjacks” to the what’s your weakness question, got a laugh at least.

Only advice I’d add is have a bit of a read up about the company in case they ask you.

Best of luck

Good luck op

Focus on what your good at and how you've learned from experience and the things you've improved. 4 years at home can give you so many experiences you can use in the workplace.

By *ryandseeMan  over a year ago

Yorkshire

Good luck. Be yourself, use examples of what YOU have done both in work and personal life and how you dealt with things yourself and as part of a team if relevant. Also think of what you have done to develop yourself and ask about opportunities to develop further in the future as well as progression opportunities within the company. Make sure you research the company and say something like, 'I am aware that you ..... ' so they appreciate that you did your research about them. All the best.

The advice above is really good.

You may have been told the interview style in advance and whether its testing behaviours etc. My advice is to look at some interview technique video clips on YouTube as they recently helped me prepare for a promotion interview.

Prepare your examples using STAR, situation, task, action and result. Don't dwell too long on situation and task as it's the actions and results that they will be keen to know. Think of it as telling them how you approached something and the end result. Always add lessons learned...if I had to do this again I would do it differently by..., or the positives and negatives from your experience of doing this activity.

Prepare past experience examples but don't learn them verbatim as the question may require you to tweak them.

Prepare for situational questions, these are forward thinking where they ask you not for a past experience but what you would do in a particular situation. These questions draw out how you think on your feet and the natural thought process of how you approach situations. These can be prepared in advance with key words as reminders which can be tweaked to the situation.

Prepare your answers to questions regarding conflict, difficult people, negative challenges as they want to see your approach to these real life situations.

Do you need to prepare a presentation? Is it a virtual interview or face to face?

I know its nerve wracking but keep reminding yourself that you are going to be telling people about your experiences and how it's really just a conversation about how good you are.

I have gone through this very recently and am leaving a place that I have worked at for 24 years and am going on a promotion to another organisation. My first interview in January I didn't get offered the job BUT I learned a great deal from the experience and applied for another job putting in to practice all the lessons learned...and I got it. So don't be put off if you are not offered the job, take the lessons on board and use them to your advantage next time.

I am here if you want to chat further. The very best of luck

NBVN x

Cheshire

Hi Op,

Have you had your job interview yet ?

I commented previously about how I was having one today. I think mine went well, scheduled for 45 minutes but went on for a hour and a half. Had a laugh together at the end.

If you’ve not had yours yet, good luck

Good luck OP and anyone else going for one!!

Yorkshire

"Hi Op,

I commented previously about how I was having one today. I think mine went well, scheduled for 45 minutes but went on for a hour and a half. Had a laugh together at the end.

If you’ve not had yours yet, good luck "

Good luck with the outcome

Cheshire

"Hi Op,

Good luck with the outcome "

Thanks

"Hi Op,

If you’ve not had yours yet, good luck "

Fingers crossed for a positive result for you

NBVN x

Cheshire

"Hi Op,

Fingers crossed for a positive result for you

NBVN x"

I feel quite positive

When will you f8nd out whether you got it????? Sending lots of positive thoughts.

Thanks you lovely lot for all your advice, i've had the interview and they rang me up the same day to offer me the job woohoooo, it'a only part time but it's a start x

Cheshire

"When will you f8nd out whether you got it????? Sending lots of positive thoughts.

Thanks you lovely lot for all your advice, i've had the interview and they rang me up the same day to offer me the job woohoooo, it'a only part time but it's a start x"

Brilliant, so happy for you.

When I find out, I’ll resurrect this thread so you’ll know. Feeling very positive about it.

"When will you f8nd out whether you got it????? Sending lots of positive thoughts.

Thanks you lovely lot for all your advice, i've had the interview and they rang me up the same day to offer me the job woohoooo, it'a only part time but it's a start x"

Oh wow I am so chuffed for you. Well done you.

NBVN x

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

[Removed by poster at 18/03/22 20:07:37]

London

Whoop whoop! Well done you, that's great news! X

By *uriousscouserWoman  over a year ago

Wirral

Fantastic, congratulations!

Yorkshire

Well done!

By *uby StarCouple  over a year ago

Durham

Wow, well done! That's great news

Thanks you lovely lot, I can hopefully put some of my creativety to good use in this role too

» Add a new message to this topic