FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Fur coat

Fur coat

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

As winter rolls round again I have the same problem I have had for the past 4 years, wether or not to wear my beautiful ankle-length vintage muskrat coat. It's lovely and warm and looks awesome but always seems to cause a reaction. I wore it only once last year and a woman berated me for wearing it, usually I would say something back but I was with my little one so it wasn't appropriate. So this year I'm undecided again

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

But do you wear knickers with it ?

"But do you wear knickers with it ? "

I do yeah

"But do you wear knickers with it ? "
oh dear this was my thought xxx

and essex is fur coat and no knickers country x

"and essex is fur coat and no knickers country x

"

Well thanks for your comment but anyway...

I'd wear it. It must feel like a hug from your gran when putting it on.

I'm sure if you tell people it's coney (rabbit) and a by product of food like leather they wouldn't blink an eyelid.

All this political correctness over wearing old furs grips me ... they are dead, you can't bring them back .... may as well wear it out respect the wee crittur that gave it's life all those years ago.

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

Or do what my friend does and tell them it's a really good fake

"Or do what my friend does and tell them it's a really good fake"

Muskrats are vermin after all .... say you're doing your conservation bit to save the yellow water lily which is a favourite snack for them.

I've told people it's fake before but it doesn't look it at all. What annoys me is people eat meat and wear leather as do

I but as fur isn't 'PC' they feel they can say any old crap to me when it's obvious they don't have any information to back it up with

By *oxy_minxWoman  over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

"Or do what my friend does and tell them it's a really good fake"

That's what I would do as well

By *damandeve4funCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

Whether or not it is old and bought/made in times when such things were less frowned on, it is still unethical. By wearing it, you are promoting a vile and cruel industry and encouraging others to think that it is okay to imprison, torture and needlessly kill animals for our own selfish pleasure.

People are idiots.

Wear it with pride.

"Whether or not it is old and bought/made in times when such things were less frowned on, it is still unethical. By wearing it, you are promoting a vile and cruel industry and encouraging others to think that it is okay to imprison, torture and needlessly kill animals for our own selfish pleasure."

Ah you've proved my point perfectly thank you

Muskrats are regarded as vermin in Holland and Belgium, they eat crops etc.

It's legal to kill them as they are not an endangered species or kept in cages solely for breeding for their furs. They are wild, culled in the wild they breed in the wild prolifically like the rodent they are.

"Muskrats are regarded as vermin in Holland and Belgium, they eat crops etc.

It's legal to kill them as they are not an endangered species or kept in cages solely for breeding for their furs. They are wild, culled in the wild they breed in the wild prolifically like the rodent they are."

Glasgow

It's legal to kill them as they are not an endangered species or kept in cages solely for breeding for their furs. They are wild, culled in the wild they breed in the wild prolifically like the rodent they are."

Man should not be killing animals for profit or gain. Dogs and cats are considered as food and sources of fur in some parts of Asia, where they think nothing of boiling them alive. Just because it is tradition, it does not make it right morally.

I dont agree with killing animals full stop, be that to eat them, test on them or wear them

It just goes against everything i believe in

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

My rule is if I eat it I wear it.

Glasgow

"I dont agree with killing animals full stop, be that to eat them, test on them or wear them

It just goes against everything i believe in "

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

And no, I don't have a cabbage leaf coat!! LOL

by definition humans are vermin

I often hunt and use every part of the animal possible.

Man has a symbiotic relationship with animals. People seem to forget that.

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"As winter rolls round again I have the same problem I have had for the past 4 years, wether or not to wear my beautiful ankle-length vintage muskrat coat. It's lovely and warm and looks awesome but always seems to cause a reaction. I wore it only once last year and a woman berated me for wearing it, usually I would say something back but I was with my little one so it wasn't appropriate. So this year I'm undecided again "

Personally I probably would not wear it to avoid those possible confrontations.

Personally I have no problem with people wearing fur in extremely cold climates.

Personally I would not criticise others for thinking and acting differently.

Hope that makes sense?

x

Glasgow

"My rule is if I eat it I wear it."

My rule too. Just that I would never eat anything that has been imprisoned, mutilated, tortured, raped and killed, which is basically what the meat and dairy industry does to the animals we eat. And all for our selfish pleasure because, in the western world, there is no excuse on economic grounds to eat animal products instead of fruit and veg, which are cheaper, more environmentally friendly and healthier.

The trading of furs started out because trappers were managing man's fields and foodstuffs, the furs were a by-product of their land management, not a fashion statement.

I eat what I kill whether it has scales, a shell, fur or feathers.

I don't advocate killing for fashion but if it's edible then I'll bag it and cook it, apart from my dogs.

My dogs get fish and langoustine heads & claws, wood pigeon, pheasant, rabbit and venison though, as it's all good for them and me.

"As winter rolls round again I have the same problem I have had for the past 4 years, wether or not to wear my beautiful ankle-length vintage muskrat coat. It's lovely and warm and looks awesome but always seems to cause a reaction. I wore it only once last year and a woman berated me for wearing it, usually I would say something back but I was with my little one so it wasn't appropriate. So this year I'm undecided again

Personally I probably would not wear it to avoid those possible confrontations.

Personally I have no problem with people wearing fur in extremely cold climates.

Personally I would not criticise others for thinking and acting differently.

Hope that makes sense?

x"

Yes it's the part about people saying things to me in front of my 2 year old that is putting me off. I know wearing fur is provocative and can evoke reactions and I would hate to bring that on myself when I'm with my daughter. Perhaps wearing it when I'm not with her would be best, although that will mean I'll get to wear it about three times this year

"My rule is if I eat it I wear it.

My rule too. Just that I would never eat anything that has been imprisoned, mutilated, tortured, raped and killed, which is basically what the meat and dairy industry does to the animals we eat. And all for our selfish pleasure because, in the western world, there is no excuse on economic grounds to eat animal products instead of fruit and veg, which are cheaper, more environmentally friendly and healthier."

With the greatest of respect, you're wrong.

All animals sent to slaughter are checked by a vet right before entering the abattoir. If there are any signs of abuse the animals are not killed and the farmer is investigated. After slaughter the organs are checked for any signs of poor feeding.

They are not tortured, abused or raped

Glasgow

"

The trading of furs started out because trappers were managing man's fields and foodstuffs, the furs were a by-product of their land management, not a fashion statement.

I don't advocate killing for fashion but if it's edible then I'll bag it and cook it, apart from my dogs.

My dogs get fish and langoustine heads & claws, wood pigeon, pheasant, rabbit and venison though, as it's all good for them and me. "

So, if I think you as edible, it is okay for me to kill you and eat you?

"

My dogs get fish and langoustine heads & claws, wood pigeon, pheasant, rabbit and venison though, as it's all good for them and me. "

By *edbagioMan  over a year ago

ripon

seen on sky news how the chinese go about farming animals for fur;

and can understand the anger towards you'i allways feel like spitting on a fur coat; should be leftin the darkages

ville things to have

My rule too. Just that I would never eat anything that has been imprisoned, mutilated, tortured, raped and killed, which is basically what the meat and dairy industry does to the animals we eat. And all for our selfish pleasure because, in the western world, there is no excuse on economic grounds to eat animal products instead of fruit and veg, which are cheaper, more environmentally friendly and healthier.

All animals sent to slaughter are checked by a vet right before entering the abattoir. If there are any signs of abuse the animals are not killed and the farmer is investigated. After slaughter the organs are checked for any signs of poor feeding.

They are not tortured, abused or raped "

with all respect as someone who grew up on a farm with a slaughter house at the end of our land you are wrong

The reason i stopped eating animals at the age of 14 was because i saw first hand how animals was treat

when foot and mouth hit our village in 2007 the goverment ordered all our animals to be killed regardless of their condition, on some farms the animals was just stunned and still alive when burnt

dont think just because its 2012 everything is hunky doryin slaughter houses because your wrong, most of us know what the goverment want us to know

"seen on sky news how the chinese go about farming animals for fur;

and can understand the anger towards you'i allways feel like spitting on a fur coat; should be leftin the darkages

ville things to have"

Bet you wouldn't have the balls to though, if anyone spat on me then I'd have them done for assault

[Removed by poster at 18/10/12 19:02:53]

Glasgow

They are not tortured, abused or raped "

Rape: Artificial insemination, required to breed animals in high numbers, is rape because the farmer does not gain permission for the animal to invade its privates.

Torture: Cutting of horns, beaks, tails, genitals, etc, as well as branding (basically burning the skin) are usually done without any form of anaesthetic and are certainly not done for the benefit of the animal.

Torture: On factory farms, animals are kept in small cages, often never seeing the light of day, sometimes not even having enough room to turn around.

Torture: Animals taken to slaugtherhouses sense they are going to their death, sometimes even when they are being driven on the truck. Certainly when they get to the slaughterhouse. Many a video will show animals trying to escape because they know what is about to happen to them. They can smell and hear the death of their own kind.

Torture: There is countless evidence of animals not being stunned properly and still being alive at later parts of the process. Indeed, a large proportion of our meat in this country is now halal, which requires the throat to be cut before stunning.

Torture: Dairy cows have their young calves taken away from them almost immediately after birth. They often pine for their calves for weeks. The male calves pine for their mothers during their short lives during which they are fattened up for veal.

Need I go on?

Glasgow

with all respect as someone who grew up on a farm with a slaughter house at the end of our land you are wrong

The reason i stopped eating animals at the age of 14 was because i saw first hand how animals was treat

when foot and mouth hit our village in 2007 the goverment ordered all our animals to be killed regardless of their condition, on some farms the animals was just stunned and still alive when burnt

dont think just because its 2012 everything is hunky doryin slaughter houses because your wrong, most of us know what the goverment want us to know"

dont think just because its 2012 everything is hunky doryin slaughter houses because your wrong, most of us know what the goverment want us to know"

That was an extreme circumstance to stop the spread of disease, not the norm for slaughter houses during normal operation, I've done work in them and grew up in a farming community.

By *edbagioMan  over a year ago

ripon

ville things to have

Bet you wouldn't have the balls to though, if anyone spat on me then I'd have them done for assault "

allways feel like ;wouldnt lower myself to that level but find it distastefull

the news piece i was on about highlighted how cheap fur comes over and is used instead of fake and the way it is killed

ville things to have"

Many vegetarians argue that the cultivation of meat harms the environment. However, they fail to recognize that the cultivation of fruits and vegetables can also have dire environmental implications. Consider this: the vast majority of non-organic farms still use pesticides and insecticides that kill off just as many beneficial predators as pests, thereby leaving nature’s delicate balance in disarray. These dangerous chemicals also frequently leach into water supplies where they can cause harmful neurological effects when consumed by humans and animals alike. Speaking of water, the cultivation of vegetables requires vast amounts of it, which in turn can cause water shortages and, in extreme cases, drought. Fruit and vegetable farms also harm the environment through the burning of agricultural waste and the production of oxide emissions from nitrogen fertilizer.

While we’re on the topic of air pollution, it should be noted that vegetarians also produce more gas than meat-eaters. The problem lies in the human body's inability to fully digest the complex carbohydrates in the vegetarian diet, resulting in higher production of gases like hydrogen, carbon dioxide and methane.

"While we’re on the topic of air pollution, it should be noted that vegetarians also produce more gas than meat-eaters. The problem lies in the human body's inability to fully digest the complex carbohydrates in the vegetarian diet, resulting in higher production of gases like hydrogen, carbon dioxide and methane. "

well i take take exception to that

im a lady i dont fart

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

so regret giving my Canada Goose coat to charity .. I couldnt say if any of them ended on the table for Christmas

"Many vegetarians argue that the cultivation of meat harms the environment. However, they fail to recognize that the cultivation of fruits and vegetables can also have dire environmental implications. Consider this: the vast majority of non-organic farms still use pesticides and insecticides that kill off just as many beneficial predators as pests, thereby leaving nature’s delicate balance in disarray. These dangerous chemicals also frequently leach into water supplies where they can cause harmful neurological effects when consumed by humans and animals alike. Speaking of water, the cultivation of vegetables requires vast amounts of it, which in turn can cause water shortages and, in extreme cases, drought. Fruit and vegetable farms also harm the environment through the burning of agricultural waste and the production of oxide emissions from nitrogen fertilizer.

While we’re on the topic of air pollution, it should be noted that vegetarians also produce more gas than meat-eaters. The problem lies in the human body's inability to fully digest the complex carbohydrates in the vegetarian diet, resulting in higher production of gases like hydrogen, carbon dioxide and methane. "

Glasgow

"Many vegetarians argue that the cultivation of meat harms the environment. However, they fail to recognize that the cultivation of fruits and vegetables can also have dire environmental implications. Consider this: the vast majority of non-organic farms still use pesticides and insecticides that kill off just as many beneficial predators as pests, thereby leaving nature’s delicate balance in disarray. These dangerous chemicals also frequently leach into water supplies where they can cause harmful neurological effects when consumed by humans and animals alike. Speaking of water, the cultivation of vegetables requires vast amounts of it, which in turn can cause water shortages and, in extreme cases, drought. Fruit and vegetable farms also harm the environment through the burning of agricultural waste and the production of oxide emissions from nitrogen fertilizer.

While we’re on the topic of air pollution, it should be noted that vegetarians also produce more gas than meat-eaters. The problem lies in the human body's inability to fully digest the complex carbohydrates in the vegetarian diet, resulting in higher production of gases like hydrogen, carbon dioxide and methane. "

So where does the food come from that feeds the animals that meat-eaters devour? It comes from growing vegetables and fruit. If the land used to grow food required for such animals was instead used for food for humans, there would actually be less land used.

Yes, cultivating fruit and veg has environmental implications, but this is far less than when using the land for meat and dairy.

For example, 1lb of meat requires 50 times as much water as the same amount of wheat.

It has been estimated that a mere 10% reduction of meat consumption would free at least 12 million tones of grain for human consumption - enough to feed 60 million people. That is why the World Health Organisation and United Nations have both recommended that we need to move to a vegetable-based diet to avoid starvation around the world.

As for human body struggling to consume a vegetarian diet, it has a much harder time consuming meat because we have the intestines of a herbivore and not a carnivore. The gases produced by the livestock required to produce meat far outweigh those produced by humans and are actually one of the main causes of air pollution. So, the less livestock, the less pollution.

We are not carnivores or herbivores, get that straight.

We are omnivores .... we eat all. that's why we have cutting (incisors) as well as grinding and crushing teeth.

And here comes a science bit.

Our stomachs produce hydrochloric acid, something not found in herbivores. HCL activates protein-splitting enzymes. Further, the human pancreas manufactures a full range of digestive enzymes to handle a wide variety of foods, both animal and vegetable.

You would also be surprised at the number of infants and toddlers suffering from malnutrition in this country, purely because they are on low-fat lo-cal semi-skimmed vegetarian diets their parents chose for them ......

free the toddlers give them full-fat milk and cheese

And wee furry sheepskins to keep the winter blasts off their tootsies.!!!

By *teveanddebsCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

As a wise man once said, if we aren't supposed to eat animals why are they made of meat?

"We are not carnivores or herbivores, get that straight.

We are omnivores .... we eat all. that's why we have cutting (incisors) as well as grinding and crushing teeth."

we are designed to eat mean but that does not mean we need it, i havnt eaten meat for 23 years and ive bought 3 children up meat free and theres nothing wrong with any of us, its possible to have a healthy diet that does not involve animal products

out teeth was designed from the times we lived off the land, and dont get me wrong if i was every stranded on a island with my kids and a rabbit hopped by, and it was the only food, i would have no problem killing that rabbit to feed my kids, but im never going to be in that situation and there are plenty of other options now days to eat and wear apart from animals and i choose them, not because its what my body is designed for but because its what my mind chooses to do, like meat eater, thats not a need anymore its a personal choice

its like anything in life, its personal choice

Glasgow

"And here comes a science bit.

Our stomachs produce hydrochloric acid, something not found in herbivores. HCL activates protein-splitting enzymes. Further, the human pancreas manufactures a full range of digestive enzymes to handle a wide variety of foods, both animal and vegetable.

You would also be surprised at the number of infants and toddlers suffering from malnutrition in this country, purely because they are on low-fat lo-cal semi-skimmed vegetarian diets their parents chose for them ......

free the toddlers give them full-fat milk and cheese

And wee furry sheepskins to keep the winter blasts off their tootsies.!!! "

The real scientific fact is that man has all the characteristics of a herbivore - a long intenstine to digest the nutrients in plant foods - flat teeth, hands that grasp rather than claws and large brains.

Analysis of tooth markings shows that our primitive ancestors' diet was largely vegan. Climatic changes forced us to eat everything in order to survive, so we became omnivores.

Let's see you chase down your prey with your swift carnivore legs, grab it and tear it apart with your carnivore claws and devour it raw with your carnivore fangs if man is naturally meant to eat meat.

There are a lot more cases of malnutrition among meat eaters than there are among vegetarians. Any kind of food diet can become imbalanced if you do not eat correctly.

As for giving toddlers full-fat milk and cheese. Well, feel free to introduce them to the higher rates of cancer, diebetes, heart disease and obesity, all of which you are at a far greater risk of while eating meat than on a vegan diet, the followers of which are also shown statistically to have a higher IQ.

Setting aside the arguments about diet, environment, etc, there is one overriding reason to be vegan. With so much food available in the western world, there is no longer a moral (ie out of necessity) excuse to eat animal produce, which inflicts pain, suffering, imprisonment and needless death on billions of living beings every year.

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"As winter rolls round again I have the same problem I have had for the past 4 years, wether or not to wear my beautiful ankle-length vintage muskrat coat. It's lovely and warm and looks awesome but always seems to cause a reaction. I wore it only once last year and a woman berated me for wearing it, usually I would say something back but I was with my little one so it wasn't appropriate. So this year I'm undecided again "
I wear my fur coats, and fur hats, i have been berated for it but take absolutely no notice, i did inform the women she had ten seconds to get outta my face...my choice, if i wish to wear fur i will...

By *adystephanieTV/TS  over a year ago

glos

Cant see how anyone would object to you wearing the coat of a dead rat hunni at least its not a georgous arctic fox ...

I think the real actual fact, and sod science lol, is that wether you eat meat or not does not make for a better or worse diet

Its what parents choose to feed their kids that makes their diet good or bad

I know lots of people whos kids live in processed food, mcdonalds and verious other fast food burgers, child obesity is at its all time highest

are you seriously telling me these kids have a healthier diet than my kids did that was bought up on fat free meat suppliments and veg any vitamin or mineral thats found in meat can be bought in a supliment now days you dont need, or example liver for iron, you can buy it in tablet form and you can anything else

quorn does not clog your arteries, chilli bean burgers do not sit undigested in your bowels

any child can have a bad diet and be malnutritioned due to the wrong food, not having meat in your diet really is irrelevant

"Whether or not it is old and bought/made in times when such things were less frowned on, it is still unethical. By wearing it, you are promoting a vile and cruel industry and encouraging others to think that it is okay to imprison, torture and needlessly kill animals for our own selfish pleasure."

Here here

I feel its personal choice.

I wouldn't wear one.

I don't like how the animals are used for their fur but I don't have a problem with anyone who chooses to wear one esp if It's old.

I would however have my cat stuffed when she passes away just so I can keep smoothing her beautifully soft coat!

As long as it keeps you warm in all the important places,stuff them,lol.

"I think the real actual fact, and sod science lol, is that wether you eat meat or not does not make for a better or worse diet

Its what parents choose to feed their kids that makes their diet good or bad

I know lots of people whos kids live in processed food, mcdonalds and verious other fast food burgers, child obesity is at its all time highest

are you seriously telling me these kids have a healthier diet than my kids did that was bought up on fat free meat suppliments and veg any vitamin or mineral thats found in meat can be bought in a supliment now days you dont need, or example liver for iron, you can buy it in tablet form and you can anything else

quorn does not clog your arteries, chilli bean burgers do not sit undigested in your bowels

any child can have a bad diet and be malnutritioned due to the wrong food, not having meat in your diet really is irrelevant"

Okay I give up I agree!

Quorn has its place in my freezer too as many of my friends are vegetarian and I do cater for them. Although my spicy vegetarian chili is fought over by meat-eaters and non-meat eaters lol.

Nothing lies undigested in anyones bowels though, it all comes out the same...there is no wee special meat pocket for roast beef to sit and wait in while the sprouts go hurtling by.

Wear it!!

I’ve got a rather fetching Donkey Jacket…

Wear it and be damned, bet those to beret you go to nstural history museums,

"Wear it and be damned, bet those to beret you go to nstural history museums, "

I think a fur coat will look shit with a beret.

We eat meat and wear and use leather so this may be a bit hypocritical but the wearing of animal fur that has been farmed or hunted just for it's fur is disgusting. If the fur Is a by product of meat production then why not use it as if a animal is killed then it would make sense to use every part of it. But to breed a animal and leave in locked up in a tiny cage for it's whole life then kill it take it's fur and discard the rest is wrong however you dress it up.

"Wear it and be damned, bet those to beret you go to nstural history museums,

I think a fur coat will look shit with a beret."

Meant berate silly me

Mine is a silver fox bought for me by my mum over 30 years ago. I have never worn it in public. However, I may carry it with me as part of my play kit.

"My rule is if I eat it I wear it."

To be honest we say ignore them and bloody wear it!

people need to put thing into perspective its already dead and has been for a long time, they will eat meat and wear leather so what the difference? as in cruelity there otherwise to stop it than banned furs and the fakes dont look or feel half as good,

to us their more important matters of concern about cruelity than wearing bloody furs ( sex trade, abuse to females and children and many more) do you have a issue with diamonds because if you realise most of the stones are blood stones but no one kicks up about gold and diamonds

By *anda man.Man  over a year ago

Stockport

Buy a fucking Donkey Jacket...

All this moralizing...

By *hérieWoman  over a year ago

North Wales

Well I say, life would be awfully boring if we were all the same.

You got it, you like it, you wear it.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Wear your fur coat even when you are with your daughter.

She needs to learn how to handle idiots.

[Removed by poster at 18/11/12 18:01:23]

"Buy a fucking Donkey Jacket...

All this moralizing..."

its not moralizing its called choice

i choose not to eat mean, wear skins, use products tested on animals, i dont shop at B&Q and wicks as the wood they sell is felled illegally from the Borneo rainforest which is pushing orangutans to the brink of extinction, not do i buy any P&G products as they found animal experiments etc etc etc

But thats my choice some people dont care how or where their products come from or how they get them some some do

Personally I think fur coats look vile, but you like it you've got it so frig everyone else just wear it.

By *teveanddebsCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

I think all the anti's should go to the Bulldog Bash and explain to the Angels why they shouldn't wear leather.

its all about choice, fur coats are seen as cruel these days due to the trade in furs. If its 40years old which I doubt then it was probably made in the days without people thinking about animal welfare.

These days there is no need to buy fur due to the quality of man made fibres and would indicate if bought it in last ten years then its most likly a bad thought out purchase as to where the furs have come from and what animals have suffered for the making of the coat. If it was me i'd sell it and give the money to an animal charity and buy a fake fur one instead?? but its yours so do with it what you want just dont be supprised if some people take offense and tell you so!!

"I think all the anti's should go to the Bulldog Bash and explain to the Angels why they shouldn't wear leather."

Leather is an offshoot from the meat trade, therefore unless your a veggie then it wont make much difference to the majority of most people where leather comes from.

By *cottishsexgoddessWoman  over a year ago

Glenrothes

I have exactly the same problem. It was my gran's coat, she loved it, so why shouldn't I wear it. I would never buy new certainly but why should it go to waste?

By *cottishsexgoddessWoman  over a year ago

Glenrothes

And just for information, the coat was purchased in 1968 - I found the receipt amongst her papers when my mum passed away!

"And just for information, the coat was purchased in 1968 - I found the receipt amongst her papers when my mum passed away!"

I eat meat, veg, fruit & quorn. I would never buy a NEW fur coat, but would wear an old one. Why should the OP not wear it it has been passed down through her family. It is her choice (a word used a lot on this site).

By *ackandkateCouple  over a year ago

Truro

Does a donkey jacket count?

» Add a new message to this topic