FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Suggest a dog

Suggest a dog

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Right im looking at getting another dog for a few reasons, main one being to keep my other dog compnay and give him someone to play with

Thing is i cant decide on what breed to get

Now the dog i have is a greyhound and very lively and i just think someone for him to play with would benifit him, plus i do love dogs so would also give another dog a good home

So what do i get?

Do i get another greyhound, someone who can keep up with him and give him a run for his money and keep him occupied at a level fitting to his very lively standards

Or do i get a more mellow dog whos not going to be on the go all the time so maybe will calm my dog down a little?

I think i would prefer something a little smaller, but then im thinking its daft getting a dog to be a companion for my other dog if its not going to keep up with his lively personality and have no interest in him, as it may caurse problems between the two if ones always trying to get the other to play (which he will) and the other just wants to be left alone to do its own things

Right now my 3rd option is getting something like a Italian greyhound or a whippet which will be a smaller dog but still quick and lively enough to play with the dog i already have, as i have looked into these breeds and they have the same type of out going temperament

ohh arrr lol

so my options are another greyhound? totally different breed of dog or go for a smaller breed of sight hound?

answers on a post card please

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *nfieldishCouple  over a year ago

Enfield

Springer.......no contest..

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Get him a rabbit

German Shorthaired Pointer my lot love playing with our neighbours rescue greyhounds & can keep up with them no bother. Also they have brains, speed & beauty from the person with 5! Oh & they love to cuddle & snuggle!

[Removed by poster at 16/10/12 21:04:30]

By *r Stagger LeeMan  over a year ago

torquay

Try the dog rescue centres, they usually have loads of whippet cross and ex racing greyhounds looking to be rehomed.

I'd go with an older greyhound or maybe a whippet - they do cope better in two's I have found.

"Try the dog rescue centres, they usually have loads of whippet cross and ex racing greyhounds looking to be rehomed."

i was thinking of going to the greyhound rescue centre for one but i keep thinking im not sure my beds big enough for two of them i could fit a yorkie on my pillow lol

My grandad and uncle used to breed whippets

Lovely, lovely dogs

Go to a rescue centre to find a suitable dog though

Lurchers and the like go for big money in certain circles

"I'd go with an older greyhound or maybe a whippet - they do cope better in two's I have found.

"

problem i have with getting a older dog, which im not opposed to at all if i can find a suitable one, is i have 3 cats and im thinking id be better off with a younger one who i can bring up with my cats?

"Try the dog rescue centres, they usually have loads of whippet cross and ex racing greyhounds looking to be rehomed.

i was thinking of going to the greyhound rescue centre for one but i keep thinking im not sure my beds big enough for two of them i could fit a yorkie on my pillow lol"

I've had 5 German Shorthaired Pointers sharing my king sized bed,,,,the only problem being is one of them kept stealing the duvet

"I'd go with an older greyhound or maybe a whippet - they do cope better in two's I have found.

problem i have with getting a older dog, which im not opposed to at all if i can find a suitable one, is i have 3 cats and im thinking id be better off with a younger one who i can bring up with my cats?"

not all greyhounds / whippets are bad with cats

the animal sanctuary should be able to guide you on this as long as you clearly state your position

they don't want you to make the wrong choice as they don't really want to see the dog back, so it is important to get the right home for them as opposed to just any home

Border Collie

Brains and energy a bit like me really

Alaskan malamute everytime

"Alaskan malamute everytime "

not a chance on this earth, ive seen them shed

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

"Springer.......no contest.."

Having 2, if the op does vote for one, please take a great and devoted interest in training it.

I'm just a bit protective of the breed, gorgeous dogs that can be easily ruined or left to rot

X x

"Springer.......no contest..

Having 2, if the op does vote for one, please take a great and devoted interest in training it.

I'm just a bit protective of the breed, gorgeous dogs that can be easily ruined or left to rot

X x"

you can say that about any dog if its not look after properly surely?

By *ot - CoupleCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

Does your Greyhound need a companion or is it you?

yumsville

Springers, depending on show our working stock are a breed apart, bit like cockers. Made for the field, anyway, I'm sure you'll find a special man or lady for ya greyhound, best of luck

"Does your Greyhound need a companion or is it you?"

haha my life isnt that sad just yet i need a dog to keep me company, and if i did i already have one

Glasgow

"Does your Greyhound need a companion or is it you?

haha my life isnt that sad just yet i need a dog to keep me company, and if i did i already have one "

We have to retired Greyhounds and they got on very well together. If you decide to get another dog its best to take your Grey with you to meet it at first I wouldn't go for something small and furry.

Glasgow

haha my life isnt that sad just yet i need a dog to keep me company, and if i did i already have one

We have to retired Greyhounds and they got on very well together. If you decide to get another dog its best to take your Grey with you to meet it at first I wouldn't go for something small and furry."

We have 2* retired

Cocker spaniels will easily be able to keep up with your other dog and will play endlessly for hours and hours and are very easy to train. Good luck and hope you find something lovely

yumsville

"Cocker spaniels will easily be able to keep up with your other dog and will play endlessly for hours and hours and are very easy to train. Good luck and hope you find something lovely "

Show cockers maybe but the workers are an entirely different sorry, not an ready breed to handle at all.. Smiles

I didn't realised I had stumbled into the forums of the Spaniel Appreciation Society !

Or are spaniels the new BBW ?

"Cocker spaniels will easily be able to keep up with your other dog and will play endlessly for hours and hours and are very easy to train. Good luck and hope you find something lovely

Show cockers maybe but the workers are an entirely different sorry, not an ready breed to handle at all.. Smiles "

I have a three year old working cocker that is such a good boy, he is a stud dog and although lively, he can cope very well with a couple of walks a day. He is great with cats but not with chickens or birds of any kind. As long as they have routine and time off the lead when out, I think they make great pets.

yumsville

"I didn't realised I had stumbled into the forums of the Spaniel Appreciation Society !

Or are spaniels the new BBW ? "

Spaniels are great dogs if you know what to expect and if you have the lifestyle to suit them. I'd never recommend anyone gets one simply because of this. Nothing against anyone, just you have to be ready for a whirlwind 365 days a year.. Well maybe 364.5 days

Border Terrier, and I am bias!

By *U1966Man  over a year ago

Devon

English Setter best dogs by far

Glasgow

"I didn't realised I had stumbled into the forums of the Spaniel Appreciation Society !

Or are spaniels the new BBW ?

Spaniels are great dogs if you know what to expect and if you have the lifestyle to suit them. I'd never recommend anyone gets one simply because of this. Nothing against anyone, just you have to be ready for a whirlwind 365 days a year.. Well maybe 364.5 days"

Get a jack Russell !

Used to hate them - but my sister has one now and it's full of energy and mad as a bucket of frogs!

Smaller - and will have enough energy to keep up with the greyhound!!

Bulldog. They stay wherever you leave them.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

I have 2 cross spaniel/poodle

great dogs

chihuahua!!!!!

Your doing well looking after a grey hound there such big dogs but yes you probably will need something that can keep up with it like a lurcher type but not as big. I will stick with me 2 shitsu's

A jack russel. great dogs

Hot dog.

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

I'd suggest another greyhound or similar (lurcher or whippet). A spaniel or collie would shock you as they both need a lot more exercise than a greyhound!

Greyhounds are less manic and not as prone to attachment issues.

Collies and spaniels are working dogs and need a lot of mental and physical stimulation and thrive much better if someone is with them most of the time.

A friend has two retired greyhounds and they are good together, one is more docile than the other.

I personally like Hungarian Vizlas, very intelligent and loyal.

haha my life isnt that sad just yet i need a dog to keep me company, and if i did i already have one "

me !

Glasgow

"I'd suggest another greyhound or similar (lurcher or whippet). A spaniel or collie would shock you as they both need a lot more exercise than a greyhound!

Greyhounds are less manic and not as prone to attachment issues.

Collies and spaniels are working dogs and need a lot of mental and physical stimulation and thrive much better if someone is with them most of the time."

By *irtydanMan  over a year ago

Blackpool

"Get him a rabbit"
lol

By *azNdavCouple  over a year ago

barnsley

A lurcher cross would be an ideal choice for what you want in the dog your looking for. Able to run and play with your greyhound and also they are unbelievably laid back. And they come in all shapes and sizes too.

By *teve261970Man  over a year ago

Gateshead

"Springer.......no contest.."

+1

I have got a Labrador, a Cocker Spaniel and a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.

My votes goes with a lab every time, one the most easiest to train and very loyal/obedient.

"Get him a rabbit"

Batteries would be dangerous

» Add a new message to this topic