FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > ( ( ( WARNING ) ) )

( ( ( WARNING ) ) )

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *lutandhubby OP   Couple  over a year ago

west midlands

do not give your bank details out to anyone phoneing from sky saying they owe you money from your insurance ( ITS A SCAM )! we just had our bank account wiped out! so beware out there!.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

dont give any personal details over the phone

west midlands

weve learned the hard way, now in the hands of the fraud squad. just got to see what they say now.

Um, do not give your bank details to anyone phoning or visiting your house, (save for trusted family members and friends, should they need them).

Don't give any information to anyone phoning without verifying who they are. If it's a company, call them back if necessary.

I won't even give my name to an unsolicited caller unless they can prove who they are.

By *issBehavingxxWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Um, do not give your bank details to anyone phoning or visiting your house, (save for trusted family members and friends, should they need them).

Don't give any information to anyone phoning without verifying who they are. If it's a company, call them back if necessary.

I won't even give my name to an unsolicited caller unless they can prove who they are."

Anyway, does Sky even include any form of insurance? What for?

By *odareyouMan  over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

[Removed by poster at 15/10/12 13:40:28]

west midlands

yes, our sky box is .

"yes, our sky box is ."

Ah, I don't have Sky. I'd expect a sky box to be covered by contents insurance.

I had it with virgin media, or someone claiming to be them

they called me up and offered me a great mobile contract deal for me and my kids, if i took out a contract for 3 phones, i would get 3 top of the range phone with unlimited text and data and 500 mins with £25 a months for the lot, if anything sounds to good to be true in my books it usually is lol

Anyway shes giving me all the info and at the end she asks for my bank details to set up an account, i pointed out they already had them as they take a direct debit out every month and to just look on the compulter and use the same as they already had, she gave me some crap line about how she couldnt do that and when she realised she was getting anywhere hung up on me

By *ue care and attentionWoman  over a year ago

birmingham

Sorry to hear about your predicament.

I guess most will say they never give personal details over the phone anyway but not every scammer is so obvious.

I had my bank account cleared by a woman who worked at an MFI call center where I order a kitchen unit from over the phone. She copied my bank card details and used them to go on a spending spree. Once the bank alerted me, I tracked her down and coordinated the companies she bought from and the police and she was prosecuted and got 18 months.

next time they phone just play dumb and give them some details off top of ur head

Don't understand why you pay insurance for Sky?

We never have.

Do you mean warranty payments incase the box breaks?

Sorry to hear what has happened, I would never give my information out over the telephone/person/email or any other way.

However Sky owe me £300!

By *ue care and attentionWoman  over a year ago

birmingham

"Sorry to hear about your predicament.

I guess most will say they never give personal details over the phone anyway but not every scammer is so obvious.

I had my bank account cleared by a woman who worked at an MFI call center where I order a kitchen unit from over the phone. She copied my bank card details and used them to go on a spending spree. Once the bank alerted me, I tracked her down and coordinated the companies she bought from and the police and she was prosecuted and got 18 months. "

Forgot to add...mine was her downfall. When police raided her house, they took 3 van loads of goods away...hence the 18 months sentence!

With sky after a year of having a contract with them the sky box then belongs to you (not like virgin where the virgin box always belongs to virgin) and in the first 12 months with sky your box is covered, but after the 12 months is over if anything happens to that box then you have to pay to get it fixed, so they do insurance for the sky box at around £8 per month.

west midlands

glad to hear it worked out for you.

you can trace their number on website type this into google who called me and put there number in the box and u will see all GOOD LUCK

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

I'm a little shocked to hear that anyone would give out such details to a stranger on the phone.....

By *ust_for_laughsCouple  over a year ago

Hinckley

"With sky after a year of having a contract with them the sky box then belongs to you (not like virgin where the virgin box always belongs to virgin) and in the first 12 months with sky your box is covered, but after the 12 months is over if anything happens to that box then you have to pay to get it fixed, so they do insurance for the sky box at around £8 per month."

The reality being that if it does break after 12 months, you phone them up, they tell you it's now your responsibility, you threaten to leave, they send you a new box !

"With sky after a year of having a contract with them the sky box then belongs to you (not like virgin where the virgin box always belongs to virgin) and in the first 12 months with sky your box is covered, but after the 12 months is over if anything happens to that box then you have to pay to get it fixed, so they do insurance for the sky box at around £8 per month.

The reality being that if it does break after 12 months, you phone them up, they tell you it's now your responsibility, you threaten to leave, they send you a new box !"

I tried that but it didn't work, fortunately my neighbour had one that was only 3 months old , they gave it to me

By *r and mrs sanddancerCouple  over a year ago

BOLDON COLLIERY

we just had an e-mail warning about dangerous tinned meat

not going to worry as i think it's spam

Hinckley

"With sky after a year of having a contract with them the sky box then belongs to you (not like virgin where the virgin box always belongs to virgin) and in the first 12 months with sky your box is covered, but after the 12 months is over if anything happens to that box then you have to pay to get it fixed, so they do insurance for the sky box at around £8 per month.

The reality being that if it does break after 12 months, you phone them up, they tell you it's now your responsibility, you threaten to leave, they send you a new box !

I tried that but it didn't work, fortunately my neighbour had one that was only 3 months old , they gave it to me"

It's never failed for us...they know our Internet and phone is with Virgin and would hate to lose the TV as well, I think ! Saying that, I'd go to Virgin in a heartbeat if I could get the same deals as new customers get.

I tried that but it didn't work, fortunately my neighbour had one that was only 3 months old , they gave it to me"

Yeah our box is over two years old now and it started saying 'no signal' on some channels every now and then, so tried all the guides on the sky website and also looked on google for solutions but couldnt find anything to sort it out so called sky, thinking i would be told they will send someone out in two weeks, instead we got a woman saying 'oh we can see your box is over two years old and you dont have insurance on it' she then said its a standard £60 call out fee then if its a big job i would be charge on top, in the end i fixed it myself as thought £8 a month just for insurance on the sky box is a bit steap, i did try the 'i will leave sky if you dont send me a new box etc' but they simply turned around and said they cant just send a new box out to me bla bla bla.

Hinckley

They do when you actually cancel...and don't speak to the call centres, speak to the retentions department.

"I won't even give my name to an unsolicited caller unless they can prove who they are."

I have recently started saying to unsolicited callers that to comply with the data protection act they must answer some verification questions, then proceed to ask their name, address, date of birth etc... really confuses them

"dont give any personal details over the phone "

Or to any stranger - EVER! And that includes flippin 'chuggers'!!

"I had it with virgin media, or someone claiming to be them

they called me up and offered me a great mobile contract deal for me and my kids, if i took out a contract for 3 phones, i would get 3 top of the range phone with unlimited text and data and 500 mins with £25 a months for the lot, if anything sounds to good to be true in my books it usually is lol

Anyway shes giving me all the info and at the end she asks for my bank details to set up an account, i pointed out they already had them as they take a direct debit out every month and to just look on the compulter and use the same as they already had, she gave me some crap line about how she couldnt do that and when she realised she was getting anywhere hung up on me "

I had the same sort of thing the other day. Virgin called wanting to upgrade my package and then they tried to sell me a mobile phone contract but when I pointed out that I knew they just bought space from existing carriers and at peak times, the priority went to the customers of those carriers, she just said 'sorry from Virgin' and hung up on me! Lol!

"I'm a little shocked to hear that anyone would give out such details to a stranger on the phone....."

Why are you 'shocked'? If someone already has an existing service with someone, say Sky, and they're being sold a new service, a lot of people might not automatically think 'you should already have my details', especially if theres nothing specifically untoward going on.

"I'm a little shocked to hear that anyone would give out such details to a stranger on the phone.....

Why are you 'shocked'? If someone already has an existing service with someone, say Sky, and they're being sold a new service, a lot of people might not automatically think 'you should already have my details', especially if theres nothing specifically untoward going on."

I'd say in these times, unless you called them, nobody is who they say they are until they prove otherwise.

Mind you, I used to teach a session on social engineering as part of a previous job. I probably take paranoia too far.

Any calls that come to me like that i tell them that the conversation is being recorded, i get at least 3 scam calls a week and its the best way to get rid

"Um, do not give your bank details to anyone phoning or visiting your house, (save for trusted family members and friends, should they need them).

I won't even give my name to an unsolicited caller unless they can prove who they are."

i do that. when people ring me and ask me to confirm secruity questions i ask them some questions.

they soon get fed up when i say 'how do i know your who you say you are?'

tell them your putting them on hold and just put the reciever down

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"do not give your bank details out to anyone phoneing from sky saying they owe you money from your insurance ( ITS A SCAM )! we just had our bank account wiped out! so beware out there!. "

sorry this has happened to you and I hope you get your money back. My elderly parents were scammed recently by someone claiming to be from microsoft and I know how upsetting it can be.

Scammers can be very plausible so please don't feel as if it's your fault

» Add a new message to this topic