FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Unreliable tradesmen

Unreliable tradesmen

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *angerousLiaisonsCouple OP   Couple  over a year ago

London

I need a tradesman to fit a cooker hood chimney cover.

Not a big job but I don’t have the tools to cut the stainless steel cover to size so naturally I asked family and friends for recommendations.

Not a single one was comfortable suggesting anyone because of terrible experiences.

Anyone else share this frustration?!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I have a boiler guy who I recommend to everyone who then recommend to everyone, the perfect tradesman. Every other trade I’ve just had an endless stream of let downs serially. Plumbers, electricians, joiners, builders - all absolute chancers who never turn up on time, often at all, visit and never quote/disappear, cost more than they said, so a worse job than I could (honestly, the one time I paid a decorator to paint out a brand new loft conversion, no prep work, fully clean new surfaces, and he painted over the fucking hinges - lazy bastard!)

By *andonmessMan  over a year ago

A world all of his own

"I need a tradesman to fit a cooker hood chimney cover.

Not a big job but I don’t have the tools to cut the stainless steel cover to size so naturally I asked family and friends for recommendations.

Not a single one was comfortable suggesting anyone because of terrible experiences.

Anyone else share this frustration?!"

Yes! 2 separate builders to quote on having my porch extended and a downstairs loo installed. Both were keen, knew it'd be done under permitted development so no planning permission or building inspector etc. Never heard back from either one So bloody frustrating when I have the money to have the job done, it's not a maybe or a flight of fantasy!

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

Funny enough us tradesmen look at customers the same

The amount of ghosts we get in the trades would make the average fab user blush.

And that’s after we’ve spent evening looking at the spec, pricing materials, dieting yoir calendar out

Both sides can be very frustrating

London

I share your frustrations!

I am just going to rent an angle grinder and do it myself. YouTube has enough instructional videos but I thought I’d get a professional in.

Shame there’s a dearth of professionalism!

By *ustamanMan  over a year ago

weymouth

"I share your frustrations!

I am just going to rent an angle grinder and do it myself. YouTube has enough instructional videos but I thought I’d get a professional in.

Shame there’s a dearth of professionalism! "

Depends on where you are and who you know. Despite being a heating engineer I can't get sensible quotes (if at all ) for scaffolding or roofers to respond to price a reroof. Waiting for storm whatever to rip the roof off then the insurance can deal with it

By *igJFromSAMan  over a year ago

Woking

I'm a big fan of how unreliable other tradesmen are, make me look good just by turning up on time and being pretty tidy

By *JB1954Man  over a year ago

Reading

Recently I helped a family friend , female to get quotes etc . This for new bathroom and downstairs cloakroom refurbish. As had big renovation done by a company recently in the end recommended them. They sub out to their recommended contractors. Work yes done ok. But have had to complain as contractor did not quote fully for work to be done. Wiring , testing etc . I had a call from her when job already started to say. Contractor said new fuse board required and would cost about £1000 . I questioned this as although retired seen her fuse board and knew that did not fully need renewing. I still have my electrical qualifications. Suddenly revised cost was of parts , wiring and testing . £400.

Then as an extra she wanted sockets in hallway. Verbal cost £250 . Electrician had visibly looked at job. No written quote given. When job done £385.

Complaint made to first company again. They are finding out as to why this has happened. My thought was as retired female on own. Easy money for them . ?

By *oah VailMan  over a year ago

Dover

Go to Screwfix and buy an inexpensive 115mm one and some thin steel cutting discs.

Don’t forget goggles, gloves and ear protection.

Mark where you need to cut with tape, and hold the cowl securely. Both hands on the grinder, let the disc do the work, don’t force it.

Keep the mains cable clear of the work, and your fingers away from the disc. When you turn it off, keep hold of it until the disc stops spinning.

The edges of the sheet will be razor sharp, as will your cut edge, so take care.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Yes we had two windows and a front door fitted by the most unreliable trade ever, we'd never recommend them. However the plumber who fitted our bathroom is someone we would confidently recommend to anybody who asked.

By *loudF7Man  over a year ago

South East

As a tradesman myself Ive heard the horror stories, that's why I keep a small group of them to hand that I've worked with and have done work on my property so I can personally vouch for them, only problem is they are always busy

By *eedshandymanMan  over a year ago

leeds

As a skilled workman myself I can only say there's good and bad .most are usually good.and if there any good they be booked in months in advance.very busy

By *haron StonerTV/TS  over a year ago

Haywards Heath

Why didn't you buy the right size in the first place?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I need a tradesman to fit a cooker hood chimney cover.

Anyone else share this frustration?!"

Yes,after getting stitched up and or on the receiving end of shoddy work. My mate went to night class to learn electric, plumbing and plastering. Certain things that you have get signed off properly. But if you have the time and money do this, it saves you a fortune later. After plumber took the piss and needed my help to change my toilet and shower, charging me for his and I rightly assumed my labour (not enough people ask for the final bill to be broken down). I start a plumbing course in spring.

London

"Yes,after getting stitched up and or on the receiving end of shoddy work. My mate went to night class to learn electric, plumbing and plastering. Certain things that you have get signed off properly. But if you have the time and money do this, it saves you a fortune later. After plumber took the piss and needed my help to change my toilet and shower, charging me for his and I rightly assumed my labour (not enough people ask for the final bill to be broken down). I start a plumbing course in spring.

"

A friend also started doing these types of courses on the weekends to do DIY on his home.

Think I might…

London

"IWhy didn't you buy the right size in the first place? "

It’s not standardised.

» Add a new message to this topic