FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Renting a house

Renting a house

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

When you have a pet !

Well it's time to move for the first time in 6 years.

I love my little pad but the area is getting a bit rough even for my liking.

Trouble is, since I moved in I have 'acquired' a dog.

What a bloody nightmare !

Lost count of the amount of proverbial doors I have had slammed in my face this weekend.

It looks like Letting Agents and Estate Agents are the main instigators of these rulings as opposed to private landlords, so I'm thinking that is probably the way to go.

According to The Dogs Trust something like 48% of the population have a pet, a good deal of these being cats and dogs.

I can't believe that estate / lettings agents would potentially cut their market to such a degree or is it because the lettings market is so buoyant these days ?

Some landlords may accept if you can get a reference for the pet (as well as yourself) or are willing to pay a hight deposit and/or agree to have the house professionally cleaned on your departure.

All I have been offered is properties that would be a downgrade rather than an upgrade or ones that appear to be in a suburb of Baghdad judging my the 'bomb damage'.

Just airing a little frustration.

I guess I should have left it til Thursday and had a proper rant

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I think that if you rent a property with a pet then you should have the house professionally cleaned when you leave. A lot of people have allergies, especially to dog and cat hair and a professional cleaner is more likely to get rid off hairs - ie wash carpets etc.

Good luck finding somewhere x

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

Agents will only be acting on a Landlords instructions, if a landlord chooses not to have a dog owner as a tenant surely it's their prerogative?

Hope you find a suitable property soon and that it meets your requirements, but landlords are entitled to their own requirements being met.

It's a nightmare!

I had to leave my dog with my ex mother in law a few years back as no landlords would consider pets!

Considering children can cause as much if not more damaged , if love to see agents try and get away with a 'no kids policy' - as you're liable for the condition of the property and ensuring its in good order upon departure - why should dog and cat owners be penalised?

"Agents will only be acting on a Landlords instructions, if a landlord chooses not to have a dog owner as a tenant surely it's their prerogative?

Hope you find a suitable property soon and that it meets your requirements, but landlords are entitled to their own requirements being met.

"

I TOTALLY understand that, but reading the experiences of others online, many have said that the landlords were, in general, cool with pets and it was often the agents who set the rules.

I also spoke to one agent who was lovely and said she would speak to her landlords directly and ask them if they will consider pets, as she was aware that many would despite the fact her business generally operated a blanket 'no pets' policy.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

"It's a nightmare!

I had to leave my dog with my ex mother in law a few years back as no landlords would consider pets!

Considering children can cause as much if not more damaged , if love to see agents try and get away with a 'no kids policy' - as you're liable for the condition of the property and ensuring its in good order upon departure - why should dog and cat owners be penalised? "

Sorry but it's quite common for many landlords to also insist that their properties are not let out to tenants with children, once again it is within the law to do so.

And why wouldn't a landlord have that choice?.....it's their property after all.

"It's a nightmare!

i'd love to see agents try and get away with a 'no kids policy' "

some are apparently trying just that (well at least according to some of the forums i was reading last night)

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

I'll give your lovely doggy a reference, but not sure about you

"I think that if you rent a property with a pet then you should have the house professionally cleaned when you leave. A lot of people have allergies, especially to dog and cat hair and a professional cleaner is more likely to get rid off hairs - ie wash carpets etc.

Good luck finding somewhere x"

when i moved out of home first time around it took a few weeks to then discover i had a flea infestation it was awful and had to move out temporarily.. luckily the sods bit me and not my month old baby. i was truly hacked off

"When you have a pet !

Well it's time to move for the first time in 6 years.

I love my little pad but the area is getting a bit rough even for my liking.

Trouble is, since I moved in I have 'acquired' a dog.

What a bloody nightmare !

Lost count of the amount of proverbial doors I have had slammed in my face this weekend.

It looks like Letting Agents and Estate Agents are the main instigators of these rulings as opposed to private landlords, so I'm thinking that is probably the way to go.

According to The Dogs Trust something like 48% of the population have a pet, a good deal of these being cats and dogs.

I can't believe that estate / lettings agents would potentially cut their market to such a degree or is it because the lettings market is so buoyant these days ?

Some landlords may accept if you can get a reference for the pet (as well as yourself) or are willing to pay a hight deposit and/or agree to have the house professionally cleaned on your departure.

All I have been offered is properties that would be a downgrade rather than an upgrade or ones that appear to be in a suburb of Baghdad judging my the 'bomb damage'.

Just airing a little frustration.

I guess I should have left it til Thursday and had a proper rant "

As an agent I completely get where your coming from and I will ask all owners their thoughts, It normally means another small deposit and it normally works more if the dog is an older dog, say over three x

weve just been though the same thing, we did find a great place in the end, but it wasnt easy

"Agents will only be acting on a Landlords instructions, if a landlord chooses not to have a dog owner as a tenant surely it's their prerogative?

I TOTALLY understand that, but reading the experiences of others online, many have said that the landlords were, in general, cool with pets and it was often the agents who set the rules.

I also spoke to one agent who was lovely and said she would speak to her landlords directly and ask them if they will consider pets, as she was aware that many would despite the fact her business generally operated a blanket 'no pets' policy. "

I've found exactly the same thing. Landlords have actually told me that letting agents have encouraged them not to accept pets, and some definitely apply a 'no pets' policy across the board regardless of what the landlord has said.

I have two elderly (11 year old) cats and they're the most laid back animals you are ever likely to meet. They've never caused any damage and, since I adopted them age 6, they've never had fleas. They are indoor only cats so they are never likely to, plus they are treated regularly with spot-on flea treatment.

Have I been able to find anywhere to rent? I've effectively had the doors at all the local agents slammed in my face too, repeatedly.

I can understand landlords not wanting dogs in their properties but surely some would accept 2 mature, calm, indoor cats , if asked?

There don't even seem to be many private landlords in this area, and the ones there are tend to have relatively poor accommodation. Everything decent seems to be managed by agents.

Add to that that I am currently on Benefits... I may as well be a leper. I'm a decent, educated person who takes care of other people's things as if they are my own. I've never left a rented property in less good condition than when I moved in, and most are significantly cleaner.

I've been sleeping on a friend's floor for the last 3 and a half months. And potential meets are *still* expecting me to accommodate!!! (Others have said oh, well, I'll wait until you are settled then. Unbelievable!)

"I'll give your lovely doggy a reference, but not sure about you "

Aww he's a lovely little thing. Always panting and jumping up on you and licking your face and trying to hump your leg.

I've never met his dog though.

"

Unfortunate but very true

Happy house hunting tho!!

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Don't end your lease before you find somewhere else, if at all possible. As with jobs, having one means you are better candidate in the eyes of some letting agents and landlords.

Good luck.

"Don't end your lease before you find somewhere else, if at all possible. As with jobs, having one means you are better candidate in the eyes of some letting agents and landlords.

Good luck."

No chance of that.

I have been with the same landlord for 6 and a half years and have been with the same employer for 12 so references won't be an issue.

I get on great with the landlord and we have a good working relationship. Any problems, he has fixed within the week and we have both 'added value' to the property whilst I have been there.

I have always paid my rent on time - never been late once and the only disagreement we had was over water rates, a problem we resolved by reaching a compromise agreement.

Unfortunately he only has the 2 properties, the 1 I am in and the 1 next door.

I have been looking at moving for 12 months or so as the area has gone down hill dramatically (couple of murders, but more just gangs of kids hanging round and making nuisances of themselves) + the fact that what was a green area has been dug up and turned into a tram stop, so within the next 6 to 12 months, I will have trams operating within 10 feet of my living room window for 15/16 hours a day.

So time to stop 'thinking' and time to do some 'doing'

"

I can understand landlords not wanting dogs in their properties but surely some would accept 2 mature, calm, indoor cats , if asked?

"

You may find that landlords have MORE of an issue with cats than they do dogs.

I was surprised by that idea too, but because they are seen as less clean (in terms of spraying etc) and because they scratch things, they are seen by some as more of a problem than dogs.

I even saw some people suggesting that they have their cats 'de-clawed' and have them spayed (as they are less likely to spray) before considering a move.

According to 'lets with pets', a campaign set up by The Dogs Trust, these are the Top 10 tips for a pet owner seeking to rent a property :

Top Ten Tips

When you are looking for privately rented accommodation with your pet, there are a number of things you can do to make the house hunting process as simple as possible and to show prospective landlords that you are a responsible pet owner.

1 Don't leave your house hunting until the last minute - Give yourself plenty of time to find a pet-friendly property and begin searching at least 6-8 weeks before you need to move out of your current home.

2 Be as flexible as possible - The more restrictive your search criteria are, the more difficult it will be for you to find a pet-friendly property. Try to be flexible on location and property type as this will increase your chances of finding somewhere for you and your pet to live.

3 Write a CV for your pet - Provide your prospective landlord with as much information about your pet as you can. Write a CV and include contact details for your veterinary practice and for someone who can care for your pet in case of an emergency. You could also include details of your pet's last vaccinations and any flea and worming treatments they have received.

4 Get a reference for your pet - By providing your landlord with a reference from your previous landlord or your vet, you can show that your pet is both well behaved and capable of living in rented accommodation without causing problems or damage. This will also demonstrate that you are a responsible pet owner.

5 Introduce your pet to your landlord - Meeting your pet in advance may put your landlord's mind at ease. You could invite your landlord to your current home so that they can see that your pet has caused no problems there. This is particularly important for dogs as it's an opportunity to show that your dog is calm and well behaved.

6 Offer to pay a higher deposit - Many landlords are concerned about pets causing damage to their property or furnishings. By offering to pay a higher deposit, you will reassure the landlord that you will cover any damage that your pet may cause.

7 Offer to have the property professionally cleaned - Landlords often worry that accepting pets will lead to flea infestations, excess pet hair and dirty carpets and soft furnishings. To put your landlord's mind at ease you might consider offering to pay for the property to be professionally cleaned when you move out. Some landlords and letting agents may ask for a non-refundable payment in advance to cover the cost of cleaning.

8 Be honest, don't sneak your pet in without permission - It's never advisable to keep a pet in a property without the landlord's consent. This will only lead to problems in the future and could result in the termination of your tenancy. It's possible that keeping pets in the property may even violate the landlord's own leasehold agreement. It's advisable to always be honest about your pets from the start.

9 Get written permission - If your landlord has given you permission to keep a pet in your property, make sure you get it in writing. You should ask for a clause to be added to your tenancy agreement to cover the keeping of pets and make sure that any 'No Pets' clauses are removed. This will prevent problems from arising in future.

10 Raise awareness of Dogs Trust's Lets With Pets campaign - By spreading the word about our campaign, you can help us to encourage more landlords and letting agents to accept pets.

Good luck with your search, Bussy!

It's good that you are upfront about pet ownership though, as I know of a couple who rented a place under false pretence without telling the landlord they have 2 dogs.

The day before a property inspection, they would frantically clean the place up to get rid of doggy evidence.

They would put the dogs in the car and park it a few blocks away to avoid being seen.

Not sure if they are still living there, as they were seen collecting cardboard boxes for "car booting purposes". Yeah right, probably got found out more like, as it is not easy to hide 2 dogs!

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

"I'll give your lovely doggy a reference, but not sure about you

Aww he's a lovely little thing. Always panting and jumping up on you and licking your face and trying to hump your leg.

I've never met his dog though. "

And he's house trained, well apart from the odd little accident

By *almh5Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

The problem is that everyone tells you how well behaved their pet is, its house trained, doesnt scratch, moult, etc. And its quite often not true, they usually all have bad habits.

A few weeks ago we had to replace carpets because the well-behaved terrier had moulted to such a degree there wasnt a chance of getting it out the carpet. Or the house I live in now which had to be left empty for months until the smell of urine and shit had gone from the floorboards, not to mention the 4 new interior doors and the holes in the walls where the dogs had tried to get out

Even our own house needs repainting cos of the dogs habit of sliding along the wall

Saying that we will still accept them but with the higher deposit and professional clean at the end, you have to have references anyway so I would ask for that to be mentioned.

I'm pretty sure I know where you live as well as theres not that many places controversially having greens dug up for trams and a couple of murders! I'm sure you will find somewhere, just dont risk a dodgy landlord!

By *upitersmileCouple  over a year ago

Manchester

Haha, I live there too!!! Oh, we could all know each other lol

Manchester

I dont live there, I live the other side of Manchester, a certain newspaper is probably responsible for all the fuss!

"Haha, I live there too!!! Oh, we could all know each other lol

"

I now have a picture of all of you looking out of your windows on different sides of the green and trying to see who lives in which house.

As always the problem is the odd bad tenant who wrecks it for everyone. In almost 30 years of letting houses out I have had a couple of bad tenants and the trouble, grief and expense they cause really does take the fun out of the job. Sadly it doesn't take much pet damage to wipe out several months rent not to mention having a property idle whilst it is being brought back to an acceptable standard again. Even though I have a dog myself, I now have a strict no pets rule just to protect my investment.

"

You may find that landlords have MORE of an issue with cats than they do dogs.

I was surprised by that idea too, but because they are seen as less clean (in terms of spraying etc) and because they scratch things, they are seen by some as more of a problem than dogs.

I even saw some people suggesting that they have their cats 'de-clawed' and have them spayed (as they are less likely to spray) before considering a move."

Both my cats are spayed/neutered and it would never cross their minds to toilet anywhere outside their trays. Occasionally when I am working outside (in an enclosed garden) they're allowed outside with me. If they need to toilet, they go inside, use their tray and come back out again! That was where they were taught to go, so that's where they go. No mistakes in 6 years. They may become incontinent as they get older but I'll deal with it appropriately at the time. They will not damage anyone else's property, I guarantee, and if they did, I'd clean or replace it without question.

Declawing is painful and cruel and I wouldn't do that under any circumstances. However, they have a climbing/scratching tree and have never scratched furniture, but as I'd be renting unfinished with my own furniture, I don't see a problem anyway. They wouldn't scratch door frames etc. either but if they did, I'd make good before I moved out.

I'd always repair/replace anything damaged during my tenancy because it's the right thing to do. Besides, that's what my deposit is for. I know it's possible to do a lot more damage than is covered by a deposit but I'm not like that. I've never not got my deposit back in full. I'd be quite happy to talk in person to landlords and I think they would get a positive impression from me. At least, I hope so!

I hate being lumped together with irresponsible tenants without being given a chance, and without agents even asking a landlord about my circumstances. I'm a good tenant (as are my pets!) but some agents have treated me like something they trod in, especially when they hear I'm on Benefits currently (illness, not unemployment even).

Manchester

When I moved here it was so quiet and nothing ever happened here, was considered a desirable place to live, but with all the activity recently it seems to have attracted more trouble.

Manchester

Haha, could be very handy for a quikie lol

My cats are long haired and do shed a lot but I don't like everything I own covered in fur either so I have a vacuum cleaner designed to remove animal hair and several specialist upholstery brushes. I vacuum most days and dust and clean the furnishings each week.

Without seeing the cats and their blankets and bowls etc, you'd be unlikely to be able to tell I have them. And that's not just me being a deluded pet owner. It's what visitors to my previous property said. No smell (unless one of them has just been in the litter box - which I ten clean), no damage and no excess fur. I often asked friends who came round if they could smell the cats when they arrived, just to check. Nobody ever could.

I spent 3 days cleaning my previous place, including stamping and steam cleaning the carpets, despite despising the landlord by then, because it's the right and responsible thing to do. The place was far cleaner when I left than when I moved in. I doubt professional cleaners would have been more thorough.

To be told I am not a trustworthy tenant... well, it doesn't feel good. And in the meantime non-pet owners who will do damage and upset the neighbours can rent places whilst I continue to sleep on a floor.

Manchester

I dont like to lump tenants together either, but when you've had to spend quite a lot of money on pet damage, new carpets, new doors, walls replastered, the loss of money when its empty, people are bound to get a bit ansty! It can also affect your landlord insurance. We now do it on an individual basis.

And we do take people on HB as well, they are no worse than any other tenants, and if you know how it works, it can all be fine. We have a whole bunch of teenage single mums on benefits, no problems with any of them and they usually make the place look fabulous!

"I dont like to lump tenants together either, but when you've had to spend quite a lot of money on pet damage, new carpets, new doors, walls replastered, the loss of money when its empty, people are bound to get a bit ansty! It can also affect your landlord insurance. We now do it on an individual basis.

And we do take people on HB as well, they are no worse than any other tenants, and if you know how it works, it can all be fine. We have a whole bunch of teenage single mums on benefits, no problems with any of them and they usually make the place look fabulous! "

I wish there were more - or even some! - like you in this area. I feel like a pariah.

stamping in my previous post should read shampooing. Posting in a hurry on my phone again...

AFAIK, it is illegal to de-claw cats in this country.

In all fairness, ya don't need to own a pet to be a scruffy bastard !

That said, being a scruffy bastard AND having a pet I can see being a landlords nightmare !

"AFAIK, it is illegal to de-claw cats in this country.

"

If it isn't, it bloody should be.

"AFAIK, it is illegal to de-claw cats in this country.

If it isn't, it bloody should be."

I believe it is in this country. It's not everywhere - Americans do it as a matter of course.

By *istress_L-CaptainCouple  over a year ago

Southport

My mum's partner is deaf and has a assistance dog, its not a pet. The trouble he had getting his flat was amazing.

Someone said we don't take pets so he explained that this is an animal that is allowed into shops, pubs, restaurants etc. She is highly trained and is a working dog. They just repeated no pets and hung up!

By *edbagioMan  over a year ago

ripon

not read all this but;

have been through the same nightmare

allso they can say children considerd

so it is becoming harder by the day.

i have two dogs and would not have any more when these go till i buy

again.

if you have kids the council will take care of you

By *izzy RascallMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

Im a dog lover and miss having one due to me renting.

To shed some humour on the subject, whatever next 'No Sex Swings' or something?

Manchester

Just had a thought... Try new charter, if you're really lucky they might house you on the heartshead or even hattersley lol

"Just had a thought... Try new charter, if you're really lucky they might house you on the heartshead or even hattersley lol "

I don't think I would qualify somehow.

I am one of those people whose address doesn't reflect his income and I have tended to use it as disposeable as opposed to on property.

I thought about getting a mortgage, but no one is interested in a fat 40+ year old with diabetes and high blood pressure

Bit like on here really

I'd also have to borrow to afford the deposits they want these days which I am not keen on doing.

So when am I homeless, I will have some lovely holidays to look back on and will be the best dressed tramp in town - and I will have a dog to beg with (he does do the 'woe is me' sad face eye roling thing very well) lol

I am a landlord, and I do allow pets, children re-decoration or anything else the tenant wants, but only if they are a longer term tenant. if someone moves in with a dog cat or even a budgie and leaves a few months later I have to pay for a full clean, often have to re-decorate etc. before I can find another tenant. if they are there for a year or more then that is an expected expense.

My mortgage agreement means that I am not able to rent to tenants on benefits, I don't know why, but they wont lend me money on a house where the rent is paid by the government.

Check your local paper, private landlords are usually much more reasonable than estate agents, and in my case cheaper too, as I give discounts about equal to the fees I would pay the agency if I used one.

"My mortgage agreement means that I am not able to rent to tenants on benefits, I don't know why, but they wont lend me money on a house where the rent is paid by the government.

"

I'm falling foul of this one at the moment. How, exactly, I wonder, am I supposed to get back to work with no stable place to live?

The council say 'there's a lot of pressure on social housing, private rented accommodation is your best bet' unless you have kids (I don't) then they'll help (grudgingly).

Letting agents say 'go away scum' and even if they didn't, as you say a lot of mortgage companies and insurance companies won't allow tenants on Benefits.

It's leaving a lot of people nowhere to go.

Out of interest, what would happen if a tenant had a job when they moved in but subsequently lost it and had to claim Benefit? Would you be expected to evict them?

"Out of interest, what would happen if a tenant had a job when they moved in but subsequently lost it and had to claim Benefit? Would you be expected to evict them?"

I had this situation once, but it was only for a few months so it wasn't a problem, but it could lead to that depending on the terms of the mortgage.

well thats the way people roll, think of it if it was your house, and wasnt a particulary hard property to get a tennant for then why would you choose to have animals kept in the place when you dont have to.

not everyone lets their pets make the house smell etc, but sometimes cant be helped, and if i was the landlord even as an animal lover i would pick the person who knows to never have pets every time unless i was desperate to rent it out and couldnt

"well thats the way people roll, think of it if it was your house, and wasnt a particulary hard property to get a tennant for then why would you choose to have animals kept in the place when you dont have to.

not everyone lets their pets make the house smell etc, but sometimes cant be helped, and if i was the landlord even as an animal lover i would pick the person who knows to never have pets every time unless i was desperate to rent it out and couldnt"

and therein lies what i perceive to be the problem

at the moment the demand for good rental properties outstrips their availability and to that degree, the landlords do have a choice of tennants

when i do find somewhere, i do hope the landlord can find someone to take both my property and the one next door that is soon to be vacated for the same reason as mine will be cos he has been great.

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

and soon there be even less private housing due to a bill that will grant local authorities the right to discharge their duty to the private housing sector...

"and soon there be even less private housing due to a bill that will grant local authorities the right to discharge their duty to the private housing sector..."

can you come back when you've got some better news !

As a landlord I view it as my HOUSE, but the Tenant's HOME. it's a bit different with flats as there will be other issues to consider. OP just needs to check the small ads for a private landlord in his area and convince them that he is there for the long term.

As far as is reasonable I want my tenants to feel at home, so they will stay longer, if that means decorating to their taste (not always good for new tenants! magnolia still rules when advertising) or turning the garden over to Veg growing as one has done... fine! I know they will probably be staying a year or three so I can bung magnolia paint and re-turfing a lawn into the costing and write it off against the benefits of consistent rent from a long term tenant.

And what there is will be less affordable due to Benefit changes.

This is the Government "helping people back to work" apparently.

"And what there is will be less affordable due to Benefit changes.

This is the Government "helping people back to work" apparently.

"

well people will still get money if they need it im sure, they always do

» Add a new message to this topic