FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > petrol in a diesel car

petrol in a diesel car

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I shouldn't laugh but i love how much of a numpty my grandparents can be at times.. i did warn him this very thing might happen.

He's always had unleaded and recently swapped and bought a diesel car

Ooooops lol

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

a big ooooooooops n expensive mistake 2 ,,,,,my o.h did exact same thing with motorcycle ,,u just cant help but laugh,,,,,

I once did that too, the garage assistant told me not to worry and just continue to fill up with diesel as normal. My car was fine thank goodness.

lucky it was that way around ... i'm sure any forum petrolheads will correct me if i'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure diesel into a petrol car would be even more traumatic...

whatever happened to the Dragons Den invention which was designed to make it impossible to get the wrong nozzle into your hole...?

"lucky it was that way around ... i'm sure any forum petrolheads will correct me if i'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure diesel into a petrol car would be even more traumatic...

whatever happened to the Dragons Den invention which was designed to make it impossible to get the wrong nozzle into your hole...?

would never stop a woman tho lol

"

By *ucsparkMan  over a year ago

dudley

"lucky it was that way around ... i'm sure any forum petrolheads will correct me if i'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure diesel into a petrol car would be even more traumatic...

"

I got a ford galaxy and that as a filler that only allows diesel

By *ethany10Couple  over a year ago

falkirk

I got a ford galaxy and that as a filler that only allows diesel "

Same with my Jaguar XJ.

PETROL INTO A DIESEL CAR AT LEAST THE LATEST WOULD BE WORSE THE FUEL PUMP WOULD BE UNSERVICEABLE

My father in law put petrol in his brand new Mercedes, and that was a diesel!!! Quite expensive mistake!!!!

Well he drove 15 miles home before realising... 250 quid for the aa to come out and make it all good again..

Im still laughing haha

By *U1966Man  over a year ago

Devon

Should of used local garage usually drain and refill the tank with correct fuel and trade use fuel cleaner does the trick

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

"Well he drove 15 miles home before realising... 250 quid for the aa to come out and make it all good again..

Im still laughing haha"

I think that's a strange thing to laugh at....them being your grandparents and all that.

By *obinhood-maidmarionCouple  over a year ago

Worksop

you can get away with putting petrol in a diesel car, (aslong as you dont fill it to the brim) if you put petrol in and realise your mistake then fill the rest up with diesel, all that will happen is it will clean the injectors out good and propper!

you cannot put diesel into a petrol car though, it simply knackers it up, all to do with lubricants, diesel doesnt have lubricants in it so would ruin a petrol engine (which needs lubricants)

but petrol has lubricant in it. Might have that the wrong way round now, jeez im confused talking about lubricant

"Well he drove 15 miles home before realising... 250 quid for the aa to come out and make it all good again..

Im still laughing haha

I think that's a strange thing to laugh at....them being your grandparents and all that."

they are laughing too..

"Should of used local garage usually drain and refill the tank with correct fuel and trade use fuel cleaner does the trick "

He did phone up his local dealership who said the aa would be cheaper.

"

funny i was thinking they should have made nozzles that wouldnt fit into the wrong type of hole..

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

My ex did that just as we were going to drive to Austria. Broke down on the m25, had to pay £99 for the AA to add relay to his account and take us back to my nans then £300 on tickets (one way!!!) To get to salzburg, 3 hours from his parents house. Got there and realised we picked the wrong bag up so had to drive back to Salzburg to sort that out, hire a car, pay for his driving licence to be renewed and buy tickets home.

It was not a jolly holiday and to top it all off I got about 30 mozzie bites on one leg

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

Oh and then we had to get home from Dagenham which involved waiting 6 hours for another AA man

By *U1966Man  over a year ago

Devon

"Should of used local garage usually drain and refill the tank with correct fuel and trade use fuel cleaner does the trick

He did phone up his local dealership who said the aa would be cheaper."

Depends on dealership we usually can rectify problem for £80 - £120 but depends on the car

"

A diesel nozzle wouldn't fit into a petrol tank

I did sane after arguing with my ex watching the guy next to me pulling out petrol nozzle and absentminded pit petrol in my diesel got a hose sucked out the fuel filled it back up no problem

By *teborahCouple  over a year ago

warrington

"you can get away with putting petrol in a diesel car, (aslong as you dont fill it to the brim) if you put petrol in and realise your mistake then fill the rest up with diesel, all that will happen is it will clean the injectors out good and propper!

you cannot put diesel into a petrol car though, it simply knackers it up, all to do with lubricants, diesel doesnt have lubricants in it so would ruin a petrol engine (which needs lubricants)

but petrol has lubricant in it. Might have that the wrong way round now, jeez im confused talking about lubricant "

Yep fraid you got it all mixed up there. Petrol contains solvents which is a big no no in modern diesel engines as they require lubrication. even the slightest ammount of petrol through a diesel hp pump will destroy it maybe not straight away but it will in the future, Diesel in a petrol engine will just smoke for a while and piss the driver of the car that follows it off

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

"you can get away with putting petrol in a diesel car, (aslong as you dont fill it to the brim) if you put petrol in and realise your mistake then fill the rest up with diesel, all that will happen is it will clean the injectors out good and propper!

but petrol has lubricant in it. Might have that the wrong way round now, jeez im confused talking about lubricant

Yep fraid you got it all mixed up there. Petrol contains solvents which is a big no no in modern diesel engines as they require lubrication. even the slightest ammount of petrol through a diesel hp pump will destroy it maybe not straight away but it will in the future, Diesel in a petrol engine will just smoke for a while and piss the driver of the car that follows it off "

I used to work for a car hire company. We had a customer fill a petrol Rover 216 with diesel and whilst it still went it wasn`t the same and lost performance. We also had a bloody good petrol Transit minibus that got similarly treated. Whilst not so bad as the Rover, it too lost performance.

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

On the other hand I had to drain petrol out of the same diesel car twice! I put the petrol in my old Range Rover and boy did it knock and smoke if you tried to cane it! Never did it any permanent damage though, probably because there wasn`t that much diesel mixed in!

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

When I bought my Transit van the tank was 3/4 full. Sold as seen. Some twat had put petrol in it. £2,500 for the van, £1,250 to put it right Grrrr

» Add a new message to this topic