FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > TVs.....in the bedroom

TVs.....in the bedroom

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *upitersmile OP   Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

Now I have 3 kids and have never allowed them to have tvs in their rooms. At times this has even caused rows with OH. I never had one but my brother did and even now he is glued to it and is ruled by sky+!

I think kids need to use their imagination more and learn to entertain themselfs without the need for technology. I encourge them to play with board games, read and be creative in the evenings and weekends. They will be mean poker players soon lol

However they do have portable DVD players and the eldest has a netbook... With an abundance of parental controls I might add!

What are your views on kids with tvs/computers and the likes in their rooms?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *kmale421Man  over a year ago

wirral

Well to put this into perspective, my "kids" are now 26 and 23 years old and this happened when the eldest was about 12 to 13.

The youngest wanted a TV in her room, and the eldest wanted a mobile phone. I was against both because I felt a TV in the room would keep her away from the family, whether we were watching TV or playing games or whatever.

As for the eldest, I refused the phone believing at the time it was totally unwarrented and she slearly knew she wasn't getting it for Xmas. By the following year, I was prepared to bow to the inevitable and had got the said telly and phone to give out on Xmas day.

Now in our house at that time we still had Xmas sacks, so in the eldests sack I had carefully wrapped a phone cover. The plan was to play a joke and give her the phone at breakfast (I have to say this was after a few weeks of teasing that she didn't need a phone). Anyway, presents unwrapped we head down for Xmas breakfast and a disappointed eldest daughter. At that time I was inwardly chuckling thinking the joke was going perfect and knowing I had this great new phone and TV for the youngster to give as soon as breakfast was finished.

Unfortunately, foolish me couldn't resist one more wind up comment and next moment eldest bursts into tears. Disaster! Cue chastened Dad rushing upstairs to get said phone and TV for immediate unwrapping and full of apologies, total backfire of the joke and in the end whole family ribbed me for what turned out to be years later over it, so all ended well in the end...

In the end TV's in kids room is ok, maybe if you have a seperate downstars room you could put 1 telly in mainly for kids use and as for computers they are good but unless the kiddys over 16 I strongly advise they are used only where you can see them being used.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Mine have a tv in their room and only watch it before bedtime. They still prefer playing out and with their toys, the novelty soon wears off!

I had a TV in my bedroom but just didn't work for me. Even with the best clothes and makeup he just wasn't convincing.

Manchester

Yes we have 2 tvs downstairs so they offen use that and the wii. My eldest is 12 this month and I finally gave in and bought her a phone last year, but up to then I was the cruelest mother!!! I tend to wind then up at Xmas too and the present they most wanted leave till last or boxing day to give them! Lol

My main concern regarding tv in their rooms is sitting up all night or forgetting how to relive boredom without it. For instance now the weather is turning my nephew (also 12) has abandoned his mates and sits in his room for hours at a time, whereas I still kick mine out of the house to play!

Always had tv in bedroom and DVD player - it gives a chance to get some quality time as a couple without constant interruption !

Manchester

"I had a TV in my bedroom but just didn't work for me. Even with the best clothes and makeup he just wasn't convincing."

Maybe you didn't have the right model lol

my daughter is almost 3 and im point blank refusing to get her one. When its bedtime that means bath, story and cuddles she has never had a problem getting to sleep. We have our routine.

In the mornings she wakes up and plays with her toys.

Im 23 i had a tv and games console in my room from when i was 5.

I dont think it spoiled my imagination or anything else, i think it all depends on the level of trust and responsibility.

I had a healthy respect for my mother and never abused the fact i had tv and a console, now that i have my own house my own rules i do not see tv as a key part of my life just something to possibly watch for maybe an hour a day before heading out and enjoying my surroundings and the company of friends

I never had a tv in my room until I went to uni at 18 and quite honestly I'm glad I didn't. I got my first phone at 15 and I bought it with money I'd saved from babysitting. I also bought my own tv I hasten to add. It taught me the value of things.

I think kids (Including our own) need to use their imagination more and learn to entertain themselfs without the need for technology. I never had it in my day and had to make my own entertainment

Billy

Manchester

"my daughter is almost 3 and im point blank refusing to get her one. When its bedtime that means bath, story and cuddles she has never had a problem getting to sleep. We have our routine.

In the mornings she wakes up and plays with her toys. "

My youngest is 3 too, it's so much nicer to sit and watch a DVD together with lots of cuddles xx

Manchester

"I never had a tv in my room until I went to uni at 18 and quite honestly I'm glad I didn't. I got my first phone at 15 and I bought it with money I'd saved from babysitting. I also bought my own tv I hasten to add. It taught me the value of things. "

Yes that's another point, learning the value of money. To many kids expect too much. I'm very lucky that mine are more than happy ti save up and buy something themselfs, I think they take more pride and care in something they have worked for

I bought my first phone at 18, I didn't really want it but it was just before my due date and I was paranoid I'd go into labour on my own lol

By *inkyScot22Man  over a year ago

Anniesland

It should be said that by not permitting a tv in the bedroom could jeopardise a future career in media or advertising...

My children all had tv's in their rooms when they were younger.

It got to the point that i never saw them.

Our grandchildren now live with us and they DONt have them

No never have a tv in bed prefer to go to bed with a good book x

Manchester

"My children all had tv's in their rooms when they were younger.

It got to the point that i never saw them.

Our grandchildren now live with us and they DONt have them"

All my children had/have telly's in their bedrooms. I just never connected them to an aerial though, dvd/video or games console only.

"My youngest is 3 too, it's so much nicer to sit and watch a DVD together with lots of cuddles xx "

I could do that during the day time on a wet rainy day of it and its almost a treat to just mong about, but i was never a book worm as a child so feel its super important to read a story to my daughter.

Still dont think there will ever be a right or wrong way to parent.. its just what suits our individual routines

By *aris23Woman  over a year ago

France

No TV in my bedroom or my little grandson's room - these rooms are for sleeping in. We watch TV together in the lounge or not at all. Rest of the time we play, learn, occasionally get the Wii out, read etc. I love him and love spending quality time with him.

Never gave in to my own children with bedroom TV's either. Once they were out at work and bought their own it was different...lol

» Add a new message to this topic