FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Presents

Presents

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

The valentines thread got me thinking.

Is it better to get a present, one that’s had no thought in it (like my ex who used to buy me my least favourite flowers, despite knowing I didn’t like those, and that I don’t like cut flowers either), or to get nothing at all.

I’m not, and wasn’t ungrateful, but what’s better in your opinion?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *yron69Man  over a year ago

Fareham

A good shag

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

My dad always used to tell me not to get him anything, so to flip this question around, if gifting is your "love language" isn't it harsh to deny someone the pleasure of showing their love with a gift?

By *ndyn50000Man  over a year ago

Birmingham

Get nothing.

A pointless present that is just going in the bin combines thoughtlessness and waste of money. Just ask them to hand over the cash instead....

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

I don't like thoughtless gifts, and I bloody hate red roses. I'd much prefer he'd cook my favourite meal or get some nice food in and spend time together.

By *eliWoman  over a year ago

Ach. Part of me thinks that even if people get it wrong, they can take a lot of joy from the act of gifting. Sometimes, if it's a passive aggressive present, it would be better to have nothing. Presents shouldn't be given out of a sense of obligation, more because it brings both parties happiness (ideally). So if it wouldn't, I'd tend to err on doing nothing.

Suggesting it's a gift with no thought does sound a wee bit ungrateful.

Depending on the context, I'd probably be gracious in my acceptance

"My dad always used to tell me not to get him anything, so to flip this question around, if gifting is your "love language" isn't it harsh to deny someone the pleasure of showing their love with a gift?"

Gifting isn’t my love language, but yes, you have a point. I was never ungrateful though.

"I don't like thoughtless gifts, and I bloody hate red roses. I'd much prefer he'd cook my favourite meal or get some nice food in and spend time together. "

This for me too

We don’t do gifts, we do memories. So we usually go for a nice meal and book a hotel or a spa. We haven’t arranged anything this year though

"Suggesting it's a gift with no thought does sound a wee bit ungrateful.

Depending on the context, I'd probably be gracious in my acceptance "

But, it was a gift with no thought?

I was still gracious in my acceptance though

"We don’t do gifts, we do memories. So we usually go for a nice meal and book a hotel or a spa. We haven’t arranged anything this year though "

Oh I love this

Still time …..

By *uriousscouserWoman  over a year ago

Wirral

It's never about the gift for me, always about the thought. Gifting isn't my love language, but I've had partners where that was the way they expressed their love. It was normally with small but very thoughtful things.

I used to get really annoyed with my mum for wasting her money on gifts for me that I was never going to appreciate, things that I actively disliked that she would buy me that I used to take as an insult (I know you hate this but I value your opinion so little I'm going to buy it anyway).

I realise now the gifts aren't about me, they're about her. At Christmas I unwrap them and thank her, then they get bundled into a carrier bag and dropped off at a charity shop when they open after the holidays.

Buying the gifts is the important thing for my mum, not whether I like them. It's all quite performative and isn't anything to do with me personally.

I still find it horribly wasteful but no longer feel it an insult.

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

I have been ungrateful in the past, for example my ex bought flowers from a florist, which he never did. As an apology instead of talking things through or give a proper apology. They ended in the bin.

"It's never about the gift for me, always about the thought. Gifting isn't my love language, but I've had partners where that was the way they expressed their love. It was normally with small but very thoughtful things.

I used to get really annoyed with my mum for wasting her money on gifts for me that I was never going to appreciate, things that I actively disliked that she would buy me that I used to take as an insult (I know you hate this but I value your opinion so little I'm going to buy it anyway).

I realise now the gifts aren't about me, they're about her. At Christmas I unwrap them and thank her, then they get bundled into a carrier bag and dropped off at a charity shop when they open after the holidays.

Buying the gifts is the important thing for my mum, not whether I like them. It's all quite performative and isn't anything to do with me personally.

I still find it horribly wasteful but no longer feel it an insult."

This is a very insightful post, so thank you.

He was also a knob head (my ex) and emotionally abusive, so it was probably wrapped up in that too.

Anyone else, I would be the same as you

"I have been ungrateful in the past, for example my ex bought flowers from a florist, which he never did. As an apology instead of talking things through or give a proper apology. They ended in the bin. "

I hear that

"We don’t do gifts, we do memories. So we usually go for a nice meal and book a hotel or a spa. We haven’t arranged anything this year though

Oh I love this

Still time ….."

We’ve got a lot on from now until the summer so it’ll probably just be a quiet night in with some nice food and a couple of drinks. I’ll try and make it special though

"We don’t do gifts, we do memories. So we usually go for a nice meal and book a hotel or a spa. We haven’t arranged anything this year though

Oh I love this

Still time …..

We’ve got a lot on from now until the summer so it’ll probably just be a quiet night in with some nice food and a couple of drinks. I’ll try and make it special though "

that’s all that is needed, the thought I think

"My dad always used to tell me not to get him anything, so to flip this question around, if gifting is your "love language" isn't it harsh to deny someone the pleasure of showing their love with a gift?

Gifting isn’t my love language, but yes, you have a point. I was never ungrateful though. "

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to come across as critical of your OP, gifting with no heed to the person you are buying for is a statement in itself, isnt it! You are saying that if you Are going to give a gift, at least put some thought into it! xx

"My dad always used to tell me not to get him anything, so to flip this question around, if gifting is your "love language" isn't it harsh to deny someone the pleasure of showing their love with a gift?

Gifting isn’t my love language, but yes, you have a point. I was never ungrateful though.

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to come across as critical of your OP, gifting with no heed to the person you are buying for is a statement in itself, isnt it! You are saying that if you Are going to give a gift, at least put some thought into it! xx"

I didn’t take it as a criticism . Yes, exactly that

By *wingfellowMan  over a year ago

my own little sanctuary

"The valentines thread got me thinking.

Is it better to get a present, one that’s had no thought in it (like my ex who used to buy me my least favourite flowers, despite knowing I didn’t like those, and that I don’t like cut flowers either), or to get nothing at all.

I’m not, and wasn’t ungrateful, but what’s better in your opinion? "

I think it’s best to get bugger all if it’s had no thought put into it. I would always opt for a ‘gift’… to many it’s one and the same but I see a present as a physical thing, whereas a gift is something that needn’t be physical it can be tune itself and gifts are always filled with love.

That’s my dodgy way of looking at things anyway lol.

I think it’s best to get bugger all if it’s had no thought put into it. I would always opt for a ‘gift’… to many it’s one and the same but I see a present as a physical thing, whereas a gift is something that needn’t be physical it can be tune itself and gifts are always filled with love.

That’s my dodgy way of looking at things anyway lol."

Love this! I know what you mean, like when someone hears a song and it makes them think of you, so they send it to you?

By *ost SockMan  over a year ago

West Wales and Cardiff

"We don’t do gifts, we do memories. So we usually go for a nice meal and book a hotel or a spa. We haven’t arranged anything this year though "

I find present buying stupidly stressful, and so do people I buy them for!

This is a really nice approach - I’ve focused much more on this in recent years, and it’s been great. Sadly the pandemic has affected it!

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

No gift = no thought at all, you don't even register on their radar.

Gift with no thought as to what you'd like to receive = insulting and indicates that they're not bothered what you think or they resent you.

Gift with consideration even if wildly off the mark = someone who cares.

That's how I see things. The first two would upset me

"No gift = no thought at all, you don't even register on their radar.

Gift with no thought as to what you'd like to receive = insulting and indicates that they're not bothered what you think or they resent you.

That's how I see things. The first two would upset me "

This pretty much sums it up for me I think.

By *wingfellowMan  over a year ago

my own little sanctuary

That’s my dodgy way of looking at things anyway lol.

Love this! I know what you mean, like when someone hears a song and it makes them think of you, so they send it to you? "

Exactly, if the lyrics resonate with you then you know they’ve taken the time to understand you in that way. Most encounters never scratch the surface of our personality and emotion.

"My dad always used to tell me not to get him anything, so to flip this question around, if gifting is your "love language" isn't it harsh to deny someone the pleasure of showing their love with a gift?"

My daughter said that to me.

I’m very generous be she showed me that I was denying others the opportunity to be so.

My daughter said that to me.

I’m very generous be she showed me that I was denying others the opportunity to be so. "

That’s a whole other thread, the ability to receive

That's how I see things. The first two would upset me "

Agree. Nothing more disheartening than the words what do you want for your birthday/Christmas/anniversary/valentine's/father's day/ Easter, I don't know what to get you?

Its lazy and shows throughout the year you've paid no attention to your partner. I had a girlfriend who didn't have any money but always was inventive with presents, never expensive just considered. I learned a lot from her. Unfortunately the ex who benefited was the one who did the above.

Better to use the thoughtless gift money on a nice meal out, or something like that. I wouldn’t be impressed with no gesture at all.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Agree. Nothing more disheartening than the words what do you want for your birthday/Christmas/anniversary/valentine's/father's day/ Easter, I don't know what to get you?

Its lazy and shows throughout the year you've paid no attention to your partner. I had a girlfriend who didn't have any money but always was inventive with presents, never expensive just considered. I learned a lot from her. Unfortunately the ex who benefited was the one who did the above. "

I don't mind being asked, we've been together so long that we've bought each other pretty much every gift possible. We're at the stage now where we try to go a bit off piste, on Christmas Eve we were laughing and saying we were going to be unwrapping gifts in the morning looking at each other and saying "what in god's name were you thinking!?" .

Its lazy and shows throughout the year you've paid no attention to your partner. I had a girlfriend who didn't have any money but always was inventive with presents, never expensive just considered. I learned a lot from her. Unfortunately the ex who benefited was the one who did the above.

I don't mind being asked, we've been together so long that we've bought each other pretty much every gift possible. We're at the stage now where we try to go a bit off piste, on Christmas Eve we were laughing and saying we were going to be unwrapping gifts in the morning looking at each other and saying "what in god's name were you thinking!?" . "

I think that's lovely to get to that stage. My friend and his wife have the serious present (request or hint) and the practical joke one. They're always well thought out and very funny.

[Removed by poster at 29/01/22 11:56:09]

"[Removed by poster at 29/01/22 11:56:09]"

Some present there

I’m not, and wasn’t ungrateful, but what’s better in your opinion? "

That's not a gift, it's a way of fucking with your head and saying your feelings are worthless and irrelevant. A virtual slap.

Glad he's your ex.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I don't mind being asked, we've been together so long that we've bought each other pretty much every gift possible. We're at the stage now where we try to go a bit off piste, on Christmas Eve we were laughing and saying we were going to be unwrapping gifts in the morning looking at each other and saying "what in god's name were you thinking!?" .

I think that's lovely to get to that stage. My friend and his wife have the serious present (request or hint) and the practical joke one. They're always well thought out and very funny. "

We each had something this year that the other had to explain what it was

That's not a gift, it's a way of fucking with your head and saying your feelings are worthless and irrelevant. A virtual slap.

Glad he's your ex. "

Thank you

Me too, as glad as the gladdest thing ever!

I think that's lovely to get to that stage. My friend and his wife have the serious present (request or hint) and the practical joke one. They're always well thought out and very funny.

We each had something this year that the other had to explain what it was "

I love that

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Glad he's your ex.

Thank you

Me too, as glad as the gladdest thing ever!"

You finally got a gift worth having from him...his absence

Glad he's your ex. "

I was just about to put this too, really glad he's your ex OP, mind games are evil xxx

It’s not the actual getting a gift it’s thought process that goes in to it !

Might be just card !

And romantic meal at home !

Makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside

Gifts are meant to represent someone thinking of you I reckon.

I used to get my friend a bottle of Dooleys for each Christmas as a jokey tradition.

She said one year, 'ynkow I don't like Dooleys don't you?' She always gave it to her husband.

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

We gift each other quality time together x

I think a gift shows appreciation no matter what it is.

I dont expect, but do appreciate when thought that goes into something. Im not one for big costly extravagance, id much sooner go for meaningful & thoughtful even with a card im not the nip to tesco and grab type, however i do appreciate some people are that type and thats ok... because the appreciation is there. And ultimately thats all that matters

"We gift each other quality time together x"

Love that

Glad he's your ex.

I was just about to put this too, really glad he's your ex OP, mind games are evil xxx"

Glad he's your ex.

Thank you

Me too, as glad as the gladdest thing ever!

You finally got a gift worth having from him...his absence "

Haha! Hell yes!

By *parkle1974Woman  over a year ago

Leeds

The best and most precious gift you can ever give anyone is your time.

"The best and most precious gift you can ever give anyone is your time."

This I totally agree with.

Mrs KC

By *nfin8yWoman  over a year ago

Newcastle-under-Lyme

I’d rather have the gift of time doing something fun with someone I like than Stuff

"I’d rather have the gift of time doing something fun with someone I like than Stuff"

Me too I guess it’s about feeling valued isn’t it.

"[Removed by poster at 29/01/22 11:56:09]

Some present there "

I wrote something then realised I didn’t answer your question! I’ve thought about it and in all honesty, valentines really doesn’t matter to me. My partner and I never do anything for it other than buy each other a card write a nice message in it. I don’t think we’ve ever bought presents. But for those that celebrate I think it seems like they want something that shows someone cares- time or a gift.

Some present there

I wrote something then realised I didn’t answer your question! I’ve thought about it and in all honesty, valentines really doesn’t matter to me. My partner and I never do anything for it other than buy each other a card write a nice message in it. I don’t think we’ve ever bought presents. But for those that celebrate I think it seems like they want something that shows someone cares- time or a gift. "

Not necessarily for Valentines, just a general thing

Some present there

I wrote something then realised I didn’t answer your question! I’ve thought about it and in all honesty, valentines really doesn’t matter to me. My partner and I never do anything for it other than buy each other a card write a nice message in it. I don’t think we’ve ever bought presents. But for those that celebrate I think it seems like they want something that shows someone cares- time or a gift.

Not necessarily for Valentines, just a general thing "

Oh sorry. I don’t really care beyond an acknowledgment of the fact that it’s a special occasion and gracing me with her presence.

By *ily WhiteWoman  over a year ago

?

As someone who puts a lot of thought into buying gifts, I do feel a bit upset if somebody that should know me well doesn't put at least a bit of thought into it. And it's nothing to do with the value...I'd rather have a bar of chocolate that I love than VIP tickets to see a show that I don't like. I guess it's a feeling of disappointment that somebody I care for doesn't really pay that much attention to me.

"As someone who puts a lot of thought into buying gifts, I do feel a bit upset if somebody that should know me well doesn't put at least a bit of thought into it. And it's nothing to do with the value...I'd rather have a bar of chocolate that I love than VIP tickets to see a show that I don't like. I guess it's a feeling of disappointment that somebody I care for doesn't really pay that much attention to me. "

This is exactly it. It doesn’t matter the cost, it’s the consideration.

By *ryandseeMan  over a year ago

Yorkshire

Everyone is different and some give and expect gifts on valentine's day, for others it's not their thing. A card is always nice and if gifting, it has to be something different more personal like a lovely dinner or a spa day together or a gorgeous puppy( if you knew they wanted one and will be loved and will be looked after well), that sort of thing really. Who wants another jumper on valentine's day

» Add a new message to this topic