FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Disastrous Dinners

Disastrous Dinners

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ady Lick OP   Woman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

What's your most disastrous dinner?

I thought rather than have just roast beef last Sunday I'd pimp it up and have beef Wellington. Looked lovely when it went in the oven. I'd pre cooked it, cheated with pastry but made a nice mushroom/pate mix for the bit inbetween the meat and pastry.

Checked it after 30 mins and the pastry had kind of melted and fallen off, it looked like a volcano that had erupted. I was a bit but thought it'll be ok it all goes down the same way. Left it for another 25 mins, took it out, had a bit of a giggle at the mess.

Got all the veg ready.

Carved into the Wellington, fucking thing was almost raw. I did feel a bit upset about this, mainly because we were all starving.

I decided to cut it into thick slices and shove it back in, not quite the same but at least we could eat it.

Anyway I overcooked the bastard and threw it in the bin in a rage!

Ended up ordering Dominoes....on a Sunday. I am going to hell!

What a waste of time and money, did enjoy the pizza though

Sorry to bore you, anyway what's yours?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Baked Alaska

Not enough meringue

Melted ice cream everywhere

1st and last attempt

Sticking to arctic roll.

By *ssex_tomMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

Pot Noodle.. too much water

By *ryandseeMan  over a year ago

Yorkshire

"What's your most disastrous dinner?

I thought rather than have just roast beef last Sunday I'd pimp it up and have beef Wellington. Looked lovely when it went in the oven. I'd pre cooked it, cheated with pastry but made a nice mushroom/pate mix for the bit inbetween the meat and pastry.

Checked it after 30 mins and the pastry had kind of melted and fallen off, it looked like a volcano that had erupted. I was a bit but thought it'll be ok it all goes down the same way. Left it for another 25 mins, took it out, had a bit of a giggle at the mess.

Got all the veg ready.

Carved into the Wellington, fucking thing was almost raw. I did feel a bit upset about this, mainly because we were all starving.

I decided to cut it into thick slices and shove it back in, not quite the same but at least we could eat it.

Sorry to bore you, anyway what's yours?"

Oh dear, not good but then again it's not an easy one to get right. I am sure you will next time. My worst was years ago, forgot the stew on, got burnt, even the pan, nearly burned the place down. Everything gone black, took me days to clean all the surfaces and walls etc, disaster. Neve again, fingers crossed

I made a chocolate & caramel flapjack traybake

It was like a flagstone

I couldn't even cut it with an electric knife

Northampton Somewhere

"Baked Alaska

Not enough meringue

1st and last attempt

Sticking to arctic roll. "

I said I'd never make that again. Cheaper and less hassle to buy a ready made one.

Do they still make arctic roll?

Northampton Somewhere

"Pot Noodle.. too much water"

Fail

By *hilloutMan  over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

Got all the veg ready.

That was funny Op. Sorry

Sausages i was cooking i completely forgot about. Nearly burned my kitchen!

By *orthern StarsCouple  over a year ago

Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

I'm so sorry Lady Lick but that did make me giggle.

I think my worst was when I'd made an apple crumble but dropped it when I took it out of the oven. The glass dish smashed into a thousand smithereens and crumble all over the kitchen floor, units and the cooker. I think I may of actually cried.

By *izzy.miss.lizzyCouple  over a year ago

Pembrokeshire

I can't cook a decent stew to save my life.

The beef is usually totally unchewable,

the lentils all sink to the bottom and burn and everything else is boiled to death.

Dumplings are like lead, and taste worse than wallpaper paste.

Most stews taste better on the second day when they have chilled and reheated.

Mine just seems to get worse.

Thats' why I don't try to make it now.

My worst dinner experience was when I failed to press the extra button that actually switched the oven on.. we enjoyed a wonderfully cold platter

"Baked Alaska

Not enough meringue

1st and last attempt

Sticking to arctic roll.

I said I'd never make that again. Cheaper and less hassle to buy a ready made one.

Do they still make arctic roll?"

If they don't they should in my humble ....

Northampton Somewhere

Got all the veg ready.

Oh dear, not good but then again it's not an easy one to get right. I am sure you will next time. My worst was years ago, forgot the stew on, got burnt, even the pan, nearly burned the place down. Everything gone black, took me days to clean all the surfaces and walls etc, disaster. Neve again, fingers crossed "

Oh god, never had a fire in the kitchen thankfully.

Northampton Somewhere

"I made a chocolate & caramel flapjack traybake

It was like a flagstone

I couldn't even cut it with an electric knife "

Lol, I had the same issue with flapjack once.

Northampton Somewhere

Got all the veg ready.

That was funny Op. Sorry

Sausages i was cooking i completely forgot about. Nearly burned my kitchen! "

Yes, we did have a laugh about it but I asked them not to mention it ever again!

You're invited next time we do a Wellington! Husband took a hissy fit with me on boxing day (Christmas Dinner) because I was trying to move it off the wire rack to cut that he was cooking it on (so the bottom didn't go soggy) and half of it collapsed

Mr has made whole dinners and its gone in the bin and we've ordered. Happens to the best of us x

Northampton Somewhere

"I'm so sorry Lady Lick but that did make me giggle.

I think my worst was when I'd made an apple crumble but dropped it when I took it out of the oven. The glass dish smashed into a thousand smithereens and crumble all over the kitchen floor, units and the cooker. I think I may of actually cried."

I would of been more annoyed at all the cleaning up.

Northampton Somewhere

"I can't cook a decent stew to save my life.

The beef is usually totally unchewable,

the lentils all sink to the bottom and burn and everything else is boiled to death.

Dumplings are like lead, and taste worse than wallpaper paste.

Most stews taste better on the second day when they have chilled and reheated.

Mine just seems to get worse.

Thats' why I don't try to make it now."

Don't blame you!

Northampton Somewhere

"My worst dinner experience was when I failed to press the extra button that actually switched the oven on.. we enjoyed a wonderfully cold platter "

Northampton Somewhere

"Baked Alaska

Not enough meringue

1st and last attempt

Sticking to arctic roll.

If they don't they should in my humble ...."

We used to have it as a treat when I was a child.

Some chicken hot pot thing that I got off a recipe card from Sainsbury's. It was totally inedible, we had pizza that night too

"Baked Alaska

Not enough meringue

1st and last attempt

Sticking to arctic roll.

If they don't they should in my humble ....

We used to have it as a treat when I was a child."

AHH good memories we did too

Northampton Somewhere

"You're invited next time we do a Wellington! Husband took a hissy fit with me on boxing day (Christmas Dinner) because I was trying to move it off the wire rack to cut that he was cooking it on (so the bottom didn't go soggy) and half of it collapsed

Mr has made whole dinners and its gone in the bin and we've ordered. Happens to the best of us x"

You're on, so long as you guys do the cooking

I once decided 3am was a good time to deep fry chips (in a pan not deep fryer) and I fell asleep woke up to my kitchen completely on fire! This was a good 10 years ago, I’m not this hopeless anymore

By *arkus1812Man  over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

Arctic Rolls were available at both Iceland and Morrisons before Christmas

Got all the veg ready.

Important thing is you tried.

Mine wasn’t a dinner. But boiled eggs, and not just once or twice, I’ve done it a few times but the first time was the worst. Put eggs in cold water, turned gas on…. And totally forgot…. Smelt something odd…. The pot was totally dry and the eggs were bouncing around the pan, the shell on the underside was black. I think they were “on the boil” for an hour

Northampton Somewhere

"Some chicken hot pot thing that I got off a recipe card from Sainsbury's. It was totally inedible, we had pizza that night too "

Pizza always saves the day!

Northampton Somewhere

"I once decided 3am was a good time to deep fry chips (in a pan not deep fryer) and I fell asleep woke up to my kitchen completely on fire! This was a good 10 years ago, I’m not this hopeless anymore "

Bloody hell! I've never used a deep fat fryer. My mum set one on fire once and it scared the shit out of me.

» Add a new message to this topic