FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Can you be your own fitness coach?

Can you be your own fitness coach?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hagTonight OP   Man  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

I would say yes you can and I have been that ever since my early days and got very good results. I do alot of research and also train smart and I track my progress like, to regularly weigh myself and take measurements. I never bulk, but rather maingain so that when the time comes to cut, you dont have to do it for months as you are almost already in shape, my abs are my indicators to see what needs to be done, what kind of things do you do if you are coaching yourself?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I spent 6 months with a PT/coach, who gave me the ground knowledge base with which to work on my own. Now I largely do my own coaching and programming, but I still have the odd session with my paid coach if I feel something in particular needs looking at. Usually to do with technique and form.

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

I watch a lot of YouTube videos and read a lot of articles. Not all are good sources of information but like with anything, if you look at a range of sources you can usually figure out the overall picture and also if things tie in with your current knowledge of how the body works. As I used to dance I'm quite good at being aware of my body positioning so I can learn about form from things like videos easier. I also think you can develop a feel for it. I know the same isn't true for everyone though and others need someone else to look and readjust them.

I lie on my back and if my belly is higher than my chest I need to diet/work out..

Yes i go to push PB's i challenge myself to his xxxkg by a certain date and push it to do it. I had a 5 rep 120kg bench challenge as a target for end of jan ive hit it two weeks ago to upped the challenge to a 1 rep 130kg. I used to bulk/cut but now just maintain rather than cut up.

I have much more compliments looking how i do now than when my abs are like a draining board.

I do my own.

I have a degree in Sports Science though so that's maybe cheating

"I spent 6 months with a PT/coach, who gave me the ground knowledge base with which to work on my own. Now I largely do my own coaching and programming, but I still have the odd session with my paid coach if I feel something in particular needs looking at. Usually to do with technique and form. "
That is good

[Removed by poster at 27/01/22 18:38:04]

A really interesting question!

Reckon I’d need someone to hold me accountable

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

Sometimes it’s better to be

The barrier to becoming a PT is incredibly low.

I didn’t spend 15 years training, reading and learning so some 16 year old can do a 6 week PT course and tell me what’s what

It’s embarrassing watching most PTs in gyms. The knowledge is all out there. Unless your just paying for a cheer leader

"I watch a lot of YouTube videos and read a lot of articles. Not all are good sources of information but like with anything, if you look at a range of sources you can usually figure out the overall picture and also if things tie in with your current knowledge of how the body works. As I used to dance I'm quite good at being aware of my body positioning so I can learn about form from things like videos easier. I also think you can develop a feel for it. I know the same isn't true for everyone though and others need someone else to look and readjust them. "
That is good and yes, there are alot of misinformation too, but yes, some good ones too. I also watch alot of utube about it, one fitness influencer that I like and have good information is greg doucette and yes, you can develop a feel from it as well

Yes! I know my own body better than anyone and know my target areas as well as my limits

By *iscean_dreamMan  over a year ago

Llanelli

Never have and never will pay someone to help with my fitness, I've done fine so far

By *oeBeansMan  over a year ago

Derby

I think you can be but it can take longer to put things together in a way you know can benefit you and your goals despite all the information out there. It can be pretty overwhelming. I started going to the gym in 2017 and had an induction which helped me a bit but got demotivated quite quickly so never saw any real progress because I didn't know how to keep my momentum and push through the inevitable wall.

It wasn't until 2020 that I took things more seriously and once I found out one thing that made sense, it allowed me to dig deeper into certain subjects and use them to get better and change things when I know there's a lull.

In summary, PTs can provide a good base but only you can know what's good for you long term

By *uby StarCouple  over a year ago

Durham

Good god no. I need someone to motivate my arse and make me work out hard.

yes, yoga helps me mentally (with meditation) and physically (asanas)

I'm too lazy to hold myself accountable

By *rad670Man  over a year ago

South Lakes

I think you can but only to a certain extent, it takes a lot of dedication and ther'es no quick fix so on your own it's easy to say "not tonight" or "I'll eat clean tomorrow", having that extra person willing you on and pushing you a bit will get you that bit further I reckon.

By *urora1912Woman  over a year ago

Norfolk East anglia

I can't that's why Im now going to a pt

What I do find useful is having a training partner. I think it's hard to have the same motivation on your own.

"What I do find useful is having a training partner. I think it's hard to have the same motivation on your own."

100% this. Someone to push, motivate, be accountable to besides yourself. Inspire each other.

Sadly, because I train late in the evenings, a training partner is hard to come by.

» Add a new message to this topic