FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Would you eat...

Would you eat...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

...out of date food?

I've got a sesame chicken salad use by date of tomorrow. I reckon it'll still be OK for lunch.

Should I eat it or not?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *hocCock1Man  over a year ago

Southampton

Eat it, it'll be ok

By *he AmbassadorMan  over a year ago

IRLANDA. / Prague. / Cil Dara

Totally fine,

By *aughty but nice...Man  over a year ago

Staffs

Yes if it's only a day out of date

By *rincess peachWoman  over a year ago

shits creek

If it's use by tomorrow it should be fine, but I'd do a salad check rather than worry about the chicken, the salad might have gone all wilty and sloppy

Ah I meant use by date of today...

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"If it's use by tomorrow it should be fine, but I'd do a salad check rather than worry about the chicken, the salad might have gone all wilty and sloppy "

You don't want a sloppy lettuce.

"Ah I meant use by date of today..."

It'll be fine.

By *hoirCouple  over a year ago

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

"...out of date food?

I've got a sesame chicken salad use by date of tomorrow. I reckon it'll still be OK for lunch.

Should I eat it or not? "

It depends on the quality of the food and what it is.

C

Should be fine,. Trust your nose too

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple  over a year ago

Lincoln

Yes. If it still looks fine and it still smells fine, then it's probably still fine

LvM

If it’s got today’s date on it should be fine just use your nose if it smells funny don’t risk it. Generally today’s date is fine though

By *P994Man  over a year ago

Travelling

The smell test always works a treat with out of date food and if you can’t smell anything and ain’t sure get someone you don’t like to test it first

By *aviniaCDTV/TS  over a year ago

Leeds (close to GAP)

Freeze it overnight, it'll have thawed again by lunch. Freezing prolongs the use by date

Smell test. I dont go by date... my food doesnt really have dates anyway as i buy unpackaged & fresh. Couldnt even entertain smelly supermarket chicken

If it's best before should be fine, if it's use by get rid.

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

I regularly eat stuff that's past its date. I'll look and sniff rather than check a date. I've never had any problems. Luke

"Freeze it overnight, it'll have thawed again by lunch. Freezing prolongs the use by date"

Great idea! I'll freeze it. Thanks

By *anae21Woman  over a year ago

Nearer than you think

Trust your eyes and your nose. Slimy leaves, sweaty meat? Bin it!

I'd give half to Mrs W&W without her knowing the sell by date , give it a hour if she's ok is a gud un

Sweaty meat...yuk.

By *etcplCouple  over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

"...out of date food?

Should I eat it or not? "

Just microwave on full power for 5 minutes, that kills all germs dead!

I’m ultra fussy about this, I don’t even like eating things if the use by date is the next day...I like to have at least 2 days left. I’m sure the manufacturers have a safety factor so the actual use by date is probably later than the one on the packet but I still don’t risk it.

My nan used to freeze everything and would give me food out of her freezer that was months out of date, she would have been upset if I refused it as she loved feeding me so I used to take it home and throw it out but tell her I ate it and it was delicious. Hated wasting food but I couldn’t bring myself to eat it.

By *uxom redCouple  over a year ago

Shrewsbury

Best before fine,

Use by date, use your common sense and smell. Use by means that.

Potentially batceria will develop and that causes the problem.

If it don't smell or look or taste as it should don't eat any more!

"I'd give half to Mrs W&W without her knowing the sell by date , give it a hour if she's ok is a gud un "

That's awful!

You'd be better waiting two hours.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

For me it about how you have looked after it.

So was it in to a fridge ASAP.

And keep cold all the time?

I do my shopping strange tins well beer first at the bottom as heavy then bottles then dry goods, then frozen followed by fridge the frozen keeping it all cold till I get home oh fruit on top with bread don't want it squashed.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"I’m ultra fussy about this, I don’t even like eating things if the use by date is the next day...I like to have at least 2 days left. I’m sure the manufacturers have a safety factor so the actual use by date is probably later than the one on the packet but I still don’t risk it.

My nan used to freeze everything and would give me food out of her freezer that was months out of date, she would have been upset if I refused it as she loved feeding me so I used to take it home and throw it out but tell her I ate it and it was delicious. Hated wasting food but I couldn’t bring myself to eat it. "

You know you don’t need the dates at all , you know if it’s good , they just disconnect you from food and make you anxious

"I’m ultra fussy about this, I don’t even like eating things if the use by date is the next day...I like to have at least 2 days left. I’m sure the manufacturers have a safety factor so the actual use by date is probably later than the one on the packet but I still don’t risk it.

My nan used to freeze everything and would give me food out of her freezer that was months out of date, she would have been upset if I refused it as she loved feeding me so I used to take it home and throw it out but tell her I ate it and it was delicious. Hated wasting food but I couldn’t bring myself to eat it.

You know you don’t need the dates at all , you know if it’s good , they just disconnect you from food and make you anxious "

Yeah, I know I’m being irrational and gullible but I can’t help it, my mom’s the same so I’ve inherited it from her. I’m normally a pretty care free and reckless person to be honest and it’s not in my nature to be overly cautious, but we all have our little quirks....

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Awww it’s not irrational or gullible ,but labels are only there because the government decided people are thick and can’t figure out what to eat. Don’t let them win, smell it touch it and look at it before putting it in your mouth

Yeah I'd say not necessarily an irrational fear, not if you've ever had food poisoning from out of date food.

"Awww it’s not irrational or gullible ,but labels are only there because the government decided people are thick and can’t figure out what to eat. Don’t let them win, smell it touch it and look at it before putting it in your mouth "

Thick like me asking whether I should eat something or not...hahaha

"Yeah I'd say not necessarily an irrational fear, not if you've ever had food poisoning from out of date food. "

I had food poisoning on Christmas Day once, ironically from food at a Christmas party at a doctors surgery I used to work at.....luckily I didn’t have it too bad and didn’t feel ill until after I’d enjoyed my Christmas dinner (the party was on Christmas Eve) but my 2 mates who also worked there felt ill in the morning and couldn’t eat all day. I look forward to Christmas dinner all year so I’d have been gutted if I missed it haha.

By *ryandseeMan  over a year ago

Yorkshire

I am careful generally I must say although I do freeze in good time to avoid going over the use by date. I do though have noticed issues with milk I must say. I am not sure why but seems to often go off before the use by date. I often only realise when it curdles in my coffee. Let's see how this sniff test supermarkets are bringing on instead of a use by date goes.

By *uxom redCouple  over a year ago

Shrewsbury

"Yeah I'd say not necessarily an irrational fear, not if you've ever had food poisoning from out of date food. "

I've had food poisoning from freshly cooked food.

Plus I work with food.

Nothing irrational about not wanting to become ill.

» Add a new message to this topic